Poll

Which current Major League Baseball parks have you been to for a game?

Angels - Angel Stadium - Anaheim, CA
5 (12.2%)
Astros - Minute Maid Park - Houston, TX
1 (2.4%)
Athletics - Oakland Alameda County Stadium - Oakland, CA
1 (2.4%)
Blue Jays - Rogers Centre - Toronto, ON
0 (0%)
Braves - Sun Trust Park - Atlanta, GA
1 (2.4%)
Brewers - Miller Park - Milwaukee, WI
0 (0%)
Cardinals - Busch Stadium III - St. Louis, MO
0 (0%)
Cubs - Wrigley Field - Chicago, IL
2 (4.9%)
Diamondbacks - Chase Field - Phoenix, AZ
4 (9.8%)
Dodgers - Dodger Stadium - Los Angeles, CA
6 (14.6%)
Giants - AT&T Park - San Francisco, CA
2 (4.9%)
Indians - Progressive Field - Cleveland, OH
1 (2.4%)
Mariners - Safeco Park - Seattle, WA
0 (0%)
Marlins - Marlins Park - Miami, FL
0 (0%)
Mets - Citi Field - Queens, NYC, NY
0 (0%)
Nationals - Nationals Park - Washington, DC
0 (0%)
Orioles - Oriole Park at Camden Yards - Baltimore, MD
3 (7.3%)
Padres - Petco Park - San Diego, CA
3 (7.3%)
Phillies - Citizens Bank Park - Philadelphia, PA
1 (2.4%)
Pirates - PNC Park - Pittsburgh, PA
1 (2.4%)
Rangers - Globe Life Park in Arlington - Arlington, TX
2 (4.9%)
Rays - Tropicana Field - St. Petersburg, FL
1 (2.4%)
Red Sox - Fenway Park - Boston, MA
1 (2.4%)
Reds - Great American Ball Park - Cincinnati, OH
2 (4.9%)
Rockies - Coors Field - Denver, CO
0 (0%)
Royals - Kauffman Stadium - Kansas City, MO
2 (4.9%)
Tigers - Comerica Park - Detroit, MI
0 (0%)
Twins - Target Field - Minneapolis, MN
1 (2.4%)
White Sox - Guaranteed Rate Field - Chicago, IL
0 (0%)
Yankees - New Yankee Stadium - The Bronx, NYC, NY
1 (2.4%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: BASEBALL 2018---BRING IT ON!  (Read 49893 times)

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Re: BASEBALL 2018---BRING IT ON!
« Reply #75 on: April 01, 2018, 05:10:59 pm »

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #76 on: April 01, 2018, 06:37:23 pm »
A loss so embarrassing that even the umpire rips Phillies

@EasyAce What do you think?

I liked the final score.   :laugh:

It was a tough situation, though, especially for Milner.  I'm glad he apparently didn't suffer any ill effects from not having had a real warm-up.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #77 on: April 01, 2018, 06:41:10 pm »
A loss so embarrassing that even the umpire rips Phillies

@EasyAce What do you think?
@Machiavelli
I think the 1962 Mets weren't the only team to find new ways to lose nobody knew were invented yet. But at least those
Mets couldn't pin their foulups, bleeps, and blunders on their manager. Casey Stengel had his problems with those early Mets
but bullpen communication wasn't one of them.

Even the issue of using position players on the mound. It's been done before---usually, when the team in question is so blown
out in the game they don't dare risk the rest of their real pitchers. This one Kapler got right: he brought in a utility player to
pitch the eighth when the game couldn't be reached by cab, and the poor sap surrendered a two-run homer.

We take you back to September 2002. The Dodgers had the Diamondbacks buried alive, 18-0, going to the top of the ninth in Arizona.
Snakes first baseman Mark Grace volunteered to pitch the ninth and take one for the team. He actually got the first two outs
before a rookie named David Ross took him into the left field seats. "His first major league home run," Grace said after the game,
"and he gets it off Mark Grace. I feel sorry for him."

The following day, both players agreed to sit for a joint radio interview. "I got a bad scouting report," Grace cracked. "I was told
he was a good fastball hitter. So I threw him a bad fastball and he still hit it a mile."

But at least neither manager called for a bullpen bull who wasn't there or warmed up, either.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #78 on: April 01, 2018, 06:51:19 pm »
@Machiavelli
I think the 1962 Mets weren't the only team to find new ways to lose nobody knew were invented yet. But at least those
Mets couldn't pin their foulups, bleeps, and blunders on their manager. Casey Stengel had his problems with those early Mets
but bullpen communication wasn't one of them.

Even the issue of using position players on the mound. It's been done before---usually, when the team in question is so blown
out in the game they don't dare risk the rest of their real pitchers. This one Kapler got right: he brought in a utility player to
pitch the eighth when the game couldn't be reached by cab, and the poor sap surrendered a two-run homer.

We take you back to September 2002. The Dodgers had the Diamondbacks buried alive, 18-0, going to the top of the ninth in Arizona.
Snakes first baseman Mark Grace volunteered to pitch the ninth and take one for the team. He actually got the first two outs
before a rookie named David Ross took him into the left field seats. "His first major league home run," Grace said after the game,
"and he gets it off Mark Grace. I feel sorry for him."

The following day, both players agreed to sit for a joint radio interview. "I got a bad scouting report," Grace cracked. "I was told
he was a good fastball hitter. So I threw him a bad fastball and he still hit it a mile."

But at least neither manager called for a bullpen bull who wasn't there or warmed up, either.

@Slip18 and I were talking about that outing Mark Grace had this morning, after I told her about the Philly wipe-out.  She said exactly what you did about Grace "taking one for the team."  Grace did pretty well, even giving up a homer.  He got the outs, and that was the bottom line.  And it was fun to watch.  He did a perfect impersonation of the Mike Fetters glare....

(We still get to enjoy Mike Fetters.  He's the Bullpen Coach.)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 06:52:17 pm by Cyber Liberty »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #79 on: April 01, 2018, 06:53:31 pm »
@Machiavelli
Even the issue of using position players on the mound. It's been done before---usually, when the team in question is so blown out in the game they don't dare risk the rest of their real pitchers.

Jonny Gomes pitching for the Braves against the Yanks 3 years ago was a beautiful thing.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 06:54:09 pm by Polly Ticks »
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #80 on: April 01, 2018, 07:41:59 pm »
@Slip18 and I were talking about that outing Mark Grace had this morning, after I told her about the Philly wipe-out.  She said exactly what you did about Grace "taking one for the team."  Grace did pretty well, even giving up a homer.  He got the outs, and that was the bottom line.  And it was fun to watch.  He did a perfect impersonation of the Mike Fetters glare....

(We still get to enjoy Mike Fetters.  He's the Bullpen Coach.)
@Cyber Liberty
@Slip18
David Ross's first major league home run (off Mark Grace) . . .

! No longer available

. . . and, his last, Game Seven, 2016 World Series (off Andrew Miller) . . .

! No longer available

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #81 on: April 01, 2018, 07:49:57 pm »
In a few minutes, Shohei Ohtani is scheduled to make his MLB pitching debut. You can watch it on Fox Sports West.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #82 on: April 01, 2018, 08:11:21 pm »
In a few minutes, Shohei Ohtani is scheduled to make his MLB pitching debut. You can watch it on Fox Sports West.
They're underway. The Angels opened with a base hit and a double play. (Why the hell is Scioscia batting Mike Trout second in the order?) Ground out to first
retires the side. Otani's going out to the mound.

Trivia: The last time a player started games as a pitcher and a hitter in the first ten days of a season was 1920---Bullet Joe Bush did it for the
Red Sox and Clarence Mitchell did it for the Dodgers.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 08:11:57 pm by EasyAce »

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #83 on: April 01, 2018, 08:17:56 pm »
Ohtani strikes out the first batter he faces.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #84 on: April 01, 2018, 08:29:45 pm »
Ohtani strikes out the first batter he faces.
Got the side in order sandwiching a foul out between two punchouts. RBI double makes it 1-0, Angels, top of the second.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #85 on: April 01, 2018, 08:36:31 pm »
There goes Ohtani's no-hitter.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #86 on: April 01, 2018, 08:42:13 pm »
There goes Ohtani's no-hitter.
There went his lead---strikeout, back to back singles, three-run bomb. 3-2, A's . . .

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #87 on: April 01, 2018, 08:44:25 pm »

Spring training is only 11 days away!!                                             Spring training is only 11 days away!!                               Spring training is only 11 days away!!                               Spring training is only 11 days away!!                               Spring training is only 11 days away!!                               Spring training is only 11 days away!!                               Spring training is only 11 days away!!

I love baseball!

D-Backs have added more improvements this year.  Boxberger is now our closer.  We added Dyson from the Mariners as our stealer of bases.  Dang.  With our older and much improved and non-injured players, we have a chance this year.

Easy, Mark Grace was such a great player.  Fun to watch, too.  He got in trouble with alcohol while going through a divorce.  It was a sad time for all of us.  We saw the whole sordid dance of the divorce.  It affected his announcing.  He has made a fabulous comeback in the past few years after being sent to the minors to coach.  We are proud of our Gracie, the one the Cubbies tossed overboard.

I will be in here more often when the heat hits.  Gotta get stuff done before the 115-degree dog days of summer comes strolling along.

Wheee!  ⚾⚾⚾⚾⚾
"It's fun; baseball's fun."  Yogi Berra

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #88 on: April 01, 2018, 08:49:08 pm »
Trout up. Something fishy going on here.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #89 on: April 01, 2018, 08:52:25 pm »
Easy, Mark Grace was such a great player.  Fun to watch, too.  He got in trouble with alcohol while going through a divorce.  It was a sad time for all of us.  We saw the whole sordid dance of the divorce.  It affected his announcing.  He has made a fabulous comeback in the past few years after being sent to the minors to coach.  We are proud of our Gracie, the one the Cubbies tossed overboard.
@Slip18
In the years when Mark Grace first broke into the majors, the Cubs were so short-sighted that they didn't see something which might have made
a big difference in both their ability to win games and in Grace's career: Grace was a kind of anomaly---he was a first baseman with the hitting skills
of a number two hitter, playing with Ryne Sandberg, a second baseman with the hitting skills of a number three hitter. Like too many clubs at the
time the Cubs batted both players according to their position's "traditional" batting order slots and not according to their skill sets. Sandberg became
a Hall of Famer regardless, but you wonder a) whether Grace would have shaken out as a Hall of Famer if he'd been batted according to his skill set
and not his field position, and b) whether Sandberg would have been even more run productive hitting number three or even cleanup. The Cubs
in those years didn't have the brains to think that deeply about their resources.

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #90 on: April 01, 2018, 09:00:26 pm »
I will say
Twins v Astros in the AL
Nationals v Dodgers NL
Astros 4-3 in series

D-Backs would have been in last year's series, except the Dodgers played an utterly outstanding season.  So far this year the Dodgers have lost two games to the Giants.  So they have only won one game.

D-Backs have a good, might I say exceptional, chance of getting the penant this year.

⚾⚾⚾

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #91 on: April 01, 2018, 09:02:54 pm »
I have been restlessly waiting for today so I could put it back on! 

Also my Braves earrings and hair scrunchie, although my avatar doesn't reflect that.  Hmmmm ... maybe I need to work on that a bit one of these days.

Just wow, Polly.  I have D-Backs ribbons for my hair.  LOL!

⚾⚾⚾

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #92 on: April 01, 2018, 09:06:18 pm »
X-ray of baseballs reveals possible cause of home run surge

@EasyAce

We now have a thermador for our baseballs.  I do wonder how that will affect our games.  The dry air here is very hard on the balls. Just like your skin.  We must keep our skin moisturized at all times.

⚾⚾⚾

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #93 on: April 01, 2018, 09:14:35 pm »
Most indispensable players for all 30 teams in 2018

Absolutely great article, Polly.  One of the reasons I love baseball is because it is a team and an individual sport.  You can take away your MVP on a team, and still have a very good year.  Just my humble opinion.

⚾⚾⚾

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #94 on: April 01, 2018, 09:18:57 pm »
My big question involving Paul Goldschmidt might actually be how long he remains a Diamondback. There've been trade rumours
around him in the past, and if the Snakes don't make a good showing this season after getting shoved out early last postseason,
who knows if they decide to push the reset button and cash Goldschmidt in for a small haul of prospects or younger major leaguers?

I do not think Goldy will leave the D-Backs, no matter what.  He will take a cut in pay to stay.  He is not as strong as he was prior to Baby Goldschmidt, but he is motivated every game.

He is so involved in this community that he is here to stay.

Again that is my humble opinion. LOL!

⚾⚾⚾

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #95 on: April 01, 2018, 09:22:19 pm »
Shhhhhh.....  @EasyAce  wrote us off with minimal chances last year.  Maybe he will do us a favor and do the same this year.

I made a whopping five dollars off of your team last year.  I bet one sister that the Astros would take it in seven.  Two other sisters would not bet against me. LOL!

⚾⚾⚾

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #96 on: April 01, 2018, 09:29:01 pm »
Hitting sports franchises is more of a feature than a bug, I'd say.  Trump was being a bit of a bullet-head in bragging about it to the team in a ceremony.

Politics has nothing to do with baseball.  Leave us alone, will ya, bureaucrats!

⚾⚾⚾

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #97 on: April 01, 2018, 09:39:02 pm »
Yay!! The 2018 baseball season has begun!!

Top 10 moments of Opening Day 2018

I was at my first acupuncture appointment when Happ hit the home run on the first pitch.  Too good.  The doctor was going crazy because his three patients were baseball fanatics.  The other patient has had season tickets for the Diamondbacks for 20 years!  He was trying to get the doc to go with him to the opening game.  Hey, what about me?

The doc was trying to get us all to just shut up about baseball. LOL!

⚾⚾⚾

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #98 on: April 01, 2018, 09:47:51 pm »
Mike Trout---RBI double. Justin Upton---sacrifice fly. The Angels re-take the lead, 4-3, middle of the fifth.
Ohtani's only real dicy inning: the second. He wasn't feeling the breaking balls right just yet and the A's made
him pay.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #99 on: April 02, 2018, 03:30:52 pm »
Astro's home opener tonight.
Local TV is going to cover the ballpark all day.
They have pregame stuff going on outside, and this will be the first time they've played at home as the World Series champs, in regular season anyway.
They played 2 exhibition games here against the Brewers before taking 3 out of 4 from the Rangers in Arlington, to open the season.

(I really enjoyed typing the part in italics...)

:cool:
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 03:31:42 pm by GrouchoTex »