Author Topic: The Movie That Made Moral Idiocy Chic  (Read 3045 times)

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: The Movie That Made Moral Idiocy Chic
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2020, 06:37:12 pm »
   I found the Soundtrack of ER to be the film's only redeeming quality. 

Watching Gaslight on TCM right now.

@corbe

GREAT tunes! I agree. Without the sountrack to keep people "into the trip" I think the movie would have tanked. Even with Nicholsen and Hopper. Fonda never could act. Daddy got him all his jobs. Jane was the same. She was good in Barbarella,but mostly because she was hot back then,and what guy doesn't like looking at a semi-nude hot young woman?

That movie got her famous on her own name,and then she decided she was someone important with something important to say,and killed what little career she had. Dolly Parton,probably the ONLY likeable member of the Lesbian Mafia helped bring her back into the public eye with a movie or two,but that's it. Now the bitch is selling adult diapers or some such thing.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline skeeter

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2020, 06:56:47 pm »
@corbe

GREAT tunes! I agree. Without the sountrack to keep people "into the trip" I think the movie would have tanked. Even with Nicholsen and Hopper.

Never did figure out what Garden Grove had to do with the storyline.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2020, 11:36:25 pm »
The article couldn't be more wrong. The Depression was engineered so the uber wealthy could legally steal all the property of the poor,the middle class,and the "merely" wealthy.

Working class people saw ALL their banked money disappear as the banks closed,and their money disappeared with the bank managers.

AND....,let's not forget that the Feebs flat-out murdered Bonny and Clyde from ambush.
EH? Bonnie and Clyde ambushed and killed more than a couple police officers and it wasn't the Feebs that got them it was a Texas Ranger who led the 1934 posse that tracked down and killed criminals Bonnie Parker and Clyde Barrow.

If you have Netflix watch the Highwaymen, it's actually decent for their original content

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2020, 11:41:52 pm »
EH? Bonnie and Clyde ambushed and killed more than a couple police officers and it wasn't the Feebs that got them it was a Texas Ranger who led the 1934 posse that tracked down and killed criminals Bonnie Parker and Clyde Barrow.

@GtHawk

I stand corrected. It was Texas Rangers that murdered them from ambush.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2020, 11:45:05 pm »
@GtHawk

Check out The Highwaymen w/ Kevin Costner & Woody Harrelson. A tad more accurate and watchable than the Beatty/Dunaway adaptation.

Online GtHawk

« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2020, 11:49:19 pm »
@GtHawk

Hey live by the ambush, die by the ambush  :whistle: I know it was horrible thing to do to two innocent kids.........real American heroes, modern day Robinhoods!

On a sunny day in May 1934, some 10,000 people visited the old Belo Mansion, in downtown Dallas, to see the outlaw Clyde Barrow lying in state. The following day, according to one report, a full 40,000 attended Bonnie Parker's funeral, a few miles away, in South Dallas.Aug 23, 2017

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2020, 03:01:07 am »
Hey live by the ambush, die by the ambush  :whistle: I know it was horrible thing to do to two innocent kids.........real American heroes, modern day Robinhoods!

@GtHawk

Call me a dreamer,but I want to live in a world where the cops are not  indistinguishable from the criminals. I want them held to higher standards,or why bother having them?

On a sunny day in May 1934, some 10,000 people visited the old Belo Mansion, in downtown Dallas, to see the outlaw Clyde Barrow lying in state. The following day, according to one report, a full 40,000 attended Bonnie Parker's funeral, a few miles away, in South Dallas.Aug 23, 2017

That mostly had to do with the banks closing during the depression,and nobody seeming to know what happened to all the money the locals had deposited in the banks. The banks just shut down,and the bankers just seemed to disappear with no one in a position of authority seeming to give a damn.

So,as a result,the people who lost every dollar they had saved when the banks closed,tended to see other people who took money away from bankers as heroes. Bonnie and Clyde were doing to the bankers what they lacked the courage to do themselves.

AND......,given that that time in our history they were almost all working class men and women who lost every penny they had while it seemed the bankers escaped with their money,it seemed like simple justice.

Online GtHawk

« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2020, 03:09:12 am »

@sneakypete
Hey that's cool, but I can't help thinking if Bonnie and Clyde were moslem you would be saying they got of easy wink777 You know those cops they assassinated had nothing to do with the banks and people not knowing where their money, so just maybe there was a difference.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 03:14:43 am by GtHawk »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2020, 03:27:15 am »
@sneakypete
Hey that's cool, but I can't help thinking if Bonnie and Clyde were moslem you would be saying they got of easy wink777 You know those cops they assassinated had nothing to do with the banks and people not knowing where their money, so just maybe there was a difference.

@GtHawk

Why are you trying to bust my balls over this? I had nothing to do with it. I CAN see how the mostly ignorant rural people back in the 20's and 30's felt about things after seeing both their money and the city banker disappearing at the same time,and none of the local or state cops doing a damn thing to help them get their money back.

And we ALL know the money didn't just disappear. It left with someone.

Online GtHawk

« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2020, 04:04:04 am »
@GtHawk

Why are you trying to bust my balls over this? I had nothing to do with it. I CAN see how the mostly ignorant rural people back in the 20's and 30's felt about things after seeing both their money and the city banker disappearing at the same time,and none of the local or state cops doing a damn thing to help them get their money back.

@sneakypete
Sorry Dude, I really had no intention of doing anything with your balls, there was/is no animosity or ball busting intended. I wouldn't do that to you.........not that I wouldn't/have done it to someone, but I really do appreciate your posts. So I'm closing the book on the Barrow Gang. Have a good night and have a great Presidents day being thankful Barry's out and Daytona Don is in  :beer:

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2020, 04:38:52 pm »
   I found the Soundtrack of ER to be the film's only redeeming quality. 

Watching Gaslight on TCM right now.

Roooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool another one.......

:cool:

Yep, it does have a memorable soundtrack, to be sure.

Starting of with Steppenwolf's Born to be Wild.

The Birds, The Band (but actually a cover version of The Weight on the album, due to licensing issues).
Hendrix, Roger McGuinn, etc.......

Online berdie

« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2020, 09:03:04 pm »
@GtHawk

I don't want to reignite any kind of feud @sneakypete ...but if I'm not mistaken this happened during the depression. The stock market crashed and that took everyone out.

Funny thing, I just rewatched the movie Saturday. It really is a good movie. But highly sanitized. If you read anything about B&C..they weren't so good. My departed FIL that lived that era in Texas got so darn mad over the glamorization he would just have a fit if it was mentioned. He said all that Robin Hood talk was just bunk.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2020, 11:56:14 pm »

I don't want to reignite any kind of feud @sneakypete ...but if I'm not mistaken this happened during the depression. The stock market crashed and that took everyone out.

@berdie

Close,but no cigar. "Took ALMOST everyone out financially" is the truth of the matter. J.P.Morgan,Joe Kennedy,the Rockefellers,and a few others didn't lose any money,and in FACT made money from the collapse of Wall Street because they had already pulled THEIR money out of the stock market and put it in their private banks. I may be wrong,but I THINK it was J.P.Morgan that was reported to have said in a newspaper interview outside the stock exchange after it reopened that "Times are so bad today,a man with a million dollars might be considered to be rich.",as he lit his cigar with a 100 dollar bill.

BTW,this wasn't a local thing,either. It was worldwide,yet how many of the wealthy banking or royal families in Europe went broke?

One thing the Depression certainly did was make it possible for anyone with any ready cash to buy up a business with a penny on the dollar value,and then reopen it and not have any,or much,competition.

You will also notice that all the uber wealthy families expanded their financial empires while times were bad. These were also the people that used their political influence (bribes) to create the tax-free trust funds that are to this very day keeping their grandchildren and great-grandchildren flush.

Funny thing, I just rewatched the movie Saturday. It really is a good movie. But highly sanitized. If you read anything about B&C..they weren't so good. My departed FIL that lived that era in Texas got so darn mad over the glamorization he would just have a fit if it was mentioned. He said all that Robin Hood talk was just bunk.

Not much doubt about that. It was the newspapers that created the whole "Robin Hood" thing as a "vehicle" to sell advertising space and newspapers. The were criminals because that IS who they were by both birth and inclination.

Most people that followed them as fans were just happy to see the bankers get "hit",too. The ones that survived bought up the assets of the ones that failed,and then repossessed the homes and businesses of the people who lost them when THEIR banker skipped out with what cash was available.

Pretty much the same thing happened after The War for Southern Independence,when the yankee bankers came south and bought up everything in sight for peanuts because the economy in the south had collapsed,and they were the only ones that had any money.

I am sure this very same thing has happened in one form or another over and over all through history. 
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 11:59:10 pm by sneakypete »

Offline musiclady

« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2020, 03:28:46 am »
Check out The Highwaymen w/ Kevin Costner & Woody Harrelson. A tad more accurate and watchable than the Beatty/Dunaway adaptation.

That is a great movie!

Sets the record straight after that abominable Beatty/Dunaway fiction.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online berdie

« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2020, 10:24:25 pm »
Not much doubt about that. It was the newspapers that created the whole "Robin Hood" thing as a "vehicle" to sell advertising space and newspapers. The were criminals because that IS who they were by both birth and inclination.

Most people that followed them as fans were just happy to see the bankers get "hit",too. The ones that survived bought up the assets of the ones that failed,and then repossessed the homes and businesses of the people who lost them when THEIR banker skipped out with what cash was available.

Pretty much the same thing happened after The War for Southern Independence,when the yankee bankers came south and bought up everything in sight for peanuts because the economy in the south had collapsed,and they were the only ones that had any money.

I am sure this very same thing has happened in one form or another over and over all through history.

I don't dispute your post in any way @sneakypete . When I said "everyone was affected" I meant all of us peons...not the riche.

The only thing that kind of bothered me about your post on the matter was that B&C was the part about them being ambushed and murdered.

It depends of which account one reads. And truthfully most of the hoods in that day suffered the same fate.

It's been many years since I did research on B&C...primarily because of my fil's hatred. I don't remember a lot...I'm in another area right now. happy77
But I do remember that some folks defended them...some did not. The huge numbers at their funerals may/may not have been there out of respect.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2020, 10:33:05 pm »

I don't dispute your post in any way @sneakypete . When I said "everyone was affected" I meant all of us peons...not the riche.

The only thing that kind of bothered me about your post on the matter was that B&C was the part about them being ambushed and murdered.

It depends of which account one reads. And truthfully most of the hoods in that day suffered the same fate.

It's been many years since I did research on B&C...primarily because of my fil's hatred. I don't remember a lot...I'm in another area right now. happy77
But I do remember that some folks defended them...some did not. The huge numbers at their funerals may/may not have been there out of respect.
It should be noted that virtually all the big name gangsters/robbers from that period died violent deaths. Bonnie and Clyde, Dillinger, Pretty Boy Floyd, Baby Face Nelson, and a bunch of other indy robbers/thieves/killers had a year or two of notoriety and then succumbed to lead poisoning.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2020, 11:01:58 pm »

@berdie

I cared and care nothing about either of them. They were both career felons and murderers,and knew the end of their stories would be either death or life in prison. Bonnie even wrote at least one poem about their predicted deaths.

What I DO care about is  holding law enforcement at all levels to a higher standard than murderers and other career felons. Otherwise,why bother to have PD's at all?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2020, 11:03:31 pm »
It should be noted that virtually all the big name gangsters/robbers from that period died violent deaths. Bonnie and Clyde, Dillinger, Pretty Boy Floyd, Baby Face Nelson, and a bunch of other indy robbers/thieves/killers had a year or two of notoriety and then succumbed to lead poisoning.

@goatprairie
Sometimes karma insists you get what you deal.

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2020, 11:12:16 pm »
I'm not sure as to the historical accuracy but The Highwaymen was excellent and certaily more accurate than the Beatty/Dunaway movie.
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2020, 11:36:00 pm »
I'm not sure as to the historical accuracy but The Highwaymen was excellent and certaily more accurate than the Beatty/Dunaway movie.

@Nevurdul

I think what most people seem to be missing here is it was one of the first movies to portray violence as the brutal thing it is,instead of some sort of "oopsie". Remember,this was right at the end of an era where sheriff's where shooting the gun right out of the bad guy's hand,and the bad guy didn't even need a bandaid. The realism of the brutality being filmed AS a brutality and showing some pretend gore was ground-breaking.

And maybe this is just me personally, but I honestly didn't see where the movie made B and C heroes EXCEPT for the last scene when it portrayed them as murder victims.

Hard to pick a side to cheer for when both are murderers.