Author Topic: 3rd Confederate flag rises along North Carolina interstates  (Read 10261 times)

Offline Suppressed

3rd Confederate flag rises along North Carolina interstates
« on: January 29, 2018, 05:37:59 pm »
3rd Confederate flag rises along North Carolina interstates
Posted 12:51 p.m. yesterday
Updated 2:34 p.m. yesterday
http://www.wral.com/3rd-confederate-flag-rises-along-north-carolina-interstates/17295987/

MORGANTON, N.C. — A third large Confederate flag is now flying along a North Carolina interstate as the Sons of Confederate Veterans say they are flying the rebel banner because in other places in the South, Confederate memorials are being removed.

[...]

The Confederate flags fly on poles on private property but are easily seen from the highway.

[...]

Smith said Confederate groups are trying to get a flag up for every Confederate memorial taken down, like the statue to Southern general and early Ku Klux Klan leader Nathan Bedford Forrest which was removed in Memphis, Tennessee, last month.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Suppressed

Re: 3rd Confederate flag rises along North Carolina interstates
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 05:40:19 pm »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 11:55:29 pm »
Good on 'em.

Let 100 more rise up!

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 12:34:49 am »
Good on 'em.

Let 100 more rise up!

Agreed! 888high58888
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Online roamer_1

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 12:46:49 am »
Damn right.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 12:55:38 am »
Good on 'em.

Let 100 more rise up!

Or a 1000!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2018, 01:20:51 am »
Confederate flags being raised again? Should I be dusting off the AK and heading to the Mason Dixon line to tamp down some southern aggression.......again?

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2018, 01:23:41 am »
You might find my comments a little off the line, but my opinion of SCV has dropped 3 or 4 notches in the past few years, and am totally disappointed in them.

Rather than take the fight to the offenders, they took the politically correct "soft speak" as a response.  The SCV should have taken the lead much earlier in this fight, and blown off any chants of racism. As I understand there were several legal options that could have been taken to save some of these monuments, but the SCV chose not to fight.

90-95% of members I know are absolutely not racist, and have a love of southern culture, and want to honor  their ancestors who served to protect their homeland.  To anyone who thinks otherwise, provide a sane response, and I will respond.

SCV's efforts in simple terms.....  Too Little ...Too Late.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 03:43:29 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2018, 04:24:54 am »
Confederate flags being raised again? Should I be dusting off the AK and heading to the Mason Dixon line to tamp down some southern aggression.......again?

The Yankees invaded the South first. My State of Origin was the first and the first casualties were during the Pratt Street Riots against invading Yankee troops.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2018, 04:43:10 am »
The Yankees invaded the South first. My State of Origin was the first and the first casualties were during the Pratt Street Riots against invading Yankee troops.

Northerners don't sit around sipping mint juleps waiting for something to happen. We make things happen.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2018, 04:59:06 am »
We've had a local giant Confederate battle flag flying over our nearby interstate for years.

Since the hysteria of the last couple of years, the owner on the private land added a bunch of monuments, a ton of 3'x5' confederate flags and a giant halogen spotlight for the giant confederate flag he has flying there.

Not a guy to try messing with by sneaking onto his land to take the flags down. 

On good authority - he has a .50 Cal BMG mounted to the bed of his Chevy.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2018, 05:14:53 am »
Northerners don't sit around sipping mint juleps waiting for something to happen. We make things happen.

Yeah, one of those great virtues of tyrants.
+++++++++

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2018, 05:17:16 am »
Yeah, one of those great virtues of tyrants.

I'd expect a Rat sympathizer like you to come to the defense of 1861 Baltimore. It was definitely your kind of town as it is today.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2018, 01:43:37 pm »
I'd expect a Rat sympathizer like you to come to the defense of 1861 Baltimore. It was definitely your kind of town as it is today.
Invading Yankee armies in a peaceful state. I'm with the rioters (not gibsmedats, but business owners), but my roots in that colony, and later, State and then OCCUPIED State go way back. Baltimore was respectable until the Yankees came in and trashed the place and made it what it is today.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2018, 01:46:39 pm »
There is a large one you can see from I-81. A giant middle finger to the easily-offended world
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2018, 01:53:40 pm »
Oh, just put the stupid thing away. 

The war's been over for 150 years now.    *****rollingeyes*****
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2018, 01:54:01 pm »
Invading Yankee armies in a peaceful state. I'm with the rioters (not gibsmedats, but business owners), but my roots in that colony, and later, State and then OCCUPIED State go way back. Baltimore was respectable until the Yankees came in and trashed the place and made it what it is today.

It went to hell when the relocated the Capital back to Baltimore/DC with the passing in 1790 ofthe Residence Act.

Personally the should have left it in Philly.  It was a shithole then as it is now. 
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2018, 02:11:58 pm »

Not my sort of town today...it's under your favored style of big-government tyranny.

And I'm certainly not a Rat sympathizer.

But I do like the Constitution, so I support those who tried to thwart those who ignored it.
+++++++++

Online roamer_1

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2018, 02:17:06 pm »
On good authority - he has a .50 Cal BMG mounted to the bed of his Chevy.

Wait... Doesn't everybody?

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2018, 02:18:09 pm »
Baltimore was respectable until the Yankees came in and trashed the place and made it what it is today.

In what alternate universe was that happening? It was the home of the Know Nothing Party for crying out loud.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2018, 02:22:05 pm »
These are the type of people who if you tell them to stop, they do it more. At some point it stops being about the Confederacy anymore and becomes a symbol of rebellious spite (for which the Confederate flag is an admittedly fitting symbol).

It's no coincidence that these types probably voted for Trump in huge numbers.

This, ladies and gentlemen, is what real resistance looks like—standing in the face of a people and society that tells you you can't think that way, and doing it anyway.

For better or worse.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2018, 04:53:12 pm »
You might find my comments a little off the line, but my opinion of SCV has dropped 3 or 4 notches in the past few years, and am totally disappointed in them.

Rather than take the fight to the offenders, they took the politically correct "soft speak" as a response.  The SCV should have taken the lead much earlier in this fight, and blown off any chants of racism. As I understand there were several legal options that could have been taken to save some of these monuments, but the SCV chose not to fight.

90-95% of members I know are absolutely not racist, and have a love of southern culture, and want to honor  their ancestors who served to protect their homeland.  To anyone who thinks otherwise, provide a sane response, and I will respond.

SCV's efforts in simple terms.....  Too Little ...Too Late.

I'm a lifelong Yankee who even lived in Boston for a while and I agree.

The hubbub over the confederate flag was ridiculous. There was even a Confederate memorial on an island in Boston, which memorialized some confederate POWs, that most likely nobody had seen in 50 years. But of course once people found out about it they were outraged and it had to be removed.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 04:56:45 pm by Weird Tolkienish Figure »

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2018, 04:54:54 pm »
http://www.wbur.org/artery/2017/08/16/boston-confederate-monument

Take a boat to Georges Island in Boston Harbor, and you'll see something you might not expect: a Confederate monument.

Actually, right now you won't see it. The stone, the only Confederate monument in Massachusetts, has been boarded up since June while the state figures out what to do with it — a question that has new urgency in the wake of last weekend's violence in Charlottesville.

Before the PC hysteria broke about this subject, nobody had noticed or cared about this memorial in the slightest. Once people found out well that just could not stand.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2018, 05:09:34 pm »
If we can give little kids on losing teams participation trophies, let them have their participation trophy for losing as well.