Poll

Which current Major League Baseball parks have you been to for a game?

Angels - Angel Stadium - Anaheim, CA
5 (12.2%)
Astros - Minute Maid Park - Houston, TX
1 (2.4%)
Athletics - Oakland Alameda County Stadium - Oakland, CA
1 (2.4%)
Blue Jays - Rogers Centre - Toronto, ON
0 (0%)
Braves - Sun Trust Park - Atlanta, GA
1 (2.4%)
Brewers - Miller Park - Milwaukee, WI
0 (0%)
Cardinals - Busch Stadium III - St. Louis, MO
0 (0%)
Cubs - Wrigley Field - Chicago, IL
2 (4.9%)
Diamondbacks - Chase Field - Phoenix, AZ
4 (9.8%)
Dodgers - Dodger Stadium - Los Angeles, CA
6 (14.6%)
Giants - AT&T Park - San Francisco, CA
2 (4.9%)
Indians - Progressive Field - Cleveland, OH
1 (2.4%)
Mariners - Safeco Park - Seattle, WA
0 (0%)
Marlins - Marlins Park - Miami, FL
0 (0%)
Mets - Citi Field - Queens, NYC, NY
0 (0%)
Nationals - Nationals Park - Washington, DC
0 (0%)
Orioles - Oriole Park at Camden Yards - Baltimore, MD
3 (7.3%)
Padres - Petco Park - San Diego, CA
3 (7.3%)
Phillies - Citizens Bank Park - Philadelphia, PA
1 (2.4%)
Pirates - PNC Park - Pittsburgh, PA
1 (2.4%)
Rangers - Globe Life Park in Arlington - Arlington, TX
2 (4.9%)
Rays - Tropicana Field - St. Petersburg, FL
1 (2.4%)
Red Sox - Fenway Park - Boston, MA
1 (2.4%)
Reds - Great American Ball Park - Cincinnati, OH
2 (4.9%)
Rockies - Coors Field - Denver, CO
0 (0%)
Royals - Kauffman Stadium - Kansas City, MO
2 (4.9%)
Tigers - Comerica Park - Detroit, MI
0 (0%)
Twins - Target Field - Minneapolis, MN
1 (2.4%)
White Sox - Guaranteed Rate Field - Chicago, IL
0 (0%)
Yankees - New Yankee Stadium - The Bronx, NYC, NY
1 (2.4%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: BASEBALL 2018---BRING IT ON!  (Read 49883 times)

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: BASEBALL 2018---BRING IT ON!
« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2018, 05:23:27 pm »
My big question involving Paul Goldschmidt might actually be how long he remains a Diamondback. There've been trade rumours
around him in the past, and if the Snakes don't make a good showing this season after getting shoved out early last postseason,
who knows if they decide to push the reset button and cash Goldschmidt in for a small haul of prospects or younger major leaguers?

A good question that gets asked around the Cyber household (heck around the whole town!) every time there's a trade deadline.  As long as he has a solid hit we really can't afford to lose him.  I imagine if he leaves, it will be his choice after a bidding war.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2018, 06:21:36 pm »
Hoping for a better showing from my Rangers this year. But the Stros are gonna be tough to beat.

Shhhhhh.....  @EasyAce  wrote us off with minimal chances last year.  Maybe he will do us a favor and do the same this year.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2018, 07:03:25 pm »
Shhhhhh.....  @EasyAce  wrote us off with minimal chances last year.  Maybe he will do us a favor and do the same this year.
Hey, I admitted I was wrong.

Personally, I think the Astros are the team to beat in the AL West this year, too. But I think a couple of AL West teams could
make a run at them, even if those runs might not hold up all the way to the end.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2018, 02:45:53 pm »
On Saturday, Apr. 21, and Sunday, Apr. 22, one signature concession item from every Major League team will come together for an eating extravaganza near Bryant Park in Manhattan.
MLB FoodFest will bring all of the Majors' wildest ballpark concoctions under one roof

I'm not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing that this event is not closer to home ...
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2018, 04:22:48 pm »
MLB FoodFest will bring all of the Majors' wildest ballpark concoctions under one roof

I'm not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing that this event is not closer to home ...
@Polly Ticks
I got to see a game at Camden Yards in 1998 while traveling around the United States. I took a tour of the ballpark during the afternoon, then copped
a pair of tickets to see the Orioles play the Red Sox that night. My seats were in the middle of the field level boxes near third base. The concession stand
behind my section had potato knishes to die for---they were the next best thing to the knishes I ate when I was growing up in Long Beach, on Long
Island. If they still have that stand there and send some knishes to that foodfest, I might have to be glad I can't be there, because I could have had
three easy!

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2018, 04:32:57 pm »
@Polly Ticks
I got to see a game at Camden Yards in 1998 while traveling around the United States. I took a tour of the ballpark during the afternoon, then copped a pair of tickets to see the Orioles play the Red Sox that night. My seats were in the middle of the field level boxes near third base. The concession stand behind my section had potato knishes to die for---they were the next best thing to the knishes I ate when I was growing up in Long Beach, on Long Island. If they still have that stand there and send some knishes to that foodfest, I might have to be glad I can't be there, because I could have had three easy!

Oh, man, that sounds delicious!

No knishes on the menu for the Food Festival, but it looks like there are plenty of other fantastic options:
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2018, 05:36:18 pm »
Oh, man, that sounds delicious!

No knishes on the menu for the Food Festival, but it looks like there are plenty of other fantastic options:
They should have thrown in Dodger Dogs!

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2018, 05:48:52 pm »

Agreed.  I'm having a difficult time understanding the lack of DDs.  Maybe they were avoiding presenting 30 different kinds of hot dogs?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2018, 06:16:38 pm »

Personally, I think the Astros are the team to beat in the AL West this year, too. But I think a couple of AL West teams could
make a run at them, even if those runs might not hold up all the way to the end.

With the addition of Gerrit Cole, we have an awesome 3 headed tandem of Verlander-Keuchel-Cole.  The back end of the roatation aren't slouches either.   Add the fact we really didn't lose any offense..........    I think we blow the ALW away prettily easily this year. (exception injuries).

I am less optimistic of winning it all again though.  I think we all realize how tough it is to repeat....   15 -20 years or so, if I recall.

A 85 game winning wild card team that is hot is about the most dangerous animal out there in October.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 10:58:46 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #59 on: March 14, 2018, 06:41:24 pm »
Agreed.  I'm having a difficult time understanding the lack of DDs.  Maybe they were avoiding presenting 30 different kinds of hot dogs?
With all the stuff they're bringing to those tables they couldn't swing at least Dodger Dogs or Fenway Franks? OY!

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #60 on: March 14, 2018, 07:04:29 pm »
With all the stuff they're bringing to those tables they couldn't swing at least Dodger Dogs or Fenway Franks? OY!

Or a Philly cheesesteak.   :shrug:

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #61 on: March 14, 2018, 07:20:10 pm »
Or a Philly cheesesteak.   :shrug:
Jeez, you can get a Philly cheesesteak anywhere. ;)

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #62 on: March 14, 2018, 07:41:56 pm »

Yeah, but "Wit Da Whizz?"
I will NOT comply.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #63 on: March 14, 2018, 07:43:00 pm »

I can almost here Vin Scully now, " Faaarma John"

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #64 on: March 14, 2018, 07:59:56 pm »

According to my Pennsylvanian college roommate, those don't count.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #65 on: March 14, 2018, 08:21:39 pm »
According to my Pennsylvanian college roommate, those don't count.

They don't.  It's like calling a taco from Taco Bell a "taco."  No it isn't, it's an insult to the food.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #66 on: March 20, 2018, 06:48:39 pm »
A Curveball From the New Tax Law: It Makes Baseball Trades Harder

Jim Tankersley
The New York Times
March 19, 2018

WASHINGTON — As President Trump congratulated the World Series champion Houston Astros at a White House ceremony last week, he also heaped praise on himself and congressional Republicans for passing a sweeping tax cut last year. He hailed Representative Kevin Brady of Texas, the House’s chief tax writer and an Astros superfan, as “the king of those tax cuts.”

What he did not mention is that the new tax law Mr. Brady helped draft, and which Mr. Trump signed, levies a large new tax on the Astros, and similar franchises across professional sports.

The law changed a corner of the tax code that mostly applies to farmers, manufacturers and other businesses that until recently could swap certain assets like trucks and machinery tax-free. But by adding a single word to the newly written tax code — “real” — the law now allows only real estate swaps to qualify for that special treatment.

That change is meant to capture more federal revenue, in order to partly offset reductions in business and personal income tax rates. It forces manufacturers, farmers and others to pay more in capital gains taxes, if they trade an asset for something more valuable. The Joint Committee on Taxation estimates the change will raise $31 billion over the next decade.

It also means that the Astros and other sports franchises could now face capital gains taxes every time they exchange or trade their highly paid players.

More

@EasyAce

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #67 on: March 20, 2018, 07:06:10 pm »
A Curveball From the New Tax Law: It Makes Baseball Trades Harder

Jim Tankersley
The New York Times
March 19, 2018

More

@EasyAce
@Machiavelli
I saw this and a couple of other articles about it. I'm thinking of writing about it. It sort of comes under the heading of every silver lining
has its clouds . . .

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #68 on: March 20, 2018, 07:16:16 pm »
@Machiavelli
I saw this and a couple of other articles about it. I'm thinking of writing about it. It sort of comes under the heading of every silver lining
has its clouds . . .

Hitting sports franchises is more of a feature than a bug, I'd say.  Trump was being a bit of a bullet-head in bragging about it to the team in a ceremony.
I will NOT comply.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #69 on: March 20, 2018, 10:36:28 pm »
Hitting sports franchises is more of a feature than a bug, I'd say.  Trump was being a bit of a bullet-head in bragging about it to the team in a ceremony.
He was also being a bullet-head signing off on a federal budget that will end up negating that portion of the tax cuts that isn't negated
by his tariffs and threatened trade war.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #70 on: March 20, 2018, 11:18:22 pm »
He was also being a bullet-head signing off on a federal budget that will end up negating that portion of the tax cuts that isn't negated
by his tariffs and threatened trade war.

Yes, but is that a bug or a feature?  I'm in a cynical mood right now.
I will NOT comply.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #71 on: March 20, 2018, 11:31:30 pm »
Yes, but is that a bug or a feature?  I'm in a cynical mood right now.
I keep thinking, if only it were a bug . . .

! No longer available

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #72 on: March 30, 2018, 01:29:35 pm »
Yay!! The 2018 baseball season has begun!!

Top 10 moments of Opening Day 2018

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #73 on: March 30, 2018, 01:32:26 pm »
Yay!! The 2018 baseball season has begun!!

Top 10 moments of Opening Day 2018

Both our teams have a 1.000 standing today.  How cool is that?
I will NOT comply.

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #74 on: March 30, 2018, 01:34:53 pm »
Both our teams have a 1.000 standing today.  How cool is that?

Yes!!  Very cool, indeed!
 :beer: