Author Topic: Obituaries for 2018  (Read 158605 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Obituaries for 2018
« on: January 02, 2018, 12:14:02 am »
The Briefing Room's annual running thread for deaths in calendar year 2018.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Obituaries for 2018
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 02:53:00 am »
Marker so I get new posts on my Updated screen....

(And thanks for taking the thread again, @jmyrlefuller)
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 06:53:54 pm »
Producer Rick Hall, 'Father of Muscle Shoals Music,' Dead at 85
Fame Studios founder launched career of Aretha Franklin, published and recorded numerous R&B, pop and country songs
By Stephen L. Betts

Legendary record producer and Fame studio owner Rick Hall, the man regarded as the "Father of Muscle Shoals Music," died early Tuesday morning, according to the Alabama Music Hall of Fame. Reportedly in declining health in recent months, Hall was 85.

Hall's Grammy-winning production touched nearly every genre of popular music from country to R&B, and his Fame Studio and publishing company were a breeding ground for future legends in the worlds of songwriting and session work, as well as a recording home to some of the greatest musicians and recording artists of all time, including Aretha Franklin, Etta James, Wilson Pickett and many more. To date, the studio and its publishing company have been responsible for an estimated 350 million record sales, with songs by everyone from the Beatles to George Strait . . .

For me it's the classic soul music that came out of his studio that matters the most . . .

! No longer available

! No longer available

! No longer available

! No longer available

! No longer available

RIP Mr. Hall . . .

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 06:56:21 pm »
There was some fine music that came out of that place.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 07:48:17 pm »
Bookmarking...
Let it burn.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 07:57:30 pm »
One of my personal favourites cut at Fame Studios . . . with Duane Allman (working then as a session regular
at Fame) on slide guitar . . .

Clarence Carter, "The Road of Love"

! No longer available

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 05:15:04 pm »
Thomas S. Monson, Mormon church president, dead at 90

CBS/AP
January 3, 2018

Thomas S. Monson, the president of the Mormon church -- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- died late Tuesday at the age of 90, the church announced...

A church bishop at the age of 22, the Salt Lake City native became the youngest church apostle ever in 1963 at the age of 36. He served as a counselor for three church presidents before assuming the role of the top leader of the church in February 2008.

Monson's job is expected to go to next longest-tenured member of the church's governing Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, Russell M. Nelson, per church protocol...

Full article

The expected successor, Russell M. Nelson, is 93 years old.

Offline verga

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2018, 03:25:04 am »
Marker
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline corbe

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2018, 05:39:52 am »
    Thanks for doing this again @jmyrlefuller and thanks for the Clarence Carter too, @EasyAce (*still on)
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2018, 04:44:07 pm »
K-9 Piper, Wildlife Control at Cherry Capital Airport
https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2018/01/04/traverse-city-airport-dog-piper/1003104001/

"Friends, . It is with the ultimate sadness I must report the passing of my best friend and love of my life. . Piper passed away tonight peacefully in my arms after fighting a year-long battle with prostate cancer. He fought valiantly, and we did everything we could, but sometimes life just has to take its course. . Today, Piper enjoyed a pain-free day, filled with love from family and friends, mostly his fellow airport employees. He played soccer, got some much deserved butt scratches and yes, he chased away one last snowy owl as he sailed into the night. . As I hope was plainly evident, we are grateful. Grateful to have done what we loved for three years and had a whole hell of a lot of fun doing it.

Mostly though, we're grateful for all of your support. It's what's really helped us through the dark days. . As we leave you tonight, know that Piper is in a better place. I only ask for your patience as I take time to tend to my shattered heart. . Lastly, as a final act of true class, the flag you see here flew today at @uscg Air Station Traverse City and was taken down, folded and presented to us and a token of their love. Please join me in thanking the men and women, past and present, of Air Station Traverse City for their awesomeness.

Piper and I are forever in your debt. . With love, . Brian & Piper"

K-9 Piper became world famous in February 2016, keeping the runways clear for air traffic, including Coast Guard business.  His webpage is a must-see:  http://www.airportk9.org/

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline verga

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2018, 08:42:55 pm »
Sad to read this.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2018, 07:03:35 pm »
Jerry van Dyke, comic actor, dies at 86

While Van Dyke, the younger brother of comic leading man Dick Van Dyke, only sporadically received top billing in any of his productions (one of the few notable examples being My Mother the Car the oft-maligned—and, in this man's opinion, unjustly so; I've seen bits and pieces and it wasn't THAT bad of a show—1960s sitcom), he enjoyed a long career as a stand-up comic and as a supporting actor in sitcoms from the 1960s until shortly before his death, including his repeatedly Emmy-nominated (but never award-winning) role of Luther Van Dam in the early-90s sitcom Coach. In his later years, he was typecast as a "fun grandpa," an older version of the roles he had taken most of his life.

Van Dyke had been in an automobile accident in 2016 and had been in declining health since then, although he was still mobile up until near the end of his life.

Obituary from TMZ

Wikipedia

IMDB
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2018, 07:34:48 pm »
Astronaut John Young, Who Walked on the Moon and Led 1st Shuttle Mission, Dies at 87
By Robert Z. Pearlman, collectSPACE.com Editor | January 6, 2018 01:07pm ET
https://www.space.com/39307-astronaut-john-young-moonwalker-shuttle-commander-obituary.html

John Young, seen here training for NASA’s Apollo 16 moon landing mission in December 1971, died on Friday, Jan. 5, 2018 at the age of 87. Credit: NASA

John Young, NASA's longest-serving astronaut, who walked on the moon and flew on the first Gemini and space shuttle missions, has died.

The first person to fly six times into space — seven, if you count his launch off of the moon in 1972 — and the only astronaut to command four different types of spacecraft, Young died on Friday (Jan. 5) following complications from pneumonia.. He was 87.

[...]
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 07:35:19 pm by Suppressed »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2018, 07:59:24 pm »
Astronaut John Young, Who Walked on the Moon and Led 1st Shuttle Mission, Dies at 87
By Robert Z. Pearlman, collectSPACE.com Editor | January 6, 2018 01:07pm ET
https://www.space.com/39307-astronaut-john-young-moonwalker-shuttle-commander-obituary.html

John Young, seen here training for NASA’s Apollo 16 moon landing mission in December 1971, died on Friday, Jan. 5, 2018 at the age of 87. Credit: NASA

John Young, NASA's longest-serving astronaut, who walked on the moon and flew on the first Gemini and space shuttle missions, has died.

The first person to fly six times into space — seven, if you count his launch off of the moon in 1972 — and the only astronaut to command four different types of spacecraft, Young died on Friday (Jan. 5) following complications from pneumonia.. He was 87.

[...]

Safe journey home, Captain.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2018, 08:53:45 pm »
 8888crybaby  Sorry to hear about Jerry VanDyke.  He sometimes appeared in his brother's old show playing, of course, Rob Petrie's brother. 

MY favorite role of Jerry VanDyke's was as Luther in Coach.  He and Craig T. Nelson played off one another very well.

Rest in peace, Mr. VanDyke.

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2018, 09:40:02 pm »
8888crybaby  Sorry to hear about Jerry VanDyke.  He sometimes appeared in his brother's old show playing, of course, Rob Petrie's brother. 

MY favorite role of Jerry VanDyke's was as Luther in Coach.  He and Craig T. Nelson played off one another very well.

Rest in peace, Mr. VanDyke.

Couch was a very funny show and Jerry VanDyke's Luther character was a stand out among many on that show.
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2018, 12:53:00 am »
RIP Stacy Petrie . . .

The Dick Van Dyke Show, "I Am My Brother's Keeper" (Part One)
! No longer available

The Dick Van Dyke Show, "The Sleeping Brother" (Part Two)
! No longer available
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 12:53:42 am by EasyAce »

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2018, 01:08:28 am »
RIP Stacy Petrie . . .

The Dick Van Dyke Show, "I Am My Brother's Keeper" (Part One)

The Dick Van Dyke Show, "The Sleeping Brother" (Part Two)

You bet, Herbert!!
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2018, 01:12:36 am »

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2018, 01:26:00 am »
Fixed! ;)

LOL!  Correct as always, EA!!
I will NOT comply.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2018, 02:01:35 am »
LOL!  Correct as always, EA!!
Danke, Mr. Burford! ;)

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2018, 09:10:30 pm »
RIP Ray Thomas, flautist/songwriter with the Moody Blues . . .

MOODY BLUES' RAY THOMAS DIES AT 76

. . . this is still my favourite song written and sung by Ray Thomas . . .

! No longer available

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2018, 05:42:44 pm »
RIP Ray Thomas, flautist/songwriter with the Moody Blues . . .

MOODY BLUES' RAY THOMAS DIES AT 76

OUCH!

I wish he could have made it to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction in April. 

He'll be missed.
+++++++++

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2018, 08:24:13 pm »
Greta Thyssen, Danish actress.

Actress, Model, Cary Grant's Former Love Interest Dies After Battling Pneumonia

By Serena Carter

On Wednesday, sad news emerged about a famous film star from the '50s and ‘60s. Danish actress Greta Thyssen passed away in her Manhattan apartment on Sunday night.

http://www.faithfamilyamerica.com/actress_model_cary_grant_s_former_love_interest_dies_after_battling_pneumonia

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/greta-thyssen-dead-marilyn-monroe-double-three-stooges-star-was-90-1073424
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 08:24:50 pm by TomSea »

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2018, 10:12:26 pm »
K-9 Piper, Wildlife Control at Cherry Capital Airport
https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2018/01/04/traverse-city-airport-dog-piper/1003104001/

"Friends, . It is with the ultimate sadness I must report the passing of my best friend and love of my life. . Piper passed away tonight peacefully in my arms after fighting a year-long battle with prostate cancer. He fought valiantly, and we did everything we could, but sometimes life just has to take its course. . Today, Piper enjoyed a pain-free day, filled with love from family and friends, mostly his fellow airport employees. He played soccer, got some much deserved butt scratches and yes, he chased away one last snowy owl as he sailed into the night. . As I hope was plainly evident, we are grateful. Grateful to have done what we loved for three years and had a whole hell of a lot of fun doing it.

Mostly though, we're grateful for all of your support. It's what's really helped us through the dark days. . As we leave you tonight, know that Piper is in a better place. I only ask for your patience as I take time to tend to my shattered heart. . Lastly, as a final act of true class, the flag you see here flew today at @uscg Air Station Traverse City and was taken down, folded and presented to us and a token of their love. Please join me in thanking the men and women, past and present, of Air Station Traverse City for their awesomeness.

Piper and I are forever in your debt. . With love, . Brian & Piper"

K-9 Piper became world famous in February 2016, keeping the runways clear for air traffic, including Coast Guard business.  His webpage is a must-see:  http://www.airportk9.org/

Dang! What a wonderful doggy!
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️