Author Topic: Boos Show Risk Of Trump's Base-First Strategy  (Read 959 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Boos Show Risk Of Trump's Base-First Strategy
« on: January 09, 2018, 04:07:16 pm »
Atlanta (AFP) - US President Donald Trump's mixed reception from football fans on his political home turf in the US south on Monday underscored the risk in his unrelenting and contentious focus on core supporters.

The 45th president rarely moves outside his comfort zone, and so it was meant to be on a two-state whirlwind tour Monday.

Trump visited the conservative bastions of Tennessee and Georgia, cozying up to farmers and throwing red meat to college football fans by attending a championship final game.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/boos-show-risk-trumps-first-strategy-105521748.html
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline edpc

Re: Boos Show Risk Of Trump's Base-First Strategy
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 04:08:36 pm »
Nonsense.  First of all, he’s never going to carry Atlanta districts.  Also, if there were boos, they were decidedly drowned out.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 04:35:30 pm »
Nonsense.  First of all, he’s never going to carry Atlanta districts.  Also, if there were boos, they were decidedly drowned out.
I heard the boos. They were louder than anything I'd heard since Ashlee Simpson's performance at the Orange Bowl 13 years ago. Of course, the mainly black (only important because it means mainly Democrat) audience was never going to like Trump anyway.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 04:54:01 pm »
I heard the boos. They were louder than anything I'd heard since Ashlee Simpson's performance at the Orange Bowl 13 years ago. Of course, the mainly black (only important because it means mainly Democrat) audience was never going to like Trump anyway.

I don't know what special TV you had to hear all these boos. I watched it and he got a pretty good reception considering most Presidents get boos at sporting events because they don't belong there.

Offline edpc

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 04:58:38 pm »
They were louder than anything I'd heard since Ashlee Simpson's performance at the Orange Bowl 13 years ago.

Did you at least have good seats?

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 05:07:39 pm »
Atlanta (AFP) - US President Donald Trump's mixed reception from football fans on his political home turf in the US south on Monday underscored the risk in his unrelenting and contentious focus on core supporters.

The 45th president rarely moves outside his comfort zone, and so it was meant to be on a two-state whirlwind tour Monday.

Trump visited the conservative bastions of Tennessee and Georgia, cozying up to farmers and throwing red meat to college football fans by attending a championship final game.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/boos-show-risk-trumps-first-strategy-105521748.html

I use Yahoo as my search engine but I also go there every day to see what negative stuff they've dug up on Trump.  Yahoo is the most anti-Trump site anywhere.  They do not try to hide it.

I'm gonna head over there now and see.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 05:11:48 pm »
Yeah, this was their lead story but they also gave a lot of play to Colbert interviewing Wolff.

Real hard-hitting interview which culminated in Colbert asking Wolff if there was anything he liked about the Trump administration and Wolff doing a cute face into the camera.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Concerned

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2018, 05:16:45 pm »
I’m not sure boos (or cheers) at a football game are an indication of much, but I’ve never understood the apparent, only-appeal-to-the-base, strategy.  I think its ineffectiveness is reflective in his approval numbers (mid to high 30’s).  I believe the President ran a brilliant election campaign and tapped into a level of dissatisfaction not fully realized by most others, but his focus primarily on his base continues to confuse me (I freely admit I don’t play 12-dimensional chess).  He won 4 states and 75 electoral votes by 1.3 points or less.  I just don’t see how an essentially, base-only strategy is going to cut it for getting him reelected.

I suppose his entire strategy could be that he hopes to get the economy really humming well beyond current levels, and that voters will then follow him.  That just seems like a risky strategy given how many things outside his control could impact the economy and how polarizing he is.  The economy is pretty good right now, but it’s not particularly reflected in his approvals. 
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 05:23:23 pm by Concerned »
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline edpc

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2018, 05:23:07 pm »
I’m not sure boos (or cheers) at a football game are an indication of much, but I’ve never understood the apparent, only-appeal-to-the-base, strategy.  I think its ineffectiveness is reflective in his approval numbers (mid to high 30’s).  I believe the President ran a brilliant election campaign and tapped into a level of dissatisfaction not fully realized by most others, but his focus primarily on his base continues to confuse me (I freely admit I don’t play 12-dimensional chess).  He won 4 states and 75 electoral votes by 1.3 points or less.  I just don’t see how an essentially, base-only strategy is going to cut it in 2020.

I suppose his entire strategy could be that he hopes to get the economy really humming well beyond current levels, and that voters will then follow him.  That just seems like a risky strategy given how many things outside his control could impact the economy and how polarizing he is.  The economy is pretty good right now, but it’s not particularly reflected in his approvals.

You also bad a good amount of voters sitting it out, or voting 3rd party.  We'll know more about the economic growth once the midterms roll around.  If growth increases, nothing crazy happens with the market or militarily, his chances are better than average in 2020.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2018, 05:29:17 pm »
You also bad a good amount of voters sitting it out, or voting 3rd party.  We'll know more about the economic growth once the midterms roll around.  If growth increases, nothing crazy happens with the market or militarily, his chances are better than average in 2020.

Which are you hoping for? 

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2018, 12:29:24 am »
Video of the event.

Maybe this is why the boos:

! No longer available
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Fantom

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2018, 12:38:30 am »

Yep, and the anti- Amercan(obama)blacks in Atlanta could not afford to be there anyways.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline edpc

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2018, 01:25:38 am »
Which are you hoping for?

I am hoping for what I expected after he won the election: That he would state sometime after the 2018 midterms, he had accomplished what he set out to do and would leave it to Pence or whomever in 2020. I’m especially hopeful, after hearing that disaster today.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2018, 01:41:33 am »

And then there's the possibility that Trump just wanted to see a really good football game.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Concerned

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2018, 01:59:32 am »

I am hoping for what I expected after he won the election: That he would state sometime after the 2018 midterms, he had accomplished what he set out to do and would leave it to Pence or whomever in 2020. I’m especially hopeful, after hearing that disaster today.

@edpc

You're certainly not alone.
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2018, 02:41:27 am »

Did you at least have good seats?
As good as they get, watching on TV from the comfort of home, not that it matters much.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024