Author Topic: Tax-cut plan will more than pay for itself, add $300 billion in revenue: Treasury report  (Read 1110 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 By Dave Boyer - The Washington Times - Updated: 1:48 p.m. on Monday, December 11, 2017

The Treasury Department said Monday that the Senate-approved tax reform plan would pay for itself and more, actually boosting revenue by $300 billion over 10 years.

The one-page analysis by Treasury counters a congressional forecast that the tax cuts would add about $1 trillion in deficits over the next decade.

Treasury said the legislation, which cuts corporate and individual taxes, would result in $1.8 trillion in additional tax revenue over a decade by spurring stronger economic growth. Subtracting tax cuts of $1.5 trillion from the measure under current law, the administration said, adds up to a gain.

more
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/dec/11/treasury-report-tax-cut-plan-add-300b-revenue/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Treasury’s analysis forecasts annual economic growth of at least 2.9 percent, higher than the 2.2 percent estimates used by the congressional Joint Committee on Taxation.

Well, that's not ambitious or anything.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Mesaclone

Treasury’s analysis forecasts annual economic growth of at least 2.9 percent, higher than the 2.2 percent estimates used by the congressional Joint Committee on Taxation.

No, it really isn't ambitious...your sarcasm aside...given that we are already exceeding that rate thanks to optimism over our new President's business acumen. We may, in fact, push our way up to 4% with the stimulus this new cut will provide...so it seems the Treasury analysis is pessimistic if anything.
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
How can this be?  I've been assured by "deficit hawks" this bill will blow a hole in the deficit, and that it's a good thing Susan Collins wants to kill it because it might cut spending.

Taxes are not high enough, or so I've been told.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

It's actual analysis instead of the crap OMB does!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

It's a 10 year economic forecast.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

A realistic one, in view of how this country's economy has performed in the past.  Those were typical numbers until the Democrats took the House, and Bush gave up being President.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Concerned

How can this be?  I've been assured by "deficit hawks" this bill will blow a hole in the deficit, and that it's a good thing Susan Collins wants to kill it because it might cut spending.

Taxes are not high enough, or so I've been told.

WOW!  I don’t know who these “deficit hawks” are who are providing you this “assurance”, but personally, I think anyone who truly “assured” you that “this bill will blow a hole in the deficit” probably doesn’t have a basic understanding of the dynamics of economics and the various variables that can affect the economy.  I think this is particularly true when you’re looking at a long-term horizon.  Although I personally think this tax reform bill is likely to increase the debt, I just don’t think anyone can “assure” us it will increase the debt or decrease the debt for that matter.  There’s just no way to tell with “assurance” IMO.

Also not sure who is telling you taxes aren't high enough, but I think we clearly over-tax, over-spend, and over-borrow (as I think most folks around here at TBR think also).
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
WOW!  I don’t know who these “deficit hawks” are who are providing you this “assurance”, but personally, I think anyone who truly “assured” you that “this bill will blow a hole in the deficit” probably doesn’t have a basic understanding of the dynamics of economics and the various variables that can affect the economy.  I think this is particularly true when you’re looking at a long-term horizon.  Although I personally think this tax reform bill is likely to increase the debt, I just don’t think anyone can “assure” us it will increase the debt or decrease the debt for that matter.  There’s just no way to tell with “assurance” IMO.

Also not sure who is telling you taxes aren't high enough, but I think we clearly over-tax, over-spend, and over-borrow (as I think most folks around here at TBR think also).

I agree with what you wrote there, and I obviously misread what I was thinking about upthread.  Sorry.  There was a poster who said we're not up far enough on the Laffer curve for tax cuts to increase revenue, but it wasn't you.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Night Hides Not

According to the article, the "analysis" was contained on ONE page.  22222frying pan
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Night Hides Not

"Actual analysis" of the plan discussed on one page.

Yet you refer to OMB's work as crap.

:silly:
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

Offline Night Hides Not

I won't be much help here. All I remember from macroeconomics in college was the professor saying "there are no free lunches." The man knew his stuff, Dr. Erwin Graue. He taught for years at Univ of Idaho before moving to Spokane, and Gonzaga Univ. When I met him (he was my faculty advisor for two years), he was 77, and sharp as a tack.

"Macro" was brutal...I was one of five students in the class...there was nowhere to hide, and he let you have it when you gave him a wrong answer.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

Longer is better.  That's why Obamacare was such a smashing success.  You don't get longerer or betterer than that.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Concerned

I agree with what you wrote there, and I obviously misread what I was thinking about upthread.  Sorry.  There was a poster who said we're not up far enough on the Laffer curve for tax cuts to increase revenue, but it wasn't you.

:beer:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I will NOT comply.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

Yes it is and based on real world analysis instead of the static BS the government historically resorts to.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

I respectfully disagree.  People actually will behave differently in a lower tax environment than the do in the higher tax one and cutting the corporate income tax rate will have a great stimulative effect on the entire economy IMHO. 

If they would cut it to zero, and thus create an environment where one could start or expand a business without first having to consider the tax implications, there would be no stopping the growth here.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

Only because that is EXACTLY what it is!  CRAP!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Concerned

I respectfully disagree.  People actually will behave differently in a lower tax environment than the do in the higher tax one and cutting the corporate income tax rate will have a great stimulative effect on the entire economy IMHO. 

If they would cut it to zero, and thus create an environment where one could start or expand a business without first having to consider the tax implications, there would be no stopping the growth here.

If the tax decrease occurred in a vacuum, I'd be much more inclined to agree with you, but I think there are just too many external variables to be "assured" about what absolutely "will" happen (e.g., suppose we have another major terrorist attack where thousands are killed, or hyperinflation, or we make a deal with our creditors that essentially means we default on our debt as Trump has teased, or North Korea (or the US) does something stupid (intentionally or unintentionally) or Trump is impeached or he just keeps tweeting (J/K)).  There are all kinds of things that might occur that could impact the economy (positively or negatively, of course).  I think that's why some tax cuts have resulted in growth and some have not:  just too many variables to be "assured".  If you think growth is "assured", we just agree to disagree.  Have a good night! 

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
If the tax decrease occurred in a vacuum, I'd be much more inclined to agree with you, but I think there are just too many external variables to be "assured" about what absolutely "will" happen (e.g., suppose we have another major terrorist attack where thousands are killed, or hyperinflation, or we make a deal with our creditors that essentially means we default on our debt as Trump has teased, or North Korea (or the US) does something stupid (intentionally or unintentionally) or Trump is impeached or he just keeps tweeting (J/K)).  There are all kinds of things that might occur that could impact the economy (positively or negatively, of course).  I think that's why some tax cuts have resulted in growth and some have not:  just too many variables to be "assured".  If you think growth is "assured", we just agree to disagree.  Have a good night!

There is always the anything can happen factor that could blow up any analysis but the fact is that the economy will do much better under the lower tax scheme than it would under the higher in all cases I think.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Thank you.  Saved me a lot of typing.

A 10 year economic forecast is, IMO, a joke so lame it's not even worthy of SNL.  While I tend to disagree with this forecast due to the vast amount of economic landmines in place today, if I were to present my own forecast I would label it as much of a joke as any other.

Offline Fantom

Thank you.  Saved me a lot of typing.

A 10 year economic forecast is, IMO, a joke so lame it's not even worthy of SNL.  While I tend to disagree with this forecast due to the vast amount of economic landmines in place today, if I were to present my own forecast I would label it as much of a joke as any other.

Shirley...  you joke.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Shirley...  you joke.

Like a midget at a urinal... I was gonna have to stay on my toes.

Online Hoodat

Tax-cut plan will more than pay for itself

There is nothing to pay for.  A tax cut simply means allowing people to keep their own money.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Fantom

Like a midget at a urinal... I was gonna have to stay on my toes.

LOL,  888high58888
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass