Author Topic: City of Barcelona Kicks Out Microsoft in Favor of Linux and Open Source  (Read 1771 times)

Offline ShadowAce

From It's FOSS

A Spanish newspaper, El País, has reported that the City of Barcelona is in the process of migrating its computer system to Open Source technologies.

According to the news report, the city plans to first replace all its user applications with alternative open source applications. This will go on until the only remaining proprietary software will be Windows where it will finally be replaced with a Linux distribution.

The City has plans for 70% of its software budget to be invested in open source software in the coming year. The transition period, according to Francesca Bria (Commissioner of Technology and Digital Innovation at the City Council) will be completed before the mandate of the present administrators come to an end in Spring 2019.

Excerpt.  Read more at It's FOSS

Offline ShadowAce

Re: City of Barcelona Kicks Out Microsoft in Favor of Linux and Open Source
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 09:58:41 pm »

@BikkFire @geronl @Smokin Joe @roamer_1 @Blizzardnh @markomalley @VarmintAl @Doug Loss @Rikki Tikki Tavi @guitar4jesus @kevindavis @Oceander @EC

Munich is going one way, and Barcelona is going the other....

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 02:50:45 pm »
As I recall, South Africa did this about 10 years ago.  I don't know if they ever followed through, but it was news that they were going to transition all government systems to FOSS.
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 02:56:29 pm »

@BikkFire @geronl @Smokin Joe @roamer_1 @Blizzardnh @markomalley @VarmintAl @Doug Loss @Rikki Tikki Tavi @guitar4jesus @kevindavis @Oceander @EC

Munich is going one way, and Barcelona is going the other....

Well Barcelona has Messi, so my money's on them.