Author Topic: Energy agency rejects Trump plan to prop up coal and nuclear power plants  (Read 1437 times)

Offline Suppressed

Energy agency rejects Trump plan to prop up coal and nuclear power plants
The unexpected decision by the Republican-controlled body is a blow to the president’s high-profile mission to revive the struggling US coal industry
Joanna Walters   Mon 8 Jan ‘18 20.18 EST
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/jan/08/donald-trump-coal-industry-plan-rejected-rick-perry

An independent energy agency on Monday rejected a Trump administration plan to bolster coal-fired and nuclear power plants with subsidies, dealing a blow to the president’s high-profile mission to revive the struggling coal industry.

The decision by the Republican-controlled Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) was unexpected and comes amid repeated promises by Trump to rejuvenate coal as the nation’s top power source. The industry has been besieged by multiple bankruptcies and a steady loss of market share as natural gas and renewable energy have flourished.

[...]
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline RetBobbyMI

The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) is the United States federal agency that regulates the transmission and wholesale sale of electricity and natural gas in interstate commerce and regulates the transportation of oil by pipeline in interstate commerce. FERC also reviews proposals to build interstate natural gas pipelines, natural gas storage projects, and liquefied natural gas (LNG) terminals, in addition to licensing non-federal hydropower projects.

I don’t see coal here.

In response to the 1973 oil crisis, Congress passed the Department of Energy Organization Act in 1977, to consolidate various energy-related agencies into a Department of Energy. Congress insisted that a separate independent regulatory body be retained, and the FPC was renamed the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), preserving its independent status within the Department.  FERC was also given added responsibility to hear appeals of DOE oil price control determinations and to conduct all "on the record" hearings for DOE.  As a result, DOE does not have any administrative law judges. As a further protection, when the Department of Energy proposes a rule, it must refer the proposal to FERC, and FERC can take over the proceeding if FERC determines that the rulemaking "may significantly affect" matters in its jurisdiction. The DOE Act also transferred the regulation of interstate oil pipelines from the Interstate Commerce Commission to FERC. However, the FERC lost some jurisdiction over the imports and exports of gas and electricity.

Dont see a need to have both the DoE and this commission. If Trump wants to abolish regulations, get rid of this duplication.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline endicom

I would seek a level playing field for coal, not subsidy.

I would look at modern methods of nuclear power generation and allow but not subsidize the best.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
I would seek a level playing field for coal, not subsidy.

I would look at modern methods of nuclear power generation and allow but not subsidize the best.

There you go!  Thinking logically again!  ****slapping
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline RetBobbyMI

There you go!  Thinking logically again!  ****slapping
Ha Ha. I spent way too many years working in or for the govmint. I resented the swamp then, and now being retired and looking at the looney business from the outside, yeah...logic.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
endicom wrote above:
"I would seek a level playing field for coal, not subsidy.
I would look at modern methods of nuclear power generation and allow but not subsidize the best."

Coal will survive -- possibly thrive -- without subsidies.

Nuclear power, on the other hand, cannot.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
endicom wrote above:
"I would seek a level playing field for coal, not subsidy.
I would look at modern methods of nuclear power generation and allow but not subsidize the best."

Coal will survive -- possibly thrive -- without subsidies.

Nuclear power, on the other hand, cannot.

I disagree!  In a true free market environment I believe Nuclear does quite well.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline endicom

I disagree!  In a true free market environment I believe Nuclear does quite well.

If a nuclear plant can get private insurance then it should be good to go.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

I agree.  No other power source is as reliable and environmentally safe as nuclear to generate electricity.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington