Author Topic: Cruz wants Trump to end his support for ethanol industry  (Read 1459 times)

Online corbe

Cruz wants Trump to end his support for ethanol industry
« on: December 07, 2017, 02:10:17 pm »

Cruz wants Trump to end his support for ethanol industry
 By Ben Wolfgang - The Washington Times - Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Sen. Ted Cruz will lead a delegation to the White House on Thursday to talk President Trump out of his rock-solid support for the ethanol industry, marking the latest chapter in an ongoing intraparty fight between Republicans over how the administration should handle biofuels.

The meeting, which Mr. Cruz has sought for months, comes just days after the Environmental Protection Agency announced increases in the Renewable Fuel Standard (RFS), the federal program that requires the blending of ethanol with gasoline, for 2018. Mr. Cruz’s home state of Texas, along with other states closely aligned with the oil and gas industry, opposed the move.

But Mr. Trump had vowed throughout his 2016 campaign to protect the RFS and promote the ethanol industry, and EPA Administrator Scott Pruitt’s decision on the ethanol mandate was seen by biofuels champions in Iowa and elsewhere as a clear signal the president intended to keep his word.

Mr. Cruz’s state of Texas immediately fired back, asking Mr. Pruitt for a waiver from the entire program, arguing it puts their state economy at a disadvantage.

<..snip..>

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/dec/6/ted-cruz-wants-donald-trump-to-end-his-support-for/
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Re: Cruz wants Trump to end his support for ethanol industry
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 02:14:10 pm »
Trump was being "Pragmatic" to win the Iowa caucus yet still lost to Ted Cruz.

Now the usual idiots can chime in with their usual stupidity about Ted Cruz cheating Ben Carson out of his Iowa win.

Online corbe

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 02:21:15 pm »

Now the usual idiots can chime in with their usual stupidity about Ted Cruz cheating Ben Carson out of his Iowa win.

Just because you carry your 1 suit with you everywhere you go @Cripplecreek does not mean all Black politicians do so, Lighten up Frances.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 02:24:59 pm »
If Trump were smart he would try to appease one of the few Senators who have been on his side.  Come 2018, Trump may need a friend in the Senate. But, with Trump's personality I don't see him doing anything for Cruz...besides you know that his Dad killed Kennedy.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 02:30:34 pm »
    Just because you carry your 1 suit with you everywhere you go @Cripplecreek does not mean all Black politicians do so, Lighten up Frances.

Carson's tweet of "I'm too incompetent to run my campaign and pack a suitcase, but vote for me for president" was a doozy.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline endicom

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 02:52:35 pm »
They have to find a way to give the Cruz delegation something without leaving Grassley swinging. An acceptable compromise, for the time being.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 04:07:56 pm »

Some forum member ... I think it was @TomSea got hyperventilated with fury at me because I accused Ben Carson of going home to get a suit.

Well, Ben Carson himself said that was why he went home.

And the very people who vilified Cruz because his staff made an honest mistake totally ignored the fact that Trump had implied that Carson was crazy and a child molester.

Ted Cruz is absolutely right about this and it is not because of Texas oil interests.  It's because it's a huge mistake and always has been to support this ethanol thing.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 04:12:32 pm »
If ALL inputs are considered, it takes 1.4 units of energy to produce 1 unit of energy from corn!  That's all anyone should need to know!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 04:16:21 pm »
If ALL inputs are considered, it takes 1.4 units of energy to produce 1 unit of energy from corn!  That's all anyone should need to know!

True, but by government standards that's a win.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 04:26:22 pm »
Some forum member ... I think it was @TomSea got hyperventilated with fury at me because I accused Ben Carson of going home to get a suit.

Well, Ben Carson himself said that was why he went home.

And the very people who vilified Cruz because his staff made an honest mistake totally ignored the fact that Trump had implied that Carson was crazy and a child molester.

Ted Cruz is absolutely right about this and it is not because of Texas oil interests.  It's because it's a huge mistake and always has been to support this ethanol thing.

:amen:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2017, 04:26:26 pm »
True, but by government standards that's a win.

In that case, government standards are sorely in need of revision!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline endicom

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2017, 07:56:14 pm »

Not really. The same is true of gasoline or electricity. The trick is in the cost factors involved in energy production.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2017, 08:10:38 pm »
That ethanol macro-economic model or algorithm is arranged, using OPM (other peoples' money) funded very indirectly by FedGov.

If you grow corn, you win. If you live in the community of corn growers (state, local etc.) you win.

It is like subsidized solar panels, for Solyndra etc.

If you pay taxes to FedGov you lose.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2017, 08:15:38 pm »
That ethanol macro-economic model or algorithm is arranged, using OPM (other peoples' money) funded very indirectly by FedGov.

If you grow corn, you win. If you live in the community of corn growers (state, local etc.) you win.

It is like subsidized solar panels, for Solyndra etc.

If you pay taxes to FedGov you lose.

If you consume ANY food products that use corn as a base you lose due to the price of that base product being higher than it otherwise would be and on and on to infinity! 

Turning corn into a motor fuel is stupid on any basis one cares to look at it unless you are one of those with a vested interest in doing that.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline MajorClay

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2017, 05:07:01 am »
 :amen:

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2017, 05:49:45 am »
If you consume ANY food products that use corn as a base you lose due to the price of that base product being higher than it otherwise would be and on and on to infinity! 

Turning corn into a motor fuel is stupid on any basis one cares to look at it unless you are one of those with a vested interest in doing that.

In Econ 101 theory, what you say is true.  However, what actually happened to the price of corn when the substantial ethanol mandate was implemented?

When I was a kid, we used to pay farmers not to grow corn to support the price.  Did they make more money setting aside X acres to not grow corn on, or by growing corn today on those X acres to use as fuel?
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2017, 02:09:33 pm »

Only as long as the gravy train is operating.  At some point, one runs out of other people's money and the whole pyramid scheme collapses and the enterprise propped up artificially goes 'Pop'.

Look at Spain's and Germany's renewable schemes as prime examples.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2017, 02:13:28 pm »
In Econ 101 theory, what you say is true.  However, what actually happened to the price of corn when the substantial ethanol mandate was implemented?

When I was a kid, we used to pay farmers not to grow corn to support the price.  Did they make more money setting aside X acres to not grow corn on, or by growing corn today on those X acres to use as fuel?
Got some real numbers on how much $ was spent to 'prop up prices' not to grow corn vs the $ spent to subsidize the corn industry?

You could be talking about a penny back then vs dollars now.

Another thing: years gone by it was a lot more family farms vs what we now have is large business farming.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2017, 02:26:37 pm »

Anyone with a functioning brain, at least.  Sadly, there are too many among us wielding power who do not fall into this category.

The supposed goal of subsidies is to lower the final cost of a product.  With ethanol, this can be done easily by lifting the ban on Brazilian imports.

I am sick and tired of our government picking losers.  Ethanol is a loser.  It causes smog laced with formaldehyde.  Ethanol production results in an increase in oil consumption.  And ethanol wreaks havoc on internal combustion engines.  Our government has no business sticking its nose in the ethanol industry.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2017, 02:39:49 pm »
Anyone with a functioning brain, at least.  Sadly, there are too many among us wielding power who do not fall into this category.

The supposed goal of subsidies is to lower the final cost of a product.  With ethanol, this can be done easily by lifting the ban on Brazilian imports.

I am sick and tired of our government picking losers.  Ethanol is a loser.  It causes smog laced with formaldehyde.  Ethanol production results in an increase in oil consumption.  And ethanol wreaks havoc on internal combustion engines.  Our government has no business sticking its nose in the ethanol industry.

@Hoodat

Agreed!  All Counts!  If ethanol producers want to participate in the motor fuel marketplace let them do it on the merits of their products alone! 

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2017, 03:11:34 pm »
"wreaks havoc"

Of course it does
Countdown to Resignation

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2017, 03:13:33 pm »
Just call it what it is, a farm subsidy.   Just another way to funnel money to the big farming corporations.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2017, 03:43:29 pm »
Just call it what it is, a farm subsidy.   Just another way to funnel money to the big farming corporations.

It is not in the American public's best interest to artificially drive up the price of corn.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2017, 03:55:51 pm »
It is not in the American public's best interest to artificially drive up the price of corn.

Oh I agree but the people in  the midwest getting rich off this will certainly disagree.  Chuck Grassley is one of its biggest proponents.

Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2017, 04:05:51 pm »
Oh I agree but the people in  the midwest getting rich off this will certainly disagree.  Chuck Grassley is one of its biggest proponents.

It's theft!  No different than if you held a gun on someone and took their money!

When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it.
Frederic Bastiat

- J. R. R. Tolkien