Author Topic: Activists and ICE Face Off Over Detained Immigrant Leader  (Read 572 times)

rangerrebew

Activists and ICE Face Off Over Detained Immigrant Leader
« on: January 16, 2018, 03:37:40 pm »

Activists and ICE Face Off Over Detained Immigrant Leader

By LIZ ROBBINSJAN. 12, 2018

The Rev. Juan Carlos Ruiz, of the New Sanctuary Coalition of NYC, hugs Amy Gottlieb, whose husband, Ravi Ragbir, an immigrant rights activist, was detained by ICE pending deportation. Credit Todd Heisler/The New York Times An escalating legal battle played out on Friday in the case of Ravi Ragbir, an immigrant rights activist whose detention on Thursday by federal immigration authorities sparked protests that led to the arrest of 18 people, including members of the New York City Council.

Mr. Ragbir, 53, the executive director of the New Sanctuary Coalition of New York City, had shown up for a check-in with Immigration and Customs Enforcement on Thursday morning, at the Jacob K. Javits Federal Building in Lower Manhattan. When officials told him that he was going to be detained and deported, Mr. Ragbir fainted, his wife, Amy Gottlieb, said.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/12/n...otlight%2Frace

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Re: Activists and ICE Face Off Over Detained Immigrant Leader
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 03:55:41 pm »
According to the New York Times, Ragbir, age 53, immigrated legally to the United States from Trinidad in 1991 but was convicted of wire fraud in 2000 and ordered deported in 2006 after serving his sentence. He was granted multiple stays of removal, but his time had been scheduled to end January 19. According to the Times, Ragbir fainted last Thursday when ICE agents told him he was being kicked out of the country.

Your time is up convict.  Be gone!
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."