Author Topic: Obituaries for 2018  (Read 158607 times)

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Re: Obituaries for 2018
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2018, 10:46:32 pm »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline DB

« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2018, 10:52:07 pm »
I wonder if being a vegan had anything to do with his death.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2018, 10:59:39 pm »
I wonder if being a vegan had anything to do with his death.

Or a Klingon

Online libertybele

« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2018, 01:08:54 am »
OUCH!

I wish he could have made it to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction in April. 

He'll be missed.

Indeed, very sad that he didn't make it to experience the ultimate recognition.

I think he's most famous for his flute solo in "Nights In White Satin".

! No longer available
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2018, 02:11:46 am »
I'm calling suicide for Delores O'Riordan, she already attempted suicide in 2013. Very sad and tragic, and she was a talented singer.

That was my guess, too.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2018, 03:49:19 pm »
And young. Obits on major news outlets now, still no cause of death. Strange. Sad.
She did have a history of heart trouble the past few years, and it's not unheard of to have a sudden heart attack in your mid-40s and die.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2018, 03:54:39 pm »
Tyler Hilinski, college football quarterback, commits suicide at 21

Hilinski had just taken over the starting quarterback position for the Washington State Cougars at the end of the 2017 season, a role he was expected to take over full-time in 2018. Hilinski had no known physical or mental health issues at the time of his death.

Story from ESPN.com

Wikipedia
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Applewood

« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2018, 04:05:58 pm »
Good Grief!  21 years old and no past history of depression or mental illness.  No signs either, I guess.  Or maybe they were missed or not taken seriously. 

Just hard to wrap my head around someone knocking himself off at such a young age with his whole life ahead of him and what looked like a promising football career. 

May Tyler rest in peace and may God grant comfort and strength to his loved ones.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2018, 04:25:47 pm »
She did have a history of heart trouble the past few years, and it's not unheard of to have a sudden heart attack in your mid-40s and die.

She also had canceled shows for back pain, so there's a possibility of opioids or other medications being involved in some manner.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2018, 04:05:50 am »
Comet Discoverer Thomas Bopp (1949–2018)
By: Carolyn Collins Petersen | January 12, 2018
http://www.skyandtelescope.com/astronomy-news/people-places-and-events/thomas-bopp-1949-2018/

An unassuming amateur astronomer forever linked to one of the greatest comets in modern history has passed away.

Thomas Joel Bopp, the co-discoverer of Comet Hale-Bopp, died January 5, 2018, in Phoenix, Arizona, from liver cancer. He was 68 years old.

[...]

@Freya  @kevindavis
+++++++++

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2018, 04:36:19 am »
Comet Discoverer Thomas Bopp (1949–2018)
By: Carolyn Collins Petersen | January 12, 2018
http://www.skyandtelescope.com/astronomy-news/people-places-and-events/thomas-bopp-1949-2018/

An unassuming amateur astronomer forever linked to one of the greatest comets in modern history has passed away.

Thomas Joel Bopp, the co-discoverer of Comet Hale-Bopp, died January 5, 2018, in Phoenix, Arizona, from liver cancer. He was 68 years old.

[...]

@Freya  @kevindavis

Thanks @Suppressed .

That was some show when it hit Jupiter!

RIP, Mr Bopp.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2018, 09:01:43 am »
@Suppressed , do you think they will put his ashes in space like they did with Tombaugh, Hale or Scottie?

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2018, 03:58:19 pm »
Thanks @Suppressed .

That was some show when it hit Jupiter!

RIP, Mr Bopp.

@Freya
You're thinking of Shoemaker-Levy 9.  Hale-Bopp is still out there...though it won't be back for more than 2000 years.  It was the very bright one that passed close in 1997.
+++++++++

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2018, 04:06:01 pm »
@Freya
You're thinking of Shoemaker-Levy 9.  Hale-Bopp is still out there...though it won't be back for more than 2000 years.  It was the very bright one that passed close in 1997.

Weren't they both supposed to kill us all?  And here, I bought a nice umbrella.... :shrug:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2018, 04:29:02 pm »
@Freya

Oh Hale Bopp was the one with that crazy death cult in California?

I has a blonde moment, so sorry.  :blonde:
@Suppressed

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2018, 04:39:28 pm »

Oh Hale Bopp was the one with that crazy death cult in California?

I has a blonde moment, so sorry.  :blonde:
@Suppressed

To be honest, @Freya, I always get them mixed up...and I'm not blond.

Oh, well...

+++++++++

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2018, 05:11:07 pm »
Stansfield Turner, who led major CIA reforms, dies

Stansfield A. Turner, who served as CIA director under President Jimmy Carter and oversaw reforms at the agency after the Senate uncovered CIA surveillance aimed at American citizens, has died. He was 94...

A Rhodes scholar and 33-year Navy veteran, Turner commanded NATO's forces in southern Europe from 1975 to 1977 before being chosen to direct the Central Intelligence Agency...

More

Wikipedia

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #67 on: January 20, 2018, 12:47:28 am »
Actually from last year but an update:

Tom Petty died of accidental overdose from mix of prescribed pain medications

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tom-petty-died-accidental-overdose-mix-prescribed-meds-article-1.3767037

Petty died on Oct. 2 in California — the same day he had been informed that the hip fracture he’d been living with for many months had become a full-blown break.

“It is our feeling that the pain was simply unbearable and was the cause for his over use of medication,” his wife and daughter said.

Doctors prescribed Petty a variety of medicines to cope with the pain, including fentanyl patches — a powerful drug that can cause respiratory distress and even lead to death when taken in high doses or when combined with other substances, especially alcohol.

“We feel confident that this was, as the coroner found, an unfortunate accident,” the family said.

So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #68 on: January 20, 2018, 12:53:06 am »
Of all the people who have died in the last few years (that were not family) Tom Petty's death shook me the most. I really loved his music and acting.

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #69 on: January 20, 2018, 01:00:38 am »
Of all the people who have died in the last few years (that were not family) Tom Petty's death shook me the most. I really loved his music and acting.

I liked Tom Petty's music. "Damn the Torpedoes" was one of the first albums, (actually an 8-track - and boy does that make me feel old) I bought when I got my first car which had .... an 8-track player. I wore it out along with Fleetwood Mac's Rumours and an Alman Brothers Band Greatest Hits and Little Feat Waiting For Columbus.
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #70 on: January 20, 2018, 01:22:47 am »
What I liked about Petty is that he didn't have much of a voice - he sounded like a burnt out tweaker hippie. Yet he could write unbelievable songs that weaved together perfectly with that voice and do them with such amazing diction and inflection that he probably was about the only person that could justifiably sing them.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #71 on: January 20, 2018, 02:28:25 am »
Dorothy Malone, Oscar-Winning Actress in ‘Written on the Wind’ and ‘Peyton Place’ Star, Dies at 92

Dorothy Malone, star of the big and small screen with “Written on the Wind,” “Basic Instinct” and “Peyton Place,” died on Friday morning in Dallas of natural causes. She was 92.

Working in the Golden Age of Hollywood, the striking blonde actress won an Oscar for best supporting actress for her performance in Douglas Sirk’s melodrama “Written on the Wind,” which she starred in with Rock Hudson, Lauren Bacall and Robert Stack. Among her more notable early roles was the bookshop proprietress in “The Big Sleep” opposite Humphrey Bogart.

After years of smaller roles, the Oscar helped her secure roles in larger projects like “Too Much, Too Soon,” “Man of a Thousand Faces,” and “Warlock.” She would frequently work with Hudson throughout the 1960s, as she played opposite him twice more in “The Tarnished Angels” and “The Last Sunset.”

After years in the film business, Malone waded into television with a starring role on prime-time soap opera “Peyton Place” from 1964 to 1968. She later revived her Constance MacKenzie character in TV movies based on the series, 1977’s “Murder in Peyton Place” and 1985’s “Peyton Place: The Next Generation.” She also appeared in a number of miniseries, including “Rich Man, Poor Man” and “Condominium,"

More at:

http://variety.com/2018/film/people-news/dorothy-malone-dies-dead-peyton-place-1202670315/

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #72 on: January 20, 2018, 03:42:22 am »

Same here.  Worst rock death (sadden) (to me) since Lennon.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #73 on: January 20, 2018, 03:43:27 am »
What I liked about Petty is that he didn't have much of a voice - he sounded like a burnt out tweaker hippie. Yet he could write unbelievable songs that weaved together perfectly with that voice and do them with such amazing diction and inflection that he probably was about the only person that could justifiably sing them.

Him and Neil Young.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #74 on: January 20, 2018, 06:38:55 pm »

I would have liked to hear J. Geils Band cover "Don't Do Me Like That," as originally intended.
+++++++++