Author Topic: Obituaries for 2018  (Read 158610 times)

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: Obituaries for 2018
« Reply #1100 on: October 30, 2018, 08:50:53 pm »
@Sanguine

Thanks! Now I vaguely remember hearing about some of it.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online berdie

« Reply #1101 on: October 31, 2018, 01:19:47 am »
Freddie Hart...of Easy Loving fame.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #1102 on: October 31, 2018, 02:08:48 am »
Freddie Hart...of Easy Loving fame.
During my high school days, there was a local record shop that habitually included free demo singles when you bought a record there. One of the ones I got was a demo single of Freddie Hart. The intended plug side was "Hang On to Her." It was a quiet but earnest plea of a song, he didn't overstate the lyric when he sang it, and the rhythm section sounded almost as much like a Memphis soul rhythm section as a Nashville countrypolitan one. The song went nowhere so far as I know and it was a shame. I really loved that record.

RIP Mr. Hart.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #1103 on: November 01, 2018, 12:14:00 am »
Willie McCovey died today, at 80.

A SF Giants institution. No articles to be found yet.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 12:15:41 am by skeeter »

Offline Applewood

« Reply #1104 on: November 01, 2018, 12:17:54 am »

Coming in now.   Here's one:

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/willie-mccovey-dies-at-80-giants-announce-passing-of-hall-of-fame-first-baseman/

Offline skeeter

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #1106 on: November 01, 2018, 12:53:14 am »

@EasyAce

Offline Applewood

« Reply #1107 on: November 01, 2018, 12:56:13 am »
Thanks.

Well we still have Willie Mays.

Indeed.  But Willie is getting on in years too.  So many of the truly greats are leaving us.  Before long we will be left with primadonnas like Barry Bonds.  Ugh!

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #1108 on: November 01, 2018, 12:57:43 am »
The Dodgers had a saying about McCovey: "He hits (Don) Drysdale like he owns him."

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #1109 on: November 01, 2018, 12:59:25 am »

Well we still have Willie Mays.

Mays is 87.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #1110 on: November 01, 2018, 01:15:05 am »
McCovey is one of seven to win Rookie of the Year, a league Most Valuable Player award, and an All-Star Game MVP.

The others: Willie Mays, Frank Robinson, Fred Lynn, Cal Ripken, Jr., Ichiro Suzuki, and Mike Trout. Four (McCovey, Mays, Robinson, Ripken) are Hall of Famers; two more (Ichiro and Trout) will be, and one (Lynn) might have been if not for the injuries that dogged him much of his career.

! No longer available

RIP Stretch

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #1111 on: November 01, 2018, 01:25:21 am »
Indeed.  But Willie is getting on in years too.  So many of the truly greats are leaving us.  Before long we will be left with primadonnas like Barry Bonds.  Ugh!
@Applewood
We still have, from oldest to youngest, Whitey Ford, Willie Mays, Henry Aaron, Luis Aparicio, Al Kaline, Frank Robinson, Bob Gibson, Sandy Koufax, Bill Mazeroski, Orlando Cepeda, Brooks Robinson, Juan Marichal, Gaylord Perry, Billy Williams, Lou Brock, Phil Niekro, Carl Yastrzemski, Tony Perez, Ferguson Jenkins, Joe Morgan, Steve Carlton, Tom Seaver, Rod Carew, Jim Palmer, Don Sutton, Rollie Fingers, Carlton Fisk, Nolan Ryan, Mike Schmidt, Dave Winfield, George Brett . . . among others, speaking of Hall of Famers . . .

Offline Applewood

« Reply #1112 on: November 01, 2018, 01:41:21 am »
Thanks @EasyAce   You just made me feel a lot better. 

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #1113 on: November 01, 2018, 12:42:49 pm »

I was fortunate enough to see him play.
I had heard a story that he took an aluminum bat out to practice one day.
He hit the ball so hard that the players left the field, in fear of their lives.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #1114 on: November 01, 2018, 02:42:51 pm »
I was fortunate enough to see him play.
I had heard a story that he took an aluminum bat out to practice one day.
He hit the ball so hard that the players left the field, in fear of their lives.

Same here.  He was an Astros killer.  A fond early baseball memory of mine was my childhood Astros hero Larry Dierker facing the Giants back in the late '60's.  If I remember correctly McCovey got a few hits off him, but he did strike Mays out twice.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #1115 on: November 01, 2018, 05:54:04 pm »

Offline GrouchoTex

Online mountaineer

« Reply #1117 on: November 01, 2018, 11:09:49 pm »
Wasn't his nickname "Stretch"? Saw him at a Giants-Pirates doubleheader at Forbes Field way back when.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #1118 on: November 02, 2018, 12:12:41 am »
Paul "Dr. Z" Zimmerman, minor league football player turned legendary sportswriter, dies at 86

Zimmerman, who played as an offensive lineman at Stanford University before transferring to the Ivy League Columbia University, briefly played professional football in 1963 for the Westchester (County) Crusaders of the Atlantic Coast Football League, a prominent minor league of the 1960s that provided players to the NFL. He began his career as a sportswriter writing for various newspapers in New York City, most extensively for the New York Post, where he covered the NFL and the Olympic Games. He signed with Sports Illustrated in 1979, where he wrote until his incapacitation by a series of strokes in 2008.

Zimmerman was among a class of writers (another including Hunter S. Thompson) steeped in New Journalism, which replaced the staid, stick-to-the-facts approach to writing with a narrative style strongly influenced by fiction (in Zimmerman's case, George Orwell was one of his biggest influences). Near the end of his career, he maintained an anachronistic style by typing out his stories on typewriter and sending it to the Sports Illustrated headquarters by fax. He would thoroughly analyze anything football-related, from players to sportscasters to teams, and frequently cited obscure and difficult-to-find statistics by using his VCR to record and review game film. He is credited with creating the power rankings, an early and persistent form of "clickbait" that subjectively ranks teams from best to worst.

Obituary from Pro Football Talk

Wikipedia
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #1119 on: November 02, 2018, 01:48:45 am »
Wasn't his nickname "Stretch"? Saw him at a Giants-Pirates doubleheader at Forbes Field way back when.
Yes it was. In fact, it's on his Hall of Fame plaque, as player nicknames usually are . . .

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #1120 on: November 03, 2018, 06:18:09 pm »
Fr. Robert Taft, feisty ecumenist and liturgical historian, dies at 86

John Burger
Aleteia
November 2, 2018

Jesuit who became a Byzantine priest worked to help disparate parts of the Church understand one another

Fr. Robert Francis Taft, preeminent historian of the Eastern Christian liturgy and an outspoken voice in relations between the Catholic and Orthodox Churches, died at his home in Weston, Massachusetts, November 1, at the age of 86.

Fr. Taft, who taught at a pontifical institute in Rome for several decades, is best known for his six-volume History of the Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom. Born into a family that had ties to a U.S. president and a senator from Ohio, he grew up in New England and entered the Jesuits in 1949. But he early on developed an interest in matters concerning the Eastern Catholic and Orthodox Churches and spent his entire priesthood in the Byzantine Rite.

More

Wikipedia

Member of the Taft family

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #1121 on: November 08, 2018, 03:27:47 pm »
Christopher Lehmann-Haupt, Long-Serving Times Book Critic, Dies at 84

Christopher Lehmann-Haupt, a nationally influential literary critic for The New York Times for three decades, who wrote some 4,000 reviews and essays, mostly for the daily column Books of The Times, died on Wednesday in Manhattan. He was 84.

His death, at the Milstein Hospital of NewYork-Presbyterian/Columbia, was caused by complications of a stroke, his daughter, Rachel Lehmann-Haupt, said.

In one of journalism’s most challenging jobs, Mr. Lehmann-Haupt was The Times’s senior daily book critic from 1969 to 1995, tackling two or three books a week and rendering judgments that could affect, for better or ill, literary careers as well as book sales. He was a critic until 2000.

Readers and colleagues called him a judicious, authoritative voice on fiction and a seemingly boundless array of history, biography, current events and other topics, with forays into Persian archaeology and fly fishing.

More

Wikipedia

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #1122 on: November 08, 2018, 05:14:26 pm »
Composer Francis Lai dies at 86

The French composer, with hundreds of songs to his credit, is particularly noted for his scoring of films and television shows. His best-known work in the United States was the theme to the 1970 film Love Story.

Obituary from MSN

Wikipedia

! No longer available
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #1123 on: November 08, 2018, 05:43:09 pm »
Composer Francis Lai dies at 86

The French composer, with hundreds of songs to his credit, is particularly noted for his scoring of films and television shows. His best-known work in the United States was the theme to the 1970 film Love Story.

Obituary from MSN

Wikipedia

! No longer available
Before Love Story, it was A Man and a Woman (Un Homme et une Femme). You couldn't go anywhere in 1966 without hearing its theme, especially, at least six times a day . . .

! No longer available

. . . including by jazz legend Charlie Byrd . . .

! No longer available

Online Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #1124 on: November 08, 2018, 05:54:32 pm »
Christopher Lehmann-Haupt, Long-Serving Times Book Critic, Dies at 84

More

Wikipedia

I had to read him in college for several courses. RIP.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️