Author Topic: Obituaries for 2018  (Read 158615 times)

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: Obituaries for 2018
« Reply #75 on: January 20, 2018, 06:59:07 pm »
Actually from last year but an update:

Tom Petty died of accidental overdose from mix of prescribed pain medications

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tom-petty-died-accidental-overdose-mix-prescribed-meds-article-1.3767037

Opioids are mind altering. IOW they impact judgment. He wasn't "thinking straight" when he took too much.

In their own minds, they are still okay. They feel they will know when to stop or cut back. Then they are dead.

(Elvis, Jimi, Janis didn't commit suicide. They accidentally OD'd like Petty)

In the case of heroin it is "cut"" or diluted to weaker strength as it comes down the illegal supply network of drug dealers, redealers. So the final consumer can easily be way off on the actual strength)

Also years of use and abuse, weaken heart and lungs, and the user can finally reach "too much" when deteriorating organs say enough.

Petty might have supplies legally prescribed by multiple doctors. When asked about his drugs by doctor B, maybe he lied in order to have plenty "for the road."

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #76 on: January 20, 2018, 09:53:57 pm »
Autopsy: drugs found in MLB star Roy Halladay’s system after plane crash
By Zachary T. Sampson
Published: January 19, 2018
Updated: January 19, 2018 at 08:25 PM

When former Major League Baseball pitcher Roy Halladay died in a plane crash in November, he had amphetamines, morphine and the sleep aid zolpidem in his system, according to an autopsy report.

Halladay, 40, died from blunt force trauma with drowning as a contributing factor, according to the Pinellas-Pasco Medical Examiner’s Office.  ...

The presence of those drugs alone does not mean the pilot was impaired, however. That determination has to be made by the federal agency, which has yet to release a final report.   ...   Full story
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #77 on: January 20, 2018, 09:57:44 pm »
By Zachary T. Sampson

When former Major League Baseball pitcher Roy Halladay died in a plane crash in November, he had amphetamines, morphine and the sleep aid zolpidem in his system, according to an autopsy report.

Halladay, 40, died from blunt force trauma with drowning as a contributing factor, according to the Pinellas-Pasco Medical Examiner’s Office.  ...

The presence of those drugs alone does not mean the pilot was impaired, however. That determination has to be made by the federal agency, which has yet to release a final report.   ...   Full story
Opioids impair cognition. I had a hand surgery following an auto collision in 1994. Dr. prescribed Vicodin, which I had never taken before.

As the surgical meds wore off, the Vicodin kicked in. I felt completely normal BUT my wife said I was whacked. 
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #78 on: January 20, 2018, 10:27:50 pm »
By Zachary T. Sampson

You wonder if insomnia hadn't become at least as recurring an issue for him as was the shoulder that finally forced his retirement from baseball. That was
some pretty powerful stuff in his system.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #79 on: January 23, 2018, 06:50:32 am »
Connie Sawyer Dies: Hollywood’s Oldest Working Actress Was 105

John Mejia
by Dino-Ray Ramos
January 22, 2018 2:08pm

Actress Connie Sawyer died peacefully at the age of 105 at her home at in Woodland Hills, CA. With more than 140 TV and film credits to her name, Sawyer was known as Hollywood’s oldest working actress who worked through late 2017.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 05:00:27 pm by Suppressed »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #80 on: January 23, 2018, 02:17:25 pm »
Trumpeter Hugh Masekela dies at 78

Masekela was born in apartheid South Africa and much of his career composing and performing music that was strongly influenced by that upbringing. However, in the United States, he was best known for his jazz and easy listening covers of pop tunes in the 1960s, his biggest hit being "Grazing in the Grass."

Obituary from The Guardian

Wikipedia

! No longer available
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #81 on: January 23, 2018, 11:09:42 pm »
Ursula K. Le Guin, Acclaimed for Her Fantasy Fiction, Is Dead at 88

Ursula K. Le Guin, the immensely popular author who brought literary depth and a tough-minded feminist sensibility to science fiction and fantasy with books like “The Left Hand of Darkness” and the Earthsea series, died on Monday at her home in Portland, Ore. She was 88.

More

Wikipedia

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #82 on: January 23, 2018, 11:11:46 pm »

More

Wikipedia

Oh wow. Loved her.

Ping @kevindavis @Suppressed
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #83 on: January 23, 2018, 11:14:01 pm »
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #85 on: January 24, 2018, 12:37:11 am »
Connie Sawyer Dies: Hollywood’s Oldest Working Actress Was 105

John Mejia
by Dino-Ray Ramos
January 22, 2018 2:08pm

Actress Connie Sawyer died peacefully at the age of 105 at her home at in Woodland Hills, CA. With more than 140 TV and film credits to her name, Sawyer was known as Hollywood’s oldest working actress who worked through late 2017.

Doing what you love till you die - priceless.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #86 on: January 24, 2018, 01:38:48 am »

Dang. It always hits hard when a biggie leaves us...even I'd you know they're up there in age.

Thanks, @Freya
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 01:48:26 am by Suppressed »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #87 on: January 24, 2018, 01:45:44 am »

Who???

You're joking, right?  If not, and you like s ience fiction, you might like her intro to Left Hand of Darkness, which makes some interesting points about it...

http://theliterarylink.com/leguinintro.html
+++++++++

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #88 on: January 24, 2018, 02:47:49 am »
Very interesting obit.

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #89 on: January 24, 2018, 03:56:20 pm »

More

Wikipedia

To my knowledge, I never read anything by her. However, I did watch "The Lathe of Heaven" (linked above from YouTube) when it aired on PBS in 1980, and thought it was kind of mind-bending. I have no idea how faithful the adaptation was to the book, however.
Let it burn.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #90 on: January 24, 2018, 08:23:25 pm »
To my knowledge, I never read anything by her. However, I did watch "The Lathe of Heaven" (linked above from YouTube) when it aired on PBS in 1980, and thought it was kind of mind-bending. I have no idea how faithful the adaptation was to the book, however.

I read her mother's book: “Ishi in Two Worlds”.  I had no idea the author was Le Guin's mother.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #91 on: January 27, 2018, 10:19:05 pm »
Mort Walker, whose ‘Beetle Bailey’ was a comic-page staple for decades, dies at 94

Mort Walker, whose “Beetle Bailey” comic strip followed the exploits of a lazy G.I. and his inept cohorts at the dysfunctional Camp Swampy, and whose dedication to his art form led him to found the first museum devoted to the history of cartooning, died Jan. 27 at his home in Stamford, Conn. He was 94.

Bill Morrison, president of the National Cartoonists Society, confirmed the death. The cause was pneumonia.

In contrast with the work-shirking soldier he immortalized, Mr. Walker was a man of considerable drive and ambition. He drew his daily comic strip for 68 years, longer than any other U.S. artist in the history of the medium.

Debuting in 1950, “Beetle Bailey” was distributed by King Features Syndicate and eventually reached 200 million readers in 1,800 newspapers in more than 50 countries. Beetle and company appeared in comic books, television cartoons, games and toys and were also featured in a musical with the book by Mr. Walker, as well as on a U.S. Postal Service stamp in 2010.

“Beetle Bailey” was among the first cartoons to mark a shift in the funny pages from the serial strips of the previous decade to the graphically simpler gag-a-day model that predominates today.

More at:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/mort-walker-whose-beetle-bailey-was-a-comic-page-staple-for-decades-dies-at-94/2018/01/27/bcd374ec-039e-11e8-bb03-722769454f82_story.html?utm_term=.ec3286250e80

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #92 on: January 27, 2018, 10:27:35 pm »
I still remember when Beetle Bailey was brought to television cartoons . . .

! No longer available

He also did this strip . . .

RIP Mr. Walker.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #93 on: January 28, 2018, 02:05:12 pm »
IKEA founder Ingvar Kamprad dies in Sweden at 91
 28 January 2018
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-europe-42851668
+++++++++

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #94 on: January 28, 2018, 02:26:13 pm »

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #95 on: January 28, 2018, 02:40:07 pm »
... The estate inventory filed to Swedish tax authorities in 2013 confirmed that the couple lived comfortably, but hardly in opulence. They had two cars — a 2008 Skoda and a 1993 Volvo 240. Kamprad's personal wealth was established at 750 million kronor ($113 million), a considerable amount, but far from the multibillion-dollar sums attributed to him on world's-richest lists compiled by Forbes and others.

IKEA officials have said such lists, which compared his wealth to that of Warren Buffet or Bill Gates, erroneously considered IKEA's assets as his own. IKEA is owned by foundation that Kamprad created, whose statutes require profits to be reinvested in the company or donated to charity.

The estate inventory showed that Kamprad donated more than $20 million to philanthropic causes in 2012 alone.   ...
IKEA founder Ingvar Kamprad dead at 91, company says, FOX News.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #96 on: January 28, 2018, 05:52:50 pm »
IKEA has the best Swedish meatballs

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #97 on: January 28, 2018, 08:14:42 pm »
Where else can you find lingonberry jam?

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline musiclady

« Reply #99 on: January 28, 2018, 09:42:27 pm »

IKEA has the best Swedish meatballs

Good, but not as good as mine.   :dx1:

We just bought an IKEA closet system. They make some cool and practical stuff.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.