Author Topic: Obituaries for 2018  (Read 159520 times)

Offline mountaineer

Re: Obituaries for 2018
« Reply #150 on: February 05, 2018, 11:57:20 pm »
He was a good actor and I always enjoyed his performances. I didn't know he was sick. As for his private life, I didn't think his homosexuality was a secret.  :shrug:

I saw him a few other things, but as Martin Crane, he was exquisite.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 12:16:36 am by mountaineer »
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Applewood

« Reply #151 on: February 06, 2018, 12:02:16 am »
What a shock!  I was just watching Frasier reruns on Netflix earlier this afternoon.  Mahoney's performance as the irascible beer drinking father having to contend with his pompous, sherry drinking sons was just perfect. 

I read somewhere that contrary to his character in Frasier, Mahoney was very refined.   In fact,  David Hyde Pierce consulted with him about fine wine in preparation for his role as Niles.

Rest in peace, John Mahoney.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #152 on: February 06, 2018, 12:18:19 am »
Great versatile actor. He could play the loveable and funny retiree like in Frazier to characters so evil you wouldn't lose sleep over pushing them out a helicopter.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #153 on: February 06, 2018, 12:22:50 am »
One of my favorite John Mahoney performances outside of Frasier -- Moonstruck:

! No longer available

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #154 on: February 06, 2018, 01:27:31 am »
John Mahoney also did well playing Kid Gleason, the manager of the 1919 Chicago White Sox, in Eight Men Out . . .

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #155 on: February 06, 2018, 02:20:25 am »
Great versatile actor. He could play the loveable and funny retiree like in Frazier to characters so evil you wouldn't lose sleep over pushing them out a helicopter.

Agree ...

And this is very sad.  RIP, John and thanks for the memories.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #156 on: February 06, 2018, 09:32:00 pm »
Not sure where to put this, but since Dennis Edwards' death was reported here, I thought this might be the place. 

Interesting.  And if true, tragic. 

Temptations singer Dennis Edwards allegedly abused before his death

Chicago police are investigating claims that the wife of Temptations singer Dennis Edwards abused the legendary vocalist in the months before his death.

A protection order request against Brenda Edwards alleging domestic abuse was reportedly filed weeks before Dennis died Feb. 1 at 74 of complications from meningitis.

Brenda allegedly tried to suffocate her husband of nearly two decades by holding his head face down on a bed, according to documents obtained by the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

She also reportedly took her husband's hearing aids away from him while he was "bed bound and immobile," according to the protection request, reportedly filed by an investigator with the Healthcare Consortium of Illinois.

Read more at:

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music/temptations-singer-dennis-edwards-allegedly-abused-death-article-1.3803117

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #157 on: February 06, 2018, 10:07:49 pm »
RIP, Mr. Mahoney. Loved you in Frasier and Moonstruck.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #158 on: February 06, 2018, 10:13:32 pm »

Absolutely right.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #159 on: February 06, 2018, 11:01:49 pm »
Not sure where to put this, but since Dennis Edwards' death was reported here, I thought this might be the place. 

Chicago police are investigating claims that the wife of Temptations singer Dennis Edwards abused the legendary vocalist in the months before his death.

A protection order request against Brenda Edwards alleging domestic abuse was reportedly filed weeks before Dennis died Feb. 1 at 74 of complications from meningitis.

Brenda allegedly tried to suffocate her husband of nearly two decades by holding his head face down on a bed, according to documents obtained by the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

She also reportedly took her husband's hearing aids away from him while he was "bed bound and immobile," according to the protection request, reportedly filed by an investigator with the Healthcare Consortium of Illinois.

Read more at:

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music/temptations-singer-dennis-edwards-allegedly-abused-death-article-1.3803117

Oh, that's ugly.   **nononono*
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #160 on: February 06, 2018, 11:04:26 pm »

Read more at:

Give her the Chair.

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #161 on: February 07, 2018, 09:45:09 pm »
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #162 on: February 08, 2018, 12:01:53 am »
Lyricist-turned-activist John Perry Barlow dies at 70

Barlow, a songwriting partner with the Grateful Dead's Bob Weir from the 1970s through the early 1990s, is best known as a co-founder of the Electronic Frontier Foundation, which advocated for a free and open Internet, a passion that Barlow carried throughout his last three decades of life. He died in his sleep Tuesday night (while no cause of death was given, he had previously suffered at least one previous heart attack three years prior and was battling numerous illnesses near the end of his life).

Death notice from the EFF

Wikipedia
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 12:02:32 am by jmyrlefuller »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #163 on: February 08, 2018, 05:42:37 pm »
Lyricist-turned-activist John Perry Barlow dies at 70

Barlow, a songwriting partner with the Grateful Dead's Bob Weir from the 1970s through the early 1990s, is best known as a co-founder of the Electronic Frontier Foundation, which advocated for a free and open Internet, a passion that Barlow carried throughout his last three decades of life. He died in his sleep Tuesday night (while no cause of death was given, he had previously suffered at least one previous heart attack three years prior and was battling numerous illnesses near the end of his life).

Death notice from the EFF

Wikipedia

I didn't know what he did later in life, but I knew a lot of his work, as Bob Weir's main songwriter.
He also had a ranch, and one of the Kennedy kids was sent west out there to get their head straightened out, several years ago.
I can't remember which one now, but it was a Nightline story, if I remember correctly.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #164 on: February 10, 2018, 01:49:48 am »
Actor Reg E. Cathey dies at 59

Cathey had several supporting roles throughout his career on television series such as Homicide: Life on the Street, The Wire, Oz and House of Cards, the last of which netted him an Emmy Award in 2015. Cathey died of lung cancer February 9.

Obituary from Variety

Wikipedia

IMDB

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #165 on: February 10, 2018, 02:14:52 am »
Actor Reg E. Cathey dies at 59

Cathey had several supporting roles throughout his career on television series such as Homicide: Life on the Street, The Wire, Oz and House of Cards, the last of which netted him an Emmy Award in 2015. Cathey died of lung cancer February 9.

Obituary from Variety

Wikipedia

IMDB

I thought he was amazing in "House of Cards" and "Oz"

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #166 on: February 10, 2018, 04:12:47 am »
Reg was great as Freddy.

"You a m*****f*****, Mr. President!"

Who hasn't wanted to say that in the Oval on a few occasions?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 08:05:56 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #167 on: February 10, 2018, 07:29:49 pm »
Jóhann Jóhannsson Dies: ‘The Theory Of Everything’ Composer Was 48
by Greg Evans
February 10, 2018 9:17am
http://deadline.com/2018/02/johann-johannsson-dies-obituary-the-theory-of-everything-composer-1202284591/

Composer Jóhann Jóhannsson, Academy Award-nominated and Golden Globe-winning Icelandic composer, musician and producer, died in Berlin yesterday. He was 48, and a cause of death was not immediately known.

[...]
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #168 on: February 11, 2018, 11:01:41 pm »
Genuine Hollywood royalty as sadly passed......

Mark Tenser, President of Crown International Pictures, Dies

http://variety.com/2018/film/obituaries-people-news/mark-tenser-crown-international-pictures-ceo-dead-dies-1202657371/

Mark Tenser, president and CEO of Crown International Pictures, died on Jan. 1.

Tenser became Crown’s executive VP in 1969 before he was promoted to president in 1973.  At the production company, he was known for producing low-budget films that appealed to teen audiences in the 1970s and ’80s. Tenser worked alongside his wife, Marilyn Tenser, for four decades. He was still running the company at the time of his death.

His work creating films like “The Pom Pom Girls” (which was produced for less than $1 million, and earned more than four times that amount), “My Tutor,” “Weekend Pass,” and “Tomboy” helped make Crown a powerhouse of the era.

Other producing credits included “Coach” and “The Hearse.” He also led ad campaigns on pictures such as “Malibu Beach,” “The Van,” and “Van Nuys Blvd.”

Tenser was born in New York and grew up in New Jersey before attending school at the University of Miami in Florida. He graduated with a degree in business administration, then moved to California, where he started working in sales with his father. He began at Crown as a distribution manager before moving up to be the executive VP.

Offline verga

« Reply #169 on: February 12, 2018, 03:21:24 pm »
Singer Daryle Singletary has died. The '90s country hitmaker was known for songs like "I Let Her Lie" and "Too Much Fun."
News of Singletary's death started to be spread on social media Monday morning with confirmation coming via SiriusXM's The Highway. The Georgia native was just 46 years at the time of his death. An additional source tells the Boot that Singletary had a blood clot and died at his home.
Singletary played concerts as recently as last weekend in Dadeville, Ala. and at Cowboy's Night Club in Lafayette, La. He also appeared at singer Mel Tillis' public memorial on Jan. 31. No news of Singletary's death has come on his official social media pages and his website appears to be down.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #170 on: February 12, 2018, 03:31:34 pm »

Offline Applewood

« Reply #171 on: February 12, 2018, 03:52:04 pm »
More on Vic Damone here:

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2018/02/12/legendary-singer-vic-damone-dies-at-age-89.html

He was a wonderful singer from the era of the big bands.  My mother had some of his albums.  She might have had a crush on him.  LOL

Rest in peace, Mr. Damone.

@Freya    Thank you.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 03:52:44 pm by Applewood »

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #172 on: February 12, 2018, 04:04:20 pm »
Hearing that Damone died made me immediately think of this one......

Generational thing, I guess...... :shrug:
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #173 on: February 12, 2018, 04:50:21 pm »
Singer Daryle Singletary has died. The '90s country hitmaker was known for songs like "I Let Her Lie" and "Too Much Fun."
News of Singletary's death started to be spread on social media Monday morning with confirmation coming via SiriusXM's The Highway. The Georgia native was just 46 years at the time of his death. An additional source tells the Boot that Singletary had a blood clot and died at his home.
Singletary played concerts as recently as last weekend in Dadeville, Ala. and at Cowboy's Night Club in Lafayette, La. He also appeared at singer Mel Tillis' public memorial on Jan. 31. No news of Singletary's death has come on his official social media pages and his website appears to be down.

! No longer available

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #174 on: February 12, 2018, 06:31:17 pm »

"Blood clot" is being reported.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn