Author Topic: Obituaries for 2018  (Read 159574 times)

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Re: Obituaries for 2018
« Reply #1250 on: December 16, 2018, 10:18:07 pm »
Yes @Freya   Sandra Locke dated Clint Eastwood for quite a while.

She was 74.

@Right_in_Virginia I read from the bottom up. Never did that on a thread  before.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #1251 on: December 18, 2018, 07:04:56 pm »
Penny Marshall from “Laverne and Shirley” and “The Odd Couple” fame has died at 75. Breaking.

Obit to follow.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #1252 on: December 18, 2018, 07:05:30 pm »
R.I.P. Penny Marshall.  She passed away due to complications from diabetes.  She was 75.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #1253 on: December 18, 2018, 07:06:08 pm »
Penny Marshall, actress and director, dies at 75

Marshall was born and raised in an Italian family in the Bronx (her family name was originally Masciarelli), the younger sister of Garry Marshall, who later became a prominent producer and director. Her early life was not particularly prominent, attending college for math in New Mexico, eventually getting involved in a brief shotgun wedding, and getting a few gigs as a character actress (at one point playing a frump in a before-and-after shot for shampoo that featured Farrah Fawcett as the "after").

Her brother helped secure the struggling actress work in Hollywood in the 1970s, during which time she got a part as a secretary on one of Garry's shows, The Odd Couple. From there came a few bit parts and her first starring role, the short-lived Friends and Lovers. By 1976, Garry had created a new show for his sister, a buddy comedy set in the same fictional universe as his hit sitcom Happy Days and based on physical comedy. The show, Laverne & Shirley, became a massive hit and a rerun staple for decades, running eight seasons, with Penny playing Laverne.

She was able to parlay her fame into a career following Garry's path as a director. She became one of Hollywood's most successful female directors in the process, directing Big and A League of Their Own, two major hit films of the late 1980s and 1990s.

After a few bit parts in the 1990s, including as a spokeswoman for Kmart, she began experiencing several health problems; she was diagnosed with cancer in 2009, which in turn caused a chain reaction and resulted in diabetes, the complications of which are said to have caused her death.

Aside from her college beau, she was married to Rob Reiner through most of the 1970s and dated Art Garfunkel after that.

Death notice from TMZ

Wikipedia

IMDB
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #1254 on: December 18, 2018, 08:27:19 pm »
RIP Penny Marshall. I still think this is your masterpiece as a director . . .

Sorry...

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #1255 on: December 18, 2018, 08:53:53 pm »
Penny Marshall, actress and director, dies at 75

Marshall was born and raised in an Italian family in the Bronx (her family name was originally Masciarelli), the younger sister of Garry Marshall, who later became a prominent producer and director. Her early life was not particularly prominent, attending college for math in New Mexico, eventually getting involved in a brief shotgun wedding, and getting a few gigs as a character actress (at one point playing a frump in a before-and-after shot for shampoo that featured Farrah Fawcett as the "after").

Her brother helped secure the struggling actress work in Hollywood in the 1970s, during which time she got a part as a secretary on one of Garry's shows, The Odd Couple. From there came a few bit parts and her first starring role, the short-lived Friends and Lovers. By 1976, Garry had created a new show for his sister, a buddy comedy set in the same fictional universe as his hit sitcom Happy Days and based on physical comedy. The show, Laverne & Shirley, became a massive hit and a rerun staple for decades, running eight seasons, with Penny playing Laverne.

She was able to parlay her fame into a career following Garry's path as a director. She became one of Hollywood's most successful female directors in the process, directing Big and A League of Their Own, two major hit films of the late 1980s and 1990s.

After a few bit parts in the 1990s, including as a spokeswoman for Kmart, she began experiencing several health problems; she was diagnosed with cancer in 2009, which in turn caused a chain reaction and resulted in diabetes, the complications of which are said to have caused her death.

Aside from her college beau, she was married to Rob Reiner through most of the 1970s and dated Art Garfunkel after that.

Death notice from TMZ

Wikipedia

IMDB

That was right.. She was married to meathead.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline verga

« Reply #1256 on: December 19, 2018, 02:57:05 pm »

Sorry...
She also directed "Get Shorty". Drop dead funny movie, no pun intended.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #1257 on: December 19, 2018, 03:57:46 pm »

Sorry...

Hilarious scene.  It was just on TV last week, and it always amuses.

"There's no crying in baseball!" is another classic from that movie.  I use it all the time in variations.

Penny also directed Awakenings, which is, for me, one of the most poignant movies ever made.  Since Oliver Sacks (Robin Williams' part's actual name) was primarily a music therapist, the dancing scene is the best of the best.

RIP Penny!

Edited to add a link to the scene where dancing stills Parkinsonian symptoms........ as it has been documented to do, and was in Oliver Sack's book, Musicophilia

Sorry...
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 07:08:36 pm by musiclady »
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #1258 on: December 19, 2018, 06:09:50 pm »
Hilarious scene.  It was just on TV last week, and it always amuses.

"There's no crying in baseball!" is another classic from that movie.  I use it all the time in variations.
@musiclady
She made a great film that still played a little loose with a few facts about the AAGPBL---including that yes, the Racine Belles did win the league's first World Series . . . but the Rockford Peaches weren't their victims. The Belles beat the Kenosha Comets in that first Series. In the real life of the league, the Peaches did prove the Biblical axiom about the last becoming the first: they finished dead last in the original four-team league but became the Yankees of the league soon enough---they won the most league championships of any of the AAGPBL franchises, four. (1945, 1948-50.)

I unearthed those and more when writing in 2013 after the death of Pepper Paire-Davis, including that the Peaches really were the most theatrical players in the league . . . but if Madonna's All-the-Way-Mae Mordabito had caught that fly ball sliding and with her cap in the real league, the batter would have been ruled safe: the league had a rule against catching a ball with anything other than your glove or your hand. The Tom Hanks character, Jimmy Dugan, was an apparent stand-in for actual Hall of Fame outfielder Jimmie Foxx who did manage an AAGPBL team---the Fort Wayne Daisies in 1952. Foxx managed the Daisies to the first round of the league's playoff, where the real Peaches knocked their skirts off in three games.

In case you forgot or didn't know before: The AAGPBL began returning to the public eye when Paire-Davis herself---the film's Dottie Hinson (Geena Davis) was modeled partly on her and partly on another player, Dorothy Kaminshek---was the co-author of the league theme song you heard the girls warbling a few times in the film. The Racine Belles' motto (you saw it on the back of their team bus), "Dirt in the Skirt," became the title of Paire-Davis's 2009 memoir. And, just like obnoxious little Stillwell remembered his mother believing, Paire-Davis did say playing baseball was the happiest time of her life.

The likely reason to focus on the Peaches for the film was probably that they were one of two teams to stay the league's entire twelve-year course; the other was the South Bend Blue Sox. The league's last championship team was the Kalamazoo Lassies, who moved to Kalamazoo from Muskegon; they won that title in 1954.

One Peach did become a bona-fide Hall of Famer---pitcher Olive Little, into the Canadian Baseball Hall of Fame. In the league's first season she was a 20-game winner and threw a no-hitter while she was at it; she finished her life in the league having thrown four no-hitters (she was, in that regard, the league's Sandy Koufax a decade and a half before Koufax became Koufax) and rolled a lifetime 2.23 earned run average. The bad news: Olive Little died a year before the real AAGPBL was inducted as a league into Cooperstown.

Paire-Davis was one of the league's five top RBI women. (The others: Lib Mahon, Eleanor Callow, Inez Voyce, and Dorothy Schroeder.) Joanne Weaver won the league's batting title in its final three seasons including a .429 batting average in 1954. Her sister, Betty Foss, won the two previous batting titles before she started her string. The sad news is that both sisters eventually died of Lou Gehrig's disease. The league also had two 30-game winners, Helen Nicol (31-8 for the 1943 Comets) and Connie Wisniewski (who did it twice for the Milwaukee Chicks, going 32-11 in 1945 and 33-9 in 1946; her ERA over those two seasons: 0.86).

The league even had its own version of Ozzie Smith---outfielder Faye Dancer had the habit of cartwheeling and backflipping out to her position when she played for the Minneapolis Millerettes (who stayed there one season before moving to Fort Wayne to become the Daisies) and the Peoria Redwings (who formed in 1946 and stayed in the league until 1952). Dancer also happened to be a childhood friend of Paire-Davis.

The league was almost forgotten until June Peppas (who joined the league in 1948) launched an insiders' newsletter in 1980, which led to the forming of the AAGPBL Players Association. That group held its first reunion in Chicago two years later. (They probably picked Chicago because real-life Cubs owner Phil Wrigley created the league in the first place.) Five years after that reunion came the documentary A League of Their Own, written by one of the sons of the league's 1945 batting champion, Helen Gahagan. (Her other son, Casey Candaele, became a major league baseball player for a few years in the late 80s-early 90s, largely with the Houston Astros.)

The league's one wounding flaw: they wouldn't admit black players even after major league baseball's colour line was broken in 1947.

But if you happen to visit Rockford, Illinois, you can find the Peaches' home field still---in 2010, Beyer Stadium was restored, including the original Peaches ticket booth.

Lassies pitcher/outfielder Doris Sams may have called Penny Marshall's film "30 percent truth and 70 percent Hollywood," but the surviving AAGPBL players appreciated Marshall making the film at all. Marshall, in fact, was a frequent presence at the league's subsequent reunions and never stopped supporting their continuing efforts to keep the league's memory alive.

That's the 1952 South Bend Blue Sox hoisting the league's championship trophy; pitcher Jean Faut is actually holding it. She led the league that year with an 0.93 ERA. Here's one of the only known colour photos of an AAGPBL player, in this case Faut herself:

Jean Faut accomplished something no pitcher in any league, either gender, has done otherwise---she pitched two no-hitters and they were both perfect games: she beat the Peaches with the first one in 1951, then beat the Lassies with the second in 1953. She was inducted into the National Women's Baseball Hall of Fame in 2012. And she's still alive at 93.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #1259 on: December 19, 2018, 06:35:15 pm »
News last night had a retrospective of all the people who died this year.

Is it me or did we loose quite a lot of distinguished and inspiring people this year?

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #1260 on: December 19, 2018, 06:47:34 pm »
 (Her other son, Casey Candaele, became a major league baseball player for a few years in the late 80s-early 90s, largely with the Houston Astros.)

@EasyAce
Milo Hamilton would mention that from time to time on his broadcast, during Casey's years with Astros.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #1261 on: December 19, 2018, 06:59:58 pm »
@EasyAce ..... THANK you for that history!!  I may make some others nauseous with this comment, but I think you might understand.  It's about the Doris Murphy conversation on the bus.  I don't remember the exact dialogue, but she basically said that as a female ball player, she always felt that there was something wrong with her, but in coming to the AAGPBL, she realized there were a lot of others like her, and that there was nothing wrong with them.

As a kid who wanted more than anything to play professional baseball (and who didn't even know there was such a thing until this movie), I felt the same way..... and I was even told that when I "grew up" I'd have to give up baseball (there weren't even school teams in the 50's and 60's).   I often felt like there was something wrong with me.   But there wasn't.

That scene brings tears to my eyes every time I watch it.

Thank you SO much for all that information.  I'm going to copy and paste it and keep it!  :beer:

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #1262 on: December 19, 2018, 09:06:58 pm »
@EasyAce ..... THANK you for that history!!  I may make some others nauseous with this comment, but I think you might understand.  It's about the Doris Murphy conversation on the bus.  I don't remember the exact dialogue, but she basically said that as a female ball player, she always felt that there was something wrong with her, but in coming to the AAGPBL, she realized there were a lot of others like her, and that there was nothing wrong with them.
@musiclady
The AAGPBL was killed by two things, basically:

1) After World War II, the gradual advent of baseball on television began doing to non-major league/minor league baseball what it was also doing to network radio and even the movies, removing incentive to go to the AAGPBL ballparks.

2) After Phil Wrigley backed away from the AAGPBL, the league's successor administrators proved lacking in Wrigley's ability to keep things like their finances organised. The administrators of the individual teams proved unable to sustain the teams either financially or administratively---they were even clumsier when they took over individually what was originally a central league item: the players signed contracts with the league itself, not individual teams, in its first several seasons. When the teams individually took that over the results were disaster, and teams began folding rapidly enough.

The AAGPBL began with four teams in 1943: the Peaches, the Belles, the Blue Sox, and the Kenosha Comets. In 1944, the league expanded to bring in the Milwaukee Chicks and the Minneapolis Millerettes. (They were named in tribute to the city's AAA minor-league team, the Millers.) Both those teams moved beginning in 1945, the Chicks to Grand Rapids (keeping the Chicks name) and the Millerettes to Fort Wayne (becoming the Daisies). The league expanded again for 1946, bringing in the Muskegon Lassies and the Peoria Redwings. (The Lassies would move to Kalamazoo in 1950.) In 1948, it added two more teams, the Chicago Colleens and the Springfield Sallies, but both those teams folded after one season.

For 1951, the Belles moved from Racine to Battle Creek, and the league remained an eight-team league. But the Redwings and the Comets folded after the 1951 season. The Belles moved to Muskegon for 1953 (three years after the Lassies moved out) and folded themselves after that season. The last season featured only five teams. The Peaches and the Blue Sox were the only teams to stay the entire life of the league and do so without moving; the final five were the Peaches, the Blue Sox, the Chicks, the Daisies, and the Lassies; the Lassies were the last league champions.

And you're welcome!  :beer:

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #1263 on: December 19, 2018, 10:31:02 pm »
News last night had a retrospective of all the people who died this year.

Is it me or did we loose quite a lot of distinguished and inspiring people this year?
Maybe I'm just playing a hunch, but last year seemed like it was a whole lot worse in regard to prominent deaths than this one. Perhaps there were fewer truly shocking deaths this year—a lot of them this year were old (I mean, the Bushes were over 90 years old, for example) and had known health problems for a long time.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #1264 on: December 19, 2018, 11:05:29 pm »
Maybe I'm just playing a hunch, but last year seemed like it was a whole lot worse in regard to prominent deaths than this one. Perhaps there were fewer truly shocking deaths this year—a lot of them this year were old (I mean, the Bushes were over 90 years old, for example) and had known health problems for a long time.
Although... going through the thread, there seem to indeed be a lot more *big name* deaths this year in terms of the influence they had on society.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #1265 on: December 20, 2018, 06:05:46 am »
Or maybe we had more people dying in their 90s. We lost a president, a senator, and we had two suicides.

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #1266 on: December 21, 2018, 06:04:01 pm »
Donald Moffat, the character actor who nailed Falstaff’s paradoxes at the New York Shakespeare Festival, a grizzled Larry Slade in Eugene O’Neill’s “The Iceman Cometh” on Broadway and a sinister president in the film “Clear and Present Danger,” died on Thursday in Sleepy Hollow, N.Y. He was 87.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/20/obituaries/donald-moffat-dead.html
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #1267 on: December 21, 2018, 08:18:11 pm »
Oh, I really didn't like him in Clear and Present Danger!  He played his part too well!

RIP, Mr. Moffat

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #1268 on: December 21, 2018, 08:45:02 pm »
Oh, I really didn't like him in Clear and Present Danger!  He played his part too well!

RIP, Mr. Moffat
@musiclady
He also played the execrable baseball commissioner Ford Frick in 61*, Billy Crystal's cable television film about the Roger Maris/Mickey Mantle home run chase of 1961.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #1269 on: December 22, 2018, 11:57:37 pm »
Warsaw Ghetto Uprising: Last surviving fighter, Simcha Rotem, dies at 94

The last surviving fighter of the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising of 1943 has died at the age of 94.

Simcha Rotem, also known as Kazik, was one of the Jewish partisans who rose up against the Nazis when they began mass deportations from the Polish capital.

Thousands died in the uprising but Rotem helped scores of fighters escape through the drainage system.

Read more at: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-46662860

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #1270 on: December 23, 2018, 12:15:07 am »

Amazing story.  Would have been just a kid at the time. 

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #1271 on: December 23, 2018, 02:01:58 am »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1272 on: December 23, 2018, 02:20:52 am »

@TomSea

Good man,and he will be missed even by those of us who never knew him.  He will be missed because he had the stones to stand up to tyranny even though he knew it was unlikely he would win or even survive. He did it because it needed to be done. A truly unselfish act.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #1273 on: December 23, 2018, 03:12:39 pm »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #1274 on: December 23, 2018, 05:12:46 pm »
Audrey Geisel, widow of Dr. Seuss, dies at age 97

December 21, 2018

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) – Audrey Geisel, the widow of beloved children’s book author Dr. Seuss and an avid promoter of his legacy, died this week at her California home at age 97, a representative confirmed on Friday.

Geisel married the writer, whose real name was Theodor Geisel, in 1968. After his death in 1991, she founded Dr. Seuss Enterprises to license the characters he created and protect their use outside of his books.

Audrey Geisel served as an executive producer on film adaptations of Dr. Seuss books including the current hit, “The Grinch,” which has earned more than $380 million at global box offices since its release in theaters last month. ...

https://www.oann.com/audrey-geisel-widow-of-dr-seuss-dies-at-age-97/