Author Topic: A Password For The Hawaii Emergency Agency Was Hiding In A Public Photo, Written On A Post-It Note  (Read 940 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
A false alert warning of an inbound missile was broadcast in Hawaii on Saturday.

Since then, people have discovered that a photo taken in Hawaii's Emergency Management Agency for a news article in July includes a sticky note with a password.

Hawaii says the alert was sent was because "an employee pushed the wrong button," not because of a hack, but the photo has sparked criticism about the agency's level of security.

On Saturday, people in Hawaii were awakened by a terrifying false alert about an inbound missile. Hawaii's Emergency Management Agency has said a worker clicked the wrong item in a drop-down menu and sent it, and that its system was not hacked.

"It was a mistake made during a standard procedure at the changeover of a shift, and an employee pushed the wrong button," Gov. David Ige said.

But an Associated Press photo from July that recently resurfaced on Twitter has raised questions about the agency's cybersecurity practices.

In it, the agency's operations officer poses in front of a battery of screens. Attached to one is a password written on a Post-it note.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/password-hawaii-emergency-agency-hiding-200746479.html
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 09:47:08 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Online Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
Let it burn.

Offline edpc

Hackers were able to crack the sophisticated firewall protection by guessing the access code was T1ny8ubbl3Z.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 10:05:14 pm by edpc »

Offline Frank Cannon

Hawaii says the alert was sent was because "an employee pushed the wrong button,"

I have to go through 4 prompts before I can delete shit out of my phone or computer, but these clowns can just push a panic button without any problems? I call bullshit.

Offline Frank Cannon

Never trust anyone with vomit on their shirts.

Offline musiclady

Well, why not?

All my secret info is posted all around the house and places I work on sticky notes.......    *****rollingeyes*****
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline roamer_1

How absurd. Everyone knows passwords are to be kept taped to the slide-out shelf on an office desk, or in the top drawer in the right front quadrant.

Online Polly Ticks

Amateurs.  Everyone knows your password sticky note goes under the keyboard.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online Polly Ticks

How absurd. Everyone knows passwords are to be kept taped to the slide-out shelf on an office desk, or in the top drawer in the right front quadrant.

@roamer_1
LOL, ok, those are acceptable alternatives.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Hackers were able to crack the sophisticated firewall protection by guessing the access code was T1ny8ubbl3Z.

Did you know Don Ho can sign autographs 3.4 times faster than Efrem Zimbalist Jr.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Online DB

Hawaii says the alert was sent was because "an employee pushed the wrong button,"

I have to go through 4 prompts before I can delete shit out of my phone or computer, but these clowns can just push a panic button without any problems? I call bullshit.

They are government workers. That is 4 prompts too many...

Offline edpc

The password is........

Offline Frank Cannon

Did you know Don Ho can sign autographs 3.4 times faster than Efrem Zimbalist Jr.

Is that because of Efrem's disability........that he's dead?

Offline Frank Cannon

Offline WingNot

Is that because of Efrem's disability........that he's dead?

Someone better tell him before he votes again.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran

Or just narmal government incompetence.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline edpc

Engelbert Humperdinck said Efrem had a stupid stage name.

Offline WingNot

Then a moniker like say, Arnold George Dorsey, must have really set him off!   lol

Offline roamer_1

@roamer_1
LOL, ok, those are acceptable alternatives.

@Polly Ticks
LOL! I have seen the under-the-keyboard trick plenty too - though usually masking tape and sharpie, as sticky notes don't survive there.

For anyone looking for a better way:

https://keepass.info/

Make a folder somewhere in your docs (or someplace else that will be included in your backup routine)
Drop the KeyPass executable in that folder, rclick it, and 'Send to => Desktop/Create Shortcut.
Then load the created encrypted database with all your passwords. The database will be created in the folder you put the executable in)

In normal operation, the password is never revealed - even when the KeyPass application is open - You have a timed opportunity to copy'paste the password. Works good, and is a pretty good way to keep passwords both handy and protected.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 10:37:26 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline musiclady

@Polly Ticks
LOL! I have seen the under-the-keyboard trick plenty too - though usually masking tape and sharpie, as sticky notes don't survive there.

For anyone looking for a better way:

https://keepass.info/

Make a folder somewhere in your docs (or someplace else that will be included in your backup routine)
Drop the KeyPass executable in that folder, rclick it, and 'Send to => Desktop/Create Shortcut.
Then load the created encrypted database with all your passwords. The database will be created in the folder you put the executable in)

In normal operation, the password is never revealed - even when the KeyPass application is open - You have a timed opportunity to copy'paste the password. Works good, and is a pretty good way to keep passwords both handy and protected.

THANKS!

You're good at this stuff, aren't you??   888high58888
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Frank Cannon

Yahoo Seriously?

Offline Suppressed

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Suppressed

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline edpc

Would it also qualify as an amber alert for all the people that wet their pants?

Offline WingNot

Now that gif is funny I don't care if you are the Gov Of Hiawatha.... er Hawaii