Author Topic: Columnist Ross Douthat: Trump Wins War Against Islamic State  (Read 562 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Columnist Ross Douthat: Trump Wins War Against Islamic State
« on: December 18, 2017, 06:05:24 pm »
Excerpt:
Columnist Ross Douthat: Trump Wins War Against Islamic State
By Jeffrey Rodack    |

Conservative columnist Ross Douthat says President Donald Trump has won the war against the Islamic State — despite little acknowledgement from the media.

"There is nothing more characteristic of the Trump era, with its fire hose of misinformation, scandal and hyperbole, than that America and its allies recently managed to win a war that just two years ago consumed headlines and dominated political debate and helped Donald Trump himself get elected president — and somehow nobody seemed to notice," he said.

"I mean the war against the Islamic State, whose expansion was the defining foreign policy calamity of Barack Obama's second term, whose executions of Americans made the U.S.A. look impotent and whose utopian experiment drew volunteers drunk on world-historical ambitions and metaphysical dreams."

Continued at: https://www.newsmax.com/politics/douthat-trump-won-war/2017/12/18/id/832365/

Offline aligncare

Re: Columnist Ross Douthat: Trump Wins War Against Islamic State
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 06:32:07 pm »

The Trump administration has had many accomplishments big and small while the media looked the other way.

With them it’s all Trump-hate all the time. Ignoring the positive stories is just as damaging as their 90 percent focus on the negative. (That 90 percent figure is from a recent analysis of media coverage. 90 percent negative!)

Think that doesn’t influence people’s thinking? Think again.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 06:34:58 pm »
Several incessant Trump critics at TBR like to claim they'll give credit to Trump where credit is due.

Here's their chance.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 06:35:20 pm by skeeter »

Offline Concerned

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 07:39:04 pm »
Several incessant Trump critics at TBR like to claim they'll give credit to Trump where credit is due.

Here's their chance.

I may be perceived as one of those, and although I’ve praised him previously about the way he has leveraged the military in it’s attack against ISIS, this is indeed a big deal, and I’ll quote myself to give additional credit to the President:

I think Trump deserves all the credit in the world for freeing up our military to truly go after ISIS.  I think he's proven what many of us suspected: that the Rules of Engagement placed upon our military under Obama was too stringent and too restrictive for them to truly to successful.  Good for him!

Clear enough? @skeeter
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 07:43:54 pm by Concerned »
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 08:58:50 pm »
I may be perceived as one of those, and although I’ve praised him previously about the way he has leveraged the military in it’s attack against ISIS, this is indeed a big deal, and I’ll quote myself to give additional credit to the President:

Clear enough? @skeeter

Thats fine with me. A policy change that saves American lives while getting better results is indeed a very big deal.