Author Topic: AARP: 5.2 million seniors could see taxes increased by GOP bill  (Read 3954 times)

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
Re: AARP: 5.2 million seniors could see taxes increased by GOP bill
« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2017, 03:15:37 pm »
I keep getting them too - I always politely return their empty postage-paid envelope so they can recycle it...

What I'd Like to mail them is my cat's opinion.

Clean out the litter box, . . . . about 5 lbs worth.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2017, 03:32:17 pm »
The bill passed by the Senate, as I read it, takes away the second home mortgage interest deduction. So much for vacation homes and RV payments. Sounds like they really what to help the people.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2017, 09:06:42 pm »
And for so long as we continue to allow them to just tinker around with the Marxist income tax instead of just getting the hell rid of it once and for all that will persist!

http://fairtax.org
Sole proprietorships rely on being able to deduct business expenses. This will require restructuring for anyone not already in a Subchapter S type arrangement, but who was merely self-employed.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2017, 09:11:12 pm »
Sole proprietorships rely on being able to deduct business expenses. This will require restructuring for anyone not already in a Subchapter S type arrangement, but who was merely self-employed.

I'm sorry! What will require that?  The currently in the works tax bill or the fairtax?
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2017, 09:35:04 pm »
I'm sorry! What will require that?  The currently in the works tax bill or the fairtax?
You didn't do it! The current tax bill will severely limit itemized deductions, including deductions for property taxes. It cuts very high end death taxes, and lowers the highest tax rate, but I'm not seeing where it is doing anyone any favors on the end where the tax bill bites deepest (into the individual's income).

I'd be for a consumption based tax, but I can't support issuing payments as part of the scheme. Just don't tax the3 things the payments are supposed to offset the taxes on, and tax the rest. Otherwise, a flat tax and get it over with. 10% for Caesar, 10% for The Almighty, and the rest for me.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2017, 09:42:24 pm »
You didn't do it! The current tax bill will severely limit itemized deductions, including deductions for property taxes. It cuts very high end death taxes, and lowers the highest tax rate, but I'm not seeing where it is doing anyone any favors on the end where the tax bill bites deepest (into the individual's income).

I'd be for a consumption based tax, but I can't support issuing payments as part of the scheme. Just don't tax the3 things the payments are supposed to offset the taxes on, and tax the rest. Otherwise, a flat tax and get it over with. 10% for Caesar, 10% for The Almighty, and the rest for me.

Sorry but that just won't fly. The moment you put in any exemption K Street returns in full force.  Better to just let each individual decide for themselves what their necessities are.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2017, 10:04:50 pm »
Sorry but that just won't fly. The moment you put in any exemption K Street returns in full force.  Better to just let each individual decide for themselves what their necessities are.
That might seem well and good, but you aren't saving a dime, and you aren't getting rid of the IRS (just adding a prebate division), and then someone has to generate what is the 'necessary' amount of food, heating fuel, medical care, etc, so it can be averaged and the amount of the checks determined.

Problem is, the average person has one ovary, one lactating (or capable) breast, one testicle, etc. IOW, they don't exist. Where I live, it costs more for heat in the winter. Not an option, really, I have known a couple of people who froze to death. Let someone do a round of chemo....and pay the tax on that, and if they live long enough they might get a fraction of the taxes back.

We can all agree on what is "necessary" for everyone: Food, water, medicine/doctors, and energy to heat/cool your living space. I wouldn't even tax houses (occupied primary residence), and all real estate is used, anyway (prove no one ever set foot on it or owned it before). There are plenty of other things to tax, which are not necessities, and if a boob job slips through the cracks, they'll be buying clothing to show them off, so the tax will be collected elsewhere. Same with a 6000 square foot house: they have to furnish it, and there's the ka-ching for the Government.

Back to sole proprietorships. Income is equal to revenue taken in minus expenses. The net, not the gross. If you can't deduct expenses, you are being taxed on the gross. If your actual profit margin is 30%, and you are being taxed at 10%, try to beat the rush for a bridge to live under, because you aren't going to do enough business, especially with a sole proprietorship, to eat.

C S Lewis

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2017, 11:00:26 pm »
As soon as I started drawing social security I started getting more than regular mailings from AARP. This year leading up to Medicare eligibility next August the mailed more than doubled, at least 2 to 3 a week. It’s not a coincidence. The Government must be feeding them names and addresses. The government in cahoots, go figure.
Is this a viable alternative to AARP?

https://amac.us/
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington