Author Topic: New computer,Win 10 Home,and can't get my speakers to work  (Read 7006 times)

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: New computer,Win 10 Home,and can't get my speakers to work
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2018, 03:03:27 am »
Yeah, but no... it played the Windows Welcome sound, which is driver sound, not bios.
That's what makes it weird. If the dirver wasn't loaded, there should be no sound at all.
 :shrug:

@roamer_1

I don't no nutting bout no bits and bytes,but maybe the Win 10 software driver was a outdated version that no longer worked properly?

Not that I really care. I have it working now.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2018, 04:05:00 am »
Bigun wrote:
"Never owned an Apple product and never will."

Give the Mac a try someday.
The company may be leftist and looney, but the computers they put out remain pretty good stuff.

The OS itself doesn't seem to be too political.

Perhaps this is moreso with the iPhone and iPad. I don't use them (iOS).
I'm a "Mac OS only" guy... three decades now, going on four.

BassWrangler

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2018, 04:46:50 am »
Yeah, but no... it played the Windows Welcome sound, which is driver sound, not bios.
That's what makes it weird. If the dirver wasn't loaded, there should be no sound at all.
 :shrug:

I wondef if when he "loaded" the driver for the sound card, it had the side effect of making the speakers the default audio output. reading this thread I was convinced it was the HDMI sound to monitor without speakers problem discussed earlier; that is so frequently the source of this issue. I had this problem on my computer, and periodically it reverts to that state - I am guessing when some driver gets updated

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2018, 04:49:52 am »
@roamer_1

I don't no nutting bout no bits and bytes,but maybe the Win 10 software driver was a outdated version that no longer worked properly?

@sneakypete
Dunno - I have never seen that before. Maybe a DRM layer that kicks in later or something, but normally sound is just sound, and either works or it don't..

Not that I really care. I have it working now.

That's right. Just an academic curiosity on my part. If that was on my bench, I would have to know why... But the answer is incidental and rendered moot at this point.
 :beer:

Had a similar problem with a big barn-burner I just acquired ... My first eight core, and my first water-cooled system - 32g or ram... Man, it flies!  But it loaded with no sound... Went looking and no driver, so it defaulted to HDMI. Went and got the driver and everything is fine now.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2018, 04:50:33 am »
Bigun wrote:
"Never owned an Apple product and never will."

Give the Mac a try someday.
The company may be leftist and looney, but the computers they put out remain pretty good stuff.

The OS itself doesn't seem to be too political.

Perhaps this is moreso with the iPhone and iPad. I don't use them (iOS).
I'm a "Mac OS only" guy... three decades now, going on four.

Oh Christ. Not another cultist. You guys are worse than the Moonies.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 04:51:05 am by Frank Cannon »

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2018, 05:01:58 am »
I wondef if when he "loaded" the driver for the sound card, it had the side effect of making the speakers the default audio output. reading this thread I was convinced it was the HDMI sound to monitor without speakers problem discussed earlier; that is so frequently the source of this issue. I had this problem on my computer, and periodically it reverts to that state - I am guessing when some driver gets updated

Dunno, but yep. That is a very common problem, at least in my work orders it is. That's why I thunk it nearly right off. That it had sound at all put me off driver issues. That is what makes it weird. Like I said, maybe a DRM layer comes in late, and an updated driver fixed it against his new hardware...

One of the problems with the bleeding edge, that. Winders may recognize the ID tag, but the revision is so new that it is still basically specialty.... So Win loads it with the earlier common revision, and sh*ts the bed.

That happens a lot in chipsets and vid drivers... never seen it with sound.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2018, 01:55:30 pm »
@sneakypete
Dunno - I have never seen that before. Maybe a DRM layer that kicks in later or something, but normally sound is just sound, and either works or it don't..

That's right. Just an academic curiosity on my part. If that was on my bench, I would have to know why... But the answer is incidental and rendered moot at this point.
 :beer:

Had a similar problem with a big barn-burner I just acquired ... My first eight core, and my first water-cooled system - 32g or ram... Man, it flies!  But it loaded with no sound... Went looking and no driver, so it defaulted to HDMI. Went and got the driver and everything is fine now.

@roamer_1

Sounds like the same exact problem and solution I had with mine.

Think maybe it is a problem with gaming computers,although mine barely qualifies compared to yours,or do you think that selling new desktops without all the software loaded and working is just something everyone is going to have to deal with these days?

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2018, 03:12:59 pm »
Frank Cannon wrote:
"Oh Christ. Not another cultist. You guys are worse than the Moonies."

Heh.
You're gol-dang right I am, Frank. No denying it, you nailed me cold.

If not having to tear my hair at all kinds of updates, virus threats, and numerous other disturbances makes me a cultist, well, so be it.

The times I've tried to fool with Windows left me somethin' akin to to the times that leftists-communists try to fool with logic and reality -- that is to say, bewildered and confused.

I actually started with an Apple //c in 1986. That was "pre-Mac", a command-line prompt, I could get a couple of things to run. When it was time to "move up" (soon after), I bought a Macintosh SE -- $2,200 in 1987! So yep, I joined the cult (though it wasn't called one at the time). There would be no "Windows" until some years after.

It's kinda funny -- if you had said "computers" to me in 1985, I would have replied "what the heck would I need one of them for?". And yet here I am now, retired, and tinkering and using the Mac is my main pastime. If there are any other "briefers" out there with Macs, and you're having problems, I'm the guy to ask for help.  ;)

One thing most non-Mac folks don't know about Mac OS X is that at its core, its foundation is UNIX with a "new cover" on top. Back in the late 90's when the -original- Mac OS was showing its age, Apple was trying to construct an entirely new OS (named "Copland"). That effort failed, badly. So... as an alternative... they bought Job's "NeXT" company, and the NeXTStep OS along with it (which was also UNIX-based, I think). From that evolved the earliest versions of OS X.

Lately, you'll find many Mac folks grumbling about the state of the mother company.
Apple makes the lion's share of their profits these days from "iOS" (iPhones and related stuff), NOT from the "Mac OS". if anything, they've been neglecting it, both on the software and hardware side. They haven't updated their Mac Mini since 2014, no substantial update for the Mac Pro since 2013. Apple only derives about 14% of its revenue from the Mac product line these days, it's become their forgotten child. And it shows.

So... I'm wondering if the time could come when I have to move beyond the Mac OS, to something else. I've even downloaded and tried a few Linux distributions. Seems like work.

But Windows... cue up Charlie Brown.... "arrrgggghhhhhhH!"

So, pour another one and raise your glass, Frank -- to Fishrrman, the Mac cultist!

(BTW, that's a great image -- saved it to my archives!)

Offline aligncare

« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2018, 03:28:15 pm »
Ninety five percent of computer users want to simply hit the power button and go. Steve Job understood this. That’s why buying an iPad alone freed me from the headaches of my tenth windows machine. Hundreds of hours on updates and fixes and thousands spent on programs and repairs on windows nightmares.

Thank you, sweet Apple.

Oceander

« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2018, 03:29:53 pm »
If I’m going to leave the Windows Rez., it’ll be for the pastures of Linux, not the gilded cage of Mac.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2018, 08:12:21 pm »

So... I'm wondering if the time could come when I have to move beyond the Mac OS, to something else. I've even downloaded and tried a few Linux distributions. Seems like work.

But Windows... cue up Charlie Brown.... "arrrgggghhhhhhH!"

So, pour another one and raise your glass, Frank -- to Fishrrman, the Mac cultist!

(BTW, that's a great image -- saved it to my archives!)

@Fishrrman

Hey! When the time comes,I'm your guy! Contact me and I will set you up with a smoking hot DOS 3 machine,and give you a good price on it,too!

Now,I can't guarantee I can hold on to it long once the word gets out that I have it for sale at a good price,so ya better act FAST!

Offline Blizzardnh

« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2018, 02:22:26 pm »

https://www.linuxmint.com/
1/2 hr. install .
I think people like fighting with windows.

BassWrangler

« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2018, 09:38:14 pm »
I've used both Apple and Windows computers since the start of the PC revolution (first computer was an Apple ][). There is nothing inherently more stable or less error-prone about Apple and OS-X other than what they gain from having absolute control over the hardware and a policy to abandon old hardware and a user base that upgrades to the latest stuff pretty frequently. 99.9999999% of Windows problems are actually problems with 3rd-party drivers on some hardware that doesn't even exist for the Mac. Well, I guess also a factor is that in general Apples don't come loaded with manufacturer supplied bloat-ware. THis has gotten so bad on Windows that the PCs in the Microsoft store have fresh versions of Windows installed on them, with no HP or ASUS (or whatever) bloatware - if the manufacturer puts it on there, they don't care as they just reformat the drive and reinstall Windows.

Honestly, I have had more trouble with Apple devices, due largely to their simply awful online services, than Windows over the last couple of  years. I think that's just a fluke, however. All the major OS these days are extremely stable, solid, products. A big reason for this is the pioneering work Microsoft did to capture information about OS and App crashes and communicate that over the Internet so that it could be used to find and fix bugs. Most of the big companies do this now, but Microsoft was the first, and it had an enormous impact on OS stability. OS crashes now are almost always due to bad hardware.

I'm sure the Windows haters will disagree - I don't care.

Oceander

« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2018, 09:47:02 pm »
I've used both Apple and Windows computers since the start of the PC revolution (first computer was an Apple ][). There is nothing inherently more stable or less error-prone about Apple and OS-X other than what they gain from having absolute control over the hardware and a policy to abandon old hardware and a user base that upgrades to the latest stuff pretty frequently. 99.9999999% of Windows problems are actually problems with 3rd-party drivers on some hardware that doesn't even exist for the Mac. Well, I guess also a factor is that in general Apples don't come loaded with manufacturer supplied bloat-ware. THis has gotten so bad on Windows that the PCs in the Microsoft store have fresh versions of Windows installed on them, with no HP or ASUS (or whatever) bloatware - if the manufacturer puts it on there, they don't care as they just reformat the drive and reinstall Windows.

Honestly, I have had more trouble with Apple devices, due largely to their simply awful online services, than Windows over the last couple of  years. I think that's just a fluke, however. All the major OS these days are extremely stable, solid, products. A big reason for this is the pioneering work Microsoft did to capture information about OS and App crashes and communicate that over the Internet so that it could be used to find and fix bugs. Most of the big companies do this now, but Microsoft was the first, and it had an enormous impact on OS stability. OS crashes now are almost always due to bad hardware.

I'm sure the Windows haters will disagree - I don't care.

Good points!