Author Topic: Olive branch: Trump offers scaled-back border wall as Democrats soften resistance  (Read 2059 times)

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
@Chosen Daughter  @Cripplecreek @INVAR

Never took him literally regarding the Southern Border Wall.   

Of course you didn't.  None of Trump's rabid fan base did.

All of you just wanted your foul-mouthed celebrity political messiah because of your blind belief he was going to be a wrecking ball, and nothing more.  None of you gave a shit what he believed or stood for or would fight for, as long as he entertained you and bloodied the noses of those you hate very publicly.

Well... you got your reward.  Enjoy.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Of course you didn't.  None of Trump's rabid fan base did.

All of you just wanted your foul-mouthed celebrity political messiah because of your blind belief he was going to be a wrecking ball, and nothing more.  None of you gave a shit what he believed or stood for or would fight for, as long as he entertained you and bloodied the noses of those you hate very publicly.

Well... you got your reward.  Enjoy.

@INVAR

MAGA, Baby!   

MAGA!!  MAGA!! MAGA!!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer

Well, like Adolf said - they were warriors, not a moral institution.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 03:24:05 am by mystery-ak »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Exactly.  Building a wall and NO amnesty is what jump started his presidential campaign, it's why he drew the crowds that he did.  It is what his supporters want and what he promised.  IF he doesn't deliver we'll lose the midterms and the leftists will have their amnesty anyways.
He stole the wall (Cruz, 2012) anyway.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
@Chosen Daughter  @Cripplecreek @INVAR

Never took him literally regarding the Southern Border Wall.   Much of it can be monitored 24/7 by drones and other wireless gizmos.

The key is how swiftly border jumpers can be processed and helicoptered to the middle of the Gulf of Mexico, so the endless parade stops.

This can be accomplished simultaneously with the selective 3AM pickups for the FEMAEC.....'education camps'.   

/S

Totally agree.  We knew a total wall between our countries, given the length and the terrain was not possible.

I considered the wall to be a symbol and I still do.  As long as Trump is adamantly pursuing the rest of his goals of border protection and anti-illegal immigration, I am okay with it.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

Sorry, I just had to laugh at your threat.  But next time, remember what our first grade teachers taught us, "use your words."

Oceander

Totally agree.  We knew a total wall between our countries, given the length and the terrain was not possible.

I considered the wall to be a symbol and I still do.  As long as Trump is adamantly pursuing the rest of his goals of border protection and anti-illegal immigration, I am okay with it.

/snicker

Here comes the denial.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
/snicker

Here comes the denial.

What denial?  I wasn't a wall believer but I do think Trump has the right ideas and goals on border safety and immigration.

You?

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Sorry, I just had to laugh at your threat.  But next time, remember what our first grade teachers taught us, "use your words."

No threat just a fact.  Now go sit on the floor and get ready for Trump time.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
No threat just a fact.  Now go sit on the floor and get ready for Trump time.

Stop taking everything so personally.  It was hilarious that you threatened to withhold a vote from Trump that you never had any intention of giving him in the first place.

So I laughed.  Why didn't you attack Frank instead of me?  Maybe it's because Frank don't take no sheet from anybody.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
My vote for W (really against Gore) in 2000 didn't make a difference.  He would have still won FL, and the election, by like 192 votes without it.

But that is something we'll never know.  I think people should vote their conscience, even if it means voting lesser of two evils.

Offline anubias

Stop taking everything so personally.  It was hilarious that you threatened to withhold a vote from Trump that you never had any intention of giving him in the first place.

So I laughed.  Why didn't you attack Frank instead of me?  Maybe it's because Frank don't take no sheet from anybody.

So did I.  It was hilarious!   :beer:

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
/snicker

Here comes the denial.

Trumpers are lying immoral people.

They rabidly attacked anyone who didn't call for a 50 foot wall from sea to shining sea as being weak on immigration and constantly threatened any opposition with  "The wall just got taller". Morons

Trump gonna build us a wall. Mmm hmmm

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
@INVAR

MAGA, Baby!   

MAGA!!  MAGA!! MAGA!!

Like I said before my post was deleted, you step prettier than those boys in that big giant rally they used to have in them giant fields over yonder.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Stop taking everything so personally.

While I talk about you.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Silver Pines

What lowbrow sites do you frequent that you find this crap?

@Right_in_Virginia

As opposed to those highbrow sites where people post fan pics and squeal that Trump loves his deplorables?

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Trumpers are lying immoral people.

They rabidly attacked anyone who didn't call for a 50 foot wall from sea to shining sea as being weak on immigration and constantly threatened any opposition with  "The wall just got taller". Morons

Trump gonna build us a wall. Mmm hmmm
I can't count the invective-saturated posts to which I had been subjected for simply pointing out the varied site geology and substrate characterisitcs were going to make the full 1954 miles a serious challenge, not to mention water access for ranchers and farmers, etc., by people who decried me as some sort of heretical Cruzbot naysayer, and who insisted he'd build it all. Now the reverse march begins...
(Even though Cruz first proposed a wall in 2012 and someone else was taking credit for the idea).

Regardless, this is a, if not THE, seminal issue, and failure will not play well. It takes more than just fear of his opponent to win a second time.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Cripplecreek

I can't count the invective-saturated posts to which I had been subjected for simply pointing out the varied site geology and substrate characterisitcs were going to make the full 1954 miles a serious challenge, not to mention water access for ranchers and farmers, etc., by people who decried me as some sort of heretical Cruzbot naysayer, and who insisted he'd build it all. Now the reverse march begins...
(Even though Cruz first proposed a wall in 2012 and someone else was taking credit for the idea).

Regardless, this is a, if not THE, seminal issue, and failure will not play well. It takes more than just fear of his opponent to win a second time.

Just about everything Trump has done has been like this starting with his so called hate for big donors and their influence in politics. Trumpers went rabid over Ted Cruz being "owned by Goldman Sachs" because he took out a loan and paid it off yet Trumpers meekly fell in line when Trump started inserting several of those Goldman Sachs people in his administration. The same was repeated with the hate for the "establishment" when Trump made Reince Priebus his chief of staff and things went downhill from there.

Just a couple of weeks ago Trump commuted the sentence of the Kosher meat packing plant owner who was violating immigration laws, child labor laws, tax evasion and multiple other laws. Trump's biggest cheerleaders were right there to declare that it was OK because Trump would win over a few Jewish voters.

I might respect Trumpers if they had any self respect but they don't.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 01:36:56 pm by Cripplecreek »

Silver Pines

Personally I don’t think it will really hurt Trump if the wall doesn’t get built.  Some will be angry enough to peel off and go elsewhere, but those will be the ones for whom the wall was the single issue.

His fans, though?  They’ll hit the brakes, screech to a stop, and take off in the opposite direction.  Just like they did last week with Steve Bannon, the hotly-defended political genius who became a traitorous loser overnight. 

It’s already happening.  “Wall?  You mean you took it literally?  Why, I never did!”   Lol

What a time to be alive.

Offline Cripplecreek

@CatherineofAragon

Elephant?

What elephant?