Author Topic: 3rd Confederate flag rises along North Carolina interstates  (Read 10260 times)

Offline anubias

Re: 3rd Confederate flag rises along North Carolina interstates
« Reply #75 on: January 31, 2018, 11:53:39 pm »
Who wants to have to continually explain to their kids why there are only 5 flags flying at Six Flags?

Online roamer_1

« Reply #76 on: January 31, 2018, 11:54:48 pm »
Why the need for an extra symbol, beyond the flag of the United States of America?

There is no flag of the "Rocky Mountain States" or the "Midwest."

What precisely is this "heritage," anyway. What is the common feature?

The Rebel Flag works just fine out here too - If you were as country as you claim, you wouldn't need to ask that question. There ain't a redneck boy anywhere that doesn't know what that flag is for.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #77 on: February 01, 2018, 12:15:06 am »
I don't denigrate the brave soldiers who died for the Southern cause.   I denigrate those who can't accept that the war was over a century and a half ago and insist on poking today's Southerners in the eye with giant Rebel battle flags that send the message that racial animus is alive and well.   Yes, they have the right to do that, as well as to claim they're just exhibiting their white pride.  Just as I have the right to criticize such provocations.

The Confederate flag is not a poke in the eye to a Southerner whose ancestors fought to leave the Union. You shouldn't have to force a State  to remain in the Union, if the State wants to leave, that should be their right. I believe our Founders would agree. Also, it seems that a country is able to leave the European Union.

The flag is not exhibiting "white pride" nor does it represent "racial animus."  Your characterization is false, insulting, and ignorant.

What other heritages should be erased from the earth in your opinion?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 12:17:15 am by austingirl »
Principles matter. Words matter.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #78 on: February 01, 2018, 12:51:08 am »
So, we've had the Spanish, Mexican, Lone Star, Confederate and the U.S. Flag, flying over where I live, at one point or another.
(Did I forget the French?)
You either ban everyone except the state and U.S. Flag, or ban none of them.
So the Original Spanish and Mexican settlers to Texas were all sweetness and light, abused no one, had no slaves, etc...

I ain't buying it.

Ban all except the current one(s) or let them all fly.

"Those that forget history are...."

That's almost right @GrouchoTex

There's a place for other symbols.
The Lone Star would be one of them - If Texas ever did rise up in rebellion, that flag would fly as a standard that every Texan's eye could see. It isn't foreign to Texas. It isn't a new thing. It's part and parcel with Texas, and as American as it gets. And it's a quirky thing - I can't think of another state flag at all that is held in such regard by it's citizens.

That's alright.

But raise that Rebel Flag over the state house, and it wouldn't just be Texans that would see it. The whole dang South would see that, and every redneck boy on the planet would look up.

Yeah that Rebel Flag is Dixie. It's her heritage and it probably means more there then anywhere. But all that, and all it stands for is imbued into Country life too -I'd bet there ain't a good ol boy one that ain't had that flag on many a patch and bumper-sticker... That doesn't remember that flag fondly as an integrated symbol of his youthful rebellion.  It ain't foreign to Country. It ain't a new thing. It is part and parcel with country life, and as American as it gets.

And more recently in my recollection, The Gadsen Flag. That's one that even quite a few Yankees might see. They'd get it.

There's a place for legitimate and righteous rebellion. Rebellion needs a standard, and that standard is usually a flag. And there ain't a single thing more American than righteous rebellion. TheLeft tries to form new rebellion and change the face of America. That's why they fight so hard to tear down these native and powerful symbols, regardless of the excuse.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 12:51:56 am by roamer_1 »

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #79 on: February 01, 2018, 01:37:32 am »

What precisely is this "heritage," anyway. What is the common feature?

Exactly the response I'd expect from a ____ like you.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 05:30:49 am by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #80 on: February 01, 2018, 01:39:54 am »
Not withstanding, I sure notice that the majority  of CBF bashers are DJT supporters.

Anyone shocked?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #81 on: February 01, 2018, 02:20:41 am »
I hate it every time we re-fight the Civil War here. Incidentally,  I just learned my great-great-grandfather fought at Gettysburg for J.E.B. Stuart. Within a few weeks,  he deserted.  On returning home, he told the family he chose the wrong side. :shrug:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #82 on: February 01, 2018, 02:38:55 am »
Worked out awesome the last time. You remember that dont'cha? That time y'all lost your ass.

@Frank Cannon

Last time it was an industrialized and heavily populated country going up against a rural country. The south even had to buy guns to arm their soldiers.

This are different now. Bring it!
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #83 on: February 01, 2018, 02:40:47 am »
I wonder how many people these days actually know where the Mason-Dixon line is?

I think more than a few would be shocked to actually know where the "South" begins.

@txradioguy

Well,you can write off Virginia now,so I guess it starts in NC these days. I know it was north of Virginia,but truthfully,Md was never really a southern state anyhow.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #84 on: February 01, 2018, 02:46:40 am »
That's almost right @GrouchoTex

There's a place for other symbols.
The Lone Star would be one of them - If Texas ever did rise up in rebellion, that flag would fly as a standard that every Texan's eye could see. It isn't foreign to Texas. It isn't a new thing. It's part and parcel with Texas, and as American as it gets. And it's a quirky thing - I can't think of another state flag at all that is held in such regard by it's citizens.

That's alright.

But raise that Rebel Flag over the state house, and it wouldn't just be Texans that would see it. The whole dang South would see that, and every redneck boy on the planet would look up.

Yeah that Rebel Flag is Dixie. It's her heritage and it probably means more there then anywhere. But all that, and all it stands for is imbued into Country life too -I'd bet there ain't a good ol boy one that ain't had that flag on many a patch and bumper-sticker... That doesn't remember that flag fondly as an integrated symbol of his youthful rebellion.  It ain't foreign to Country. It ain't a new thing. It is part and parcel with country life, and as American as it gets.

And more recently in my recollection, The Gadsen Flag. That's one that even quite a few Yankees might see. They'd get it.

There's a place for legitimate and righteous rebellion. Rebellion needs a standard, and that standard is usually a flag. And there ain't a single thing more American than righteous rebellion. TheLeft tries to form new rebellion and change the face of America. That's why they fight so hard to tear down these native and powerful symbols, regardless of the excuse.

@roamer_1

I offer a challenge to anyone who things and says the Confederate flag should be banned. Find me 10 Dim US Senators and 50 Dim US congresscritters who are willing to go on national tv and call for banning the flags of Mexico and Africa.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #85 on: February 01, 2018, 02:48:07 am »
I hate it every time we re-fight the Civil War here. Incidentally,  I just learned my great-great-grandfather fought at Gettysburg for J.E.B. Stuart. Within a few weeks,  he deserted.  On returning home, he told the family he chose the wrong side. :shrug:

@mountaineer

I guess one excuse is as good as another when you need to explain why you deserted instead of fought.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #86 on: February 01, 2018, 03:50:08 am »
@roamer_1

I offer a challenge to anyone who things and says the Confederate flag should be banned. Find me 10 Dim US Senators and 50 Dim US congresscritters who are willing to go on national tv and call for banning the flags of Mexico and Africa.

@sneakypete
I don't give two sh*ts whether they ban it or not - It's no nevermind to me...
How's it go?
"A Southren man don't need em round anyhow."

I like that.
And screw Neil Young.

! No longer available
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 03:50:38 am by roamer_1 »

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #87 on: February 01, 2018, 04:17:29 am »
You shouldn't have to force a State  to remain in the Union, if the State wants to leave, that should be their right.
@austingirl

A concept with beautiful precedent...

"When, in the course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bonds which have connected them with another . . ."
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #88 on: February 01, 2018, 04:31:24 am »
@austingirl

A concept with beautiful precedent...

"When, in the course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bonds which have connected them with another . . ."

Yes, except those who consider themselves our intellectual and legal superiors have lectured us and emphatically stated that the Declaration is not legal or binding with the force of law, and therefore it's contents are merely historical in context, but sedition or treason if applied in modern context.  They will tell you that the quoted section from the Declaration you cited - was settled in 1865 - and as such has been found to be null and void.

It's the document most pay lip service to that they insist is the only legal foundation for the country (with reasonable regulations and infringements at the whim of government and it's advocates of course), and that the Declaration does not apply, except in its historical context alone.

They will tell you that it has no beautiful precedent for current application.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 04:33:16 am by INVAR »
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #89 on: February 01, 2018, 04:40:18 am »
@Frank Cannon

Last time it was an industrialized and heavily populated country going up against a rural country. The south even had to buy guns to arm their soldiers.

This are different now. Bring it!

Really? I was down south this summer and it still looked like a Roy Moore revival meeting in a lot of place.

It really is a moot point anyway. Losers always bitch about wanting a rematch after getting their ass handed to them.

Online Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #90 on: February 01, 2018, 05:00:23 am »
As a southerner born and bred, I disagree. That flag is, and has been, displayed by some to be a ‘poke in the eye.”   Not all the time, nor by everyone, certainly, but often enough by enough. 

@Oceander

Also as a Southerner, born and bred. I agree, I never really cared for the flag as much as others did, but I did respect it as a show of God given right to rebel. It wasn't a racist thing for the most part, but sorta a rebel against the machine thing (big government). But I have as you have seen it used as a racial thing to a small percentage of folks. But for the most part it was just a symbol of kids saying they love their country southern way of life. A celebration of rural life and in some way a thumb in the eye of Pop culture. Sorta the way I view the Gadsden flag now days (my fave).
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Online Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #91 on: February 01, 2018, 05:29:29 am »
Really? I was down south this summer and it still looked like a Roy Moore revival meeting in a lot of place.

Love Roy, also love my 60,000 rounds of various ammo. Love having a gun range not a 1/8th of a mile away from home (over the ridge here in town) and because I own land next to it they (police) let me shoot anytime (daytime) I want (I guess so I don't complain about it). Housing is cheap, guns are plentiful. Hording is common and gun groups are very helpful. Only problem is sheriffs have a lot of pull and like their slush funds via CC permits. But for most part, gun laws are not too strict.

I got pulled over today as I was driving my kid around. I was demonstrating how the clutch works to one of my boys. I guess to police officer I was driving erratic in my truck.  Anyhoo I was showing son how a clutch behaves and rolling back and forth on a hill, letting him observe my feet work and guess policeman saw me. He slowed down as he drove by my yard and I got out out of my truck and we had a good ole conversation. I had my gun in plain sight, but he wasn't worried at all. We were soon talking about family and teaching his kids to drive a shift drive. I love the south, and I love freedom.

Do I want to see a war again between North and South? No...Heck no... but it is brewing and freedom is more than worth fighting for.

Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #92 on: February 01, 2018, 05:58:03 am »

@Oceander

Also as a Southerner, born and bred. I agree, I never really cared for the flag as much as others did, but I did respect it as a show of God given right to rebel.

The CBF isn't my personal favorite, but the two below (which I prefer) doesn't bother the PC left wing pukes.  Sadly some racists KKK  cretins hijacked the flag, and turned it into something it wasn't intended.  It is simply a red white and blue St. Andrews Cross flag with stars to indicate the states of the Confederacy.  Same as Scotland's flag, except blue and white with no stars.

Bonnie Blue Flag

Stars and Bars

! No longer available

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #93 on: February 01, 2018, 11:28:01 am »

You shouldn't have to force a State  to remain in the Union, if the State wants to leave, that should be their right.

@austingirl

Maybe,maybe not. I am not familiar with the conditions or agreements on how other states became states in a union,but for the first 13,they joined in a VOLUNTARY UNION that was based on certain agreements that if not met would allow them to legally  break the contract and become independent once again. Remember,these people fled the virtual police states ran by royalty and the Catholic Church in Europe,and were leery about giving up their independence. Essentially,they agreed to form a union for defense and business purposes. They did not join to be slaves to NY bankers.

It is no stretch of the truth to say that due to Mr Lincoln's War,the original 13 colonies are being held as slaves by an out of control feral government to this very day.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #94 on: February 01, 2018, 11:45:26 am »

I got pulled over today as I was driving my kid around. I was demonstrating how the clutch works to one of my boys. I guess to police officer I was driving erratic in my truck.  Anyhoo I was showing son how a clutch behaves and rolling back and forth on a hill, letting him observe my feet work and guess policeman saw me. He slowed down as he drove by my yard and I got out out of my truck and we had a good ole conversation. I had my gun in plain sight, but he wasn't worried at all. We were soon talking about family and teaching his kids to drive a shift drive. I love the south, and I love freedom.

@Sighlass

I was at a friends commercial garage one day shortly after the HP switched from S&W 59's to Beretta 92's,and a Sgt from the Highway Patrol came in to get something on his cruiser checked. I noticed the Beretta and asked him about it,and he took it out of the holster and handed it to be to check it out.

There were a couple of yankee tourists in there whose car had broken down and they were waiting for it to be fixed,and I thought they were going to stroke out. I should mention I had a long beard,long hair,and was wearing a flannel shirt with jeans and a baseball cap. I fit pretty much every movie/bad tv show stereotype they held for "crazy redneck",and they just couldn't believe a Highway Patrolman would hand his gun to someone like me unless I was pointing a gun at him.

When I went to get my CCW permit when they first became legal,I did it because the sheriff called me on the phone after the law passed,and pretty much ordered me to be standing in front of his desk the first day so he could personally process my paperwork. Part of that was due to him  being against CCW permits at first,and when I found out about it I went into his office and asked him "WTF is your problem?" When he told me "I don't want people running around carrying concealed weapons because it is a danger to me and my officers". My reply to him was "HorseHillary! You have known me for at least 30 years and you HAD to have known I  have been carrying a gun this whole time,and it never seemed to bother you. Hell,I have one in my pocket now! Want to see it? You have a rural county with only a couple of deputies on patrol at night that patrol by themselves,who the hell do you think it going to be around to come to their aid at night if they get into trouble,a deputy that isn't within 20 miles and is off work,or a local driving by that has a gun?"  I then reminded him of one time when I stepped up behind a deputy that was having problems with some drunks,and backed him up.

He told me right then I had just changed his mind. This was important because the Governor had already said he would not sign the CCW bill unless the majority of the Sheriffs approved.

So,when the day before it first became legal to issue permits,he called me and told me to be in his office at 9 the next morning and he would personally process and send my application forward.

He also asked me if I wanted a permit to get a machine gun,as long as he was issuing permits. I told him the truth,I have zero interest in machine guns and am not about to pay what it costs to buy one and get the federal permit,but I do appreciate the offer. When it comes to shoulder arms,I'm more interested in ones that will put 3 bullets into holes that touch at 100 yards. You don't have to carry so much ammo with them.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 11:49:50 am by sneakypete »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #95 on: February 01, 2018, 11:53:56 am »
The CBF isn't my personal favorite, but the two below (which I prefer) doesn't bother the PC left wing pukes.  Sadly some racists KKK  cretins hijacked the flag, and turned it into something it wasn't intended.  It is simply a red white and blue St. Andrews Cross flag with stars to indicate the states of the Confederacy.  Same as Scotland's flag, except blue and white with no stars.

Bonnie Blue Flag

Stars and Bars

! No longer available

@catfish1957

Truth to tell,I don't care about it now. What I DO care about is some asshat trying to tell me I can't fly it if I want.

ESPECIALLY not a pack of asshats that don't have a single complaint about all the African and Mexican flags we see flying by Dim voters.

Offline thackney

« Reply #96 on: February 01, 2018, 01:16:26 pm »
Who wants to have to continually explain to their kids why there are only 5 flags flying at Six Flags?

Most won't even recognize the flag of the Confederate States of America.  It isn't the battle flag everyone recognizes.

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline thackney

« Reply #97 on: February 01, 2018, 01:24:32 pm »
Bonnie Blue Flag

@catfish1957

Isn't that flag upside down?  Star standing on its head?
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #98 on: February 01, 2018, 01:29:25 pm »
@txradioguy

Well,you can write off Virginia now,so I guess it starts in NC these days. I know it was north of Virginia,but truthfully,Md was never really a southern state anyhow.
The Mason-Dixon Line runs between MD and PA. Yes, Virginia, Maryland was a Southern State until it was invaded by the Yankees, that sentiment strongest in the Eastern Shore and SOuthern Maryland, not as much in the western part of the State.

That's what the Pratt Street Riots were about (first KIA of the war): armies from Northern states invading Maryland. (Every State had its own army in those days.)
Maryland did not get the chance to vote on secession because the Virginia Legislature took its sweet time about seceding, and MD would have been in an untenable position had Virginia failed to do so. When the State was invaded, Habeas Corpus was suspended and the MD Legislature rounded up. No vote came until after the legislature had been changed out, and the Union was already in military possession of the state. By then a host of able bodied Marylanders had left to fight in the Southern Army with Lee and Stuart, and such as could had joined the Confederate Navy as well.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #99 on: February 01, 2018, 01:34:48 pm »
The CBF isn't my personal favorite, but the two below (which I prefer) doesn't bother the PC left wing pukes.  Sadly some racists KKK  cretins hijacked the flag, and turned it into something it wasn't intended.  Stars and Bars

They "don't bother the PC left wing pukes" because they stand for the heritage you are honoring, not the identity-politics symbolism that, for better or worse, the CBF has become. 

That's the problem with identity politics.  It promotes us-against-them,  and the tribalism and rivalries that result.   In World War 2, thousands of patriotic Germans died to defend their nation,  but their ancestors don't honor their sacrifice by waving the Nazi flag.   That flag was indeed the flag those soldiers marched and died under,  but it cannot serve as a symbol of heritage.   It has become something else - and so, for better or worse, has the stars and bars.  It has, just as you say, been hijacked by bad people, and there's no going back.   
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 01:36:53 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide