Poll

Which current Major League Baseball parks have you been to for a game?

Angels - Angel Stadium - Anaheim, CA
5 (12.2%)
Astros - Minute Maid Park - Houston, TX
1 (2.4%)
Athletics - Oakland Alameda County Stadium - Oakland, CA
1 (2.4%)
Blue Jays - Rogers Centre - Toronto, ON
0 (0%)
Braves - Sun Trust Park - Atlanta, GA
1 (2.4%)
Brewers - Miller Park - Milwaukee, WI
0 (0%)
Cardinals - Busch Stadium III - St. Louis, MO
0 (0%)
Cubs - Wrigley Field - Chicago, IL
2 (4.9%)
Diamondbacks - Chase Field - Phoenix, AZ
4 (9.8%)
Dodgers - Dodger Stadium - Los Angeles, CA
6 (14.6%)
Giants - AT&T Park - San Francisco, CA
2 (4.9%)
Indians - Progressive Field - Cleveland, OH
1 (2.4%)
Mariners - Safeco Park - Seattle, WA
0 (0%)
Marlins - Marlins Park - Miami, FL
0 (0%)
Mets - Citi Field - Queens, NYC, NY
0 (0%)
Nationals - Nationals Park - Washington, DC
0 (0%)
Orioles - Oriole Park at Camden Yards - Baltimore, MD
3 (7.3%)
Padres - Petco Park - San Diego, CA
3 (7.3%)
Phillies - Citizens Bank Park - Philadelphia, PA
1 (2.4%)
Pirates - PNC Park - Pittsburgh, PA
1 (2.4%)
Rangers - Globe Life Park in Arlington - Arlington, TX
2 (4.9%)
Rays - Tropicana Field - St. Petersburg, FL
1 (2.4%)
Red Sox - Fenway Park - Boston, MA
1 (2.4%)
Reds - Great American Ball Park - Cincinnati, OH
2 (4.9%)
Rockies - Coors Field - Denver, CO
0 (0%)
Royals - Kauffman Stadium - Kansas City, MO
2 (4.9%)
Tigers - Comerica Park - Detroit, MI
0 (0%)
Twins - Target Field - Minneapolis, MN
1 (2.4%)
White Sox - Guaranteed Rate Field - Chicago, IL
0 (0%)
Yankees - New Yankee Stadium - The Bronx, NYC, NY
1 (2.4%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: BASEBALL 2018---BRING IT ON!  (Read 49881 times)

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
Re: BASEBALL 2018---BRING IT ON!
« Reply #425 on: December 18, 2018, 03:54:57 pm »
I was really hoping the Astros would have signed Goldschmidt.  It would have given them maybe the greatest MLB infield of all time.

1B- Goldschmidt
2B- Altuve
SS- Correa
3B- Bregman

Alas...not so lucky.

How many times in history has a single team won the World Series three times in a row?  Perhaps the "old" Yankees or Dodgers, but none comes to my brain right now.

My brain is kind of in a muddle.  But that is okay.  It could be in a puddle, which would not be very good at all.

wink777
"It's fun; baseball's fun."  Yogi Berra

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #426 on: December 18, 2018, 03:58:20 pm »
Messed up again!  Back to being a newbie!

8888crybaby
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 04:00:18 pm by Slip18 »

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #427 on: December 18, 2018, 04:29:55 pm »
How many times in history has a single team won the World Series three times in a row?  Perhaps the "old" Yankees or Dodgers, but none comes to my brain right now.
@Slip18
Not only three, but five times in a row: the Yankees, under Casey Stengel, from 1949-53.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #428 on: December 18, 2018, 04:53:35 pm »
@Slip18
Not only three, but five times in a row: the Yankees, under Casey Stengel, from 1949-53.

Thank you, Easy!

It just figures the Yankees.  Such a great team back then.  Dang! 

Casey Stengel.  I have not heard his name in a long time!

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #429 on: December 18, 2018, 05:52:40 pm »
Thank you, Easy!

It just figures the Yankees.  Such a great team back then.  Dang! 

@Slip18
@Cyber Liberty

Required reading for anyone who wants to see debunked once and for all the canard that those Yankees could have won with just a uniformed mannequin installed as manager:

A favourite Stengel story: When Mickey Mantle was a rookie, the Yankees broke spring training camp and went to Ebbets Field to play an exhibition with the Dodgers. Before the game, Stengel took Mantle towards right center field to show him the once-infamous Ebbets right field wall, the concrete wall bisected by a wall-height main scoreboard, which had a break across its middle with the lower section angling toward the field itself. (The angle and outward incline were a challenge for outfielders: Dodger right fielder Carl Furillo once said, "Where's the ball gonna hit? If it hits below the break you run like hell to the infield because it's gonna come shooting out. If it hits above the break, you run like hell to the wall because it's gonna drop dead.")

Stengel said to Mantle, "Now, when I played here . . . " (Which he had, in his playing career, as a Dodger.)

Mantle busted his gut laughing. "You played here?" he managed to ask through his laughing.

A sportswriter happened to overhear the exchange, and Stengel tried to explain while holding his own laughter. "The boy never saw concrete before," the Ol' Perfesser said. "He thinks I was born sixty and started managin' right away."

But it might shock some of today's fans who complain about some of today's game trends to realise Stengel was using those very things to win with the Yankees, including platoon splitting and even Moneyball-style baseball: Stengel was a big believer in and talker about on-base percentage decades before Billy Beane made a team-building science out of it; he thought nothing of going to his bullpen earlier than normal if he thought the situation called for it; he even paid attention to reverse platoon splits. (One of his most famous moves was based on just that: the purists screamed bloody murder when he brought in a non-descript righthander named Bob Kuzava to set down a rally in the final game of the 1952 World Series despite a group of lefthanded hitters due up for the Dodgers, but Stengel knew something the purists didn't: Kuzava at the time was better against lefthanded pitchers. And Kuzava saved the game and the Series, the fourth of the five straight Series Stengel won with the Yankees.) His basic managing philosophy: when you have an opening, shove with your shoulder.

Stengel was a sabermetric kind of manager decades before anyone even thought of the term sabermetrics. And when he had the kind of players who could execute (his own favourite word) his kind of baseball, he won.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 06:04:56 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #430 on: December 18, 2018, 08:59:38 pm »
Thank you, Easy!

Talk about a mixture of assignments......

The Late '40's, early '50's Yankees    and......

The infamous 1962 Mets.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #431 on: December 18, 2018, 09:41:28 pm »
Talk about a mixture of assignments......

The Late '40's, early '50's Yankees    and......

The infamous 1962 Mets.
He also managed the sad-sack Brooklyn Dodgers of the mid-1930s and the Boston Braves crossing into the early 40s. Where on both teams he could count on half a hand how many genuinely good players he had with those teams.

He also had a rookie on the '42 Braves named Warren Spahn, who was still green enough that, when he refused to knock Dodger shortstop Pee Wee Reese down in a retaliation move, Stengel sent Spahn back to the minors.

I said 'no guts' to a kid who went on to become a war hero and one of the greatest pitchers you ever say. You can't say I don't miss 'em when I miss 'em.---Stengel, remembering Spahn after Spahn became one of the National League's top pitchers. When the Braves beat the Yankees in the 1957 World Series, Stengel made a point of telling Spahn and Lew Burdette (originally a Yankee but dealt to the Braves after Stengel just couldn't decide on Burdette's makeup) he'd been wrong about both pitcher. (Burdette beat the Yankees thrice in that Series; Spahn won the other game.)

Stengel had one more round with Spahn, when the Mets acquired him from the Braves after the 1964 season. It gave Spahn one kind of bragging right: I played for Casey before and after he was a genius.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #432 on: December 21, 2018, 03:36:23 am »
Baseball news---Free-agent Indians relief pitcher Andrew Miller is said to be close to a new deal with the Cardinals. It's a good thing Anheuser Busch doesn't own the Cardinals anymore. They'd have one hell of a promotional headache on their hands with Cardinals fans holding up signs and wearing T-shirts saying "Now . . . it's Miller Time" . . .

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #433 on: December 22, 2018, 12:09:32 am »
@EasyAce What do you think of the Dodgers-Reds deal?

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #434 on: December 22, 2018, 12:58:42 am »
@EasyAce What do you think of the Dodgers-Reds deal?
@Machiavelli
I think it means the Dodgers a) break an outfield logjam; b) relieve themselves about $15 million worth of luxury tax possibility; and, therefore, c) have room to make a serious play for Bryce Harper. Though you have to admit Los Angeles is going to miss its Puig-in-the-box and about ten surprises a week. On the other hand, the Wild Horse is going to love hitting in that yummier hitter's park in Cincinnati. Maybe even enough that the Reds decide to fasten him aboard on a long-term extension. Kemp might continue his renaissance there, too. (They both become free agents after the 2019 season.)

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #435 on: December 22, 2018, 12:59:23 am »
Meanwhile, there are other teams trying other routes for 2019 . . .

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #436 on: December 22, 2018, 02:33:39 pm »
@Machiavelli
I think it means the Dodgers a) break an outfield logjam; b) relieve themselves about $15 million worth of luxury tax possibility; and, therefore, c) have room to make a serious play for Bryce Harper. Though you have to admit Los Angeles is going to miss its Puig-in-the-box and about ten surprises a week. On the other hand, the Wild Horse is going to love hitting in that yummier hitter's park in Cincinnati. Maybe even enough that the Reds decide to fasten him aboard on a long-term extension. Kemp might continue his renaissance there, too. (They both become free agents after the 2019 season.)

@EasyAce
I'm at work and the company internet blocks sports pages.
Who did the trolley Dodgers get in return?

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #437 on: December 22, 2018, 04:20:31 pm »
@EasyAce
I'm at work and the company internet blocks sports pages.
Who did the trolley Dodgers get in return?
@GrouchoTex
They got pitcher Homer Bailey (really a kind of reclamation project) and a pair of prospects, infielder Jeter Downs and pitcher Josiah Gray.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #438 on: December 28, 2018, 07:51:23 pm »
In the 1930s, the Phillies weren't exactly barn burners, and while playing in old Baker Bowl an angry fan painted some graffiti on the large right field wall sign on which the team endorsed a certain deodorant soap. I tried to imagine here how that graffiti might have looked, since no photograph of it is known to have survived . . .

That was even funnier than the disgruntled Dodger fan of the same decade who painted the Ebbets Field occupancy law sign to read, "Occupancy by more than 35,000 unlawful and unlikely."