Author Topic: 3rd Confederate flag rises along North Carolina interstates  (Read 10263 times)

Offline Suppressed

Re: 3rd Confederate flag rises along North Carolina interstates
« Reply #100 on: February 01, 2018, 03:27:50 pm »
Most won't even recognize the flag of the Confederate States of America.  It isn't the battle flag everyone recognizes.

And that Stars and Bars was only one of three flags of the Confederate States of America.  It changed mid-1863, IIRC.

I love that I can have War Between the States art on my work computer with that flag on it, as nobody will flip out like they would with ANV flag.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 03:28:08 pm by Suppressed »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #101 on: February 01, 2018, 03:30:37 pm »
It has become something else - and so, for better or worse, has the stars and bars.

99 Americans out of 100 wouldn't even recognize the stars and bars.  When people see it, they often think it's a American Revolutionary War flag.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #102 on: February 01, 2018, 03:36:54 pm »
@austingirl

A concept with beautiful precedent...

"When, in the course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bonds which have connected them with another . . ."
@Suppressed

Yes, it's all about freedom from repressive out-of-bounds government.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #103 on: February 01, 2018, 03:46:57 pm »
99 Americans out of 100 wouldn't even recognize the stars and bars.  When people see it, they often think it's a American Revolutionary War flag.

Huh?   The stars and bars (the CBF) is universally recognized.  That's the problem - it has become inexorably linked with identity politics of the toxic sort.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #104 on: February 01, 2018, 03:47:53 pm »
They "don't bother the PC left wing pukes" because they stand for the heritage you are honoring,

@Jazzhead

In what solar system does this happen,Gracie Allen? There is NOBODY more anti-American than the left-wingers. NOBODY.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #105 on: February 01, 2018, 03:49:22 pm »
@Suppressed

Yes, it's all about freedom from repressive out-of-bounds government.

Yes, it is.  That's why I want the government to be strictly separate from organized religion and have nothing to do with religious crusades.   

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #106 on: February 01, 2018, 03:49:42 pm »
Huh?   The stars and bars (the CBF) is universally recognized.  That's the problem - it has become inexorably linked with identity politics of the toxic sort.   

@Jazzhead

Only be left-wing whackjobs and cretins.

You need new friends.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #107 on: February 01, 2018, 03:53:32 pm »

@Jazzhead

In what solar system does this happen,Gracie Allen? There is NOBODY more anti-American than the left-wingers. NOBODY.

It's like Suppressed says.   He displays a confederate banner other than the CBF on his computer and no one bothers him about it.   The CBF has been hijacked by bad people with bad agendas.   So while you may display it to honor "heritage", others see it as a symbol of abiding racism.   That's why I say put the stupid thing away - unless your intent is to embrace the identity politics it has come to represent.   

Offline thackney

« Reply #108 on: February 01, 2018, 03:59:06 pm »

The Stars and Bars is not the confederate battle flag.  The Stars and Bars is the first official national flag of the Confederacy.

http://www.usflag.org/history/confederatestarsandbars.html

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #109 on: February 01, 2018, 04:05:50 pm »
When I say the "stars and bar" or the CBF I mean the thing that's on top of the General Lee that got chased by Roscoe P. Coltrane.   If I'm mistaken that the CBF is referred to as the "stars and bars", then I appreciate your clarification.   But I've heard it called that my entire life.   

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #110 on: February 01, 2018, 04:10:19 pm »
@Jazzhead

Only be left-wing whackjobs and cretins.

You need new friends.

Nope - nowadays, it's linked with identity politics.  Blame both the KKK and the left for that.   It is flown by many as a provocation in the culture wars, not as an expression of heritage.   Don't be naïve.  And don't be naïve or disingenuous about the origins of the Civil War.  If slavery hadn't existed, the South would not have seceded and that war would not have been fought.   

Offline thackney

« Reply #111 on: February 01, 2018, 04:16:50 pm »
When I say the "stars and bar" or the CBF I mean the thing that's on top of the General Lee that got chased by Roscoe P. Coltrane.   If I'm mistaken that the CBF is referred to as the "stars and bars", then I appreciate your clarification.   But I've heard it called that my entire life.

I understand the ignorant may call it that.  But the name has a long history associated with a specific flag, and it is not the CBF.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Stars-and-Bars

The Confederate Battle Flag is often refered to as the Southern Cross.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/flag-of-the-Confederate-States-of-America

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #112 on: February 01, 2018, 04:24:10 pm »
The stars and bars (the CBF)  . . .

They are two separate flags.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flags_of_the_Confederate_States_of_America#First_flag:_the_"Stars_and_Bars"_(1861%E2%80%931863)

And, actually, there were multiple CBFs.

+++++++++

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #113 on: February 01, 2018, 04:27:34 pm »
It's like Suppressed says.   He displays a confederate banner other than the CBF on his computer and no one bothers him about it.   The CBF has been hijacked by bad people with bad agendas.   So while you may display it to honor "heritage", others see it as a symbol of abiding racism.   That's why I say put the stupid thing away - unless your intent is to embrace the identity politics it has come to represent.   

And I say, don't simply acquiesce to hijackings -- that is like paying off blackmail or negotiating with terrorists.  Where does it end, if you let the hijackers win?
+++++++++

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #114 on: February 01, 2018, 05:23:33 pm »
That's why I say put the stupid thing away - unless your intent is to embrace the identity politics it has come to represent.   

Well you come on down here and make us put the 'stupid thing' away pal.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #115 on: February 01, 2018, 05:25:14 pm »
Well you come on down here and make us put the 'stupid thing' away pal.

I know, I know, everything's about you and your big bad gun.   Just how small is your penis?   *****rollingeyes*****

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #116 on: February 01, 2018, 05:26:29 pm »
I understand the ignorant may call it that.  But the name has a long history associated with a specific flag, and it is not the CBF.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Stars-and-Bars

The Confederate Battle Flag is often refered to as the Southern Cross.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/flag-of-the-Confederate-States-of-America

I appreciate the links and the history,  thackney.  It's always good to learn something I didn't know before.   

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #117 on: February 01, 2018, 05:30:56 pm »
I know, I know, everything's about you and your big bad gun.   Just how small is your penis?   

I didn't say shit about a gun.

But it's very telling that you have my penis on your mind.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #118 on: February 01, 2018, 05:31:40 pm »
And I say, don't simply acquiesce to hijackings -- that is like paying off blackmail or negotiating with terrorists.  Where does it end, if you let the hijackers win?

I understand, Suppressed.  What was benign a generation ago has been co-opted by the tribes who define their identity in terms of demonizing others.   The KKK and the hard left are both scumbags. 

That's why I liked your idea of expressing pride in your heritage without resort to symbols that polarize.   We can't easily change the world for the better.  But we can easily avoid doing things that make it worse.   

Offline thackney

« Reply #119 on: February 01, 2018, 05:48:17 pm »
I appreciate the links and the history,  thackney.  It's always good to learn something I didn't know before.

I made the same mistake myself, prior to my southern residence.

Cheers!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #120 on: February 01, 2018, 06:00:21 pm »
And don't be naïve or disingenuous about the origins of the Civil War.  If slavery hadn't existed, the South would not have seceded and that war would not have been fought.

@Jazzhead

It's not MY fault you are an ignorant fool. That was your decision to make,and you made it.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #121 on: February 01, 2018, 06:07:28 pm »
I understand, Suppressed.  What was benign a generation ago has been co-opted by the tribes who define their identity in terms of demonizing others.   The KKK and the hard left are both scumbags. 

That's why I liked your idea of expressing pride in your heritage without resort to symbols that polarize.   We can't easily change the world for the better.  But we can easily avoid doing things that make it worse.   

@Jazzhead, I'm glad you liked that idea...but perhaps I'm going against my own principles out of expediency of needing a paycheck.  I believe that it's wrong to give up on that symbol, letting those who've distorted it to be able to co-opt it forever. 

When it comes to something like "homophobia," do you just say, "oh, well...co-opted by the homophobics...let's not fight for rights of homosexuals..."?  No, I think you say, "education is the key; convincing people they are wrong is important.  You do know the importance of fighting for principles, even when there's strong opposition and your opinion might be divisive.

If the flag of the Army of Northern Virginia is (wrongly) divisive, then let's fight against the KKK and leftists, not just give in to them.

+++++++++

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #122 on: February 01, 2018, 06:24:38 pm »
@Jazzhead, I'm glad you liked that idea...but perhaps I'm going against my own principles out of expediency of needing a paycheck.  I believe that it's wrong to give up on that symbol, letting those who've distorted it to be able to co-opt it forever. 

When it comes to something like "homophobia," do you just say, "oh, well...co-opted by the homophobics...let's not fight for rights of homosexuals..."?  No, I think you say, "education is the key; convincing people they are wrong is important.  You do know the importance of fighting for principles, even when there's strong opposition and your opinion might be divisive.

If the flag of the Army of Northern Virginia is (wrongly) divisive, then let's fight against the KKK and leftists, not just give in to them.

I can't argue with any of that, Suppressed.   As well as the reality you acknowledge that some hills are appropriate to die on, others, not so much.   

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #123 on: February 01, 2018, 06:25:41 pm »
I didn't say shit about a gun.

But it's very telling that you have my penis on your mind.

:silly:
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #124 on: February 01, 2018, 06:30:06 pm »

It's not MY fault you are an ignorant fool. That was your decision to make,and you made it.

Oh, stop with the name calling and try a little persuasion, SP.     

So it's your view that the Civil War would have occurred had slavery not existed?   Go ahead and make that argument - I'm interested in hearing it.  I acknowledge the tension between the industrialized North and the agrarian South - but that tension existed in large part because the South's labor supply was conscripted in a way the rest of the world found morally abhorrent.    Do you predict a civil war occurring in today's American midwest because the great agribusinesses are pushing out family farmers?