Author Topic: AARP: 5.2 million seniors could see taxes increased by GOP bill  (Read 3953 times)

Offline thackney

Re: AARP: 5.2 million seniors could see taxes increased by GOP bill
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2017, 05:39:48 pm »
most of the older senior either don’t own a computer or have no idea how to use it if they had one. My 87yo mother has an iPhone but can barely use it. My 92yr father has never used a computer in his life.

I don't think we can say "most" seniors are computer illiterate anymore.  While my 92 yr old Father-In-Law meets you description, my parents in their mid 70s use multiple computer programs everyday.  So does everyone they interact with.  While most 90 years olds don't have that experience, most +65 do use computers.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2017, 05:42:58 pm »
Well the second home deduction would hit some of them.  Since most don't have that much income to start with I don't see how this is accurate.
Every leftist source is in all out attack mode, over tax cuts. AARP=leftist. Preys on gullible elderly.

Graduate students that get tuition forgiveness for teaching, are demonstrating--because such compensation becomes taxable.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2017, 05:43:35 pm »
I wonder if the GOP has a plan to acknowledge those who get tax hikes from this bill.  Obama dismissed the people who complained about premium increases, and that didn't turn out so well.

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2017, 06:01:44 pm »
I don't think we can say "most" seniors are computer illiterate anymore.  While my 92 yr old Father-In-Law meets you description, my parents in their mid 70s use multiple computer programs everyday.  So does everyone they interact with.  While most 90 years olds don't have that experience, most +65 do use computers.
That’s why I said older seniors. But like me the baby boomer generation is growing rapidly as seniors.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline thackney

« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2017, 06:13:32 pm »
That’s why I said older seniors. But like me the baby boomer generation is growing rapidly as seniors.

Yep, I glossed right over your distinction.  But I agree with your description.

Cheers!
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2017, 06:20:45 pm »
most of the older senior either don’t own a computer or have no idea how to use it if they had one. My 87yo mother has an iPhone but can barely use it. My 92yr father has never used a computer in his life.

Those are examples of folks that might rely on AARP for the "truth," but get misled and pay plenty for their reliance thereon.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2017, 07:51:16 pm »

What is AMAC's position on tax reform ?

Can you point me to a news article where they are actively involved in speaking out for seniors ?

Would their voice matter ?

eff if I know.  Nor do I care.  all I DO know Is AARP sucks goat testicles. 
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline KingsX

• Be yourself. No one can say you're doing it wrong.
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2017, 10:08:54 pm »

I wonder if the GOP has a plan to acknowledge those who get tax hikes from this bill.  Obama dismissed the people who complained about premium increases, and that didn't turn out so well.

GOP leaders ignore those people now... why would they care later ??

Offline KingsX

« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2017, 10:17:11 pm »

I used a computer at work for decades...  and one at home since 2000.

But once I retired early from my corporate job,   I don't bother with the hassle and/or expense of keeping up with the ever-changing technology.  So I don't update my home computer enough to be able to access all websites.  For example,  I am unable to buy online from Walmart... but I can buy  from Amazon with no problem [so far.]  I wonder if companies like Walmart realize they have locked out a portion of online customers ??

« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 10:22:27 pm by KingsX »

Offline KingsX

« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2017, 10:26:08 pm »

I always thought that once the huge baby boomer generation became seniors...
then politicians would cater to that huge voting demographic... but it appears
the baby boomer seniors are being ignored and getting the shaft.

I intend to vote, or not vote, accordingly.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 10:28:00 pm by KingsX »

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2017, 10:45:56 pm »

I always thought that once the huge baby boomer generation became seniors...
then politicians would cater to that huge voting demographic... but it appears
the baby boomer seniors are being ignored and getting the shaft.

I intend to vote, or not vote, accordingly.
Maybe the baby boomer senior will become the next silent majority?
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2017, 03:46:09 am »
well, my 88 year old mom is fully adept at texting, regularly emails and Google videos with her kids.  She has an iphone, iPad and Mac and knows how to use them
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2017, 05:34:46 am »
well, my 88 year old mom is fully adept at texting, regularly emails and Google videos with her kids.  She has an iphone, iPad and Mac and knows how to use them
I would say she’s not your typical 88yo mom.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2017, 05:40:11 am »
Maybe the baby boomer senior will become the next silent majority?

We can only hope.......especially about the silent part. Tired of hearing about what they were up to when the contracted Hep C.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2017, 07:59:49 am »
AARP also assured seniors that Affordable Care Act would be a really good deal for them.
Well it was a really good deal for them, AARP that is. And that's really all that AARP cares about, their bottom line.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2017, 09:54:47 pm »
I would say she’s not your typical 88yo mom.
No she isn't, not with 11 kids of her own, 29 grandkids, 33 great grandkids and 1 great great.

She does all her Christmas shopping online as well.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 09:55:27 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2017, 11:38:59 pm »
No she isn't, not with 11 kids of her own, 29 grandkids, 33 great grandkids and 1 great great.

She does all her Christmas shopping online as well.
Wow. Congrats. Although my mom used to be able to operate a computer, the impact of a stroke took much away. She earned her PHD in education (reading and speech disabilities) in her late 50s. Unfortunately dementia and Alzheimer’s is taking her mental abilities away.

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2017, 01:48:02 am »
Every leftist source is in all out attack mode, over tax cuts. AARP=leftist. Preys on gullible elderly.

Graduate students that get tuition forgiveness for teaching, are demonstrating--because such compensation becomes taxable.

My great niece Abby is currently working on her Ph.D. in History at Temple University. She is a teaching and research assistant at the university but only earning a meager stipend only for being a teaching assistant (she is not compensated for the hours she puts in as a research assistant) that barely covers her living expenses – she rents a small off campus apartment along with a roommate and had to give up her car because she could no longer afford it, instead taking public transit, but she does get a tuition waiver. But in exchange for that waiver and the small stipend, she also does not reap any financial benefits of anything she writes that gets published or for anything more than travel expenses when she makes any presentations for the university.  I would also point out that while getting her BA and then her Masters, she was working at least one, sometimes two jobs while going to school full time to help fund her education and utilizing scholarships, grants and minimizing as best she could any student loan debt. And also while getting her Masters, she was an unpaid teaching and research assistant.

I asked her what she thought of this and how it would affect her and this was her answer:

This Bill, if passed, would repeal the section of the current tax code that pertains to tuition waivers.

Once that section is repealed, my tuition waiver (which I earned through all of my hard work to this point in academia) could be considered taxable income.

The problem with that is that we never see these waivers enter our checking accounts at any point -- they are simply bills that we do not have to pay, justified by our academic achievement and employment as Teaching Assistants (for which my 20 hrs/week are already taxed).

If that came to fruition, I would be someone making less than 20k a year in the 40k tax bracket, which could potentially make it very difficult to continue my program at all.

And my response to her (and you):

That's my understanding as well and I think this stinks to high heaven!

FWIW it also eliminates employer provided tuition reimbursement – the up to $5,250 of tax-free employer tuition assistance per year. And I have known many people who advanced their careers while also benefiting their employers by advancing their education and skills. I was planning on enrolling in some courses next year utilizing my employer’s tuition assistance program but that would be down the drain for me if this bill passes.

Oh and it also eliminates the student loan interest deduction and also the benefit that many universities offer to their employees, allowing their children to get discounted tuition, which will now be considered a taxable fringe benefit.

While a lot of the articles I’ve been reading focus mostly on how this hurts STEM, and for a country lagging so far behind in this area, it is a glaring inconsistency in what is the often stated goal – more Americans entering STEM fields and less need for overseas outsourcing and HB1 Visas, and what the reality is and will be under this plan as how many will be able to afford to attend graduate school; it hurts many other areas as well, not only your field but also in areas like finance and economics….

But then again Trumpy did say during the campaign that he “loves the poorly educated”. Indeed, he does.
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline raml

« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2017, 03:14:32 am »
I am 72 have had a home computer and the internet since 1998 worked with computers before that for years so did my dad a mechanical engineer who died at 94 years old in 2009.  All I know is anything AARP is for I am against. They are not for we seniors they are for money in their pockets and that is all they are for.

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2017, 03:30:34 am »
As soon as I started drawing social security I started getting more than regular mailings from AARP. This year leading up to Medicare eligibility next August the mailed more than doubled, at least 2 to 3 a week. It’s not a coincidence. The Government must be feeding them names and addresses. The government in cahoots, go figure.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2017, 10:09:12 am »
If the AARP is against something that makes me for it automatically no matter what it is!

How many of their members were hit so hard by AARP's support of the ACA that they can't afford Any health Insurance today?

How many more were financially raked over the coals far Worse than by this tax issue because of AARP's support of O'care?

How many of their members were forced to turn in their guns, leaving them helpless against home invaders by AARP's anti-gun crap?

Leftists like AARP who live in glass houses, . . . .
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2017, 11:10:23 am »
As soon as I started drawing social security I started getting more than regular mailings from AARP. This year leading up to Medicare eligibility next August the mailed more than doubled, at least 2 to 3 a week. It’s not a coincidence. The Government must be feeding them names and addresses. The government in cahoots, go figure.

I keep getting them too - I always politely return their empty postage-paid envelope so they can recycle it...
---
Everything I need to know I learned in GTA

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2017, 11:23:31 am »
Yep, eliminating the medical expense deduction is going to hit my middle class parents hard (Dad is in skilling nursing with $8K+/mo. expenses paid out of pocket). They do have an LTC policy but it only pays about 45% of the bill.
Itemized deductions saved the average oilfield worker a grundle in taxes. I'm not sure what will be shot out from under folks, but I have never come out on the 'winning' end of any change to tax law.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2017, 02:54:46 pm »
I keep getting them too - I always politely return their empty postage-paid envelope so they can recycle it...

@Snarknado

Next time fill that envelope with as much of their sales propaganda as you can possibly stuff in it before you return it!  Worked for me!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2017, 02:56:44 pm »
Itemized deductions saved the average oilfield worker a grundle in taxes. I'm not sure what will be shot out from under folks, but I have never come out on the 'winning' end of any change to tax law.

And for so long as we continue to allow them to just tinker around with the Marxist income tax instead of just getting the hell rid of it once and for all that will persist!

http://fairtax.org
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien