Author Topic: Note to NeverTrumps: Trump's Character Is Admirable  (Read 1160 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Note to NeverTrumps: Trump's Character Is Admirable
« on: January 05, 2018, 02:59:04 pm »
Note to NeverTrumps: Trump's Character Is Admirable
American Thinker, Jan 5, 2018, Karin McQuillan

As more and more people who hate Trump are forced to admit his achievements as president, they are doubling down on character assassination.  Even Trump voters often preface their satisfaction with Trump's actions by criticizing his tweets or his personality.

Here's an alternate take on things: Trump's character is responsible for his outstanding performance in his first year as president.  If you want to know who someone is, you look at what he does.  What we have: a booming economy, growing jobs, more lawful governance, fewer regulations, more global security.  What character traits this took: hard work, focus, commitment, courage, honesty, independence, incorruptibility, self-confidence, love of excellence.  The list of Trump's positive character traits goes on and on.  You don't get achievements independent of character.

<snip>

Trump is honest in another sense, also: he is not corrupt.  Indeed, he seems incorruptible.  Trump does not sell himself to certain industries or lobbying groups (think the Clinton Foundation; think Obama's wasting the trillion-dollar economic stimulus on Solyndra green schemes and payoffs to Democrat voting blocs).  President Trump is a unique politician – a free man.

Read more: http://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2018/01/note_to_nevertrumps_trumps_character_is_admirable.html

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Re: Note to NeverTrumps: Trump's Character Is Admirable
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 03:05:25 pm »
This is a long and substantive article.  I hope folks read it and understand a little more about the President.

Here's a little more.  This was a cornerstone of candidate Trump's campaign and his victory ...

Trump does not see Americans in different categories.  He cares about all Americans, black, white and brown; rich, middle-class, and poor; city-dwellers and country-dwellers; New York sophisticates and Evangelicals.  He values freedom and prosperity for himself and for the rest of us.  He wants to do what is best for the country, not what is best for only some identity groups or some regions at the expense of others, as in Obama and Hillary's zero- sum game of identity politics.

Oceander

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 03:06:50 pm »
:facepalm2:

Trump’s own tweets gainsay most of the superlatives about his ego and character.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 03:30:14 pm »
 :silly:

Oh my sides.....
Countdown to Resignation

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 03:44:15 pm »
Note to ALWAYSTrump: the fact you have to keep shoving this shit in our faces and screaming the accolades of your savior while throttling everyone who doesn't share your view of the man, proves to me that you don't believe your own bullshit about him.

Sticking your fingers in our faces to insist that Trump's character is admirable dismisses your claim altogether as being bogus and disingenuous.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Concerned

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 03:51:42 pm »
Interesting article, but like most things with Trump it’s all about whether you think the glass is half-empty or half-full.  Relative to a number of the points made in the article I agree with some and disagree with others:

Promise keeping:  Sure the President has kept some promises but he’s failed to keep some high profile ones: “lock her up”, repeal and replace, Mexico paying for the wall, proposing a Constitutional Amendment for term limits (#1 on his 100 day plan), eliminating the debt within 8 years (instead he’s adding to it), he said he'd rarely leave the White House and not take time off, but he's played an awful lot of golf and spent an awful lot of time at Trump properties, no lawsuit against the many females who accused him of sexual misconduct, no "so presidential that you won’t even recognize" him, he's still tweeting even though he said:  "I tweeted today. At ‘realdonaldtrump,’ I tweet. You know it… don’t worry, I’ll give it up after I’m president. We won’t tweet anymore, I don’t think. Not presidential."  There's a long list of promises not kept:  many very high profile and important.

Being a fighter:  Yes, he’s a fighter, but many of us find the petty squabbles and name-calling unbecoming of the office. 

Regulations:  I think Trump deserves a huge amount of credit for cutting regulations, and I believe (but can’t prove) that this and the anticipation of corporate tax cuts have been a huge contributing factor for the run-up of the stock market in his first year.

Honesty:   Trump may or may not be corrupt or criminal, but I don’t see how anyone can honestly say or imply he’s an honest and truthful man.  Personally, I truly value truth and honesty and really abhor dishonesty. Whether it was Clinton, Bush, or Obama, whenever they were dishonest, I called them on it. Similarly, I do it with President Trump, but I must say, Trump certainly does seem to take the frequency of lies, falsehoods, misleading, and deflecting statements to a whole new level, and I just find that incredibly disheartening and unbecoming of the office of the Presidency.

Self-centered, extroverted braggart:  I agree but certainly don’t find those traits admirable in any way.

On “not allow(ing) North Korea….to have nuclear weapons”:  That horse has already left the barn.  According to the BBC:  “North Korea says it has conducted five successful nuclear tests: in 2006, 2009, 2013 and in January and September 2016.  The yield of the bombs appears to have increased.  September 2016's test has indicated a device with an explosive yield of between 10 and 30 kilotonnes - which, if confirmed, would make it the North's strongest nuclear test ever.”

ISIS:  As I’ve said before, I think he deserves all the credit in the world for freeing up our military’s rules of engagement and taking the fight to ISIS.

He's certainly accomplished SOME of the things he promised, but he's failed to meet many of them (and many that are important to me).   Overall though, I don't find the lies, misleading statements, deflections, self-centeredness, bragging, childish name-calling, and petty squabbles to be any kind of character traits that I find admirable in the least.  JMO.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 04:30:22 pm by Concerned »
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2018, 03:59:21 pm »
Interesting article, but like most things with Trump it’s all about whether you think the glass is half-empty or half-full.  Relative to a number of the points made in the article I agree with some and disagree with others:

Promise keeping:  Sure the President has kept some promises but he’s failed to keep some high profile ones: “lock her up”, repeal and replace, Mexico paying for the wall, proposing a Constitutional Amendment for term limits (#1 on his 100 day plan), eliminating the debt within 8 years (instead he’s adding to it), he said he'd rarely leave the White House and not take time off, but he's played an awful lot of golf and spent an awful lot of time at Trump properties, no lawsuit against the many females who accused him of sexual misconduct, no "so presidential that you won’t even recognize" him, he's still tweeting even though he said:  "I tweeted today. At ‘realdonaldtrump,’ I tweet. You know it… don’t worry, I’ll give it up after I’m president. We won’t tweet anymore, I don’t think. Not presidential."  There's a long list of promises not kept:  many very high profile and important.

Being a fighter:  Yes, he’s a fighter, but many of us find the petty squabbles and name-calling unbecoming of the office. 

Regulations:  I think Trump deserves a huge amount of credit for cutting regulations, and I believe (but can’t prove) that this and the anticipation of corporate tax cuts have been a huge contributing factor for the run-up of the stock market this year.

Honesty:   Trump may or may not be corrupt or criminal, but I don’t see how anyone can honestly say or imply he’s an honest and truthful man.  Personally, I truly value truth and honesty and really abhor dishonesty. Whether it was Clinton, Bush, or Obama, whenever they were dishonest, I called them on it. Similarly, I do it with President Trump, but I must say, Trump certainly does seem to take the frequency of lies, falsehoods, misleading, and deflecting statements to a whole new level, and I just find that incredibly disheartening and unbecoming of the office of the Presidency.

Self-centered, extroverted braggart:  I agree but certainly don’t find those traits admirable in any way.

On “not allowing North Korea….from having nuclear weapons”:  That horse has already left the barn.  According to the BBC:  “North Korea says it has conducted five successful nuclear tests: in 2006, 2009, 2013 and in January and September 2016.  The yield of the bombs appears to have increased.  September 2016's test has indicated a device with an explosive yield of between 10 and 30 kilotonnes - which, if confirmed, would make it the North's strongest nuclear test ever.”

ISIS:  As I’ve said before, I think he deserves all the credit in the world for freeing up our military’s rules of engagement and taking the fight to ISIS.

He's certainly accomplished SOME of the things he promised, but he's failed to meet many of them (and many that are important to me).   Overall though, I don't find the lies, misleading statements, deflections, self-centeredness, bragging, childish name-calling, and petty squabbles to be any kind of character traits that I find admirable in the least.  JMO.

@Concerned

A very measured and well reasoned post. Some things about him I can overlook, I agree cutting the regulatory environment will probably be a big boon for the economy,  but adding on to our debt that is already too high should be totally unacceptable to conservatives.  That bill is going to come due some day and when it does, it’s not going to be a pretty sight. It will start out with creditors demanding higher interest rates

I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2018, 07:12:07 pm »
Trump is an egotistical braggart who likes people.  How's that?
He has some admirable traits and many traits not quite so admirable.
Yes, I voted for him.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2018, 07:22:35 pm »
@Concerned

A very measured and well reasoned post. Some things about him I can overlook, I agree cutting the regulatory environment will probably be a big boon for the economy,  but adding on to our debt that is already too high should be totally unacceptable to conservatives.  That bill is going to come due some day and when it does, it’s not going to be a pretty sight. It will start out with creditors demanding higher interest rates
@LMAO
The best part of Donaldus Minimus other than Neil Gorsuch (and even Gorsuch wasn't Donaldus Minimus's own original idea) has been his regulatory cutting.

I grant you that it's comparable to cutting one tiny leaf on a hedge that's badly in need of a trimming, but still . . .

And while nobody in his right mind would object to tax cuts, I happen to agree that unless there come signficant and irrevocable spending cuts, and not that old nonsense of merely cutting the rates at which spending increases, the bill coming due is going to be a suffocator.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 07:26:07 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2018, 07:27:25 pm »

Regulations:  I think Trump deserves a huge amount of credit for cutting regulations, and I believe (but can’t prove) that this and the anticipation of corporate tax cuts have been a huge contributing factor for the run-up of the stock market in his first year.

On “not allow(ing) North Korea….to have nuclear weapons”:  That horse has already left the barn.  According to the BBC:  “North Korea says it has conducted five successful nuclear tests: in 2006, 2009, 2013 and in January and September 2016.  The yield of the bombs appears to have increased.  September 2016's test has indicated a device with an explosive yield of between 10 and 30 kilotonnes - which, if confirmed, would make it the North's strongest nuclear test ever.”

Good post, and pretty darn close to a fair and "objective" assessment of this President.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2018, 07:40:24 pm »
Note to ALWAYSTrump: the fact you have to keep shoving this shit in our faces and screaming the accolades of your savior while throttling everyone who doesn't share your view of the man, proves to me that you don't believe your own bullshit about him.

Sticking your fingers in our faces to insist that Trump's character is admirable dismisses your claim altogether as being bogus and disingenuous.

Bingo. Trump is exactly what WE ALL knew Trump to be 2 years ago when 90% of his current fans were rightfully calling him a lying liberal scumbag.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2018, 08:00:26 pm »
To say Trump (or any human being) has no character flaws, is, in and of itself, a character flaw.