Poll

Which current Major League Baseball parks have you been to for a game?

Angels - Angel Stadium - Anaheim, CA
5 (12.2%)
Astros - Minute Maid Park - Houston, TX
1 (2.4%)
Athletics - Oakland Alameda County Stadium - Oakland, CA
1 (2.4%)
Blue Jays - Rogers Centre - Toronto, ON
0 (0%)
Braves - Sun Trust Park - Atlanta, GA
1 (2.4%)
Brewers - Miller Park - Milwaukee, WI
0 (0%)
Cardinals - Busch Stadium III - St. Louis, MO
0 (0%)
Cubs - Wrigley Field - Chicago, IL
2 (4.9%)
Diamondbacks - Chase Field - Phoenix, AZ
4 (9.8%)
Dodgers - Dodger Stadium - Los Angeles, CA
6 (14.6%)
Giants - AT&T Park - San Francisco, CA
2 (4.9%)
Indians - Progressive Field - Cleveland, OH
1 (2.4%)
Mariners - Safeco Park - Seattle, WA
0 (0%)
Marlins - Marlins Park - Miami, FL
0 (0%)
Mets - Citi Field - Queens, NYC, NY
0 (0%)
Nationals - Nationals Park - Washington, DC
0 (0%)
Orioles - Oriole Park at Camden Yards - Baltimore, MD
3 (7.3%)
Padres - Petco Park - San Diego, CA
3 (7.3%)
Phillies - Citizens Bank Park - Philadelphia, PA
1 (2.4%)
Pirates - PNC Park - Pittsburgh, PA
1 (2.4%)
Rangers - Globe Life Park in Arlington - Arlington, TX
2 (4.9%)
Rays - Tropicana Field - St. Petersburg, FL
1 (2.4%)
Red Sox - Fenway Park - Boston, MA
1 (2.4%)
Reds - Great American Ball Park - Cincinnati, OH
2 (4.9%)
Rockies - Coors Field - Denver, CO
0 (0%)
Royals - Kauffman Stadium - Kansas City, MO
2 (4.9%)
Tigers - Comerica Park - Detroit, MI
0 (0%)
Twins - Target Field - Minneapolis, MN
1 (2.4%)
White Sox - Guaranteed Rate Field - Chicago, IL
0 (0%)
Yankees - New Yankee Stadium - The Bronx, NYC, NY
1 (2.4%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: BASEBALL 2018---BRING IT ON!  (Read 49884 times)

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: BASEBALL 2018---BRING IT ON!
« Reply #375 on: August 23, 2018, 12:18:43 pm »
IMO, it's just that Strasburg had no minor league start....merely throwing off a mound in a game simulation...ONCE!

I tend to agree to with him....it's a matter of endurance.

Thing that bothers me is that his 'game face' was expressionless.   He's definitely not happy.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #376 on: August 23, 2018, 03:03:58 pm »
Interesting entry on Dale Murphy's blog this week.

On Sunday, Aug. 12, Cubs rookie David Bote belted a two-strike, two-out, bases-loaded, walk-off grand slam to straightaway center to give Chicago a 4-3 win over the Nationals at Wrigley Field.

The next few moments? Some of the best baseball can offer.

Bote air-planed his way around the bases, chucked his helmet a mile into the North Side night, and got mobbed at home plate by teammates as the Friendly Confines erupted in delirium.

It was as exciting a moment as you’ll see in the dog days of summer.

Unfortunately, Bote, a former 18th-round pick, spent the next morning apologizing for what was surely the best, most thrilling moment of his young baseball career. The alleged offense? Bat-flipping.

“It just kind of happened,” Bote said on 670 The Score in Chicago. “I didn’t even realize I did it until I saw it on the replay. I thought, ‘Oh man, I did bat-flip it.’ Obviously, I meant no disrespect by any means. It was just the heat of the moment. I got it good, and I was wishing it out.”

Two things here. One, I don’t know if what Bote did even qualifies as a bat flip. It was more of an excited drop, a roll off the fingertips. And two – and far more importantly – no one on the Nationals complained about Bote’s theatrics, such as they were.

I understand Bote not wanting to step on anyone’s toes. After all, he’s 25 years old, this was his 34th major league game, and he’s been optioned to the minors several times this season. He just wants to keep his head down, work hard, not be a distraction, and earn his spot. I get that. I respect that.

But this unrequested apology for a bat flip that didn’t occur goes right to the heart of one of baseball’s biggest problems: its unrelenting adherence to unwritten rules, its aversion to self-expression, its allergy to fun.

Well, it’s time to put an end to that – starting now.

Yes, on this day, August 20, 2018, I would like to issue the following proclamation:

By the authority vested in me as an old, old-school, no-celebration guy from the 1980s (and as the writer of this blog), I hereby authorize bat-flipping as an acceptable demonstration of joy and exuberance. It shall no longer be deemed a sign of poor sportsmanship or disrespect for an opponent.

The game will henceforth be liberated from the oppressive, monotonous, mundane ways of its founding fathers. (If they’re offended by that, well, I won’t tell them if you won’t!) Gone is the 19th century. Upon us, a new world. With electricity. And air conditioning. And Instagram. House of Highlights has over 10 million followers for a reason. That reason? Sports are fun – for fans and athletes alike. As a side note, I’ve yet to see a bat-flip highlight – or any Major League Baseball highlight – on there. Football, basketball, and soccer dominate clips – yet another indication of baseball’s marketing woes.

As a result, baseball players shall no longer be required to play baseball as if they’re playing chess. And sipping tea. While tip-toeing in a tuxedo.

Instead, happiness will be not only permitted, but encouraged. Hitters can admire home runs. Pitchers can pump fists and shout excitedly after clutch strikeouts. We, as players, fans, and rational-thinking beings, will understand that no harm is intended by these expressions of spontaneous joy.

(Other unwritten rules will be addressed in a future blog.)

Still, we must have some ground rules to ensure proper decorum. As such:

• There will be no taunting of opponents. The absence of aggressive, showy behavior will reinforce to fans and players that no disrespect is intended during moments of excitement.

• If your team is losing, bat-flips will look weird. If your team is losing by a lot, they will look very weird. Use discretion.

• If you flip your bat for a hit that stays in the park – or for a ball that winds up being caught or goes foul – you are going to look stupid. Not just in that moment, but for all of eternity thanks to YouTube, Instagram, and the Internet. Be smart.

• If you want to earn style points while flipping your bat, there’s plenty of inspiration online.

• If you’re so inclined to involve the umpire with your bat-flip, kudos to you!

• In addition, choreographed celebrations and handshakes are not acceptable in Major League Baseball; the NFL owns that. Taking off your jersey as you’re rounding the bases is not acceptable; soccer owns that. But if your teammates want to tear your jersey off at home plate, that’s acceptable.

• If you hit a home run and want to know the launch angle or exit velocity, you must retire. As in, immediately. As in, don’t enter the clubhouse. As in, shower at home. As in, we’ll ship your belongings to you. Maybe.

Okay. We good? Good.

I bring a unique perspective to this. I’m so old, I was around when the high-five was invented. True story: When we hit home runs, we would run the bases with our heads down. When we crossed home plate, we would shake hands with the guy on-deck or maybe tip our cap to the fans. Then we would go to the dugout and literally shake hands with every single teammate and coach. All of them.

That all changed with the high-five. At the time, it was a disruptive invention, a revolutionary display of exuberance that would forever change the nature of spontaneous celebration.

I remember thinking, “Is this okay? Are we allowed to do this?”

Yes, we were. And yes, we are. It was a seminal moment in our culture’s movement toward expressions of joy and achievement.

Thus, as someone who didn’t know if a high-five was acceptable, I’m telling you: the bat-flip is okay.

Want to have some fun? Watch Allen Iverson’s practice rant – but replace every practice with bat-flips. That will sum up my opinion on the matter.

Ultimately, David Bote had nothing to apologize for. If anything, he should be praised for doing something that has only been done 27 times since 1925.

The madness must stop. When in doubt, play the game, love the game, and show the game you love it. We, as fans and players, will all be better off.

https://dalemurphy.com/bat-flips-were-talking-about-bat-flips/
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #377 on: August 23, 2018, 04:04:37 pm »
IMO, it's just that Strasburg had no minor league start....merely throwing off a mound in a game simulation...ONCE!

I tend to agree to with him....it's a matter of endurance.

Thing that bothers me is that his 'game face' was expressionless.   He's definitely not happy.
@DCPatriot
He did say after the game that it bothered him not being there for so much of the season. And who can blame him? When he's healthy, he's one of the best in the business. He may be aware, too, that if he had been healthy all season, the Nats might be sitting at the top of the NL East heap, maybe with the record the Braves have now, maybe one or two wins more.

You wonder, too, how long before he rebuilds the endurance he spoke of. And if that'll still be too late to save the Nats' season.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #378 on: August 26, 2018, 11:00:34 am »
Aye caramba!!

My NATS have gone 27 innings without scoring vs. the METS.   The METS!!!

Adding insult to injury...both the Braves and the Phillies have lost too!     A chance to get to 5.5 and they blew it!    9999hair out0000
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #379 on: August 26, 2018, 02:50:29 pm »
Aye caramba!!

My NATS have gone 27 innings without scoring vs. the METS.   The METS!!!

Adding insult to injury...both the Braves and the Phillies have lost too!     A chance to get to 5.5 and they blew it!    9999hair out0000

I hear ya.  The Team That Shall Not Be Named lost last night, so now they're tied with the Rockies for first in the NL West.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline musiclady

« Reply #380 on: September 05, 2018, 11:19:30 pm »
Finally got to a Tribe game and watched Corey Kluber take the lead in the MLB with his 18th win!

Not a high scoring game against KC, but a solid win, and very much fun to be there!
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #381 on: September 06, 2018, 12:14:07 am »
Finally got to a Tribe game and watched Corey Kluber take the lead in the MLB with his 18th win!

Not a high scoring game against KC, but a solid win, and very much fun to be there!

Looks like Nola and  Scherzer are the NL favorite for CYA this year.  Looks also ike a close battle between Kluber and Sale in the AL.

All four have had great seasons.  Would hate to have to choose.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #382 on: September 06, 2018, 01:30:31 am »
Looks like Nola and  Scherzer are the NL favorite for CYA this year.  Looks also ike a close battle between Kluber and Sale in the AL.

All four have had great seasons.  Would hate to have to choose.
Keep in mind Jacob DeGrom is having a better season than all of them except for the fact that his team can't win for him. He's had 25 straight starts surrendering three or fewer runs (and only gave up three in four starts), the first pitcher to do that in a season since the dead-ball era (1910, to be specific); he leads the Show in ERA (1.68), adjusted ERA+ (your ERA adjusted for the parks in which you pitched; deGrom's is 210), and fielding independent pitching (2.07; basically, FIP is your ERA when defensive plays behind you are removed from the equation); he's given up the lowest percentage of home runs (0.4 per nine innings); and, if his team had won all his no-decisions while he was still the pitcher of record his record right now would be 19-8. He could be, and might be, the first Cy Young Award winner since Felix Hernandez do win the award despite fewer than 15 wins. (He also leads pitchers in win probability added, with 5.1, which says even more against his sorry team.) And it's a shame that baseball's best pitcher this year pitches for a team whom he could take to court and sue for non-support and there wouldn't be a judge on the bench who'd say he wasn't justified.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 01:34:38 am by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #383 on: September 06, 2018, 02:06:52 am »
Keep in mind Jacob DeGrom is having a better season than all of them except for the fact that his team can't win for him.

No doubt deGrom has had a fine year, but I would be shocked if he pulled off the CYA this year.  The Writers tend to avoid "shoulda / coulda" aspects when voting.  For my team, Nolan Ryan's '87 season was a good example.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #384 on: September 06, 2018, 02:16:09 am »
No doubt deGrom has had a fine year, but I would be shocked if he pulled off the CYA this year.  The Writers tend to avoid "shoulda / coulda" aspects when voting.  For my team, Nolan Ryan's '87 season was a good example.

While Nola has more wins than Scherzer, Max leads in all categories.

He shouldn't be penalized if the NATS don't make the postseason.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #385 on: September 06, 2018, 03:43:40 am »
They don't have to shoulda/woulda with deGrom. Except for his won-lost record his important stats speak as well for themselves as King Felix's did.

@DCPatriot
They won't generally hold whether his team didn't make the postseason against a qualified Cy Young candidate. Think of Steve Carlton in 1972 for one example.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #386 on: September 06, 2018, 04:00:07 am »
They don't have to shoulda/woulda with deGrom. Except for his won-lost record his important stats speak as well for themselves as King Felix's did.

@DCPatriot
They won't generally hold whether his team didn't make the postseason against a qualified Cy Young candidate. Think of Steve Carlton in 1972 for one example.

I'm glad to hear you say that, @EasyAce

Nobody works harder at his craft than Max Scherzer.  No run support early on.

Like Mike Mussian did with the Orioles...he'll go inning by inning against an EASYACE, but make one mistake that leaves the yard.  Hopefully a solo shot.  Or two....  And they'd lose 3-1 or 2-0

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #387 on: September 06, 2018, 05:29:55 am »
I'm glad to hear you say that, @EasyAce

Nobody works harder at his craft than Max Scherzer.  No run support early on.

Like Mike Mussian did with the Orioles...he'll go inning by inning against an EASYACE, but make one mistake that leaves the yard.  Hopefully a solo shot.  Or two....  And they'd lose 3-1 or 2-0
@DCPatriot
More pitchers than you think won Cy Young Awards in seasons when their teams didn't make the postseason.

One across the board era:

Dean Chance (Angels, 1964)*

National League:

Mike McCormick (Giants, 1967)
Bob Gibson (Cardinals, 1970)
Ferguson Jenkins (Cubs, 1971)
Steve Carlton (Phillies, 1972)
Tom Seaver (Mets, 1975---his third)
Randy Jones (Padres, 1976)
Gaylord Perry (Padres, 1978)
Bruce Sutter (Cubs, 1979)
Steve Carlton (Phillies, 1982)
Dwight Gooden (Mets, 1985)
Steve Bedrosian (Phillies, 1987)
Mark Davis (Padres, 1989)
Greg Maddux (Cubs, 1992)
Pedro Martinez (Expos, 1997)
Eric Gagne (Dodgers, 2003)
Brandon Webb (Diamondbacks, 2006)
Jake Peavy (Padres, 2007)
Tim Lincecum (Giants, 2008, 2009)
Clayton Kershaw (Dodgers, 2011)
R.A. Dickey (Mets, 2012)

American League:

Denny McLain (Tigers, 1969)
Gaylord Perry (Indians, 1972)
Jim Palmer (Orioles, 1975, 1976)
Steve Stone (Orioles, 1980)
Roger Clemens (Red Sox, 1987, 1991)
Bret Saberhagen (Royals, 1989)
David Cone (Royals, 1994)
Pat Hentgen (Blue Jays, 1996)
Roger Clemens (Blue Jays, 1997, 1998)
Pedro Martinez (Red Sox, 2000)
Roy Halladay (Blue Jays, 2003)
Cliff Lee (Indians, 2008)
Zack Greinke (Royals, 2009)
Felix Hernandez (Mariners, 2010)
David Price (Rays, 2012)
Corey Kluber (Indians, 2014)

* Don Drysdale won the Cy Young Award in 1962 (one across the board), but his Dodgers tied for the pennant with the Giants at season's end and played a three-game playoff to decide the flag. With Sandy Koufax still ailing and not quite all the way back from his mid-season circulatory ailment, the Dodgers lost in three games and the Giants went on to lose the World Series to the Yankees.

(1962 was a good year for Dodgers winning awards they didn't deserve. There's a case to make that Cincinnati's Bob Purkey actually should have won the Cy Young Award that year, but voters then and for many years to come had a bias against pitchers whose repertoires included the knuckleball, and Purkey---having the best season of his career---threw the knuckleball almost half the time, in addition to good breaking stuff otherwise. And Maury Wills won the National League's Most Valuable Player award for no reason better than that he smashed Ty Cobb's single-season stolen base record; there's a real case to make that either Willie Mays or Frank Robinson should have been the NL's MVP that year.)

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #388 on: September 06, 2018, 05:40:13 am »
Thanks for that detailed reply, @EasyAce

Glad the Cy Young award hasn't become a popularity contest.

IMO, the King of the Hill (Max Scherzer) needs to 'demonstrably' be dethroned. 

Put the W-L record aside, it's Max's to lose.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #389 on: September 06, 2018, 06:07:55 am »
Thanks for that detailed reply, @EasyAce

Glad the Cy Young award hasn't become a popularity contest.
@DCPatriot
There were a couple of Cy Young Awards that did seem to be awarded in a kind of popularity contest. I mentioned Don Drysdale above. Drysdale was one of the most popular pitchers of his time; compared to his public image who the hell was Bob Purkey?

Bob Turley won the 1958 Cy Young Award despite Warren Spahn being arguably the season's best pitcher across the board; I suspect voters were swayed by Turley's better winning percentage and ignored how many more he walked than Spahn did. (Spahn struck out eighteen fewer hitters than Turley but also walked---wait for it---52 fewer batters. And Turley led the American League in walks, which also negated his ability to keep the hits down to a minimum.) But even if Spahn had his own reputation what was he against a Yankee even if he did win the 1957 award? What Turley had in his favour---he was tough to hit; 1958 was the fourth straight year in which he led the majors in fewest hits per nine innings. What he really had against him---in his Cy Young season his fielding independent pitching (4.04) was almost twice his ERA while he was winning 21 games. The following year, he had the same FIP . . . and his won-lost record turned up 8-11. And to think they called Eddie Yost the Walking Man . . .

Some of us still can't figure out, too, how 1990 AL Cy Young winner Bob Welch fooled everyone with those 27 wins. He wasn't exactly Sandy Koufax or Steve Carlton. He had a 2.95 ERA . . . but a 4.19 fielding-independent pitching (FIP) rate. His 1.65 K/BB ratio was under the American League average. He only struck out 125 batters all season long. So how did he win those 27 games? With the best run-support in the American League---he was given 5.21 runs per nine innings to work with, which was well over the league's 4.39 per nine average. If you look at the Cy Young Award finishers for that year and see their overall records, there's a huge case that Roger Clemens should actually have won the award.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #390 on: September 06, 2018, 02:31:04 pm »
@EasyAce
@DCPatriot

Jim Palmer/Nolan Ryan in 1973 comes to mind as a popularity contest for the Cy Young award.
Palmer had 1 more win than Ryan.
Ryan, playing on a bad Angels team, had 21 wins, 383 strikeouts, 2 no-hitter (and came close to 5!).

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #391 on: September 06, 2018, 04:25:20 pm »
@EasyAce
@DCPatriot

Jim Palmer/Nolan Ryan in 1973 comes to mind as a popularity contest for the Cy Young award.
Palmer had 1 more win than Ryan.
Ryan, playing on a bad Angels team, had 21 wins, 383 strikeouts, 2 no-hitter (and came close to 5!).
There's a case that John Hiller, the Tigers' relief pitcher, actually should have won the 1973 Cy Young Award: he had the league's best walks/hits per inning pitched rate, its best ERA (1.44, and he appeared in 65 games, and he usually pitched two innings or better while leading the league with 38 saves), and his 8.4 win probability added rate was the best in the league that season. But the Cy Young voters weren't quite ready to hand the prize to a relief pitcher.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #392 on: September 12, 2018, 02:50:08 am »

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #393 on: September 12, 2018, 03:24:22 am »
Mike Piazza, New York Mets---two-run homer in the first game in New York after 9/11, ten days later . . .

! No longer available

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #394 on: September 22, 2018, 03:00:59 am »
Did Y'all here about the Gurriel Brothers tonight?
Lourdes Gurriel hit two home runs for Toronto.
Yuli Gurriel hit 2 for the Astros, A grand slam, and a 2 run shot, has 7 RBI overall, still in the 8th.
Lourdes actually hit 3 home runs in a three straight at bats.
The last at bat he had last night, and his first two at bats today.
Real life Bash Brothers.
Elias Sports said it was the first time 2 brothers each hit two home runs on the same day.
Yule, who's no slouch, says his younger brother Lourdes is better than him.
Houston travels to Toronto next week.
I can't wait.
It ought to be a blast.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 03:01:53 am by GrouchoTex »

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #395 on: September 22, 2018, 03:11:53 am »
[/quote]

BTW...we clinched a playoff spot tonight.

Up to moment fan graph prediction of this year's WS winner

Houston-         22.6%
LA Dodgers-    20.4%
Boston-           15.1%
Cleveland-       13.1%
NYY-               10.0%
Chi Cubs-          8.5%
Atl-                   3.0%
Milwaukee-        2.8%
Oakland-           2.1%
St. Louis.           1.6%
Colorada-           0.7%
Philadelphia-       0.1%
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 03:20:48 am by catfish1957 »

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #396 on: October 08, 2018, 09:44:20 pm »
Astros Win!! Astros Win!!  Astros Win AGAIN!!!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #397 on: October 08, 2018, 09:54:53 pm »
Astros Win!! Astros Win!!  Astros Win AGAIN!!!
They tied a record, too, for most consecutive postseason games with at least one home run---they've now hit at least one in twelve straight such games.

Now to the ALCS. Where whomever they play won't be quite the pushovers the Indians proved to be.

If it's the Astros against the Red Sox, the Astros have a great chance if they can get past the Red Sox's starters and get into that none-too-steady bullpen early and often. If it's the Astros against the Yankees, it probably won't be a short set since the Yankees are a little more experienced this time around and their bullpen is better this year than it was last year. Plus both teams didn't change all that much this year, so they're each familiar with each other and the Yankees should be less prone to the mistakes they made in last year's ALCS. Astros vs. Yankees, it'll probably go seven again with no assurance the Astros make a return World Series engagement. Astros vs. Red Sox, it could be five or six with the Astros coming out on top and going back to the Series.

For now. Remember Andujar's Law: in baseball, there's just one word---you never know.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 09:59:12 pm by EasyAce »

Offline musiclady

« Reply #398 on: October 08, 2018, 10:48:03 pm »
That was seriously the worst game I've ever seen........

But only one of the two teams playing deserved to go on, so....

Do it again, Astros!
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #399 on: October 09, 2018, 01:17:27 am »
They tied a record, too, for most consecutive postseason games with at least one home run---they've now hit at least one in twelve straight such games.

Now to the ALCS. Where whomever they play won't be quite the pushovers the Indians proved to be.

If it's the Astros against the Red Sox, the Astros have a great chance if they can get past the Red Sox's starters and get into that none-too-steady bullpen early and often. If it's the Astros against the Yankees, it probably won't be a short set since the Yankees are a little more experienced this time around and their bullpen is better this year than it was last year. Plus both teams didn't change all that much this year, so they're each familiar with each other and the Yankees should be less prone to the mistakes they made in last year's ALCS. Astros vs. Yankees, it'll probably go seven again with no assurance the Astros make a return World Series engagement. Astros vs. Red Sox, it could be five or six with the Astros coming out on top and going back to the Series.

For now. Remember Andujar's Law: in baseball, there's just one word---you never know.

(1) Yankee's bullpen?  You don't think the Astros bullpen is 100% better?  Last year we didn't hardly have a bull pen at all, as evidence AJ's use of starters in relief.  This year the pen is rock solid and now have a reliable closer in Osuna, vs. last year's head case Giles.

(2) Not much change in Houston?  We added a No. 2 pitcher who might be No. 1 in 2/3 of the rest of the League (Cole).  I'll venture we have the best 1-2 starting punch in baseball (Verlander / Cole) . Our No. 3 is a recent Cy Young winner too btw.  The ALDS was prime example of that level of dominance.

In any case, you underestimated us last year, so I don't mind if you do it again.   :cool:

Like you quoted....  "You never know" We'll know soon.

@EasyAce