Poll

Which current Major League Baseball parks have you been to for a game?

Angels - Angel Stadium - Anaheim, CA
5 (12.2%)
Astros - Minute Maid Park - Houston, TX
1 (2.4%)
Athletics - Oakland Alameda County Stadium - Oakland, CA
1 (2.4%)
Blue Jays - Rogers Centre - Toronto, ON
0 (0%)
Braves - Sun Trust Park - Atlanta, GA
1 (2.4%)
Brewers - Miller Park - Milwaukee, WI
0 (0%)
Cardinals - Busch Stadium III - St. Louis, MO
0 (0%)
Cubs - Wrigley Field - Chicago, IL
2 (4.9%)
Diamondbacks - Chase Field - Phoenix, AZ
4 (9.8%)
Dodgers - Dodger Stadium - Los Angeles, CA
6 (14.6%)
Giants - AT&T Park - San Francisco, CA
2 (4.9%)
Indians - Progressive Field - Cleveland, OH
1 (2.4%)
Mariners - Safeco Park - Seattle, WA
0 (0%)
Marlins - Marlins Park - Miami, FL
0 (0%)
Mets - Citi Field - Queens, NYC, NY
0 (0%)
Nationals - Nationals Park - Washington, DC
0 (0%)
Orioles - Oriole Park at Camden Yards - Baltimore, MD
3 (7.3%)
Padres - Petco Park - San Diego, CA
3 (7.3%)
Phillies - Citizens Bank Park - Philadelphia, PA
1 (2.4%)
Pirates - PNC Park - Pittsburgh, PA
1 (2.4%)
Rangers - Globe Life Park in Arlington - Arlington, TX
2 (4.9%)
Rays - Tropicana Field - St. Petersburg, FL
1 (2.4%)
Red Sox - Fenway Park - Boston, MA
1 (2.4%)
Reds - Great American Ball Park - Cincinnati, OH
2 (4.9%)
Rockies - Coors Field - Denver, CO
0 (0%)
Royals - Kauffman Stadium - Kansas City, MO
2 (4.9%)
Tigers - Comerica Park - Detroit, MI
0 (0%)
Twins - Target Field - Minneapolis, MN
1 (2.4%)
White Sox - Guaranteed Rate Field - Chicago, IL
0 (0%)
Yankees - New Yankee Stadium - The Bronx, NYC, NY
1 (2.4%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: BASEBALL 2018---BRING IT ON!  (Read 50104 times)

Offline Polly Ticks

Re: BASEBALL 2018---BRING IT ON!
« Reply #125 on: April 05, 2018, 01:07:57 am »
BEEEEE-  UUUUUUU-  Tiful

I heard they gave everyone in the entire organization one of those.  I think that's marvelous!
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #126 on: April 05, 2018, 04:00:04 am »
BEEEEE-  UUUUUUU-  Tiful

I want one!  Gorgeous!

888high58888
"It's fun; baseball's fun."  Yogi Berra

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #127 on: April 05, 2018, 04:02:24 am »
BEEEEE-  UUUUUUU-  Tiful

I don't think my five buck bet will get me that ring, do you?

:silly:
"It's fun; baseball's fun."  Yogi Berra

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #128 on: April 05, 2018, 04:58:15 am »

I heard that owner (Crain) basically had 900 made for everyone involved with organization.  With that many, I hope to secure one on the open market at some time.  Lack of scarcity should help affordability.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 05:16:20 am by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #129 on: April 05, 2018, 02:26:12 pm »
BEEEEE-  UUUUUUU-  Tiful

I am really proud of these guys.
They took a long time to get one of these here, but when they did, they did it with a lot of class.
On the other side of that ring, it says "Houston Strong", with the Houston Skyline embossed over the left field wall of Minute Maid Park.
For those of you not familiar with that motto, "Houston Strong", it was the motto adopted during and after Hurricane Harvey.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #130 on: April 05, 2018, 02:29:29 pm »

FYI, They are selling 112 limited edition of these to the public (112 was the total number of wins it took to win it all).

The Price?

$11,211.00, which has a meaning also.

(112 total wins, 11 post season)

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #131 on: April 08, 2018, 11:37:07 pm »
Bench-clearing brawl in St. Louis!  D-backs win it, and the series and go to 7-2.  D-Backs Manager thrown out of the game...

! No longer available
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #132 on: April 09, 2018, 03:59:39 pm »
Angels rookie Shohei Ohtani nearly perfect in Big A mound debut

... Shohei Ohtani turned Angel Stadium electric, striking out 12 in seven innings in his first appearance on the mound in his home stadium. He was perfect through 79 pitches, retiring 19 consecutive before Oakland’s Marcus Semien singled sharply to left field in the seventh...

More

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #133 on: April 09, 2018, 04:07:02 pm »
Bench-clearing brawl in St. Louis!  D-backs win it, and the series and go to 7-2.  D-Backs Manager thrown out of the game...

! No longer available

Has anyone heard or know why Molina got involved in this confrontation?  Looks like he was being a punk......
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #134 on: April 09, 2018, 04:16:46 pm »
Has anyone heard or know why Molina got involved in this confrontation?  Looks like he was being a punk......

I can't figure that out.  Apparently he flipped out at something Lovullo said.  They asked Lovullo about it in the post-game press conference, and he said he didn't know what set Molina off.

There was a discussion about Molina's framing the ball, and the Umpire was falling for the scheme.  The Ump had just called an obvious low ball a strike three, and it PO'ed Paralta enough to have some words with the Umpire before Lovulla came out and the fight started.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #135 on: April 09, 2018, 04:19:45 pm »
@catfish1957
@Cyber Liberty

Apparently, when Snakes manager Torey Lovullo came out of the dugout to take up the argument for his player, he gestured
toward Molina and said something to the umpire like, "That [maternal fornicator] . . . ," which didn't exactly sit well with
Molina. Lovullo was probably lucky that a shove was all he got, after Molina barreled past the plate umpire, Tim Timmons.
Who took the absolute wisest route, by the way, and ejected no one but Lovullo. He heard Lovullo's expletive toward
Molina and didn't blame Molina one iota for blowing up. Not even when Molina bumped him lunging for Lovullo. It would
have been an automatic ejection for Lovullo, anyway, once he got past his player, A.J. Pollock.)

From semi-ancient history, the confrontation between John Hirschbeck and Roberto Alomar: Hirschbeck was foolish enough
to use the same expletive in pushing the confrontation after Alomar started walking back to his dugout saying nothing worse
than, "Just play." Hearing that expletive, Alomar exploded and you know the rest, sort of. Alomar himself said later that
it isn't a bright idea using that expletive with Latino players. I've known myself of incidents not involving baseball games but
involving instances in which referring to a Latino as a [maternal fornicator] was liable to get you a knife in your gut.

There was a postscript to the Hirschbeck-Alomar incident, even after Alomar made a formal apology. Couple of years later,
when Alomar was with the Indians and Hirschbeck's umpiring crew was assigned to a series in Cleveland, Hirschbeck
apparently couldn't stand it anymore and asked the Indians' longtime clubhouse manager what Alomar was really
like. The reply absolutely floored Hirschbeck: "He's one of the two nicest people I've ever met around here. And you're
the other one." Hirschbeck then sought Alomar out. And the two became friends. "If that's the only thing Robbie ever did
wrong in his life," Hirschbeck told reporters, "he's living a good, clean life. You forgive. You forget. You move on."

Later, Hirschbeck became one of Alomar's most public campaigners for the Hall of Fame. When Alomar didn't make it
first ballot, Hirschbeck blamed himself. "No, John," Alomar replied. "It wasn't your fault. It was mine." Alomar made
it on his second try.

Molina had a very interested party up in the Cardinals' broadcast booth, by the way: his older brother, Bengie, former
catcher and once a key man on the Angels' 2002 World Series winner: When [Lovullo] said it, oh, that’s game on. I
wanted to hold my breath and see what happened. I knew something was not right. Then I heard those words to him.
I don’t think he meant it. But you don’t say that to anybody. You just don’t say that. Let’s make it clear, he was being
offensive. Say it some other way, buddy.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 04:22:01 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #136 on: April 09, 2018, 04:20:41 pm »
I can't figure that out.  Apparently he flipped out at something Lovullo said.  They asked Lovullo about it in the post-game press conference, and he said he didn't know what set Molina off.

There was a discussion about Molina's framing the ball, and the Umpire was falling for the scheme.  The Ump had just called an obvious low ball a strike three, and it PO'ed Paralta enough to have some words with the Umpire before Lovulla came out and the fight started.

If STL wants to return to previous glory, they better worry about more substantial things than "pitch framing"

Or was this some kind of Crash Davis tactic to wake their guys up?

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #137 on: April 09, 2018, 04:26:55 pm »
@catfish1957
@Cyber Liberty

"That [maternal fornicator] . . . ," which didn't exactly sit well with
Molina.

I've sat close enough to the dugout before, to know that every 10th word from these guys is an expletive.  I think there must be some other history or factors that got Molina to snap.  Like an old tired STL team that isn't guaranteed to win the NLC crown year after year anymore.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #138 on: April 09, 2018, 04:40:39 pm »

Listening to our local sports talk station yesterday, and didn't realize that the current crop of ML umpires are "scabs", being hired after MLB fired everybody that went on strike.

The topic evolved into whether in this day of technology, why a "balls and strikes" umpire is necessary.   Yes, he's there for any plays at the plate, but a computer involving lasers should be able to work with the 'left/right' and high/low as each batter enters the box.

IMO, a player such as Trey Turner (NATS), can be a total game changer when 'wins' a base on balls, especially in late innings with the game on the line.   Last week, he was robbed of at least THREE WALKS...getting called out looking at a ball FOUR FRIGGING INCHES OFF THE PLATE!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #139 on: April 09, 2018, 06:14:09 pm »
I've sat close enough to the dugout before, to know that every 10th word from these guys is an expletive.  I think there must be some other history or factors that got Molina to snap.  Like an old tired STL team that isn't guaranteed to win the NLC crown year after year anymore.
Ballplayers use expletives the way guitarists use up strings, but there are certain lines understood not to be crossed. Molina isn't the first
Latino ballplayer to take offense at being called a maternal fornicator and he won't be the last. And when the other guys' manager
does it, that's liable to escalate even worse. That's just the way it is. I don't think there's much tense history between the Cardinals and
the Diamondbacks otherwise.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #140 on: April 09, 2018, 06:26:33 pm »
Ballplayers use expletives the way guitarists use up strings, but there are certain lines understood not to be crossed. Molina isn't the first
Latino ballplayer to take offense at being called a maternal fornicator and he won't be the last. And when the other guys' manager
does it, that's liable to escalate even worse. That's just the way it is. I don't think there's much tense history between the Cardinals and
the Diamondbacks otherwise.

No, there are no issues between the snakes and the cards that I know of either.  This was the last of a three-game series, so the snakes left town for LA after yesterday's game.  We are more likely to have a scuffle with them, because Puig is a bit of a nemesis.  He's already caused, I think, two brawls with AZ?
I will NOT comply.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #141 on: April 09, 2018, 06:31:51 pm »
Listening to our local sports talk station yesterday, and didn't realize that the current crop of ML umpires are "scabs", being hired after MLB fired everybody that went on strike.
@DCPatriot
It wasn't exactly a strike. I remember it only too well; it happened in 1999. It was a ploy dreamed up by the late executive director of the old Major League
Umpires Association, Richie Phillips, while he was trying to strong-arm baseball government into immunising umpires from accountability on the job.

Two things led to the ploy: 1) Umpire Tom Hallion was suspended for bumping Colorado pitcher Jeff Reed earlier that season, and Phillips and some umps
took offense to the suspension. (Which should make you wonder how much blue murder the umps would have screamed if a player had bumped an ump
but wasn't suspended for it.) 2) Baseball government's moves toward more umpire accountability that year included a survey taken of players, managers,
coaches, and executives rating umpires' performances. Sandy Alderson---now the Mets' general manager, then working in the commissioner's office---
said publicly, "I got worried when I found out that [team personnel] were more concerned with who was umpiring the next day than they were about who
was pitching."

To Phillips those things amounted to "humiliating" and "degrading" the umpires. He also thumped publicly about equating umpires to federal judges: "I don't
believe they should always be subject to the voter, just like federal judges are not subject to the voter." When Alderson rejoined that federal judges can be
impeached, Phillips hit the proverbial ceiling.

Phillips announced the resignations of 57 of baseball's 66 major league umpires on July 14, 1999. "[T]hey want to feel good about themselves and would
rather not continue as umpires if they have to continue under present circumstances," Phillips fumed. "They feel, in the past seven months or so, they have
been humiliated and denigrated."

In essence, Phillips — who died in 2013 — sought to proclaim and consecrate major league umpires as laws unto themselves. When the commissioner's office
asked teams to chart pitches and file reports on individual umpires' strike zones, Phillips denounced the request as "just another case of Big Brother watching
over us."

The mass resignations were in truth a bid to end-run the no-strike clause in the umpires' labour agreement with Major League Baseball. And Phillips announced
concurrently that the umpires would be employed by a new body called Umpires, Inc., who would negotiate to provide major league umpires and would also be
the sole supervisor of the arbiters as well as the first and final caller on who'd be assigned to which games.

"To owners and players alike," observed the Society for American Baseball Research analyst Doug Pappas, may he, too, rest in peace, "this demand was tantamount
to a municipal police union demanding an end to civilian control of a police force." And the ploy backfired drastically.

Alderson had one answer to the mass resignations: they were "either a threat to be ignored or an offer to be accepted." The commissioner's office accepted the offer,
and a few of the umps, after consulting their personal lawyers, yanked their resignations back fast.

Then a group of dissenting American League umps, with John Hirschbeck and Joe Brinkman leading them, denounced Phillips publicly and urging their colleagues to
do likewise. Near the end of July 1999, baseball hired 25 minor league umps all of whom had major league experience filling in for umps on their mid-year vacations.

Shortly after that, then-American League president Gene Budig (then-commissioner Bud Selig hadn't yet folded the individual league offices) said nine American League
umps who hadn't rescinded their resignations would lose their jobs come September 2. Those nine and 33 National League umps withdrew their resignations. Alas,
the league said they had only 20 openings.

Hirschbeck and Brinkman then helped form the new World Umpires Association, after the arbiters first decertified the MLUA by an almost 2-to-1 margin. The WUA
negotiated and got many of the umps who walked off Phillips's cliff re-hired; the MLUA continued representing many of the resigners. (The late Ken Kaiser, who
passed away last year, was among the ones who missed when MLB rehired half the terminated. The aforementioned Tom Hallion was re-hired at last in 2005, and
he found himself fined heavily enough after an incident with then-Tampa Bay pitcher David Price, when Price showed his frustration on the mound over a bad call
and Hallion ordered him to, and I quote, throw the f--king ball over the plate.)

Unfortunately, umpire accountability remains a dicey subject.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #142 on: April 09, 2018, 06:43:14 pm »
(Which should make you wonder how much blue murder the umps would have screamed if a player had bumped an ump but wasn't suspended for it.)

Apparently not much.  Molina almost connected with the Ump's face in the video above, trying to punch Luvello.
I will NOT comply.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #143 on: April 09, 2018, 07:11:33 pm »
Apparently not much.  Molina almost connected with the Ump's face in the video above, trying to punch Luvello.
Actually, Molina did bump plate ump Tim Timmons. And Timmons showed an excellent example of an umpire keeping his head,
seeing the thing for what it was, and not overreacting. Timmons heard Lovullo call Molina [maternal fornicator] and knew almost
by instinct that it was liable to piss Molina off that deeply, and Timmons knew Molina wasn't trying to bump him when he
lunged for Lovullo. That's an ump setting an excellent example for knowing what really was and what really wasn't.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #144 on: April 09, 2018, 07:25:37 pm »
Actually, Molina did bump plate ump Tim Timmons. And Timmons showed an excellent example of an umpire keeping his head,
seeing the thing for what it was, and not overreacting. Timmons heard Lovullo call Molina [maternal fornicator] and knew almost
by instinct that it was liable to piss Molina off that deeply, and Timmons knew Molina wasn't trying to bump him when he
lunged for Lovullo. That's an ump setting an excellent example for knowing what really was and what really wasn't.

That's also an Ump willing to forgive on the field an attempted assault and battery.   :shrug:   That's an example of something else.
I will NOT comply.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #145 on: April 09, 2018, 07:34:29 pm »
@DCPatriot
It wasn't exactly a strike. I remember it only too well; it happened in 1999. It was a ploy dreamed up by the late executive director of the old Major League
Umpires Association, Richie Phillips, while he was trying to strong-arm baseball government into immunising umpires from accountability on the job.

Two things led to the ploy: 1) Umpire Tom Hallion was suspended for bumping Colorado pitcher Jeff Reed earlier that season, and Phillips and some umps
took offense to the suspension. (Which should make you wonder how much blue murder the umps would have screamed if a player had bumped an ump
but wasn't suspended for it.) 2) Baseball government's moves toward more umpire accountability that year included a survey taken of players, managers,
coaches, and executives rating umpires' performances. Sandy Alderson---now the Mets' general manager, then working in the commissioner's office---
said publicly, "I got worried when I found out that [team personnel] were more concerned with who was umpiring the next day than they were about who
was pitching."

To Phillips those things amounted to "humiliating" and "degrading" the umpires. He also thumped publicly about equating umpires to federal judges: "I don't
believe they should always be subject to the voter, just like federal judges are not subject to the voter." When Alderson rejoined that federal judges can be
impeached, Phillips hit the proverbial ceiling.

Phillips announced the resignations of 57 of baseball's 66 major league umpires on July 14, 1999. "[T]hey want to feel good about themselves and would
rather not continue as umpires if they have to continue under present circumstances," Phillips fumed. "They feel, in the past seven months or so, they have
been humiliated and denigrated."

In essence, Phillips — who died in 2013 — sought to proclaim and consecrate major league umpires as laws unto themselves. When the commissioner's office
asked teams to chart pitches and file reports on individual umpires' strike zones, Phillips denounced the request as "just another case of Big Brother watching
over us."

The mass resignations were in truth a bid to end-run the no-strike clause in the umpires' labour agreement with Major League Baseball. And Phillips announced
concurrently that the umpires would be employed by a new body called Umpires, Inc., who would negotiate to provide major league umpires and would also be
the sole supervisor of the arbiters as well as the first and final caller on who'd be assigned to which games.

"To owners and players alike," observed the Society for American Baseball Research analyst Doug Pappas, may he, too, rest in peace, "this demand was tantamount
to a municipal police union demanding an end to civilian control of a police force." And the ploy backfired drastically.

Alderson had one answer to the mass resignations: they were "either a threat to be ignored or an offer to be accepted." The commissioner's office accepted the offer,
and a few of the umps, after consulting their personal lawyers, yanked their resignations back fast.

Then a group of dissenting American League umps, with John Hirschbeck and Joe Brinkman leading them, denounced Phillips publicly and urging their colleagues to
do likewise. Near the end of July 1999, baseball hired 25 minor league umps all of whom had major league experience filling in for umps on their mid-year vacations.

Shortly after that, then-American League president Gene Budig (then-commissioner Bud Selig hadn't yet folded the individual league offices) said nine American League
umps who hadn't rescinded their resignations would lose their jobs come September 2. Those nine and 33 National League umps withdrew their resignations. Alas,
the league said they had only 20 openings.

Hirschbeck and Brinkman then helped form the new World Umpires Association, after the arbiters first decertified the MLUA by an almost 2-to-1 margin. The WUA
negotiated and got many of the umps who walked off Phillips's cliff re-hired; the MLUA continued representing many of the resigners. (The late Ken Kaiser, who
passed away last year, was among the ones who missed when MLB rehired half the terminated. The aforementioned Tom Hallion was re-hired at last in 2005, and
he found himself fined heavily enough after an incident with then-Tampa Bay pitcher David Price, when Price showed his frustration on the mound over a bad call
and Hallion ordered him to, and I quote, throw the f--king ball over the plate.)

Unfortunately, umpire accountability remains a dicey subject.

My God... @EasyAce ....thanks so much for the detailed reply.

Again, I ask, 'Who' are you?    888high58888  (rhetorically, of course)

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #146 on: April 09, 2018, 07:48:16 pm »
My God... @EasyAce ....thanks so much for the detailed reply.
@DCPatriot
You're welcome!

In fairness, a lot of what I put up there I took from part of an article I wrote last year when Ken Kaiser died; he was one of the poor saps
who went along with Richie Phillips's suicide strategy.

Again, I ask, 'Who' are you?    888high58888  (rhetorically, of course)
I yam what I yam. ;)  :beer:

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #147 on: April 09, 2018, 07:58:30 pm »
That's also an Ump willing to forgive on the field an attempted assault and battery.   :shrug:   That's an example of something else.
I don't think Timmons would have been so forgiving if Molina or anyone else had tried deliberately to take a poke at him.
As for Molina lunging at Lovullo, it may not have been the thing you or me might have done merely upon a torrent of swearing,
but there's something sadly admirable about a man who doesn't take to being called a [maternal fornicator] gladly.

Security guards are also somewhat notorious for foul mouths among themselves. I know. I did security work for awhile while
trying to set myself up as a free-lance editor/musician here in Vegas and needed something to sit on until the latter began to
work out for me. Now, I don't have a foul mouth, ordinarily. But I got that, well, you can't avoid it among some workers' groups.
Well, one fine day I did a fill-in shift for someone on a post not my own regular post. That shift's supervisor came around to
check on us before we went out to our slots (it was a large business park; I was the rover on the post, tooling 'round in a
golf cart while ten other guys posted in the ten buildings). He introduced himself to me and then said, "You are one tall
[maternal fornicator]." (For the record, I'm 6'4" in bare feet; I was wearing a pair of special black walking shoes that day
which had an inch-thick sole/heel.)

I told him in no uncertain terms that, supervisor or no, he didn't know me well enough to address me in language like that,
and when he demanded to know who the eff I thought I was, I told him, "I'm the guy who's going to put you through
the wall if you ever talk to me that way again, that's who the eff [I really did say "eff"] I think I am." He ordered me off the
post . . . and I went right to the company field chief, who backed me all the way on it and made sure I got paid for the day
regardless. I was told later that he went out to that site and ripped that supervisor a few new ones over it. About a week
later, that supervisor found me on my regular post and said, "I'd like to apologise." I shook his hand and said, "I'd like to
accept that apology." And that was that.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #148 on: April 09, 2018, 08:38:50 pm »
I don't think Timmons would have been so forgiving if Molina or anyone else had tried deliberately to take a poke at him.  As for Molina lunging at Lovullo, it may not have been the thing you or me might have done merely upon a torrent of swearing, but there's something sadly admirable about a man who doesn't take to being called a [maternal fornicator] gladly.

Overall, I would call it a "No harm, no foul" deal because Molina didn't connect with any of his punches.  I wonder how much of the Ump's leniency was because he knew deep down it was really HIS fault.  He'd been calling strikes however the catcher framed the pitch, and he was making lousy calls on both sides the whole game.   The local announcers were astonished at some of his calls prior to that, and with the modern now-a-go-go graphics on the screen showing the strike zone, you could see the calls were off.  That particular call was at least three inches below the zone.  You could also see the bad calls on Game Day on MLB.com.

All that said, I know Luvello had to be pitched out, because he did get past the player.  It's just unseemly a little that Molina took a barrel-house swing at Luvello and got away with it.
I will NOT comply.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #149 on: April 09, 2018, 09:19:47 pm »
Overall, I would call it a "No harm, no foul" deal because Molina didn't connect with any of his punches.  I wonder how much of the Ump's leniency was because he knew deep down it was really HIS fault.  He'd been calling strikes however the catcher framed the pitch, and he was making lousy calls on both sides the whole game.   The local announcers were astonished at some of his calls prior to that, and with the modern now-a-go-go graphics on the screen showing the strike zone, you could see the calls were off.  That particular call was at least three inches below the zone.  You could also see the bad calls on Game Day on MLB.com.

All that said, I know Luvello had to be pitched out, because he did get past the player.  It's just unseemly a little that Molina took a barrel-house swing at Luvello and got away with it.
I saw the pitch that triggered the argument. It flew past the plate just under the floor of the strike zone. Pollock clearly had a beef with that
pitch, but hitters can question a pitch without getting into an argument. If the manager comes out of the dugout and gets past his player
on a pitch call, he's gone automatically. If Pollock had been next to the dugout when Lovullo came out, Lovullo would have been tossed before
he got anywhere near the ump.