Author Topic: Court rules against Oregon bakers in wedding-cake case  (Read 44684 times)

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: Court rules against Oregon bakers in wedding-cake case
« Reply #200 on: January 03, 2018, 01:05:30 am »
To tell the truth, I'm conflicted too, if there was some sort of advertisement, but it's odd one has not been produced.  Of course, we're not privy to all the evidence, but it bothers me a little what's not available.  In both these cases, all sorts of claims have been made about what was advertised, and what was said to the complainants, yet there are no pictures of ads on the walls, and no videos (or audio) of these encounters. 

I find that a little difficult to believe when it's patently obvious the aggrieved parties sought out these businesses to entrap them.

Amen! 
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #201 on: January 03, 2018, 01:05:31 am »
/snicker

Go find me a case where a “mission” statement is a legally binding restriction on what an agency can do.
So you fail, the Oregon govt fails, and this is a trumped up event, like we all know it is.

You know, acting stupid is not the best way to actually win an argument.  It, well, makes you look stupid.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline HoustonSam

• "That'll be the day......"
  • old times there are not forgotten
« Reply #202 on: January 03, 2018, 01:06:49 am »

Nope, you're right.  My bad.   I'm conflicted as hell on this.

@DCPatriot

I respect a man who can recognize and admit his own uncertainty.  Something I struggle with at times.

I figured if you advertise the service, you're obligated to the point you can't refuse on religious/sexual beliefs.  So bake the cake.

While I disagree on this point, I believe your position is not unreasonable.

I generally hate the emojis, but in this case I'll make an exception as an offer of good will :  :beer:

James 1:20

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #203 on: January 03, 2018, 01:07:54 am »
Isn't it just one particular Christian denomination that you mean to say?

Because several Christian denominations are okay with same sex unions.

Liberal apostate churches accept homos.

Any orthodox Christian denomination denounces homosexuality by definition. To include Catholic, Orthodox, and every Protestant flavor.

« Reply #204 on: January 03, 2018, 01:08:17 am »
Oceander has made it quite clear that he opposes the monetary penalty imposed on the baker.    I do as well.   The status of the baker's acts as unlawful was unclear, and to exact a punitive sanction in such a context is immoral and, well, just plain lousy.   Have the baker pay the plaintiffs' attorney's fees and promise not to do it again.  That would be justice.  Not running the baker out of business.   
You also failed to read the mission statement..  No where can one find that agency has the authority to pursue such an event.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #205 on: January 03, 2018, 01:12:00 am »
Amen!

:beer:

I've learnt to be suspicious of dogs that don't bark...I wish more courts would read more Sherlock Holmes some days....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

« Reply #206 on: January 03, 2018, 01:12:35 am »
Oh, lighten up Francis.   The customer "demanded" no more and no less than what the baker advertised to provide.   

It's not tyranny to live up to one's word.
Why is it you continue to think the Pope is writing the messages on this forum?

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #207 on: January 03, 2018, 01:12:46 am »
I've seen the argument several times here on the forum...and scanned the threads.  Nobody rebuts the charge that the bakers refused a request for a "special cake".   It was implied that a sign was on the premises that advertised they could accommodate special orders.  ....

Actually, based on the testimony before the SC, it appears the baker did not refuse a "special (or customized) cake" but a cake for an occasion (same sex marriage) that he did not support for religious reasons.

<snip>

The Supreme Court on Tuesday heard arguments in Masterpiece Cakeshop v. Colorado Civil Rights Commission. In 2012, a same-sex couple, Charlie Craig and David Mullins, was denied a wedding cake by Lakewood, Colo., baker Jack Phillips. The baker said he would sell the gay couple other kinds of cakes, but he could not in good conscience sell them a wedding cake, since same-sex weddings violate his religious beliefs.

The couple filed a complaint with the Colorado Civil Rights Commission, which found that the cakeshop violated the state’s anti-discrimination law. When the state’s Supreme Court agreed with the gay couple, the baker appealed to the Supreme Court.

<snip>

At the heart of the baker’s case, his lawyers argue, is a battle over expression: not religious, per se, but artistic.

“Phillips is willing to serve any and all customers. He objects only to expressing certain messages through his custom art,” said ADF Senior Counsel Jim Campbell in a statement. “Jack should have that basic freedom.”

Any law that would otherwise compel him is bad for artists, said ADF’s Kristen Waggoner. Such “laws are being used not only to silence, not only to punish, but to ruin creative professionals that don’t agree with the government’s ideology on marriage.”

As both parties have maintained, the couple left Phillips’s bakery before discussing the cake’s design, including any language they would have wanted included. But Waggoner says the act of crafting a cake that would be used during a same-sex wedding ceremony is an act of expression.

More: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/acts-of-faith/wp/2017/12/05/wedding-cake-what-you-need-to-know-about-the-highly-anticipated-supreme-court-ruling/?utm_term=.b3f1b83c7211

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #208 on: January 03, 2018, 01:13:08 am »
Better not tell him where your business is, because he'll have some Lavender Mafia types over to your place to scream "Bigot, but I don't want to put you out of business!" then sue you for $250K.

I'm mindful of my surroundings.

Idiots who think they can attempt a mugging are not going to like the reaction.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #210 on: January 03, 2018, 01:16:18 am »
Again, the big “L” libertarian in me says that the free market should rule and alone decide the winners and losers and that no one should be forced to engage in any business transaction or in employment, hiring decisions for that matter, with anyone they don’t want to engage with or object to and for whatever reason.  I would think that businesses who blatantly discriminates against enough groups will probably not be in business very long or will have only a limited clientele. But if that’s their choice then so be it.

^^ This, exactly.

But with that, understand that if Christians can decide who and who they will not do business with based on their religious beliefs and objecting to others who do not hold to their same beliefs, then others of other religions or those of no religion should also then be able to decide not to do business with Christians.

Of course - I am fine with that. I don't do business with folks that don't want to - I walk off and find someone who likes my money.

THAT'S HOW IT WORKS.

I don't get buttsore about it, I just go find another vendor.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 01:16:43 am by roamer_1 »

« Reply #211 on: January 03, 2018, 01:17:25 am »
@Oceander

So an artist who paints portraits for a living is legally not permitted to refuse to paint a particular portrait?
Actually, do not expect a coherent response.  He throws mud around to see what sticks.  Like saying there is some constitutional difference between a 'commercial' enterprise vs a 'non-commericial' enterprise.

It sounds so important and legal, but is simply garbage.  And since I think he believes he is a lawyer, he knows it.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 01:22:02 am by IsailedawayfromFR »

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #212 on: January 03, 2018, 01:19:16 am »
I'm mindful of my surroundings.

Idiots who think they can attempt a mugging are not going to like the reaction.

I'm not talking about a physical mugging.  I'm talking about the kind of mugging these bakers are getting.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #213 on: January 03, 2018, 01:20:53 am »
^^ This, exactly.

Of course - I am fine with that. I don't do business with folks that don't want to - I walk off and find someone who likes my money.

THAT'S HOW IT WORKS.

I don't get buttsore about it, I just go find another vendor.

You aren't a SJW trying to push a higher agenda, either.
I will NOT comply.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #214 on: January 03, 2018, 01:23:01 am »
Since homosexuality is not exclusive to humanity, but rather found in virtually every species on the planet...on what basis is it "evil behavior"?

OK FINE. Let's extend that out to cannibalism, theft of property, theft of mate, territory defined by strength, and all the other things animals do. That'll be friggin peachy.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #215 on: January 03, 2018, 01:25:22 am »
Each year now it seems, it's not "evil behavior" to more and more of the population.  (Or so, we're told).

I don't care if I am the last person in the country who finds that behavior evil.  My morality is not based on public barometers.

Make the ***king cake.   

Get bent.  Put a gun in my face to try and get me to bake an effing cake celebrating homosex - you'll get one shoved right back up into yours.

You want a cake or sign or ad or poster or billboard or TV commercial celebrating faggotry?  Go find a business that will gladly do so for your money. There's plenty out there where money is all that matters.    But if you think you can force me to make any of those things to celebrate perversion, you got another thing coming. 

People have gone to war for far less intrusion and overt despotism in this country than what is advocated by Homosharia advocates.

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #216 on: January 03, 2018, 01:26:34 am »
If I advertised "custom orders" on cakes...., I'm obligated.

The hell you say, I advertise and do custom work all the time - I am under NO obligation to take on ANY job, PERIOD.

Offline HoustonSam

• "That'll be the day......"
  • old times there are not forgotten
« Reply #217 on: January 03, 2018, 01:27:27 am »
Actually, do not expect a coherent response.  He throws mud around to see what sticks.  Like saying there is some constitutional difference between a 'commercial' enterprise vs a 'non-commericial' enterprise.

It sounds so important and legal, but is simply garbage.  And since I think he believes he is a lawyer, he knows it.

Thanks @IsailedawayfromFR.  I've gotten one deflection already, mildly seasoned with personal insult, which I take as a subconscious indicator of intellectual fear and insecurity.  I've responded but received no further reply yet.  We'll see.
James 1:20

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #218 on: January 03, 2018, 01:27:41 am »
I'm not talking about a physical mugging.  I'm talking about the kind of mugging these bakers are getting.

Same difference.

« Reply #219 on: January 03, 2018, 01:29:13 am »
The hell you say, I advertise and do custom work all the time - I am under NO obligation to take on ANY job, PERIOD.
Yep, we are either free or a slave.  There really is no in-between.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #220 on: January 03, 2018, 01:31:45 am »
Same difference.

If it was my own business (as you suggest), I'd be compelled to agree with you on that.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #221 on: January 03, 2018, 01:32:56 am »
Yep, we are either free or a slave.  There really is no in-between.

@IsailedawayfromFR

Pretty simple isn't it?
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #222 on: January 03, 2018, 01:37:31 am »
That is the crux of the matter.  The business is not refusing to sell an item to a customer...the business is refusing to make an item exactly to the specifications of the customer.
And that is the business's absolute right.

But those aren't the facts of the case before the Supreme Court.   Jack Phillips held no discussion with his customer about the specifics of the project,  he simply refused service.   This wasn't about crafting a penis cake.   This wasn't even about putting a rainbow flag on a cake.   The subject of customization didn't arise before he had refused them service because the cake was for a civil wedding of which he did not approve.   He cited his conscience, but his sign said he sold wedding cakes.   Justice must be done,  but not at the price of his ruination.     
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 01:41:56 am by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #223 on: January 03, 2018, 01:38:06 am »
I stand with Roosgirl.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #224 on: January 03, 2018, 01:41:08 am »
But those aren't the facts of the case before the Supreme Court.   Jack Phillips held no discussion with his customer about the specifics of the project,  he simply refused service.   This wasn't about crafting a penis cake.   This wasn't even about putting a rainbow flag on a cake.   The subject of customization didn't arise before he had refused them service because the cake was for a civil wedding of which he did not approve.   He cited his conscience, but his sign said he sold wedding cakes.

So, you really do have a tape proving the claim!  Good news.  Now show it to us.
I will NOT comply.