Author Topic: Matt Lauer terminated from Today Show because of inappropriate behavior  (Read 27735 times)

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: Matt Lauer terminated from Today Show because of inappropriate behavior
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2017, 02:53:37 pm »
! No longer available

Matt Lauer's wonderful rendition of that famous scene from The Hunt for Red October.   :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2017, 03:00:28 pm »
I agree.  They've created a monster, and it's eating their own.   But again - read Peggy Noonan.   This is a paradigm shift that has been a long time coming.

@Jazzhead do you have a link to it? I'm just wondering because I worked in that field and I'm wondering what considers sexual harressment. I've had male colleagues tell me I looked pretty and I thought nothing about it but the kids who were twenty years younger than me considered it haressment. 
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2017, 03:07:58 pm »
The point is when the pendulum starts swinging in knee jerk cases like these it always goes to the extreme before it corrects to center.

It sure does and when i do hiring its one of the things I look for.  Of course I dont want people who behave poorly but I also dont want people with a chip on their shoulder.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2017, 03:08:23 pm »

@Jazzhead do you have a link to it? I'm just wondering because I worked in that field and I'm wondering what considers sexual harressment. I've had male colleagues tell me I looked pretty and I thought nothing about it but the kids who were twenty years younger than me considered it haressment.

@Freya, Peggy writes for the Wall Street Journal, and I'm a paper subscriber (I read it every morning on the train to work).   You can find her columns on the WSJ website, but they're behind a paywall.   

I think she's the best political columnist in America.   
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 03:09:11 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2017, 03:14:22 pm »
'Don't be sarcastic': Matt Lauer confronts Bill O'Reilly about sexual-harassment claims in tense interview
http://www.businessinsider.com/matt-lauer-bill-oreilly-interview-sexual-harassment-2017-9
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2017, 03:14:48 pm »

@Freya
And I've walked into rooms where the women were talking about their double Ds and more.   Then there's the girl that came up to me, stuck out her chest and asked if I thought she needed a boob job.   I walked away and she walked down to HR.

Today I'd report both cases and get them fired.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Silver Pines

« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2017, 03:15:30 pm »
Apparently the NYT has been working on a story about Lauer.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2017, 03:22:08 pm »
Apparently the NYT has been working on a story about Lauer.

If the story was about a republican The Slimes would have had it on the web in print before he was fired....

But in fairness to one of their own they wanted to get all the facts I'm sure...
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2017, 03:28:33 pm »
The liberals spread the gas and lit the match on this topic.

Not alot of sympathy if they get burned.
The Republic is lost.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2017, 03:30:13 pm »
The liberals spread the gas and lit the match on this topic.

Not alot of sympathy if they get burned.

Somewhere Roger Ailes is giggling like a ninny.

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2017, 03:33:18 pm »
This is becoming the new McCarthyism. No evidence. Just an accusation and a man's life is destroyed. The link doesn't even say what the accusation is

Page 6 was investigating Lauer and went to NBC with substantial proof of him raping a female colleague at the Olympics. Page 6 says there is also more women coming forward.

NBC would not have fired him without significant proof.

Silver Pines

« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2017, 03:41:46 pm »
If the story was about a republican The Slimes would have had it on the web in print before he was fired....

But in fairness to one of their own they wanted to get all the facts I'm sure...

@WineNot

I don’t know anything about the facts at this point.  All I know about Lauer is that his haircut makes him look like a creep.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2017, 04:07:01 pm »
Page 6 was investigating Lauer and went to NBC with substantial proof of him raping a female colleague at the Olympics. Page 6 says there is also more women coming forward.

The problem is that everyone knew about Lauer and they kept quiet because he was a good asset to the cause. The women were expected to "take one for the team".
Countdown to Resignation

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2017, 04:08:08 pm »

...when there's an opportunity to jettison a $25M per annual salary?   ...with free helicopter transport to and from his 40 acre estate on the Hamptons?

Gimme a break!   :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2017, 04:39:06 pm »
Asking for a date  and/or complementing a co-worker on an outfit or hair style in the workplace will now become sexual harassment and inappropriate behavior and grounds for dismissal.

I understand that statement - and I'm female.  Human nature is ---- human nature.  So far as I can see, the line is blurry, there are no clear rules and many females contribute to the blurring, just as much as the males.  There was a time when the relationships, what was proper and what was not, were very clearly defined.  Not so now. 

I always worked in male dominated careers.  I dealt with my fair share of inappropriate behavior.  I learned to be crystal clear with fellow employees and superiors.  I made it clear that I expected them to be gentlemen, treated them as gentlemen and that almost always worked perfectly.  I noticed that men very often policed each other once the ground rules were established. 

There were some MEMORABLE axxholes over the years.  They didn't make me lose confidence in myself, they didn't cause me lasting pain, they didn't make me fear other men.  They simply made me mad.

What really, really made me see red and caused me angst was the assumption that because I was 5'2", red-headed and female, I was incapable of performing certain jobs. 
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2017, 04:39:09 pm »

I heard this morning that his show brought in profits of $280 million per year.  No network would put over $1 billion (every 4 years) at risk unless they had some really damaging information.

Yashar Ali  🐘‏Verified account
@yashar
Follow Follow @yashar
More Yashar Ali  🐘 Retweeted The Associated Press
I, and other reporters , have been aware of several women who have come forward privately  in the past few months ...even before Weinstein. They weren’t willing to go public though...they were terrified of Matt.

Yashar Ali  🐘‏Verified account
@yashar
Follow Follow @yashar
More Yashar Ali  🐘 Retweeted Yashar Ali  🐘
Matt Lauer put the fear of god into these women. He had relationships with reporters outside NBC that he cultivated just for this purpose. They knew that.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2017, 05:24:39 pm »
Peggy Noonan.   *****rollingeyes*****
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2017, 05:28:28 pm »
I understand that statement - and I'm female.  Human nature is ---- human nature.  So far as I can see, the line is blurry, there are no clear rules and many females contribute to the blurring, just as much as the males.  There was a time when the relationships, what was proper and what was not, were very clearly defined.  Not so now. 

I always worked in male dominated careers.  I dealt with my fair share of inappropriate behavior.  I learned to be crystal clear with fellow employees and superiors.  I made it clear that I expected them to be gentlemen, treated them as gentlemen and that almost always worked perfectly.  I noticed that men very often policed each other once the ground rules were established. 

There were some MEMORABLE axxholes over the years.  They didn't make me lose confidence in myself, they didn't cause me lasting pain, they didn't make me fear other men.  They simply made me mad.

What really, really made me see red and caused me angst was the assumption that because I was 5'2", red-headed and female, I was incapable of performing certain jobs.

A redhead with a temper? Unbelieveable.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2017, 05:33:05 pm »
Peggy Noonan.   *****rollingeyes*****

I do believe Ms Peggy is Mr. Heads Main squeeze
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2017, 05:37:19 pm »
Asking for a date  and/or complementing a co-worker on an outfit or hair style in the workplace will now become sexual harassment and inappropriate behavior and grounds for dismissal.
My former boss, a gentlemanly retired Army officer, told me I looked like Kim Novak. I was flattered, not offended.

And then there's the fellow to whom I've been married for over 21 years. We met at work,  he asked me out ... all that verboten stuff.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline musiclady

« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2017, 05:38:52 pm »
May I politely suggest that the probably reason that these stories are all coming out now is not some dark conspiracy, but that women finally believe they will be taken seriously so are speaking up?

This is clearly a BIG problem that's been going on for decades with men in positions of power, and as far as I'm concerned, if it makes some of these letches think twice about their groping and making advances it is a GOOD thing.

Or would some of you prefer that the rampant abuse of power by men continue??  :shrug:
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2017, 05:40:43 pm »
My former boss, a gentlemanly retired Army officer, told me I looked like Kim Novak. I was flattered, not offended.

Better to compared to Kim than Bob.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2017, 05:40:53 pm »
@WineNot

All I know about Lauer is that his haircut makes him look like a creep.

True.  Then again, he doesn't really have much to work with.
(Oops -- was that harrassment? :pondering:)
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline musiclady

« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2017, 05:41:16 pm »

And then there's the fellow to whom I've been married for over 21 years. We met at work,  he asked me out ... all that verboten stuff.

The problem is that in many cases the harassment is real and the abuses overlooked.

This is not about compliments that crazy feminists complain about, or guys opening doors and getting smacked around by hulking lesbians.   

Does anyone really think Matt Lauer just said nice things and is being persecuted??  C'mon!
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2017, 05:52:07 pm »
@WineNot All I know about Lauer is that his haircut makes him look like a creep.

May as well go all in with the look if you're actually a sex offender.  I miss the days when Brokaw was the anchor, setting up an interview by Matt and practically choking while pronouncing Lauer.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.