Author Topic: Just How Democratic Is Mexico?  (Read 664 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Just How Democratic Is Mexico?
« on: January 05, 2018, 09:51:52 am »
Just How Democratic Is Mexico?

As neoliberalism caused greater inequality and more poverty in Mexico ever since the 1990's, the country's leaders stifled press freedom and democratic rights in order to maintain power. Now Mexico has one of the world's highest murder rates of journalists explains CEPR's Mark Weisbrot

G. WILPERT: Welcome to the Real News Network. I'm Gregory Wilpert coming to you from Quito, Ecuador. 12 journalists have been murdered in Mexico in 2017. Over 100 journalists have been murdered in the past 10 years. This is according to a report from the press freedom organization Reporters Without Borders. They add that this statistic makes Mexico and Syria the two world's most dangerous places to practice journalism. This grim statistic, which has to do with freedom of the press, also raises the question of: Just how democratic is Mexico, anyway?

Until the year 2000, it was generally assumed that Mexico was a limited democracy, where the institutional revolutionary party, or PRI, governed Mexico uninterruptedly for 70 years. Then, in 2000, the PRI lost power for the first time, electing Vicente Fox as president of the conservative national action party. Did Mexico actually become more democratic after 2000? Joining me to take a closer look at this question is Mark Weisbrot. Mark is the co-director of the Center for Economic and Policy Research, and is author of the book, 'Failed: What the Experts Got Wrong About the Global Economy.' He joins us from Washington, DC. Thanks for being here again, Mark.

M. WEISBROT: Thanks, Gregory.

Read more at: http://therealnews.com/t2/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31&Itemid=74&jumival=20835

I think this website leans progressive, I will have to see but it doesn't seem like a bad article.  It looks like it is a PBS/Democracy Now type of website but I could be wrong. I don't see anything outright obnoxious there.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 09:53:51 am by TomSea »