Author Topic: 100 Things You Should Know About DDT  (Read 952 times)

rangerrebew

100 Things You Should Know About DDT
« on: December 15, 2017, 12:44:06 pm »

100 Things You Should Know About DDT

by J. Gordon Edwards and Steven Milloy
July 26, 1999, JunkScience.com
Recommended Reading by the New York Times

I. Historical Background
II. Advocacy against DDT
III. EPA hearings
IV. Human exposure
V. Cancer
VI. Egg shell thinning
VII. Bald eagles
VIII. Peregrine falcons
IX. Brown pelicans
X. Bird populations increase during DDT years
XI.Erroneous detection

https://junkscience.com/100-things-you-should-know-about-ddt/

Offline Suppressed

Re: 100 Things You Should Know About DDT
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 01:27:08 pm »
Most people erroneously believe DDT was banned in the US. It wasn't.

Good thing we cut back its use and don't use it agricultural ly anymore. Places like India didn't, and now it's worthless for vector control. Mosquitoes in India are immune to it.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 10:49:06 pm »
#101.  It sure kills the hell out of fire ants.  If we still had this to use, fire ants would be no problem whatsoever.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 10:55:14 pm »
Most people erroneously believe DDT was banned in the US. It wasn't.

Good thing we cut back its use and don't use it agricultural ly anymore. Places like India didn't, and now it's worthless for vector control. Mosquitoes in India are immune to it.
if you had read item #8, you would know the reasons.  The bottomliNE is DDT has saved far more lives than were lost from it.   No wonder the inventor won a Nobel prize, back in the pre-Algore/Obama days when it meant something.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2017, 06:12:53 am »
if you had read item #8, you would know the reasons.  The bottomliNE is DDT has saved far more lives than were lost from it.   No wonder the inventor won a Nobel prize, back in the pre-Algore/Obama days when it meant something.

You evidently didn't read #8 and what I wrote. #8 confirms what I wrote --that agricultural use, not vector control, resulted in ending its effectiveness.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2017, 01:47:21 pm »
You evidently didn't read #8 and what I wrote. #8 confirms what I wrote --that agricultural use, not vector control, resulted in ending its effectiveness.
It was used incorrectly.  It is fine for agricultural control of pests.

So why do you still claim we are better off now than before?