Author Topic: Tesla’s giant battery in Australia made around $1 million in just a few days  (Read 3038 times)

Offline Suppressed

Tesla’s giant battery in Australia made around $1 million in just a few days
Fred Lambert
- Jan. 23rd 2018 10:07 am ET
https://electrek.co/2018/01/23/tesla-giant-battery-australia-1-million/

Tesla’s 100MW/ 129MWh Powerpack project in South Australia, the largest in the world for now, has been demonstrating its capacity over the last few weeks since going into operation last month.

But now the system is showing its potential to be highly profitable by making an estimated $1 million AUD (~$800,000 USD) in just a few days.

The Powerpack system built by Tesla and operated by Neoen as part of their nearby wind farm is used on two different levels.

Neoen has access to about 30 MW/ 90 MWh of the capacity to trade on the wholesale market, while the government has access to the rest to stabilize the grid.

The battery demonstrated its capacity for the latter by reacting to a crashed coal plants in milliseconds last month.

[...]
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline thackney

Affordable energy storage.  It will change the electric power market a lot.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Sounds good, but is this really affordable energy storage?  Possibly making $800,000 in a few days doesn't mean it will make that much every few days, and I didn't see how much it cost to build the system and how long it will last.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Knowing Saint Elon, the king of smoke and mirrors I am highly skeptical of this adventure to ever make money or live up to its hype.  This yet another of his scams to rob the Australian taxpayer of their money thu government warfare.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Joe Wooten

How big a subsidy did Tesla get to install it?

Oceander

Is that gross revenues, or net profit?

Offline Frank Cannon

Awesome. Welfare Queen Elon found another government to fleece.

Offline WingNot

How big a subsidy did Tesla get to install it?

I don't think the amount is public knowledge.  Google couldn't find it if it is out there.

Offline WingNot

I guess the 4.9 billion he has fleeced from the U.S taxpayer isn't enough for smooth talking jive ass turkey.

Offline thackney

Sounds good, but is this really affordable energy storage?

Sorry, my post wasn't clear.  The goal is a big deal.  This may or not be reaching that goal.  It likely is too highly subsidized at this point to effectively evaluate.

Possibly making $800,000 in a few days doesn't mean it will make that much every few days, and I didn't see how much it cost to build the system and how long it will last.

It definitely will not.  It was a unique condition that sends the immediate bid for power sky-high for right-now.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 08:49:21 pm by thackney »

Offline thackney

Is that gross revenues, or net profit?

Definitely gross revenue, for a short time in a unique situation.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Sounds good, but is this really affordable energy storage?  Possibly making $800,000 in a few days doesn't mean it will make that much every few days, and I didn't see how much it cost to build the system and how long it will last.

@InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Nor did it mention all the money saved by using a combination of Solar power and that battery. Money saved that WOULD have been spent buying coal or oil.

I haven't seen the numbers,but I would be surprised if the money saved wouldn't pay off the money invested within just a few short years,and continue to accumulate as credits as money NOT spent for electricity in the future.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Yep, the state of South Australia has been heavily subsidizing someone as South Australia where this project is located has the highest electricity costs in the world, and Elon may be its chief payee. @Frank Cannon

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,295808.msg1549414.html#msg1549414
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 01:37:37 am by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Suppressed

Yep, the state of South Australia has been heavily subsidizing someone as South Australia where this project is located has the highest electricity costs in the world, and Elon may be its chief payee.

IIANM, the high cost of electricity was what led them to bring Musk in, not the other way around.

I know there's a north-south fight over natural gas there because of scarcity and regional squabbling.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline DB

I'd guess these things have to be a long way from populated areas. When one goes up in flames it's going to be spectacular... And expensive...

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I'd guess these things have to be a long way from populated areas. When one goes up in flames it's going to be spectacular... And expensive...

@DB

OR.......,it is being built in a remote area because the property was cheap,there were no worries over "not in MY neighborhood" parades,it would be easy to protect it from sabotage because there is no where for attackers to hide to sneak up on it,and there were unobstructed views of the sun for solar recharging?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline thackney

No.  It is a "clean" power source and is typically located closer to load centers to help during the peak loads.  They are a quickly growing market in the US.

Oceander

Definitely gross revenue, for a short time in a unique situation.

Then it may not have made anything on a net basis at all. 

Offline Joe Wooten

IIANM, the high cost of electricity was what led them to bring Musk in, not the other way around.

I know there's a north-south fight over natural gas there because of scarcity and regional squabbling.

The high cost of electricity there is entirely due to the South Australian government going whole hog into renewables.

Can you please relay the source for that statement?

I happen to have a brother in the energy industry who for the past 25 years has been living in Adelaide as my source.

I have not found any places in the world where renewables or electric schemes like this have proven to lower the cost of electricity.  It is the other way around.  See this article on the ongoing fantasy of converting to renewable power this decade.

Renewable energy target of 50pc reached early in South Australia
Updated 9 Apr 2017, 7:09pm

Renewable energy production in South Australia has hit the state's target almost eight years ahead of schedule.

The Government's target is for 50 per cent of the state's energy to be supplied from renewable sources by 2025, and in the past year it has been reported 53 per cent of its energy has come from sun and wind-based sources.

South Australian Energy Minister Tom Koutsantonis described the increase as a "good thing" while also attacking the Opposition, claiming they do not have an energy policy.

"I am very pleased with those results. I am pleased that South Australia is leading the nation," Mr Koutsantonis said.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-04-10/south-australia-renewable-energy-target-reached-early/8429722

And South Australia is blessed with a lot of hydrocarbon wealth due to the proximity of the Cooper basin for oil and gas and coal mining.

Unsure what you mean a 'north-south fight over natural gas there because of scarcity and regional squabbling'.  Are you referring to within South Australia or between states in Australia?

Australia is blessed with a super-abundancy of hydrocarbons in the form of natural gas and liquids, as well as coal and coal-seam gas.  The states in Australia are much more autonomous than here in the US and do not agree between themselves very much so abilities to have 'national' grids or pipelines are not common.

Perhaps that is what you are referring to?

« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 02:56:57 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

The high cost of electricity there is entirely due to the South Australian government going whole hog into renewables.
I call that renewable insanity.

Offline DB

No.  It is a "clean" power source and is typically located closer to load centers to help during the peak loads.  They are a quickly growing market in the US.

Lithium Ion batteries burn spectacularly. This is a massive collection of them in a small space. When it fails, it will be something to behold.

Offline WingNot

Lithium Ion batteries burn spectacularly. This is a massive collection of them in a small space. When it fails, it will be something to behold.

I would buy a ticket to that show

Offline thackney

Offline WingNot