Author Topic: Horrific Security Flaw Affects Decade of Intel Processors  (Read 2795 times)

Offline Suppressed

Horrific Security Flaw Affects Decade of Intel Processors
« on: January 04, 2018, 03:40:43 am »
Horrific Security Flaw Affects Decade of Intel Processors
The fix requires major OS rewrites which will probably make your computer run slower.
Eric Limer;  Jan 3, 2018
http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/security/a14537256/horrific-security-flaw-affects-decades-of-intel-processors/

An extremely severe security flaw has been found to affect nearly every Intel processor made in the past decade or more, giving any hackers who might know how to exploit it access to protected information systemwide. The Register reports that programmers are rushing to make the sweeping changes necessary to protect against the vulnerability on Linux and Windows operating systems, with such fixes required on macOS as well. Even worse, you can expect these vital updates to noticeably slow down your computer.

The design flaw in Intel's x86-64 hardware—first introduced in 2004 and still in use in the lion's share of modern-day processors—allows programs without the proper permissions to access the part of an operating system known as the kernel, a low-level chunk of code that controls literally everything in your system.

[...]
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Suppressed

Re: Horrific Security Flaw Affects Decade of Intel Processors
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 03:57:02 pm »
Interesting...  note the date...

Intel's CEO Just Sold a Lot of Stock
Pay attention to these transactions.
Ashraf Eassa (TMFChipFool) Dec 19, 2017 at 5:10PM
https://www.fool.com/investing/2017/12/19/intels-ceo-just-sold-a-lot-of-stock.aspx

On Nov. 29, Brian Krzanich, the CEO of chip giant Intel (NASDAQ:INTC), reported several transactions in Intel stock in a Form 4 filing with the SEC.

Most of the transactions involved Krzanich exercising employee stock options (these options allowed Krzanich to purchase Intel shares at prices significantly below where they are currently trading) and then immediately selling those shares that he bought at a discount on the open market.

[...]

Maybe
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 12:15:03 am »
"The design flaw in Intel's x86-64 hardware—first introduced in 2004 and still in use"

Why did I just know this was coming?

For the last 6 years, since the Internet itself obsoleted my last Mac, it's been nothing but one jackass interrupting Update for Windows after another.

The last garbage truck full of MS update for my Win 10 took over 3 hours to download and install itself.

I just love paying money to be sold an Unfinished, Defective product and then be used as an unpaid Beta Tester for the maker's droids to keep kicking me in the crotch with their paycheck justifying, time card punching, endless fiddlings.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 12:16:09 am by To-Whose-Benefit? »
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 01:54:06 am »
To Whose wrote:
"For the last 6 years, since the Internet itself obsoleted my last Mac, it's been nothing but one jackass interrupting Update for Windows after another."

Well... you could always "come back" to the Mac.
They're still here, y'know. But...

...Wait for the 2018 iMacs -- they will represent a jump forward in the handling of 4k video.

Or... just possibly... an updated Mac Mini (it's been going on 4 years)!

I wouldn't recommend a 2017 MacBook Pro. Too many problems with the keyboards.
I personally coined the term "KeyGateâ„¢".
This is going to cause Apple a lot of grief in years to come...

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2018, 01:59:16 am »
To Whose wrote:
"For the last 6 years, since the Internet itself obsoleted my last Mac, it's been nothing but one jackass interrupting Update for Windows after another."

...Wait for the 2018 iMacs -- they will represent a jump forward in the handling of 4k video.

Not anymore they're not.

No reason whatsoever to spend that kind of money on a post Jobs Mac.

! No longer available
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2018, 02:05:17 am »
To Whose wrote:

Yeah go back to mac where they don't patch their vulnerabilities
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2018, 02:39:33 am »
Yeah go back to mac where they don't patch their vulnerabilities

@driftdiver

I'm a musician and I can't tell you how I detest having to use computers to record on.

Ever wonder why pop music since the end of the 80s Sucks so hard?

God but I miss Tape, where you couldn't spend Months 'Fixing It In The Mix'.

You had to be able to actually Play your instrument. Not anymore.

Today any idiot with a drum machine and whole band, instrument by instrument, emulation software can cut a Hit Recording.

You can't even keep Time? So what? Just Quantize the track. Auto time correction.

Same thing with pitch. Can't carry a tune in a bag? Pitch correction software for your Nancy Sinatra dying cat moans.

The 90s. Every band had drummers and bass players who all sounded just like each other.

Because One Engineer/Producer discovered 'The' magic box to run them through and everyone else went and Bought the magic box.

Then it's a big surprise when the Live Band doesn't actually sound like the record, or much of anything else.

There's so much software out there today that you have no idea WTF you're actually listening to.

Some of it is So good it's near impossible to know whether you're listening to a real Symphony Orchestra in a movie or One guy with a Keyboard.

In the hands of someone who knows how to Write for a Symphony, that can be a very good thing, but most movie composers don't.   And it shows in Symphonic and Synthetic scores that drone on and on and on with 'Atmospheric' EDM and such.

I miss the days of learn it first, then go in and hit Record on Tape, and they're not coming back.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 02:41:28 am by To-Whose-Benefit? »

Offline DB

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2018, 02:48:51 am »
"The design flaw in Intel's x86-64 hardware—first introduced in 2004 and still in use"

Why did I just know this was coming?

For the last 6 years, since the Internet itself obsoleted my last Mac, it's been nothing but one jackass interrupting Update for Windows after another.

The last garbage truck full of MS update for my Win 10 took over 3 hours to download and install itself.

I just love paying money to be sold an Unfinished, Defective product and then be used as an unpaid Beta Tester for the maker's droids to keep kicking me in the crotch with their paycheck justifying, time card punching, endless fiddlings.

Win 7 doesn't do that. I refuse to use Win 10.

Offline MajorClay

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2018, 03:14:38 am »
Just Great

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2018, 03:20:09 am »
Win 7 doesn't do that. I refuse to use Win 10.

Win7 doesn't do it because they've already started dropping support for it.

Offline DB

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2018, 04:47:58 am »
Win7 doesn't do it because they've already started dropping support for it.

Win 7 doesn't interrupt your work to update itself against your will. Regarding dropped support, that's not true. Win 7 support doesn't end until 2020. And when that date comes we'll see what happens. MS is making a big mistake.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2018, 11:02:31 am »
Win 7 doesn't interrupt your work to update itself against your will. Regarding dropped support, that's not true. Win 7 support doesn't end until 2020. And when that date comes we'll see what happens. MS is making a big mistake.

It's a setting on win 10.  You can change it.  Although I'm pretty sure MS modifies those settings without your approval.

MS changed their license model.  Now when you buy an OS you are paying to use it.   You don't own that version.

I'm working on moving to linux.

Offline DB

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2018, 07:05:13 pm »
It's a setting on win 10.  You can change it.  Although I'm pretty sure MS modifies those settings without your approval.

MS changed their license model.  Now when you buy an OS you are paying to use it.   You don't own that version.

No, it depends on the version of Win 10. The home version does not have a setting to control when or what is updated and you therefore have zip control. I have first hand experience. In addition it does complete OS updates when it wants to not just service packs. So it may take minutes, it may take hours once it starts. And when it does all your system settings may be wiped out, it did on the laptop I have. Right in the middle of whatever you happen to be doing.

Win 7 has NOT done that for the many years I've been using it on any of my computers. I have many. Not once.

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2018, 07:33:39 pm »

When I was using Win 8.1, 2 out of every 3 times I got 'updated', shut the machine off and then turned it on again, Some setting or another had been 'corrected' for me.