Author Topic: Obituaries for 2018  (Read 159202 times)

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: Obituaries for 2018
« Reply #1175 on: November 21, 2018, 06:32:34 pm »
Singer Devin Lima dies at 41

Lima (whose real first name was Harold) was a member of LFO, a three-man boy band that was one of many that proliferated in the late 1990s under con-artist Lou Pearlman. After releasing a few hits, with their biggest U.S. hit "Summer Girls" having perhaps some of the most incongruous lyrics ever written (making you wonder whether or not the lyrics were just nonsense filler they just rolled with), they broke up not long after.

Lima's death is actually the second cancer-related death for the trio, following Rich Cronin's death in 2010. Lima and the sole surviving member of the group, Brad Fischetti, had recently reformed LFO as a duo shortly before Lima was diagnosed with cancer in 2017.

Obituary from Entertainment Weekly

Wikipedia

! No longer available
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 06:35:06 pm by jmyrlefuller »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #1176 on: November 22, 2018, 02:48:51 am »
By Pam Kragen
https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/communities/north-county/sd-me-ray-chavez-20181121-story.html?fbclid=IwAR28Msv-k1lnT6puri_jqOheD0Edt9YEUYldnRdbIl5n97d6QxXCcFilmZw

Ray Chavez, the nation’s oldest surviving veteran of the attack on Pearl Harbor, died Wednesday at the age of 106.

Kathleen Chavez, who had been her father’s live-in caregiver for more than 20 years, said he passed away peacefully in his sleep between 3 and 6 a.m. Wednesday. His health had declined in recent months and he was on hospice care when he passed.

Memorial services are pending. Kathleen said her father wished to be buried at Miramar National Cemetery.

Chavez surged into national prominence three years ago when fellow Pearl Harbor veterans recognized him as the oldest survivor of the 1941 Japanese attack that ushered the U.S. into World War II.

At its peak, the Pearl Harbor Survivors Association had 58,000 members. Today, there are fewer than 200, according to Stu Hedley, 97, who heads the association’s now-10-member San Diego chapter.

“Ray Chavez was a very active member for years and I admired the man,” said Hedley, 97, a retired Navy chief petty officer who served on the USS West Virginia at the time of the attack.

Because of his senior position among Pearl Harbor vets, Chavez was a frequent guest at commemorative events around the country, including a visit to the White House last Memorial Day weekend.

The soft-spoken Chavez often said he was overwhelmed by the media attention but he was proud to represent his country . . .
-----------------------
RIP Chief Chavez. I applaud your courage and your dignity.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #1177 on: November 22, 2018, 02:13:01 pm »
106-Year-Old Pearl Harbor Veteran Dies in San Diego
"To get as much education as you can and also to be kind to all people, especially the elderly and the less fortunate," Ray Chavez said in 2017 when asked about the best life advice he had ever received
By Monica Garske, Rafael Avitabile and Alex Presha
Published Nov 21, 2018 at 10:40 AM | Updated at 8:02 PM PST on Nov 21, 2018

Ray Chavez, the oldest veteran survivor of the attack on Pearl Harbor, has died, his loved ones confirmed.

Chavez died overnight, peacefully in his sleep, his cousin told NBC 7. He was 106.  ...

Chavez served missions on a minesweeper and attack transport ship 77 years ago and responded to Pearl Harbor on the morning of Dec. 7, 1941.  ...  More at NBC San Diego
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #1178 on: November 22, 2018, 02:28:15 pm »
"To get as much education as you can and also to be kind to all people, especially the elderly and the less fortunate," Ray Chavez said in 2017 when asked about the best life advice he had ever received

Ray Chavez, the oldest veteran survivor of the attack on Pearl Harbor, has died, his loved ones confirmed.

Chavez died overnight, peacefully in his sleep, his cousin told NBC 7. He was 106.  ...

Chavez served missions on a minesweeper and attack transport ship 77 years ago and responded to Pearl Harbor on the morning of Dec. 7, 1941.  ...  More at NBC San Diego

Fair seas and following winds Ray Chavez!  You have earned them!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 02:38:49 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #1179 on: November 22, 2018, 02:31:24 pm »
He was great in Hee Haw!  Good wholesome cornball TV.  I hope Roy is Pick'in and Grin'in on his new stage.  ! No longer available

I can see Roy and Buck Pick'in and Grin'in with Jesus.. I enjoyed that show when I was a kid. I think it was mainly for the Hee Haw Honeys. Cathy seemed to cheerful for me.

Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #1180 on: November 22, 2018, 02:35:45 pm »

I think we are going a lot of WWII vets die off soon.. Sadly..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline skeeter

« Reply #1181 on: November 22, 2018, 02:43:17 pm »

This country is rapidly changing without them.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #1182 on: November 23, 2018, 01:12:01 am »
Cecylia Roszak, world's oldest nun, dies at 110

Obituary from USA Today

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1183 on: November 23, 2018, 02:07:10 am »

@kevindavis

I don't. Most are already dead. So are the Korean War vets. Move VN vets are in their 70's now,so we are next to disappear.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #1184 on: November 24, 2018, 09:55:33 pm »
Nicolas Roeg, Director of David Bowie's 'The Man Who Fell to Earth,' Dies at 90

The London native, who started out as a cinematographer, also guided Mick Jagger in 'Performance' and helmed 'Walkabout,' 'Don't Look Now' and 'Bad Timing.'

Nicolas Roeg, the British cinematographer turned director who employed his visual flair on such films as David Bowie’s The Man Who Fell to Earth and the horror masterpiece Don’t Look Now, has died. He was 90.

Roeg, who also called the shots for two other rock stars, Mick Jagger in Performance (1970) and Art Garfunkel in Bad Timing/A Sensual Obsession (1980), died Friday night, his son, Nicolas Roeg Jr., told the BBC.

Roeg, known for the lighting composition, color imagery, manipulation of time and erotic sensibility in his films, spent two decades as a camera operator and cinematographer before graduating to director.

More

Wikipedia

IMDb

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #1185 on: November 25, 2018, 01:05:49 am »
Olivia Hooker: Tulsa race riot survivor dies aged 103

When Olivia Hooker was six years old, she was forced to hide under a table as a white mob destroyed the neighbourhood around her.

Later, she would recount how she struggled to stay silent as the torch-carrying men took an axe to the family piano. Outside, as many as 1,000 homes and businesses - including her father's clothes store - were being reduced to rubble.

The 1921 Tulsa race riot, as it would become known, would also leave as many as 300 black people dead.

But the horrifying incident in Oklahoma would be far from the only distinguishing moment of Ms Hooker's remarkable life.

More at: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46332474

wikipedia

I do believe, she was mentioned in another article posted in forums in the past year.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 01:07:00 am by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #1186 on: November 25, 2018, 12:23:45 pm »
Ricky Jay, American magician and actor, dies
https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-46333968

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #1187 on: November 25, 2018, 01:20:01 pm »
As for what kept her going, Ms Hooker had a simple answer: "It's not about you, or me. It's about what we can give to this world."
Olivia Hooker was a remarkable woman who, it appears, chose achievement over victimhood.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #1188 on: November 26, 2018, 10:03:16 pm »
Willie Naulls, Knicks All-Star and Celtics Champion, Dies at 84

Willie Naulls, a four-time All-Star forward with the Knicks, a member of three consecutive N.B.A. championship teams with the Boston Celtics and one of pro basketball’s early black stars, died on Thursday at his home in Laguna Niguel, Calif. He was 84.

The cause was respiratory failure resulting from Churg-Strauss syndrome, a rare condition that can restrict blood flow to vital organs and tissues, his wife, Dr. Anne Van de Water Naulls, said.

A fine outside shooter and a rugged rebounder at 6 feet 6 inches and 225 pounds or so, Naulls was an All-American at U.C.L.A. in 1956, his senior season, playing for the future Hall of Fame coach John Wooden. He was a second-round draft pick of the St. Louis Hawks.

More

Wikipedia

Career Stats

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #1189 on: November 27, 2018, 07:16:48 pm »
Stephen Hillenburg, man who foisted SpongeBob SquarePants upon the world, dies at 57

A former aspiring marine biologist, Hillenburg found his way into animation during a boom in the genre in the 1990s, working under Joe Murray to create the surrealist Nickelodeon cartoon Rocko's Modern Life.

In the late 1990s, Nickelodeon eventually found out about Hillenburg's unpublished comic book The Intertidal Zone, from his days as a marine biologist, and suggested he create a marine-themed cartoon for the network. The end result, SpongeBob SquarePants, became Nickelodeon's biggest hit and its longest-running series, still producing new episodes 19 years after its debut, the second-longest continuously running American animated series of all time behind only The Simpsons if my math is right.

Hillenburg died less than two years after a diagnosis of amyotropic lateral sclerosis.

Obituary from Variety

Wikipedia

IMDB

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #1190 on: November 27, 2018, 11:21:37 pm »
Dang! RIP Spongebob.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #1191 on: November 28, 2018, 01:06:49 am »
Dang! RIP Spongebob.

Spongie lives on, my love.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #1192 on: November 28, 2018, 01:40:58 am »
Spongie lives on, my love.

I watch him on Saturday mornings. I love cartoons. @Cyber Liberty

Just 57 is so young, you know

P.S. I like Patrick Star. And krabby patties.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 01:42:56 am by Freya »

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #1193 on: November 28, 2018, 03:41:19 am »
I watch him on Saturday mornings. I love cartoons. @Cyber Liberty

Just 57 is so young, you know

P.S. I like Patrick Star. And krabby patties.

The early episodes especially, made me laugh hard like I hadn't since Bugs Bunny. Hilarious, lowbrow, numbskull humor.
The Republic is lost.

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #1195 on: December 01, 2018, 07:37:42 am »
Gutted twice in one week. They say it goes in threes,

Anyway, Rip Mr. President thank you so much for being president and serving our country,  :patriot:

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #1196 on: December 01, 2018, 11:32:21 am »

Adjusting my comment significantly, so I won't get banned  My guess Mods will take of Pete the bleep for the rest of us.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 12:46:16 pm by Mod1 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Mod1

« Reply #1197 on: December 01, 2018, 12:45:42 pm »
Please try to show some class, even if it's an effort. Exceedingly disrespectful and/or vulgar comments will be removed.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #1198 on: December 01, 2018, 01:17:34 pm »
RIP Bush Sr. He will now join his beloved Barbara.

Known best perhaps for his adventurous skydiving and the slogan "read my lips, no new taxes", which sunk his chances at a second term.  NAFTA over the years turned out to be a disaster...his presidency seems to represent the last of those who brought dignity and respect to the presidency.

RIP Mr. Bush.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 01:20:14 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #1199 on: December 01, 2018, 01:58:52 pm »
RIP Bush Sr. He will now join his beloved Barbara.

Known best perhaps for his adventurous skydiving and the slogan "read my lips, no new taxes", which sunk his chances at a second term.  NAFTA over the years turned out to be a disaster...his presidency seems to represent the last of those who brought dignity and respect to the presidency.

RIP Mr. Bush.

He was also a trolling pioneer, calling Hussein SAD-dam, instead of SAH-dahm. His way of saying it roughly translated to shoe shine boy in Arabic, in the days before Twitter and ‘Rocket Man.’
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 01:59:27 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.