Author Topic: Court rules against Oregon bakers in wedding-cake case  (Read 44632 times)

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Court rules against Oregon bakers in wedding-cake case
« Reply #350 on: January 03, 2018, 06:11:12 pm »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #351 on: January 03, 2018, 06:17:14 pm »
Here is the statement of facts from the Oregon Supreme Court's opinion (I added the emphasis):

Here's a link to the opinion itself:  http://www.publications.ojd.state.or.us/docs/A159899.pdf

So, in sum:

(i) the bakery advertised to the general public that it made wedding cakes, and

(ii) the complainants were already familiar with the bakery because they were familiar with the cakes that it baked, since the mother of one had purchased a cake from the bakery before for the mother's own wedding.

Them's the facts, jack.

Sounds like Sweet Cakes advertised.  Not sure that's the case at hand, but the principle you described certainly applies to Sweet Cakes.

No fear here, except of a government using its bureaucracy to force people to do things. 

If they did things to bring it on themselves, I guess that's their problem.  But I disagree that they should have small punishments.  Every time the other poster you like mentions any of the Christians in these stories, they're "bigots."  You have called them and posters on this forum who support them "hateful."  Seems to me that if they are that evil they should receive enough punishment to put them out of business, and the bureaucracies involved seem to think so too.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #352 on: January 03, 2018, 06:19:23 pm »
I usually support your opinions as clear, rational and well thought-out.  Can't do it here or on this topic in general @Jazzhead .

There's a motivator to these posts that I'd rather not dissect. Let's just say it's your right to have this apparent prejudice and my right to disagree with it.  And let's leave it there.

No problem, RIV.  I usually support your opinions as well, and for similar reasons.   

I'm not sure what "apparent prejudice" you're referring to.   Is it that I'm prejudiced against Christians or prejudiced in favor of Muslims?   I think neither is accurate - my real prejudice is against the infection of identity politics and its increasing embrace by the right as well as the left.    To make America great again we need to return to the idea that we're a melting pot, not a mosaic.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #353 on: January 03, 2018, 06:23:30 pm »
Here is the statement of facts from the Oregon Supreme Court's opinion (I added the emphasis):

Here's a link to the opinion itself:  http://www.publications.ojd.state.or.us/docs/A159899.pdf

So, in sum:

(ii) the complainants were already familiar with the bakery because they were familiar with the cakes that it baked, since the mother of one had purchased a cake from the bakery before for the mother's own wedding.

Them's the facts, jack.
"(i) the bakery advertised to the general public that it made wedding cakes, and

(ii) the complainants were already familiar with the bakery because they were familiar with the cakes that it baked, since the mother of one had purchased a cake from the bakery before for the mother's own wedding"

A manufacturer/business advertises to the general public that it makes  certain types of widgets.
A customer goes to the business and asks the manufacturer to make a different kind of widget. The business says it only makes a particular type of widget, and the customer is free to buy any of those.
The customer demands that the manufacturer make them a special kind of widget whether the business wants to make it or  not.
The business says it reserves the constitutional right to make whatever types of widgets it wants to make. Like every business has done since the founding of the country and before.
The customer sues and uses the force of the gov. i.e men with guns to force the business to make them a specially designed widget.
Them's the facts Jack.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #354 on: January 03, 2018, 06:24:24 pm »

So, in sum:

Them's the facts, jack.

What has the term 'wedding' meant for the last 200 years in America?  Legally and practically
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #355 on: January 03, 2018, 06:32:25 pm »
"(i) the bakery advertised to the general public that it made wedding cakes, and

(ii) the complainants were already familiar with the bakery because they were familiar with the cakes that it baked, since the mother of one had purchased a cake from the bakery before for the mother's own wedding"

A manufacturer/business advertises to the general public that it makes  certain types of widgets.
A customer goes to the business and asks the manufacturer to make a different kind of widget. The business says it only makes a particular type of widget, and the customer is free to buy any of those.
The customer demands that the manufacturer make them a special kind of widget whether the business wants to make it or  not.
The business says it reserves the constitutional right to make whatever types of widgets it wants to make. Like every business has done since the founding of the country and before.
The customer sues and uses the force of the gov. i.e men with guns to force the business to make them a specially designed widget.
Them's the facts Jack.

No, the analogy is inaccurate.   The customer asked for exactly what the baker advertised to provide - a cake for a wedding.   The baker's services weren't limited to cakes for only weddings his religion approved of - and the customer placed no artistic demands whatsoever on the baker before service was refused. 

Litigation is such matters is unfortunate, but there should be no mistake regarding who has been victimized here.   The customer didn't ask for a "special kind of widget",  but the same exact kind of widget the baker said he made.  And service was refused for no other reason than the customer said she wanted a cake for her own wedding.     

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #356 on: January 03, 2018, 06:44:21 pm »
I'd like to point out the case under discussion is NOT about "Sweet Cakes" bakery, which was introduced in this argument as a result of my questions. 

This case being so well defined does not apply.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #357 on: January 03, 2018, 06:44:57 pm »
If the bakery owner condemned homosexuality while denying the order, that is clearly discrimination so long as he knew the customer was a homosexual. It would be similar to refusing to bake a cake for a mixed-race couple.
If the bakery owner disagreed politically with the order, that is not discrimination because their sexual orientation is irrelevant in the matter. That's no different than refusing to bake a cake with a swastika on it. If a homosexual had asked for the swastika cake, their sexuality would be irrelevant.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #358 on: January 03, 2018, 06:49:39 pm »
No, the analogy is inaccurate.   The customer asked for exactly what the baker advertised to provide - a cake for a wedding.   The baker's services weren't limited to cakes for only weddings his religion approved of - and the customer placed no artistic demands whatsoever on the baker before service was refused. 

Litigation is such matters is unfortunate, but there should be no mistake regarding who has been victimized here.   The customer didn't ask for a "special kind of widget",  but the same exact kind of widget the baker said he made.  And service was refused for no other reason than the customer said she wanted a cake for her own wedding.   
It doesn't matter one g-damned difference what if the business didn't specify it didn't make certain kinds of widgets. It can make whatever it wants to make without being told to make one by a customer.
Let me repeat: A CUSTOMER HAS ABSOLUTELY NO G-DAMNED RIGHT TO TELL A BUSINESS HOW TO MAKE THEIR PRODUCTS!!! Is that clear enough for you?

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #359 on: January 03, 2018, 06:51:56 pm »
If the bakery owner condemned homosexuality while denying the order, that is clearly discrimination so long as he knew the customer was a homosexual. It would be similar to refusing to bake a cake for a mixed-race couple.
If the bakery owner disagreed politically with the order, that is not discrimination because their sexual orientation is irrelevant in the matter. That's no different than refusing to bake a cake with a swastika on it. If a homosexual had asked for the swastika cake, their sexuality would be irrelevant.

Agreed.   Political ideology is not a protected classification.   That's probably why the coffee shop owner could, legally if rather obnoxiously, refuse service to customers who had been distributing pictures of aborted fetuses.     

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #360 on: January 03, 2018, 06:55:27 pm »
@txradioguy

See, that's one of the things that really bugs me about this story:  The dearth of evidence.  I'm of the belief these fellows most certainly targeted the bakery (In this case and in Colorado).   Even that other poster does not dispute this.  What bothers me is the fact that none of these "customers" did the slightest evidence gathering to support their cases, that I know of.  Where are the pictures of the advertisements we keep hearing about?  Screen shots?  And why on Earth would these fellows go through all this trouble and not record their interactions with the bakery staff, either video or audio?

We'd be seeing the ads and video, if they were detrimental to the bakeries, as we have in the story I linked about the coffee shop.  But we're not.  Nothing.

The dog didn't bark.

Agree 100%.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #361 on: January 03, 2018, 06:56:25 pm »
Let me repeat: A CUSTOMER HAS ABSOLUTELY NO G-DAMNED RIGHT TO TELL A BUSINESS HOW TO MAKE THEIR PRODUCTS!!! Is that clear enough for you?

And the customer at issue made no such demand.  She made no demand to affix same-sex wedding toppers, no demand to create a rainbow flag out of icing, no demand to affix a slogan offensive to the baker's religion.  All she wanted was a cake - the same wedding cake the baker advertised to provide.  Her sin was to state that the cake was for her own wedding, to which the baker arbitrarily objected. 

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #362 on: January 03, 2018, 06:57:03 pm »
But the bakery DIDN'T refuse to bake a cake, it refused to bake a cake to a customer's wishes. That is right reserved to any business to make or not make their product.
For the same reason I can't order my cable tv company to put on the shows I want. I can only go to another cable or satellite tv business.
Bigotry has nothing to do with it.  It's irrelevant (or should be) in all legal cases.  The right of a business to manufacture what it wants to manufacture should be inviolate.
If bigotry were a legal consideration, then any business that makes racist articles could be sued out of existence. They can't be.  They have the right to be bigoted, racist, jerks, whatever.  The customer has the right to not purchase something from the bigoted, racist business. That's how freedom works.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #363 on: January 03, 2018, 06:57:07 pm »
I'd like to point out the case under discussion is NOT about "Sweet Cakes" bakery, which was introduced in this argument as a result of my questions. 

The only way it does apply is the fact that in that Colorado case the DoJ stepped in on the side of the bakery being targeted.

The defendants in the Oregon...if their lawyer is even marginally decent...can take the Fed's amicus brief and use their words as evidence in his case to get the appeals court ruling in Oregon overturned.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #364 on: January 03, 2018, 06:58:54 pm »
@txradioguy

I don't have a clue how anyone could go about proving that,but I also believe it to be the case that they specifically targeted a Christia-owned bakery in order to gain a little fame and a lot of money.  Otherwise if all they wanted was their homo-specific cake, they would have just gone to a bakery that didn't care to have their cake baked.

It's somewhere in the legal transcripts.  Those kinds of important facts come out in discovery before anything goes to trial...when the plaintiffs as well as the defendants are deposed by the lawyers.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #365 on: January 03, 2018, 07:00:19 pm »
You and Jazz have both made the case that "The bakery has to provide services advertised," but nobody has produced any evidence of what was advertised.  According to the part of your post I underlined, the advertising here was word-of-mouth.  The baker was to be forced to bake the cake because he did so for the mother of one of them.

@Cyber Liberty at the end of the day this is a case dealing with contractual law.

And no one can be forced to enter a contract against their will.  The law is very plain on that.

Oceander

« Reply #366 on: January 03, 2018, 07:03:06 pm »

Actually, it does.  Sweetcakes is the Oregon bakery in question. 

Oceander

« Reply #367 on: January 03, 2018, 07:04:29 pm »
It’s amazing how many people are so afraid of the facts. Read the court’s opinion to find out exactly what the baker offered to the public: customized wedding cakes. 

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #368 on: January 03, 2018, 07:06:31 pm »
Actually, it does.  Sweetcakes is the Oregon bakery in question.

Yes, I got crossed up because there are so many cases headed to court at once.  I'm just going to sit out for awhile....
I will NOT comply.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #369 on: January 03, 2018, 07:08:09 pm »
It’s amazing how many people are so afraid of the facts. Read the court’s opinion to find out exactly what the baker offered to the public: customized wedding cakes.

These court things are not always because of fear to see facts.  Courts have become highly unpredictable to us regular folks, and it's become a matter of distrust, not fear.
I will NOT comply.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #370 on: January 03, 2018, 07:10:38 pm »
And the customer at issue made no such demand.  She made no demand to affix same-sex wedding toppers, no demand to create a rainbow flag out of icing, no demand to affix a slogan offensive to the baker's religion.  All she wanted was a cake - the same wedding cake the baker advertised to provide.  Her sin was to state that the cake was for her own wedding, to which the baker arbitrarily objected.
Then the baker is still baking a special cake. The article has not yet been made. For the same reason I wouldn't bake a cake for a wedding of two avowed Nazis. Neither would you. Nazism is legal by the way. So is communism, Satanism, and a whole slew of other objectionable  behaviors.
They can buy whatever is present in the shop, but I wouldn't bake something special for them.
Hard to believe the happy couple didn't want something on the cake.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #371 on: January 03, 2018, 07:15:41 pm »

And a business has no right refusing service to someone because of their race or religion.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #372 on: January 03, 2018, 07:20:06 pm »
And a business has no right refusing service to someone because of their race or religion.

Being gay isn't a race...and it certainly flies in the face of religion and religious teachings.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #373 on: January 03, 2018, 07:20:08 pm »
Hard to believe the happy couple didn't want something on the cake.

Maybe they did, maybe they didn't.   We'll never know, because service was denied before any discussion of customization or artistry could take place.   

I keep coming back to this because I think it's crucial to resolution of the case.  If the customer had asked for an offensive message to be placed on the cake,  I'm sure all would agree that it was within the baker's right to refuse.   

Offline HoustonSam

• "That'll be the day......"
  • old times there are not forgotten
« Reply #374 on: January 03, 2018, 07:30:04 pm »
Maybe they did, maybe they didn't.   We'll never know, because service was denied before any discussion of customization or artistry could take place.   

I keep coming back to this because I think it's crucial to resolution of the case.  If the customer had asked for an offensive message to be placed on the cake,  I'm sure all would agree that it was within the baker's right to refuse.   

Offensive to whom?  The entire concept of the ceremony was offensive to the baker, which is why the baker refused.  Who gets to decide what is offensive enough to enable the baker to refuse service?

The proposed cake was by definition custom because it had not yet been created but was to be discussed specifically, not as a standard item already in the baker's shop.  Anything already in the shop was not custom and was available for the homosexual couple to purchase; anything they needed to specify would by definition be custom, without regard for any specific message on the cake, whether or not such a message had been discussed.

Or is it your position that the baker could have legally refused once the customers had requested a specific message on the cake?
James 1:20