Author Topic: Obituaries for 2018  (Read 158608 times)

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Re: Obituaries for 2018
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2018, 10:13:54 pm »
OUCH!

I wish he could have made it to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction in April. 

He'll be missed.

I saw the Moody Blues a few years ago. That guy was brilliant on the flute.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2018, 10:25:15 pm »
My favorite Moody Blues clip.  The boys seem to be into  Dr. Leary's concoction a bit if you ask me. :pondering:

! No longer available
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 06:24:20 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2018, 10:52:23 pm »
Glad to know he at least knew of the induction.

Outside of Rush, the Moody Blues omission to this stupid Rolling Stoned lackeyed HOF was its most heinous.

The HOF has been consistently snubbing the entire branch of Prog Rock since its creation.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2018, 03:22:46 pm »
I saw the Moody Blues a few years ago. That guy was brilliant on the flute.

I had a girlfriend who was a groupie who slept with one of them.  Never asked which, though.  (And she offed herself 19 years ago today, so I'll never know!)
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2018, 03:24:00 pm »
Motorhead ex “Fast” Eddie Clarke dead at 67
News / 3 hours ago / by Scott Munro
http://teamrock.com/news/2018-01-11/motorhead-ex-fast-eddie-clarke-dead-at-67

Former Motorhead guitarist “Fast” Eddie Clarke dies at the age of 67 after battle with pneumonia
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2018, 07:40:47 pm »

Former Motorhead guitarist “Fast” Eddie Clarke dies at the age of 67 after battle with pneumonia
Ahhhhhh, Motorhead. Also known as how Black Sabbath might have sounded if they played at 78 rpm speed.

RIP Mr. Clarke.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2018, 07:51:22 pm »

So all three of the original Motorhead lineup are gone.    I can't think of too many bands where all the members are deceased.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2018, 07:53:23 pm »
Ahhhhhh, Motorhead. Also known as how Black Sabbath might have sounded if they played at 78 rpm speed.

Then you would have saw God.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2018, 08:19:05 pm »
Then you would have saw God.
@dfwgator
Uhhhhh . . . no, I think not.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2018, 08:41:32 pm »
@dfwgator
Uhhhhh . . . no, I think not.

LOL... I think you might have missed the Cheech and Chong pun.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2018, 08:55:09 pm »
So all three of the original Motorhead lineup are gone.    I can't think of too many bands where all the members are deceased.
@dfwgator
Alas, there's the Jimi Hendrix Experience . . . the original 5 Royales (a giant in early R&B) . . . the original Skyliners upon the death
of lead vocalist Jimmy Beaumont last year . . .

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2018, 08:55:49 pm »
LOL... I think you might have missed the Cheech and Chong pun.
*laughing* I just can't see it applying to those guys. Though I admit I did like the song "Ace of Spades" . . .

Offline Applewood

« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2018, 04:40:19 pm »
Legendary college football broadcaster Keith Jackson dies at 89

Keith Jackson, the man whose voice was synonymous with college football for generations of fans, died Friday night at age 89, according to his family.

Jackson's broadcast career began at Washington State in 1952 when he called a game between Washington State and Stanford, but it was just the first of many stops for the legendary voice. During his expansive career, Jackson also called the NFL, MLB, NBA, PGA Tour golf, the Olympics, boxing, racing and even some college basketball alongside Dick Vitale. He was the first play-by-play man of Monday Night Football and was the voice of some of the United States' top Olympic moments, including calling Mark Spitz's seven and Eric Heiden's five gold medals..

But it was college football that Jackson was most known for calling as he spent 50 years in the booth covering games across the country. He's credited with giving the Rose Bowl it's "Granddaddy of Them All" nickname as well as christening Michigan Stadium with its "Big House" moniker.

More at:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/legendary-college-football-broadcaster-keith-jackson-dies-at-89/

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2018, 06:42:08 pm »
Legendary college football broadcaster Keith Jackson dies at 89

Keith Jackson, the man whose voice was synonymous with college football for generations of fans, died Friday night at age 89, according to his family.

Jackson's broadcast career began at Washington State in 1952 when he called a game between Washington State and Stanford, but it was just the first of many stops for the legendary voice. During his expansive career, Jackson also called the NFL, MLB, NBA, PGA Tour golf, the Olympics, boxing, racing and even some college basketball alongside Dick Vitale. He was the first play-by-play man of Monday Night Football and was the voice of some of the United States' top Olympic moments, including calling Mark Spitz's seven and Eric Heiden's five gold medals..

But it was college football that Jackson was most known for calling as he spent 50 years in the booth covering games across the country. He's credited with giving the Rose Bowl it's "Granddaddy of Them All" nickname as well as christening Michigan Stadium with its "Big House" moniker.

More at:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/legendary-college-football-broadcaster-keith-jackson-dies-at-89/

Keith Jackson also got tapped to introduce . . .

! No longer available

Offline Applewood

« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2018, 07:30:15 pm »
@EasyAce

One legend introducing 2 others.   I never knew.  Wow!

Thanks.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2018, 10:15:18 pm »
John Tunney, ex-US senator from California, dies at 83

Andrew Dalton
AP via The Mercury News
January 12, 2018

John V. Tunney, whose successful campaign for a California seat in the U.S. Senate became the basis for the 1972 Robert Redford film “The Candidate,” has died. He was 83.

Tunney died of prostate cancer Friday at a home in the Brentwood section of Los Angeles, his brother, Jay Tunney, told The Associated Press.

Tunney was among the youngest people elected to the U.S. Senate in the past century when he won his seat in 1970 at age 36. He then became one of the youngest in recent history to lose a Senate seat when he was defeated after just one term...

Tunney was born in New York the son of Connecticut socialite Polly Lauder Tunney and boxer Gene Tunney, the 1920s heavyweight champion whose two victories over Jack Dempsey were among the most renowned fights of the 20th century...

More

Wikipedia

Although John Tunney was a Democrat, his father Gene Tunney was a Republican.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 10:16:35 pm by Machiavelli »

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2018, 10:38:52 pm »
@EasyAce

One legend introducing 2 others.   I never knew.  Wow!

Thanks.
@Applewood
In the early television years, when you heard voice-overs on the television production logos, Keith Jackson was the voice of . . .

! No longer available

Four Star was the production company started by Dick Powell, David Niven, Charles Boyer, and Joel McCrea. McCrea backed out of the project to continue his film career,
and Ida Lupino replaced him. June Allyson, Powell's wife, held some stock in the company. It began because Powell had the itch to produce and direct; the company grew
out of a series he created called Four Star Playhouse. The studio's best remembered series beside that are probably The Rogues, Zane Gray Theater, Richard Diamond
Private Detective
[Powell played the title character in its original radio version], Law of the Plainsman, Burke's Law, and Honey West [a spy series starring Anne Francis in
the title role]. Powell's death of stomach cancer in 1963 meant the end for Four Star; without him and his guidance, the studio would never be the same. Before long it became
a top syndicator for a good many years but produced no new series; eventually, it was folded into New World Entertainment. When NWE was sold to Fox, Fox became the
owners of the old Four Star program inventory. Four Star also once owned Valiant Records, whose most successful act was the Association, before selling the label to
Warner Brothers in 1966.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2018, 05:22:01 pm »
Dolores O'Riordan- Cranberries singer dies aged 46

https://news.sky.com/story/dolores-oriordan-cranberries-singer-dies-aged-46-11209368

No cause of death - breaking

I really liked this group
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 05:22:33 pm by Freya »

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2018, 05:27:59 pm »

https://news.sky.com/story/dolores-oriordan-cranberries-singer-dies-aged-46-11209368

Wow, me too.   Terrible.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2018, 05:34:23 pm »
Wow, me too.   Terrible.

And young. Obits on major news outlets now, still no cause of death. Strange. Sad.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2018, 06:18:03 pm »
Hall of Fame umpire Doug Harvey dies at 87

Players called him God. Don Sutton once tried to sue him and the National League for "depriving him of his livelihood" after Harvey
ejected him for throwing doctored baseballs. (The league's then-milquetoast president Chub Feeney never imposed the mandatory
ten-game suspension.)

I remember Harvey calling balls and strikes for what proved Sandy Koufax's final major league win---on the final day of the regular
1966 season, when Koufax was forced to pitch the nightcap of a doubleheader on short rest (two days') to clinch a pennant
after Don Drysdale fell in the hole in the first game and was lifted after two innings. Koufax prevailed---even though he had to be
stretched in the clubhouse to get a slipped disc put back into place (one of the men who stretched him: former Dodger Don Newcombe,
who was no shrinking violet) midway through---and Harvey would remember the game this way: He threw seven and two thirds
innings with nothing but a fastball. And they knew what was coming. And he still won the game for them, and the pennant. It was
the greatest exhibition of baseball I've ever seen in my life

In one of Harvey's earliest games, Stan Musial was batting when Harvey called a strike three anticipating the pitch's arrival---but it
brokie wide of the plate. Musial didn't flinch. He simply called for his glove from a bat boy and, without turning, told Harvey, "Young
fellow, I don't know which league you came from, but we use the same plate. It's 17 inches wide." Said Harvey remembering that
incident, "That's when I realised why they called him Stan the Man, and I learned not to anticipate the call. That's my gift to baseball
. . . Before, the umpires were always told, 'Be quick! Be decisive!'"

RIP Mr. Harvey.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 07:29:52 pm by EasyAce »

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2018, 10:12:58 pm »

! No longer available

DREAMS...
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline musiclady

« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2018, 12:24:04 am »
8888crybaby  Sorry to hear about Jerry VanDyke.  He sometimes appeared in his brother's old show playing, of course, Rob Petrie's brother. 

MY favorite role of Jerry VanDyke's was as Luther in Coach.  He and Craig T. Nelson played off one another very well.

Rest in peace, Mr. VanDyke.

One of the funniest things ever on the Dick Van Dyke show was when Jerry played his banjo, sang and tapped his feet off rhythm.

Always made me laugh hysterically!
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2018, 02:54:32 pm »
I'm calling suicide for Delores O'Riordan, she already attempted suicide in 2013. Very sad and tragic, and she was a talented singer.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2018, 04:51:49 pm »
I'm calling suicide for Delores O'Riordan, she already attempted suicide in 2013. Very sad and tragic, and she was a talented singer.

You might be right @Weird Tolkienish Figure but I hope you are wrong, you know?