Author Topic: Court rules against Oregon bakers in wedding-cake case  (Read 44249 times)

Oceander

Re: Court rules against Oregon bakers in wedding-cake case
« Reply #875 on: January 07, 2018, 10:33:28 pm »
Not even close.
The damages from a bridge or building collapse, for instance, just do not compare to hurt feelings.  You are assuming the feelings of the community are hurt, those of the average person walking down the street. Not so. The feelings hurt belong to those refused, if that even occurred and this wasn't really an attempt to win lawsuit roulette in front of a sympathetic court.
The damage inflicted to any person from the failure of a structure is random, affects anyone regardless of any other factors, and does present a real danger to the public at large, not just a couple of people who sought a service.

I remain suspicious that the homosexuals screened possible service providers with the intent of being refused in order to claim grievance and injury and collect for their hurt feeling$.

If the community saw the bakers as some sort of hazard to the health and safety of the neighborhood, all they had to do was not go there and buy goods, and the situation would have been resolved by the marketplace.

The broader reaching aspect of this is that nationwide there will be people who so resent the behaviour of those who force or punish service providers that there will be some backlash affecting businesses operated by homosexuals, so while there may be a couple of 'winners' at lawsuit roulette, in the end the overall effect may well be negative. How's that for protecting the 'community'?

It doesn’t matter that there are different harms from different things: what matters is that the harm to be prevented is a reasonable goal for a state government to pursue ( for the purposes of determining constitutionality).

Preventing invidious discrimination is a worthwhile goal for a state government to pursue, for the purposes of testing the constitutionality of a law, and that is what this law goes after.

I know you don’t like the part that addresses discrimination against homosexuals, but your dislike is not of a constitutional dimension.

Offline HoustonSam

• "That'll be the day......"
  • old times there are not forgotten
« Reply #876 on: January 07, 2018, 10:41:11 pm »
He is not interested and made that plain some time ago.

Well @INVAR I don't know what you two have said to each other in the past, and I appreciate your faithfulness to The Word.  If you are convicted that you cannot influence him for Christ, then I would just ask that you remember there are dozens, even hundreds, of others, reading these threads, and they will decide for or against Christ according to what they see of Him in us.

Peace, brother.
James 1:20

Offline Axeslinger

« Reply #877 on: January 07, 2018, 10:41:19 pm »
What question?  Restate it and I’ll consider it.
@Oceander   The dame one you avoided answering way back in reply 829 and have avoided ever since.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 10:41:42 pm by Axeslinger »
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Oceander

« Reply #878 on: January 07, 2018, 10:42:45 pm »
@Oceander   The dame one you avoided answering way back in reply 829 and have avoided ever since.

Restate it.  I’m not going to go fishing for something just because you think it’s important. 

Restate it or drop the pretense.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #879 on: January 07, 2018, 10:45:55 pm »
Cake fight still going. Swell.....

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #880 on: January 07, 2018, 10:46:56 pm »
So why should a builder be forced to build in accordance with an otherwise duly enacted building code?
Have you ever heard of public safety in building codes?

Are you possibly thinking people need to be kept safe in a baker baking a cake?  Ah, you must think poisoning those he has issues with.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #881 on: January 07, 2018, 10:51:32 pm »
It doesn’t matter that there are different harms from different things: what matters is that the harm to be prevented is a reasonable goal for a state government to pursue ( for the purposes of determining constitutionality).

Preventing invidious discrimination is a worthwhile goal for a state government to pursue, for the purposes of testing the constitutionality of a law, and that is what this law goes after.

I know you don’t like the part that addresses discrimination against homosexuals, but your dislike is not of a constitutional dimension.
Actually, if I hit you with a ping pong ball, it may be an annoyance, it may even damage you. If I hit you with a large rock, it may kill you and that makes it assault with a deadly weapon.

Preventing a building from falling over on those walking down the street (not to mention the occupants thereof) definitely takes precedence over hurting the feelings of the builders by telling them the work is structurally inadequate.

As far as invidious discrimination goes, what about the now invidious discrimination against Christian Bakers who can be the subject pf pecuniary penalties for not providing something they find religiously, and in keeping with well-established (millennia old) scripture , to be an abomination. Where is their relief for the assault of the Right of Christians to freely associate, engage (or not) in commerce, and to practice their trade in conformity with their Christian beliefs?

The court has put the celebration of deviant sexuality above well known and established religious belief, and fined the believers for their beliefs. Christians may well not want a religious war, but like it or not, we are being hunted in the courts already for simply following our beliefs. Yet somehow, that isn't "persecution" and isn't a violation of the First Amendment Rights of Christians. Try that with other religions. Would they be similarly sought as targets for coercion? (Let's see some homosexuals sue a Muslim bakery sometime).

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Oceander

« Reply #882 on: January 07, 2018, 10:51:54 pm »
Have you ever heard of public safety in building codes?

Are you possibly thinking people need to be kept safe in a baker baking a cake?  Ah, you must think poisoning those he has issues with.

It’s too bad you refuse to see the underlying issue, so strong is your hatred for homosexuals.

Oceander

« Reply #883 on: January 07, 2018, 10:53:11 pm »
Actually, if I hit you with a ping pong ball, it may be an annoyance, it may even damage you. If I hit you with a large rock, it may kill you and that makes it assault with a deadly weapon.

Preventing a building from falling over on those walking down the street (not to mention the occupants thereof) definitely takes precedence over hurting the feelings of the builders by telling them the work is structurally inadequate.

As far as invidious discrimination goes, what about the now invidious discrimination against Christian Bakers who can be the subject pf pecuniary penalties for not providing something they find religiously, and in keeping with well-established (millennia old) scripture , to be an abomination. Where is their relief for the assault of the Right of Christians to freely associate, engage (or not) in commerce, and to practice their trade in conformity with their Christian beliefs?

The court has put the celebration of deviant sexuality above well known and established religious belief, and fined the believers for their beliefs. Christians may well not want a religious war, but like it or not, we are being hunted in the courts already for simply following our beliefs. Yet somehow, that isn't "persecution" and isn't a violation of the First Amendment Rights of Christians. Try that with other religions. Would they be similarly sought as targets for coercion? (Let's see some homosexuals sue a Muslim bakery sometime).

If you intentionally hit me with a ping pong ball, I will get at least nominal damages, even if I didn’t suffer any great injury.  It’s an intentional tort.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #884 on: January 07, 2018, 10:57:29 pm »
If you intentionally hit me with a ping pong ball, I will get at least nominal damages, even if I didn’t suffer any great injury.  It’s an intentional tort.
You, of course, are right. I might hurt your feelings, especially if there was a Bible verse on the ping pong ball.
Now, how does that compare with keeping a building from collapsing?

And thank you for reminding me why I went into a respectable profession.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Mod1

« Reply #885 on: January 07, 2018, 11:03:33 pm »
Hi all.  This monster is approaching 900 posts, and there are still major arguments over questions raised in posts numbered around 500.  There have been no new arguments in many days and hundreds of posts, so I think we've covered all the ground we're going to on this topic.  Let's all go find new topics to fight over because this one has been done to death.

In other words, I'm officially bored.

Mod1 (The Excitable One)

:boring: