Author Topic: GOP angst over midterms grows  (Read 2321 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
GOP angst over midterms grows
« on: January 11, 2018, 03:14:05 pm »
GOP angst over midterms grows
By Scott Wong - 01/11/18 06:00 AM EST

For some Republicans, it’s starting to feel like 2006 — a wave election year that swept Democrats back into power in the House and Senate.

The retirement of two longtime California Republicans this week — just the latest in a string of House Republicans heading for the exits — has caused panic among some in the GOP who say it’s yet another sign that an anti-Trump, Democratic wave is forming.

“It’s a tough election cycle for Republicans; we know that going in,” said Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (R-Fla.), who is not running for reelection after representing a heavily Hispanic Miami district for nearly 30 years.

more
http://thehill.com/homenews/house/368436-gop-angst-over-midterms-grows
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: GOP angst over midterms grows
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 03:22:16 am »
Hey Pubbies?

Want to get rid of that angst?

Then... do what you were elected to do!

(that is all...)

Offline Concerned

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 03:34:13 am »
I'm afraid the angst in the House is probably justified.  Since 1962, the average loss of seats for the President's party is 40 seats when the President's approval rating is less than 50%.  The Dems only need to gain 24 seats to take the majority. 
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline corbe

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 03:36:13 am »
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 04:02:51 am »
I'm afraid the angst in the House is probably justified.  Since 1962, the average loss of seats for the President's party is 40 seats when the President's approval rating is less than 50%.  The Dems only need to gain 24 seats to take the majority.

And the Trumpers don't care.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 04:11:26 am »
Well, this situation is entirely self-inflicted.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 04:42:35 am »

Where did you get your approval numbers?

Polls haven't been right in years, which phony one are you citing?
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 04:45:04 am »
Well, this situation is entirely self-inflicted.

Entirely.

And, they deserve to go the way of the Whigs.

I'll be doing my share to help that happen.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 04:57:57 am »

Why should anyone? They made years of promises only to be exposed for being total frauds when they got all the power they demanded. It is all rather pointless for any GOP'er to be in office if they are going to hide in their offices doing bong hits instead of getting shit done.

Offline anubias

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2018, 05:05:03 am »
Why should anyone? They made years of promises only to be exposed for being total frauds when they got all the power they demanded. It is all rather pointless for any GOP'er to be in office if they are going to hide in their offices doing bong hits instead of getting shit done.

This ^^^^^

They cave to the Dems at every turn.  They need to be sent back home.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2018, 09:27:34 am »

Are you one of the folks delusional enough to think a strong Democrat ajority wouldn't be ramming through a lot of horror?  Even seat-warming GOP provides interdiction.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline libertybele

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2018, 01:17:39 pm »

In the Senate;  there are 34 seats up in 2018, of which 26 are held by Democrats. They will only need to gain 2 seats to take control.

In the House, all seats are up for grab and so far 30 GOP are retiring.

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Concerned

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2018, 02:14:16 pm »
In the Senate;  there are 34 seats up in 2018, of which 26 are held by Democrats. They will only need to gain 2 seats to take control.

In the House, all seats are up for grab and so far 30 GOP are retiring.

And in the last 100 years, the President’s party lost an average of 23 seats in the House during the President’s first midterm.  Are this President’s approval ratings likely to indicate an above average or below average loss of seats?  An above average loss of seats would give the House majority to the Dems.

Offline edpc

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2018, 02:16:08 pm »
Are you one of the folks delusional enough to think a strong Democrat ajority wouldn't be ramming through a lot of horror?  Even seat-warming GOP provides interdiction.

I'm not, but I'd also prefer to be metaphorically shot through the heart by an enemy than slowly suffocated by a supposed ally.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2018, 02:18:58 pm »
And in the last 100 years, the President’s party lost an average of 23 seats in the House during the President’s first midterm.  Are this President’s approval ratings likely to indicate an above average or below average loss of seats?  An above average loss of seats would give the House majority to the Dems.

Who cares about the last 100 years? 100 years ago a lot of people didn't have bathrooms in their house. If you look at the last 20 years, that number dramatically changes. Country is far too divided now to have these wild swings left.

Offline Concerned

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2018, 03:14:23 pm »
Who cares about the last 100 years? 100 years ago a lot of people didn't have bathrooms in their house. If you look at the last 20 years, that number dramatically changes. Country is far too divided now to have these wild swings left.

Looking at the last 10-12 years, the Dems picked up 31 seats in 2006.  In the first mid-term after Obama’s Presidency in 2010, the Reps picked up 63.  The Reps picked up an additional 13 seats in 2014 and lost 6 in 2016.  It’ll be interesting to see the swing in 2018.   I don’t think a swing of 24 is out of the question.  Time will tell.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 03:19:48 pm by Concerned »

Offline edpc

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2018, 03:21:58 pm »
Looking at the last 10-12 years, the Dems picked up 31 seats in 2006.  In the first mid-term after Obama’s Presidency in 2010, the Reps picked up 63.  The Reps picked up an additional 13 seats in 2014.  It’ll be interesting to see the swing in 2018.   I don’t think a swing of 24 is out of the question.  Time will tell.

Not entirely impossible, but they’re not presently getting much in the way of donor support and issues traction.  The glow from Jones quickly waned.  The best things they have going are shithole and Oprah.

Offline Concerned

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2018, 03:38:56 pm »

Not entirely impossible, but they’re not presently getting much in the way of donor support and issues traction.  The glow from Jones quickly waned.  The best things they have going are shithole and Oprah.

We'll see.  I think the best thing they have going for them is an energized "Resistance".  African American turnout in Alabama last fall has been called "massive" and "extraordinary".  Turnout in the latest election in Virginia was a 20 year high for a gubernatorial race.  I expect Democratic turnout for the midterms to be extremely high, and the more inflammatory, divisive, and base-centric things that come from the President, the more energized I expect the Democrats to be. 

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2018, 03:26:36 am »
With the continuing "division of the states" into red and blue orbs, many Congressional districts are similarly polarized (redistricting has a lot to do with this).

I predict the "blue zones" will continue to be blue, while the "red zones" continue to remain red.

That leaves the "purple fringe".
Too early to tell just yet.
Gonna have to wait and see.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2018, 03:45:18 am »
Tends to happen when you're a party about nothing.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2018, 04:27:27 am »
Hey Pubbies?

Want to get rid of that angst?

Then... do what you were elected to do!

(that is all...)

Borderwall, NO amnesty, repeal of Bammycare.  So far they are 0 for 3.  Not exactly a stellar performance going into the mid-terms.  Not surprising really.  Ryan hasn't changed, nor has the Turtle.  In fact, Ryan's grand and glorious speech after Trump's election has turned out to be absolutely pure b.s. just as I thought it was when I sat and watched him ramble.  His speech (note especially his comments on Bammycare and a unified Republican party):

http://time.com/4564832/paul-ryan-speech-donald-trump-election/

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2018, 05:16:53 am »
The volume of desperate screeching fundraising emails seems to indicate concern.

I'm done voting till Trumpism is dead and buried in a shallow woodland grave.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2018, 01:50:15 pm »
The volume of desperate screeching fundraising emails seems to indicate concern.

I'm done voting till Trumpism is dead and buried in a shallow woodland grave.

What exactly is your definition of Trumpism and how do you feel his presidency is less to the right than 'W's or Bush Sr.'s?  Secondly, IMHO the mid terms aren't a reflection of Trump, but a reflection of those in Congress. They are or at least should be held responsible for their actions or lack of action during the mid terms.  If you don't like the actions are the lack thereof of the GOPe, they are the ones that need to be held responsible, not Trump during the mid terms.  His evaluation comes in 2020.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2018, 05:17:23 pm »
What exactly is your definition of Trumpism and how do you feel his presidency is less to the right than 'W's or Bush Sr.'s?  Secondly, IMHO the mid terms aren't a reflection of Trump, but a reflection of those in Congress. They are or at least should be held responsible for their actions or lack of action during the mid terms.  If you don't like the actions are the lack thereof of the GOPe, they are the ones that need to be held responsible, not Trump during the mid terms.  His evaluation comes in 2020.

I completely disagree with your statement “the midterms aren’t a reflection of Trump.” Midterms are a referendum on a sitting President. All you need to do is look back at 2010 & 2016, both were referendums on Obama.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2018, 05:29:57 pm »
If and it is a big IF, but if the GOP can convincingly show that the Rats used the
DOJ, CIA, NSA and FBI to throw the election to Hillary then the Rats will lose massively.
More and more it is looks like that is exactly what happened but high profile Obama
admin folks need to be put on trail to drive home to the voters just how corrupt the
Rats are. Do that GOP and you will be fine in 2018. Don't do that and 2018 will be a very
bad election for you.