Author Topic: Texas Cops Shoot and Kill 6-Year-Old While Shooting and Killing Woman They Were Chasing Will appare  (Read 1581 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Texas Cops Shoot and Kill 6-Year-Old While Shooting and Killing Woman They Were Chasing
Will apparently be investigating themselves.

Ed Krayewski|Dec. 22, 2017 4:54 pm

A two-hour search for and chase of a woman accused of stealing a car from a man she knew ended in front of a trailer home police say she was trying to break into. Sheriff's deputies fired an undetermined number of times at her, hitting her as well as 6-year-old Kameron Prescott, who was in the home.

The woman was pronounced dead at the scene, while the boy died after being taken to a hospital.

"I can definitively tell you that myself and all the deputies involved, there's not a single one us of that wouldn't trade places with this child," Bexar County Sheriff Javier Salazar told reporters late Thursday.

Read more at: http://reason.com/blog/2017/12/22/texas-cops-shoot-and-kill-6-year-old-whi

and: http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/crime/article/6-year-old-boy-killed-in-Schertz-shootout-12450006.php

Offline RoosGirl

I guess a dead woman and kid are worth stopping a car theft.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Was she armed?
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline RoosGirl

Was she armed?

Officers say she pointed a gun at them, but they never found it.

Offline Texas Yellow Rose

• Native Texan
I guess a dead woman and kid are worth stopping a car theft.

Just what I was thinking!

"Under Texas law the crime of theft—though certainly a criminal charge—can be rather broad.  The crime of theft can encompass taking something from a retail store to writing bad checks or accepting property you know to be stolen. The penalties for the crime of theft will depend largely on the worth of the item which is unlawfully taken—you could pay a simple fine or could end up in prison for a significant length of time. Texas law defines the crime of theft as stealing another’s property without their express consent. This taking of another’s property could be through trickery or by actually taking that property. Should you give the stolen property to another or even return it later in a fit of guilt, you will still have committed theft—you must only keep the property for a sufficient amount of time to deprive the owner of its relative value. 

In order to file charges of theft against you, law enforcement or prosecution must show you acted with criminal purpose. This means you were aware the item you took belonged to another person, you did not have consent form the owner to take the item and you either have or had physical possession of that item. The police will attempt to prove your actions reached criminal intent through such measures as physical evidence, statements from witnesses or even video footage from a security camera."

" ...  Penalties for theft under Texas law are largely dependent upon the value of the stolen property. A Class C misdemeanor will be charged if the property stolen is valued at less than $50. In this case a conviction for such a crime will likely bring only a fine—and a blemish on the person’s record. If the value of the property stolen is more than $50 but less than five hundred, the crime becomes a Class B misdemeanor which could bring the convicted person six months in the county jail in addition to the fines. Finally, when stolen property is valued over $500 but less than $1,500 it becomes a Class A misdemeanor bringing fines of up to $4,000 and up to a year in the county jail.

Stolen property over the amount of $1,500 but less than $20,000 becomes a state jail felony charge with up to $10,000 in fines and up to two years in a state jail.  ..."

http://sullolaw.com/blog/texas-penalties-for-the-crime-of-theft

Offline anubias

This story is simply awful, but it will be ruled a good shoot.  The sheriff passing out hugs to the poor cops made my stomach turn.

Offline skeeter

Officers say she pointed a gun at them, but they never found it.

That makes what can be ruled a justifiable shoot disturbingly broad.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
It sounds like a bad shoot to me, but in all fairness regarding whether or not she had a gun:  "Police say the woman, who they have not identified, swam across a creek and ran through a wooded area before arriving at the trailer park where the police shooting happened."  Easy enough to ditch it, so there would be a possibility that she did have a gun.  However shooting into a home is just wrong.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
So if you've had a gun in the past, the police treat you as if you always have a gun?

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

We do not know all the facts as yet.  This may not be her first offense, for example
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Sheriff requests independent investigation into deputy-involved shooting of 6-year-old boy

https://www.ksat.com/news/sheriff-requests-independent-investigation-into-deputy-involved-shooting-of-6-year-old-boy

SCHERTZ, Texas - Sheriff Javier Salazar has asked Bexar County District Attorney Nico LaHood to help conduct an independent investigation into a deputy-involved shooting that claimed the life of a 6-year-old boy.

LaHood's office said it will dedicate an assistant district attorney and an investigator to the case. The officials will assist BCSO homicide investigators.

According to BCSO, the additional investigator will help review evidence and witness statements as the case develops.

Four deputies opened fire on Jones at the Pecan Grove Mobile Home Park off FM 78 in Schertz after she allegedly pulled a weapon on deputies. Authorities were unaware Kameron was in the house.

Authorities have not found a gun, but did locate a an 8-inch tubular, pipe object underneath a deck where Jones fell. The object had the suspect’s blood and mud on it. 

Authorities released the names of the deputies along with their years of service. The deputies' years of service range from two years to 27 years.

Deputy John Aguillon
Years of service: 27 years, 1 month

Deputy George Herrera
Years of service: 16 years, 4 months

Deputy Jesse Arias
Years of service: 7 years, 4 months

Reserve Deputy Johnny Longoria
Years of service: 2 years, 0 months

Awareness of your environment is the fourth of the "Four Rules of Gun Safety."

As HunterEd.com puts it: "If you pull the trigger, you cannot take back the bullet! Everything and everyone in front of, near, and beyond your target is your responsibility. Make sure you have an adequate backstop and never shoot at a flat, hard surface or water."

A GoFundMe was set up for Kameron's family.