Author Topic: Court rules against Oregon bakers in wedding-cake case  (Read 44634 times)

Online roamer_1

Re: Court rules against Oregon bakers in wedding-cake case
« Reply #625 on: January 04, 2018, 11:07:26 pm »
People have used THEIR interpretations of the Bible, to justify:

--Conscientious objector status

--Slavery, discrimination

--Prohibition of mixed race marriage.

--Protestantism, Judaism (Spanish, Italian, French Inquisitions.)

--Avoiding medical treatment (Christian Scientist)

Just because there are many (often contradictory) interpretations of biblical phrases and passages, does NOT make them binding laws on all of the members of a society.

--If you don't "believe" in pork, don't eat pork.
--If you don't believe in mixed-race marriages, don't enter into one.
--If you don't approve of same-sex unions, don't enter into one.

Stone dead wrong, and here's why: When you enter my property, you are no longer on the public square. You are in my house.
If I do not have religious freedom in my own house, there is no religious freedom at all.

And as far as your offense might overtake you in my house, you are free to leave my house, unmolested, but you are not free to make me think or do differently than my conscience dictates.

Be careful what you wish for.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #626 on: January 04, 2018, 11:09:12 pm »
You should go read Aquinas’ writings on law, the relationship between natural law and human law, and the obligation to obey human law, even if the human law is not fully consonant with natural law.
no thank you, will not read.

However, did Thomas say we should adhere to laws that are immoral in God's eyes?  That appears to be what you are suggesting.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online roamer_1

« Reply #627 on: January 04, 2018, 11:09:16 pm »
How about if you don't like "bigots", then don't do business with them.

Gee, that seems awful simple don't it?

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #628 on: January 04, 2018, 11:14:42 pm »
If the baker finds it spiritually intolerable to bake a cake that will be used at a lesbian wedding, then he shouldn’t be baking cakes in a state where he can be compelled to offer his advertised goods and services to all customers without discrimination. 

He can’t have his cake, and eat it, too.
and therein lies the heart of a republic.

A state is sovereign in areas like this.  Once the feds are allowed total control, it is game over for Americans who desire freedom, as the only alternative is to leave the USA
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 11:15:29 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online roamer_1

« Reply #629 on: January 04, 2018, 11:16:43 pm »
True enough, for now.  But the problem with absolutists and absolutism, is there inevitably comes a point where the absolutist convinces himself that he is morally entitled, nay, morally obligated, to defend himself from what he sees as the immorality of the world, using any means necessary, including violence. 

I’ll take forcing the occasional baker to bake a cake for a lesbian wedding over having to worry about the absolutist-next-door any day of the week, and twice on Sundays.

The absolutist in this case is the homo.

Oceander

« Reply #630 on: January 04, 2018, 11:22:24 pm »
The absolutist in this case is the homo.

Nope.  The “homo” just wants to be treated fairly, like everyone else.  The absolutist is the baker who thinks his snowflake Christianity should give him a waiver on laws he doesn’t like. 

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #631 on: January 04, 2018, 11:24:10 pm »
If the baker finds it spiritually intolerable to bake a cake that will be used at a lesbian wedding, then he shouldn’t be baking cakes in a state (country) where he can be compelled to offer his advertised goods and services to all customers without discrimination. 

Hence the actual application of what scripture references as the Mark of the Beast.

If you do not act and think according to the way the Beast demands, one is not permitted to make a living.

It is a truism that liberty dies to thunderous applause.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Oceander

« Reply #632 on: January 04, 2018, 11:24:35 pm »
no thank you, will not read.

However, did Thomas say we should adhere to laws that are immoral in God's eyes?  That appears to be what you are suggesting.

In a word, yes.  In more detail, yes, if adherence would not require one to directly engage in prohibited conduct, and the “scandal” - Aquinas’ term of art - caused by disobedience was greater than the scandal caused by obedience. 

Online roamer_1

« Reply #633 on: January 04, 2018, 11:25:27 pm »
Nope.  The “homo” just wants to be treated fairly, like everyone else.  The absolutist is the baker who thinks his snowflake Christianity should give him a waiver on laws he doesn’t like.

Bullshit. Like 'everyone else', If I am treated unfairly, I go somewhere else, whether or not the law.
That'a what 'everyone else' does.

Oceander

« Reply #634 on: January 04, 2018, 11:26:01 pm »
Hence the actual application of what scripture references as the Mark of the Beast.

If you do not act and think according to the way the Beast demands, one is not permitted to make a living.

/snicker

Yeah, the “Beast” is really concerned with everyone getting a fair shake, which is all this law amounts to. 

Online roamer_1

« Reply #635 on: January 04, 2018, 11:26:23 pm »

BUMP THAT.

Oceander

« Reply #636 on: January 04, 2018, 11:28:30 pm »
Bullshit. Like 'everyone else', If I am treated unfairly, I go somewhere else, whether or not the law.

Bull.  Let’s put that to the test: I have a piece of real estate in Brooklyn I’ll sell to you for $200,000.  A real steal so to speak.  If I get your money but don’t transfer the property, are you going to just go look elsewhere to buy a bridge, or are you going to sue to get your money back?

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #637 on: January 04, 2018, 11:28:45 pm »

No they don't. Ever hear of Yelp?

Online roamer_1

« Reply #638 on: January 04, 2018, 11:30:30 pm »
Bull.  Let’s put that to the test: I have a piece of real estate in Brooklyn I’ll sell to you for $200,000.  A real steal so to speak.  If I get your money but don’t transfer the property, are you going to just go look elsewhere to buy a bridge, or are you going to sue to get your money back?

That is breach of contract - Money has changed hands. Different story.

Oceander

« Reply #639 on: January 04, 2018, 11:31:58 pm »

Funny how the only thing that gets your panties in a twist are laws that relate to gays.  You seem perfectly happy with all manner of other laws that prohibit making a living unless you adhere to the states rules.  At least, you haven’t said anything about them. 

Why is it acceptable to require builders to comply with a building code, on pain of fines and possible jail, but not fine to require that bakers who offer to sell cakes to the public really mean what they say and sell to all comers with money to cover the price?

Oceander

« Reply #640 on: January 04, 2018, 11:33:14 pm »
That is breach of contract - Money has changed hands. Different story.

It’s also a matter of unfair treatment.  That makes it exactly the same. 

Online roamer_1

« Reply #641 on: January 04, 2018, 11:35:18 pm »
No they don't. Ever hear of Yelp?

NOPE.

But I take it it is the internet version of 'word of mouth'...
That has always been present.
And that is the risk one takes providing poor service.

so the homo tells all his homo friends I refuse to serve homos, and they all quit coming to my store.
I don't see a problem with that.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #642 on: January 04, 2018, 11:42:41 pm »
It’s also a matter of unfair treatment.  That makes it exactly the same.

No it doesn't - the 'unfair treatment' is breach of contract, which is what in fact makes it actionable.
There is no breach if there is no contract. There is no damage, and there is no standing.

As in this case.

If someone refuses to do business with me, even with extreme prejudice, even with hard words and hurt feelings, It is simple enough to go where my business is wanted. I might kick his ass at some point, but my business would simply go elsewhere.

That is what folks do.

Offline HoustonSam

• "That'll be the day......"
  • old times there are not forgotten
« Reply #643 on: January 04, 2018, 11:43:56 pm »
Funny how the only thing that gets your panties in a twist are laws that relate to gays.  You seem perfectly happy with all manner of other laws that prohibit making a living unless you adhere to the states rules.  At least, you haven’t said anything about them. 

Why is it acceptable to require builders to comply with a building code, on pain of fines and possible jail, but not fine to require that bakers who offer to sell cakes to the public really mean what they say and sell to all comers with money to cover the price?

Building codes exist to protect public safety.  No issues of public safety are in play when a baker demurs to prepare a wedding cake which violates his conscience.

Had the bakers argued that they were exempt from health department regulations on a commercial kitchen due to religious beliefs, I would agree that First Amendment freedoms did not apply.
James 1:20

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #644 on: January 04, 2018, 11:45:50 pm »

On the money!   ^-^
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Oceander

« Reply #645 on: January 04, 2018, 11:47:19 pm »
No it doesn't - the 'unfair treatment' is breach of contract, which is what in fact makes it actionable.
There is no breach if there is no contract. There is no damage, and there is no standing.

As in this case.

If someone refuses to do business with me, even with extreme prejudice, even with hard words and hurt feelings, It is simple enough to go where my business is wanted. I might kick his ass at some point, but my business would simply go elsewhere.

That is what folks do.

It’s only actionable because positive law says it is. Positive law in Oregon says that discriminating against homosexuals in public accommodations is actionable, so on that level they are precisely the same. 

Online roamer_1

« Reply #646 on: January 04, 2018, 11:50:00 pm »
It’s only actionable because positive law says it is. Positive law in Oregon says that discriminating against homosexuals in public accommodations is actionable, so on that level they are precisely the same.

No they aren't.
One is real loss of hard property.
The other is no loss at all.

Oceander

« Reply #647 on: January 04, 2018, 11:50:29 pm »
Building codes exist to protect public safety.  No issues of public safety are in play when a baker demurs to prepare a wedding cake which violates his conscience.

Had the bakers argued that they were exempt from health department regulations on a commercial kitchen due to religious beliefs, I would agree that First Amendment freedoms did not apply.

And the Oregon anti-discrimination law serves to protect the public as well by preventing unscrupulous businesses from unfairly discriminating against members of the public on the basis of things like sexual orientation.  The people of Oregon, through their elected representatives, duly deliberated and concluded that was a problem of sufficient magnitude that it warranted legal redress.

But more to the point, both entail forcing someone to do something they may not want to do at the threat of losing their livelihood.  So they are identical where it counts, and if you can’t abide by the restriction on the baker you are committed to being against the restrictions on the builder.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 11:53:37 pm by Oceander »

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #648 on: January 04, 2018, 11:50:33 pm »

Yes and according to ‘the plan’ you know it’s going to get a whole lot worse before anything changes.  Why constantly bemoan the state of things when your religion tells you that’s how it’s going to be and you can’t change it?  I’m seriously asking.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Oceander

« Reply #649 on: January 04, 2018, 11:51:40 pm »
No they aren't.
One is real loss of hard property.
The other is no loss at all.

Sez you.  Others say differently, including the people of Oregon.  Such is life.