Poll

Which current Major League Baseball parks have you been to for a game?

Angels - Angel Stadium - Anaheim, CA
5 (12.2%)
Astros - Minute Maid Park - Houston, TX
1 (2.4%)
Athletics - Oakland Alameda County Stadium - Oakland, CA
1 (2.4%)
Blue Jays - Rogers Centre - Toronto, ON
0 (0%)
Braves - Sun Trust Park - Atlanta, GA
1 (2.4%)
Brewers - Miller Park - Milwaukee, WI
0 (0%)
Cardinals - Busch Stadium III - St. Louis, MO
0 (0%)
Cubs - Wrigley Field - Chicago, IL
2 (4.9%)
Diamondbacks - Chase Field - Phoenix, AZ
4 (9.8%)
Dodgers - Dodger Stadium - Los Angeles, CA
6 (14.6%)
Giants - AT&T Park - San Francisco, CA
2 (4.9%)
Indians - Progressive Field - Cleveland, OH
1 (2.4%)
Mariners - Safeco Park - Seattle, WA
0 (0%)
Marlins - Marlins Park - Miami, FL
0 (0%)
Mets - Citi Field - Queens, NYC, NY
0 (0%)
Nationals - Nationals Park - Washington, DC
0 (0%)
Orioles - Oriole Park at Camden Yards - Baltimore, MD
3 (7.3%)
Padres - Petco Park - San Diego, CA
3 (7.3%)
Phillies - Citizens Bank Park - Philadelphia, PA
1 (2.4%)
Pirates - PNC Park - Pittsburgh, PA
1 (2.4%)
Rangers - Globe Life Park in Arlington - Arlington, TX
2 (4.9%)
Rays - Tropicana Field - St. Petersburg, FL
1 (2.4%)
Red Sox - Fenway Park - Boston, MA
1 (2.4%)
Reds - Great American Ball Park - Cincinnati, OH
2 (4.9%)
Rockies - Coors Field - Denver, CO
0 (0%)
Royals - Kauffman Stadium - Kansas City, MO
2 (4.9%)
Tigers - Comerica Park - Detroit, MI
0 (0%)
Twins - Target Field - Minneapolis, MN
1 (2.4%)
White Sox - Guaranteed Rate Field - Chicago, IL
0 (0%)
Yankees - New Yankee Stadium - The Bronx, NYC, NY
1 (2.4%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: BASEBALL 2018---BRING IT ON!  (Read 50118 times)

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: BASEBALL 2018---BRING IT ON!
« Reply #400 on: October 09, 2018, 01:19:25 am »
Astros Win!! Astros Win!!  Astros Win AGAIN!!!
Channeling your inner Loel Passe? Or was that Milo?  :cool:
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #401 on: October 09, 2018, 01:54:06 am »

(1) Yankee's bullpen?  You don't think the Astros bullpen is 100% better?  Last year we didn't hardly have a bull pen at all, as evidence AJ's use of starters in relief.  This year the pen is rock solid and now have a reliable closer in Osuna, vs. last year's head case Giles.

(2) Not much change in Houston?  We added a No. 2 pitcher who might be No. 1 in 2/3 of the rest of the League (Cole).  I'll venture we have the best 1-2 starting punch in baseball (Verlander / Cole) . Our No. 3 is a recent Cy Young winner too btw.  The ALDS was prime example of that level of dominance.

In any case, you underestimated us last year, so I don't mind if you do it again.   :cool:

Like you quoted....  "You never know" We'll know soon.

@EasyAce
Except for Gerrit Cole this team is pretty much the same as last year's World Series winner, and Verlander/Cole are a terrific 1-2 punch. But, yes, the Yankee pen is better this season:
the ERAs for the five main Yankee pitchers was 2.80 next to those of the Astros being 2.88, but the Yankee pen had a better walks/hits per inning pitched rate than the Astros pen and the Yankee pen's fielding-independent pitching rate---basically, that's your ERA without your defense factored in---was 2.68, with the Astros' pen showing a 3.08 FIP. Both pens surrendered a comparatively few home runs this season: 29 for the Yankees' five main men; 30 for the Astros'. Where the Yankee pen might be vulnerable is if they have to go to other than their five main guys, but that's their only vulnerability, and it's possible the Yankees may leave a couple of those guys off the ALCS roster if they get there. Both these bullpens are awfully close to each other, but I'd have to say the Yankees have the slight edge there especially if they have to come into a game early. The Astros pen is good if they have to get into a game early, but the Yankee pen is just a little bit better. They don't look so good today with the Red Sox battering the Yankees 10-1 in the fifth as I write, but overall they're just a little more solid.

If the Astros get the Red Sox in the ALCS, it'll be little contest---the Red Sox bullpen is a band aids-and-string mess comparatively. The key for the Astros against the Red Sox, I repeat---get their starters out of the way early and get into the Red Sox bullpen early, and often. If they do that it'll be a short ALCS; the Red Sox's bats won't be kept too quiet even against the Astros' best pitchers, but the Astros can win against the Red Sox if the Sox have to go to the bullpen too early.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #402 on: October 10, 2018, 03:37:03 am »
Boston Wins, barely.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #403 on: October 10, 2018, 07:13:08 am »
Boston Wins, barely.
@Elderberry
A blowout is well and good but there's nothing like a little hair-raiser to keep a team honest.

Now we'll see if the Red Sox's bats can overcome their half-shaky bullpen (the two guys who relieved earlier tonight were sharp, maybe the best pen men the Sox have, but the rest of the pen is rickety enough, and I'm pretty sure the Red Sox won't think about sending too many other starting pitchers to the pen ;) ) and find ways past the Astros' effective starters. Justin Verlander and Gerrit Cole are no pushovers. During the season the Red Sox lost the series with the Astros three games to four, and the scoring difference between them was only three runs, advantage Astros. But you never know what might happen when a League Championship Series comes into play.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #404 on: October 10, 2018, 07:44:20 am »
Since I was eight years old, I've grown to HATE the Yankees.

Growing up in Buffalo, NY we cheered for the Brooklyn Dodgers....the perennial underdogs.

GD Yankees seemed to always be willing to break the bank in salaries in an effort to gain the advantage.

It tickles me to this day to see Yankees going home early in the ALDS.

Payback for that little kid Jeffry Meier, who grabbed that fly ball at the wall in right field.   Bastards.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #405 on: October 10, 2018, 02:47:54 pm »
Except for Gerrit Cole this team is pretty much the same as last year's World Series winner, and Verlander/Cole are a terrific 1-2 punch. But, yes, the Yankee pen is better this season:
the ERAs for the five main Yankee pitchers was 2.80 next to those of the Astros being 2.88, but the Yankee pen had a better walks/hits per inning pitched rate than the Astros pen and the Yankee pen's fielding-independent pitching rate---basically, that's your ERA without your defense factored in---was 2.68, with the Astros' pen showing a 3.08 FIP. Both pens surrendered a comparatively few home runs this season: 29 for the Yankees' five main men; 30 for the Astros'. Where the Yankee pen might be vulnerable is if they have to go to other than their five main guys, but that's their only vulnerability, and it's possible the Yankees may leave a couple of those guys off the ALCS roster if they get there. Both these bullpens are awfully close to each other, but I'd have to say the Yankees have the slight edge there especially if they have to come into a game early. The Astros pen is good if they have to get into a game early, but the Yankee pen is just a little bit better. They don't look so good today with the Red Sox battering the Yankees 10-1 in the fifth as I write, but overall they're just a little more solid.

If the Astros get the Red Sox in the ALCS, it'll be little contest---the Red Sox bullpen is a band aids-and-string mess comparatively. The key for the Astros against the Red Sox, I repeat---get their starters out of the way early and get into the Red Sox bullpen early, and often. If they do that it'll be a short ALCS; the Red Sox's bats won't be kept too quiet even against the Astros' best pitchers, but the Astros can win against the Red Sox if the Sox have to go to the bullpen too early.

I think the Astros bullpen is leaps and bounds better this year than it was last year.  But that's just me I guess.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #406 on: October 10, 2018, 04:10:55 pm »
I think the Astros bullpen is leaps and bounds better this year than it was last year.  But that's just me I guess.

Dang straight.  Last year AJ had to pull out secondary starters as relievers to win the WS. 

Thankfully Ken Giles is at least a 1000 miles from anywhere we play.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #407 on: October 10, 2018, 05:17:18 pm »
Dang straight.  Last year AJ had to pull out secondary starters as relievers to win the WS. 
Thankfully Ken Giles is at least a 1000 miles from anywhere we play.

:amen:  :amen: and  :amen: again!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline musiclady

« Reply #408 on: October 10, 2018, 05:24:23 pm »

They sure did a number on the Indians.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #409 on: October 10, 2018, 05:38:38 pm »

With all of the apostrophes, I'm thinking Milo....

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #410 on: October 13, 2018, 10:41:34 pm »
Game One---two passed balls, two errors. Game Two---Bats with the bases loaded and one out in the top of the seventh . . . and dials Area Code 4-6-3. I'm beginning to think that having Yasmani Grandal on your National League Championship Series team is a lot like having Bonnie and Clyde run your police department.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #411 on: October 14, 2018, 04:20:13 am »
ALCS Game 1-  Houston 7 Boston 2. Houston leads series 1-0.

:lotsosmileys: :

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #412 on: October 14, 2018, 01:15:26 pm »
ALCS Game 1-  Houston 7 Boston 2. Houston leads series 1-0.

:lotsosmileys: :

888high58888  :beer:

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #413 on: October 15, 2018, 02:42:31 pm »
1-1 Series now.
Coming back to Houston for 3 games..

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #414 on: October 15, 2018, 02:45:15 pm »
1-1 Series now.
Coming back to Houston for 3 games..

Last night was painful.  Not one of A.J.'s best moments.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #415 on: December 12, 2018, 02:25:55 am »
A day late but on December 10th, 1951, Joe Dimaggio retired from baseball. He started playing for the Yankees in 1936,

https://babalublog.com/2018/12/10/my-father-used-to-tell-me-about-the-day-that-joe-dimaggio-retired/

It's a baseball mad country even still, Cuba that is. I listened to some Cuban shortwave this summer and they'd report the scores. I'm pretty sure this was "Radio Marti" which is NOT the Cuban government or in Cuba but an outreach originating from the USA to Cuba.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #416 on: December 16, 2018, 07:16:42 pm »
A's OF Piscotty wins Tony Conigliaro Award

Stephen Piscotty became an Athletic in the first place when the Cardinals, knowing his mother was diagnosed with Lou Gehrig's disease, elected to send him closer to home so he could be near her. When he returned to the A's after her death this past May, Piscotty was in the lineup against the Red Sox in Boston and, in his first plate appearance after bereavement leave for his mother's death, hit one over the Green Monster. Piscotty ended the season with career highs in home runs (27) and runs batted in (88). (It was also the first time Piscotty ever played in Fenway Park.)

That was Piscotty tapping his heart for his mother, as he rounded third after he hit that home run. He said the heart tap was his mother's way to say "I love you" after the disease compromised her speech.

And this was the home run . . .

Sorry...

To hit a home run in his first at-bat [back] like that, there was something in the air. Probably Gretchen.---A's manager Bob Melvin.

Piscotty with his mother when he was a kid rooting for the A's. The story is that when she was pregnant with him, she would hold a music box against her stomach---it played "Amazing Grace." Piscotty himself says that's his favourite song; he would play it for his mother frequently during the last months of her life.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #417 on: December 16, 2018, 07:37:02 pm »
Found a classic clip, from 1966:

Hall of Famer Gaylord Perry (then with the Giants) pitching to Hall of Famer Roberto Clemente (Pirates) and making Clemente think he's getting his grease . . . (provoking then-Pirates manager Harry [the Hat] Walker to arguing and getting tossed by the umps) . . .

Sorry...

Offline skeeter

« Reply #418 on: December 16, 2018, 08:22:42 pm »

THIS is the proper way to be ejected.

Sorry...

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #419 on: December 16, 2018, 08:31:21 pm »

THIS is the proper way to be ejected.

Sorry...
@skeeter
That was puppy chow!

Sorry...

Offline skeeter

« Reply #420 on: December 16, 2018, 10:26:37 pm »
Hilarious. Extra style points for sure!

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #421 on: December 17, 2018, 11:07:36 am »
The double-handed kiss at the end was quite lovely.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #422 on: December 18, 2018, 03:45:09 pm »

Oops!  I am late. 

I lost five buckaroonies thinking the Dodgers would beat the Astros!  Last year I won a buck, but I was never paid.

Go figure...

And now Goldy is with the Cardinals.  Jake Lamb takes over at first plate.  I will be rooting for the Cardinals only because of Goldy.  He deserves a ring.  Miggy Montero got his when he joined the Cubbies.

Ahhhh, baseball.  Hopefully, this move of ours @Cyber Liberty will be finished by Spring Training.  LOL!

Baseball rules!

:amen:
"It's fun; baseball's fun."  Yogi Berra

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #423 on: December 18, 2018, 03:49:03 pm »

And now Goldy is with the Cardinals.  Jake Lamb takes over at first plate.  I will be rooting for the Cardinals only because of Goldy.  He deserves a ring.  Miggy Montero got his when he joined the Cubbies.

I was really hoping the Astros would have signed Goldschmidt.  It would have given them maybe the greatest MLB infield of all time.

1B- Goldschmidt
2B- Altuve
SS- Correa
3B- Bregman

Alas...not so lucky.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #424 on: December 18, 2018, 03:50:38 pm »
Oops!  I am late. 

I lost five buckaroonies thinking the Dodgers would beat the Astros!  Last year I won a buck, but I was never paid.

Go figure...

Ahhhh, baseball.  Hopefully, this move of ours @Cyber Liberty will be finished by Spring Training.  LOL!

Baseball rules!

:amen:

We'll be done, and we will have moved away from where the Spring Training is played.   :shrug:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: