Author Topic: Should I kill myself or have a cup of coffee? The Stoics and Existentialists agree on the answer  (Read 1650 times)

Offline Suppressed

« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 09:27:18 AM by Suppressed »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Camus died when he was 36

He should have eaten more donuts with his coffee.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter

1952-2019
In my ❤️Forever

Offline Victoria33

• Prissy my Yorkie
@Suppressed

I lead Bible study with a group of seniors at our church.  The group was started by a man whose belief is this:  "Seniors are here to help other seniors."  That is what we do in that group - if someone needs something, or just prayer, we take care of them.  That gives seniors purpose, to help others.  A person thinking of suicide needs a purpose to live and those purposes are there.  A suicidal person is only thinking about self which is selfish - helping others gives purpose.
I AM SELLING MY BOOK: 
“EMERGENCIES HAPPEN! BE PREPARED NOW!”
IF INTERESTED, WILL SEND YOU TABLE OF CONTENTS, WRITE ME AT:
mards.derrick@aol.com
MY WEBSITE: "THE WRITING OF MARCELLA DERRICK"  https://www.marcelladerrick.com/

Offline Suppressed

I lead Bible study with a group of seniors at our church.  The group was started by a man whose belief is this:  "Seniors are here to help other seniors."  That is what we do in that group - if someone needs something, or just prayer, we take care of them.  That gives seniors purpose, to help others.  A person thinking of suicide needs a purpose to live and those purposes are there.  A suicidal person is only thinking about self which is selfish - helping others gives purpose.

@Victoria33

That's an excellent point -- so much of Christ's message is about helping others.  I think that might be one reason youth of today have trouble, as the culture is becoming so self-centered.  Often, helping others will give them a sense that they've never felt before.

I do take issue with that last line, though, in part.  I wouldn't say a suicidal person is thinking only about self.  In reading the writings of suicidal people or suicides, many care deeply about the effect on others.  However, sometimes the pain is too great.

But the second half of the sentence is a good point -- helping others does give purpose, and I've used that in my own life, even mining the smallest bits of purpose from little things. 

You've given me a good idea for a friend's mom.  She's sitting around the house all day, alone...now drinking..and her daughter is worried about her, and has asked me for help.   She really needs to get some social interaction, and I'm wondering whether I can figure out a way she can help others.  She's a very caring, giving woman...so triggering that instinct in her might get her out of her rut.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Victoria33

• Prissy my Yorkie
@Suppressed
@Freya
@CatherineofAragon
@mystery-ak
@roamer_1 

I wrote a document/dissertation on suicide and it is in some college libraries.  Suicide is about self.  Those who think of others usually don't do it.  If a suicidal person starts giving away his/her stuff, he/she is serious about suicide.  If the person has a gun, he/she is serious about suicide.  Women tend to use pills and men tend to use guns (subconsciously women don't want their face messed up).  However, I knew a woman who was serious about suicide and she bought a gun, checked into a motel and shot herself in the head and was dead that moment.

For some patients who spoke of suicide, I asked him/her to not do it as it would make me look bad - my patient killing him/her self.  Each one said he/she wouldn't want that so he/she was not going to do it.  These patients were not really suicidal and I knew it but it made them feel better to have a reason not to do it.  (hint: don't say that to your patient if he/she hates your guts).

In the area where I lived, a student in high school hanged himself and died.  Within a week, two other students in that school killed themselves.  Always look for possible copy cats if suicide happens in a school.

One time a junior high girl told me she wanted to commit suicide.  I said not a problem, eat a cup of salt and that will do it (it wouldn't).  She immediately said I was supposed to tell her not to do it.  I said okay, let's talk about why you shouldn't. I wanted her to defend herself, which she did, then we talked seriously about her problem.

Now, you have to know your patients well before you speak to the subject of their suicidal ideation.  Most of the time they are asking for help and don't intend to kill themselves but you have to know how to determine if they are serious. That is why I wrote the sort of book size document as the most difficult patient a mental health worker has is one with suicidal ideation.  That is a matter of life and death.

If anyone you know is thinking of suicide, try to get them to a therapist/psychologist and tell anyone close to that person about your concern - you want numerous people to know so they can help that person.  Don't keep that information to yourself.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 02:49:35 PM by Victoria33 »
I AM SELLING MY BOOK: 
“EMERGENCIES HAPPEN! BE PREPARED NOW!”
IF INTERESTED, WILL SEND YOU TABLE OF CONTENTS, WRITE ME AT:
mards.derrick@aol.com
MY WEBSITE: "THE WRITING OF MARCELLA DERRICK"  https://www.marcelladerrick.com/

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
Bookmarking for possible later comment...
The more people I meet, the more convinced I am that I should be a hermit living in a cabin in a deep forest.

Offline the_doc

Camus died when he was 36

He should have eaten more donuts with his coffee.

I believe he crashed his Triumph into a tree.  (My brother had a Triumph that he named Albert.)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf