Author Topic: Trump Considers Repealing Obama-Era Regs On Offshore Oil Drilling  (Read 2674 times)

Offline corbe

Trump Considers Repealing Obama-Era Regs On Offshore Oil Drilling
Chris White on December 26, 2017

The Trump administration is floating the possibility of rolling back a slew of regulations foisted on off shore oil drillers shortly after the 2010 Deepwater Horizon oil spill disaster.

Rolling back the rules could save the energy industry nearly $1 billion over the next 10 years and help reverse some measures companies considered too burdensome, according to the Bureau of Safety and Environmental Enforcement (BSEE), which regulates offshore energy development.

BSEE’s proposal would also nix a provision requiring independent inspectors of critical equipment be certified by the agency. It could potentially affect inspections on items like the equipment that failed in the Deepwater Horizon case.

The rule change is predicated on the belief that systemic problems within the oil industry were not the primary cause of the 2010 oil disaster, which killed 11 workers on the drilling rig and spilled more than 200 million gallons of oil into the Gulf of Mexico.

<..snip..>

http://dailycallernewsfoundation.org/2017/12/26/trump-considers-repealing-obama-era-regs-on-offshore-oil-drilling/
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Oceander

Re: Trump Considers Repealing Obama-Era Regs On Offshore Oil Drilling
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 10:02:50 pm »
So don’t think about it; do it. 

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2017, 10:29:21 pm »
Ramming speed, Mr. President.
The Republic is lost.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2017, 02:34:14 pm »
Next stop has to be opening more offshore areas to drilling, Mr. President.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline thackney

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2017, 02:45:05 pm »

That started back in April.

http://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/331068-trump-starts-rollback-of-obamas-offshore-drilling-restrictions

...The order immediately repeals most of Obama’s ban on drilling in large parts of the Arctic Ocean, north of Alaska, which Obama intended to be indefinite.

It also asks Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke to revise Obama’s plan for offshore drilling rights sales between 2017 and 2022. Zinke is asked specifically to consider drilling in the Arctic and Atlantic oceans, which haven’t had new drilling rights sales in years....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline thackney

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2017, 02:47:07 pm »

Secretary Zinke Announces Largest Oil &Gas Lease Sale in U.S. History
https://www.doi.gov/pressreleases/secretary-zinke-announces-largest-oil-gas-lease-sale-us-history
October 23, 2017

March 2018 sale to offer 76.9 million acres in Gulf of Mexico

Offline corbe

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2017, 12:28:46 am »
Trump administration to repeal Obama fracking rule Friday

by Josh Siegel | Dec 28, 2017, 3:22 PM

The Trump administration on Friday will officially repeal the Obama administration’s 2015 fracking rule regulating oil and natural gas drilling on federal lands.

“We believe it imposes administrative burdens and compliance costs that are not justified,” the Interior Department’s Bureau of Land Management wrote in a notice that it will rescind the rule, to be published in Friday’s Federal Register.

The Interior Department initially proposed ending the rule in July and wrapped up the comment period in September.

The Obama-era rule targets the practice of hydraulic fracturing, or fracking, which has made the U.S. the world’s leading producer of energy. The rule is intended to increase the safety of fracking by reducing the risk of water contamination. It would have forced companies to comply with federal safety standards in the construction of fracking wells and to disclose which chemicals they used in the fracking process.

The Trump administration on Friday will officially repeal the Obama administration’s 2015 fracking rule regulating oil and natural gas drilling on federal lands.

“We believe it imposes administrative burdens and compliance costs that are not justified,” the Interior Department’s Bureau of Land Management wrote in a notice that it will rescind the rule, to be published in Friday’s Federal Register.

The Interior Department initially proposed ending the rule in July and wrapped up the comment period in September.

The Obama-era rule targets the practice of hydraulic fracturing, or fracking, which has made the U.S. the world’s leading producer of energy. The rule is intended to increase the safety of fracking by reducing the risk of water contamination. It would have forced companies to comply with federal safety standards in the construction of fracking wells and to disclose which chemicals they used in the fracking process.

<..snip..>

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/trump-administration-to-repeal-obama-fracking-rule-friday/article/2644522
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline anubias

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2017, 01:00:24 am »
Trump administration to repeal Obama fracking rule Friday

by Josh Siegel | Dec 28, 2017, 3:22 PM

<..snip..>

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/trump-administration-to-repeal-obama-fracking-rule-friday/article/2644522

:peeonobama:

Couldn’t find the cheerleader icon.  The above will have to do to show my glee.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
The Trump administration is expected to announce Thursday that it will propose opening up nearly all federal waters for oil and gas drilling, giving the energy industry access to fields in the Pacific and Atlantic oceans and the eastern Gulf of Mexico that have been off limits for decades, according to two sources familiar with the plan.

Read more at: https://www.politico.com/story/2018/01/04/trump-drilling-coasts-pacific-atlantic-florida-324025
The Republic is lost.

Offline thackney

Announced it will propose???

What the heck was the Executive Order of March 28th for?  Where is the report it required?

Presidential Executive Order on Promoting Energy Independence and Economic Growth
https://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential-actions/presidential-executive-order-promoting-energy-independence-economic-growth/

Online Right_in_Virginia

Trump administration dramatically expands offshore drilling
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2018, 07:06:43 pm »
Trump administration dramatically expands offshore drilling
Fox News, Jan 4, 2018

DEVELOPING: The Trump administration announced Thursday it is planning to dramatically expand offshore drilling, opening almost all U.S. coastal waters to potential oil and gas exploration and development.

The Interior Department is proposing 47 possible auctions of drilling rights in stretches of the U.S. outer continental shelf. This includes the Pacific Ocean near California and the Atlantic Ocean near Maine.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/01/04/trump-administration-dramatically-expands-offshore-drilling.html

Online Right_in_Virginia

Re: Trump administration dramatically expands offshore drilling
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2018, 07:09:13 pm »
A Little Slice of Alaskan Tundra Is Finally Open for Drilling
Townhall, Dec 30, 2017, Paul Driessen

<snip>

At long last, the tax-cut legislation just passed by Congress allows America to benefit from the petroleum resources that experts predict will be found in a small section of the plain, along Alaska’s northern coast. The legislation directs the Interior Department to hold at least two lease sales over the next 10 years, for a maximum of 2,000 acres opened to drilling. Analysts say the sales could fetch as much as $2.2 billion.

The area contains an estimated 10.4 billion barrels of oil, says Alaska Senator Lisa Murkowski, chair of the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee. Others put the petroleum potential even higher.

More: https://townhall.com/columnists/pauldriessen/2017/12/30/a-little-slice-of-alaskan-tundra-is-finally-open-for-drilling-n2428295

Online Right_in_Virginia

Re: Trump administration dramatically expands offshore drilling
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2018, 07:10:33 pm »
Drill Baby Drill!   ^-^

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
Thread merged.
The Republic is lost.

Online Right_in_Virginia

Thread merged.

Thanks... didn't realize we had an energy forum.  @Free Vulcan

Good to know.   :laugh:

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Wont happen off Floridas coast.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline thackney

I would say it is only a question of how far offshore.

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2018, 09:17:44 pm »
Finally did it.  Knew it would just be a matter of time.

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,297987.0.html
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Maybe not for oil, but definitely for natural gas.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2018, 09:33:31 pm »
Threads merged.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Maybe not for oil, but definitely for natural gas.

You and I both know that there is no such thing as a purely oil well or a purely gas well but we don't need to spread that information around too much! ;>)
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

You and I both know that there is no such thing as a purely oil well or a purely gas well but we don't need to spread that information around too much! ;>)
Yep, although I have been around some natural gas wells that are pretty dry.

Offline thackney

Yes, but in today's world, few are searching for such a well in the US.  NatGas liquids have significant value, (and more work for me!!!)

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2018, 03:35:17 pm »
I think this is something we can all agree on.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

LOL! I'm sure we all have.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien