Author Topic: Obituaries for 2018  (Read 158596 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: Obituaries for 2018
« Reply #1125 on: November 08, 2018, 10:08:37 pm »
Before Love Story, it was A Man and a Woman (Un Homme et une Femme). You couldn't go anywhere in 1966 without hearing its theme, especially, at least six times a day . . .

! No longer available

. . . including by jazz legend Charlie Byrd . . .

! No longer available
I always wondered who did that song or what it was called! I heard it several times as background music on TV back in the 1990s but never could figure it out. The first song I ever recognized as being in 5/4 time (though it seems to shift now that I hear the whole thing).

Now I know.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 10:13:07 pm by jmyrlefuller »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #1126 on: November 11, 2018, 09:06:02 pm »
Douglas Rain, Stratford Festival actor and voice of HAL in 2001: A Space Odyssey, dies at 90

Douglas Rain passed away Sunday morning at the age of 90.

The actor, one of the pioneers of the Stratford Festival, is best known for his role in Stanley Kubrick’s iconic 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Rain was the voice of the sentient computer HAL.

More

Wikipedia

IMDb

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1127 on: November 11, 2018, 09:11:25 pm »
Douglas Rain, Stratford Festival actor and voice of HAL in 2001: A Space Odyssey, dies at 90

More

Wikipedia

IMDb

@Machiavelli

I can close my eyes and still hear his voice perfectly.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Applewood

« Reply #1128 on: November 11, 2018, 09:11:26 pm »
HAL gave me the willies. 

Rest in peace, Mr. Rain.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #1129 on: November 11, 2018, 09:56:34 pm »

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #1130 on: November 11, 2018, 11:16:08 pm »
I remember thinking I was so funny when I set Apple Macintosh error sound to "I'm sorry, Dave.  I'm afraid I can't do that."

Such great voice acting.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #1131 on: November 12, 2018, 12:14:17 am »
I remember thinking I was so funny when I set Apple Macintosh error sound to "I'm sorry, Dave.  I'm afraid I can't do that."

Such great voice acting.

I did that too on my old Macintosh! I miss doing that with the new computers.

RIP
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #1132 on: November 12, 2018, 12:15:52 am »
IMHO best lines from 20th century movies
“Rosebud”
“Play it Sam”
“I’m sorry, Dave, I can’t do that”
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 12:16:27 am by Freya »

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #1133 on: November 12, 2018, 02:29:35 am »
“Rosebud”
“Play it Sam”
Correction (ain't I a stinker?): If she can stand it, I can---play it!

Some other favourite lines from that century's movies:

He carries 92 credit cards, the minute anything happens to him America lights up!

I sleep in the nude. Au buffo! Winter or summer with the windows open. And because I may have to go to the potty or to the fridge in the middle of the night, and because I do not like to wear jammies which I don't own, anyway, unless you'd like to give yourself a cheap thrill or your daughter an advanced education, you'll keep your door closed. Them's my rules and regulations, how do ya like those apples?

Don't torture yourself, darling---that's my job.

Close your mouths, we are not codfish!

Heeeeeeeeeeere's Johnny!

You don't need a nickname, you need a curve ball.

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

Be proud of those wings, they're the only one you're gonna leave here with, Mayo-nnaise!

Well, I'm glad he cleared
that up, because that crowd was about to buy Amway products!

All right, I'm cooler than you are, why don't you fix your little problem and light this candle!

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #1134 on: November 12, 2018, 12:24:09 pm »
“Rosebud”
“Play it Sam”
I liked "Round up the usual suspects!" (Casablanca)
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #1135 on: November 12, 2018, 01:15:46 pm »
21st Century: Tremors 6, Cold Day In Hell

Burt Gummer's about to finish off the monster. The DARPA Spooks try to stop him so they can turn it into a bio weapon.

"You, bunch of malevolent ineptiods." He tells them just before he hits the detonator.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #1136 on: November 12, 2018, 06:49:53 pm »
R.I.P Stan Lee.  Passed away at age 95 after a long illness.

Just breaking on the news.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #1137 on: November 12, 2018, 07:45:20 pm »

Excelsior!

I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #1138 on: November 12, 2018, 07:51:55 pm »

Stan Lee, last of the Silver Age comic book authors, dies at 95

Having begun his career in 1939, Stanley Lieber entered a field that had previously been dominated by what is now DC Comics. By the early 1960s, Lee's employer, then known as Atlas Comics, decided to take aim at DC's dominance of the field. With the help of Steve Ditko (who died earlier this year) and DC defector Jack Kirby, Atlas became Marvel Comics, creating a legion of more human, realistic superheroes, set in real cities (whereas DC based their characters in vaguely fictionalized representations like Gotham and Metropolis, Marvel bluntly set much of their comics in New York City). From this boom came Spider-Man, Iron Man, the Incredible Hulk, the Fantastic Four, Ant-Man, Doctor Strange, the X-Men, and several others that formed the basis of the Avengers, Marvel's answer to DC's Justice League. Marvel's willingness to confront communists and portray them as enemies when DC ignored them was a major factor in the rapid rise in Marvel's fortunes in the 1960s.

Lee eventually transitioned into the comic book industry’s most well-known and passionate public ambassador, appearing in cameo appearances in most of Marvel's many film and television adaptations. The characters Lee co-created and developed are believed to have earned enough money to have made him a billionaire, although he attests to have never made that much money and was embroiled in legal action for much of his later life.

Lee died of a pneumonia-related ‘‘medical emergency’’ in Los Angeles the morning of November 12.

Obituary from CNN

Wikipedia

IMDB
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 12:58:11 pm by jmyrlefuller »

Offline Applewood

« Reply #1139 on: November 12, 2018, 08:49:17 pm »
From what I read Mr. Lee's last several months or longer weren't too good for him.  Lawsuits. allegations that managers and partners cheated him out of money, even accused his own daughter of abuse.  I don't know if the accusations were valid or if he had developed some kind of dementia and/or paranoia.  All in all, not a good way to go out. 

May Mr. Lee find peace in the afterlife.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #1140 on: November 12, 2018, 09:21:08 pm »
RIP MR Lee. Thanks for all the cameos on The Simpsons, Hells Kitchen, and all the other TV shows you were on in the last decade of your life. You made me laugh in those cameos.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #1141 on: November 12, 2018, 09:28:08 pm »
Can't say Stan didn't live a full life, that's for sure. Had to be a kick to see his many creations come to life on the big screen and be involved in all that.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #1142 on: November 12, 2018, 09:28:27 pm »
I liked "Round up the usual suspects!" (Casablanca)

Casablanca is my favorite movie.  Great performances and some excellent lines.  This is my other favorite scene:

! No longer available

Offline verga

« Reply #1143 on: November 13, 2018, 02:07:08 am »
Casablanca is my favorite movie.  Great performances and some excellent lines.  This is my other favorite scene:

! No longer available
Mine too.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #1144 on: November 13, 2018, 03:07:00 am »
Stan Lee, Marvel Comics' Real-Life Superhero, Dies at 95

Stan Lee, Marvel Comics' Real-Life Superhero, Dies at 95

X-Men, the Mighty Thor, Iron Man, the Fantastic Four, the Incredible Hulk, Daredevil and Ant-Man, among countless other characters, died early Monday morning at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, a family representative told The Hollywood Reporter.

Kirk Schenck, an attorney for Lee's daughter, J.C. Lee, also confirmed his death.

Lee's final few years were tumultuous. After Joan, his wife of 69 years, died in July 2017, he sued executives at POW! Entertainment — a company he founded in 2001 to develop film, TV and video game properties — for $1 billion alleging fraud, then abruptly dropped the suit weeks later. He also sued his ex-business manager and filed for a restraining order against a man who had been handling his affairs. (Lee's estate is estimated to be worth as much as $70 million.) And in June 2018, it was revealed that the Los Angeles Police Department had been investigating reports of elder abuse against him.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #1145 on: November 13, 2018, 03:17:06 am »

! No longer available
Yes! 888high58888

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #1146 on: November 13, 2018, 03:29:57 am »

I have few heroes, really, in a specific sense, but Stan Lee was one, not because he braved enemy fire or dragged people from burning buildings, but because he dared to let kids and ordinary people dream of being heroes, and that so often leads to heroes in real life.
That he stood against Communism when so many were silent in the entertainment industry (and Marvel Comics were, indeed, entertainment) just adds to his status, imho.
Besides, it was fun watching for him in cameos in the movies, too.
RIP, Mr. Lee, and thanks.

C S Lewis

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #1147 on: November 13, 2018, 04:10:22 am »
Let's not forget that Hillary was part of the fleecing of him...
from r/HillaryForPrison

https://www.reddit.com/r/HillaryForPrison/comments/5b1v1w/flashback_hillarys_scandal_with_stan_lee/

Lie down with dogs . . .

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #1148 on: November 13, 2018, 07:46:27 pm »
 Christian composer Kurt Kaiser, writer of 'Pass It On,' dies at 83
    By CARL HOOVER

Waco composer and pianist Kurt Kaiser, writer of familiar Christian songs as “Pass It On” and “Oh How He Loves You and Me,” died Monday at his Waco home after a long illness. He was 83.

Kaiser had a six-decade-long career in composing, playing, arranging and producing Christian music. His songs, found in dozens of contemporary hymnals and songbooks, are sung by millions of Christians around the world.  ...

Kaiser’s compositions number more than 300 copyrighted songs, many of which are regular fare in Sunday worship services, such as “The Lord Whom We Love,” “Pass It On,” “Oh How He Loves You And Me” and his popular arrangement of Doris Akers’ “Sweet, Sweet Spirit.” His writing and recording, with 16 solo albums to his credit, earned him a Lifetime Achievement Award from the American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers as well as election to the Gospel Music Hall of Fame.  ... More at Waco Tribune
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #1149 on: November 13, 2018, 09:53:58 pm »
I just played Pass It On in church a couple weeks ago.

I may sound like an old-school scrooge saying this, but there's just no comparison between the songs written in the 20th century and those from the 21st. It's as if Chris Tomlin showed up on the scene and everything went to crap. Now we have nonsense like "Reckless Love" by Cory Asbury... reckless theology, reckless songwriting, an all-around wreck.