Author Topic: Poll: 71% of Americans Say Political Correctness Has Silenced Discussions Society Needs to Have, 58% Have Political Views They’re Afraid to Share  (Read 1858 times)

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Poll: 71% of Americans Say Political Correctness Has Silenced Discussions Society Needs to Have, 58% Have Political Views They’re Afraid to Share

October 31, 2017 8:32AM  Emily Ekins

The Cato 2017 Free Speech and Tolerance Survey, a new national poll of 2,300 U.S. adults, finds that 71% Americans believe that political correctness has silenced important discussions our society needs to have. The consequences are personal—58% of Americans believe the political climate prevents them from sharing their own political beliefs.
Democrats are unique, however, in that a slim majority (53%) do not feel the need to self-censor. Conversely, strong majorities of Republicans (73%) and independents (58%) say they keep some political beliefs to themselves.

Full survey results and report found here.

It follows that a solid majority (59%) of Americans think people should be allowed to express unpopular opinions in public, even those deeply offensive to others. On the other hand, 40% think government should prevent hate speech. Despite this, the survey also found Americans willing to censor, regulate, or punish a wide variety of speech and expression they personally find offensive:

51% of staunch liberals say it’s “morally acceptable” to punch Nazis.

53% of Republicans favor stripping U.S. citizenship from people who burn the American flag.

51% of Democrats support a law that requires Americans use transgender people’s preferred gender pronouns.

65% of Republicans say NFL players should be fired if they refuse to stand for the anthem.

58% of Democrats say employers should punish employees for offensive Facebook posts.

47% of Republicans favor bans on building new mosques.

Americans also can’t agree what speech is hateful, offensive, or simply a political opinion:

59% of liberals say it’s hate speech to say transgender people have a mental disorder; only 17% of conservatives agree.

39% of conservatives believe it’s hate speech to say the police are racist; only 17% of liberals agree.

80% of liberals say it’s hateful or offensive to say illegal immigrants should be deported; only 36% of conservatives agree.

87% of liberals say it’s hateful or offensive to say women shouldn’t fight in military combat roles, while 47% of conservatives agree.

90% of liberals say it’s hateful or offensive to say homosexuality is a sin, while 47% of conservatives agree. 

snip

https://www.cato.org/blog/poll-71-americans-say-political-correctness-has-silenced-discussions-society-needs-have-58-have
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline truth_seeker

This article indicates that political correctness is far more widespread, than I suspected.

(It further reveals that a surprisingly large fraction of so-called conservatives, that buy into that gullible, juvenile worldview, too)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
The smart phone is just as responsible for any "silenced discussions".    :bolt:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Political correctness has a proper name!  It is cultural Marxism and yes it is EXTREMELY destructive!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline aligncare

People are so touchy today. A movie like Blazing Saddles could not be made today, for instance. And Don Rickles? fuhgeddaboudit.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
This article indicates that political correctness is far more widespread, than I suspected.

(It further reveals that a surprisingly large fraction of so-called conservatives, that buy into that gullible, juvenile worldview, too)
It indicates how effective a campaign can be when there is no dissent allowed because that would be "____-ist"! or 'hate'.
I still manage to express the vast majority of my opinions, but I word them carefully.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
The smart phone is just as responsible for any "silenced discussions".    :bolt:
"Be nice or I'll un friend you!"
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
The people do seem to be expressing themselves at the ballot box however, and lately that hasn't favored liberals.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
People are so touchy today. A movie like Blazing Saddles could not be made today, for instance. And Don Rickles? fuhgeddaboudit.

It's gone to a ridiculous extreme.  I enjoy watching the original Star Treks and hearing them say, "To boldly go where no man has gone before."  Not grammatically correct but I love it.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
"Be nice or I'll un friend you!"

It's sad.   Go anywhere where three or more people are standing near one another.

Heads buried in cell phones and/or wearing ear plugs.

We're incubating savages.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 07:28:14 pm by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Gotta add, if you want to attack someone, come here.  You're among friends.

Online corbe

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online corbe

Soon 90% of the people polled will say they voted for Cruz.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline RoosGirl

Anyway, it's not just political correctness trying to silence people.  We see right here that some people would prefer that opinions they don't like be minimized.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
It's sad.   Go anywhere where three or more people are standing near one another.

Heads buried in cell phones and/or wearing ear plugs.

We're incubating savages.

It's a strange new world.  When Smitty and I walk early enough, we see a group of 8 or 10 high school kids waiting for the school bus.  Mostly boys, but a couple of really cute girls.

Are they messing around with her?  Or punching each other?  No, they are zombies looking down at their hands and not interacting with each other at all.

It makes me sad.

Offline DiogenesLamp

Anyway, it's not just political correctness trying to silence people.  We see right here that some people would prefer that opinions they don't like be minimized.

If you are referring to the constant never ending bitch-fest about how horrible is Trump,  then yeah,  we are getting pretty tired of hearing about that.   

You see,  no  new information is being put forth,  and so it's basically just another iteration of "I hate Trump"  in different words.   

We've already heard that opinion about a gazillion times.   Repeating it constantly adds nothing of value to any discussion.   
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline truth_seeker

After posting this, a serious local situation took place this morning. About a month ago, a police officer shot and killed a 27 year old homeless guy, discharged from the Navy for drug use. I know his mother, and sister.

Anyway when the police shot him, there was quite a push back against the cop, who first used a taser, then retrated backwards as the perp moved forward at him, struck him etc.

This morning the Police Chief and City Attorney released evidence, that ties the perp to a murder a few days before his death.

Like a very big call to sanity to replace SJW do-gooder insanity of the type which makes excuses, but puts others' lives in danger.

The 27 year of beat an 80 year old church volunteer to death. The old guy was doing outreach to homeless.

Offline DiogenesLamp

After posting this, a serious local situation took place this morning. About a month ago, a police officer shot and killed a 27 year old homeless guy, discharged from the Navy for drug use. I know his mother, and sister.

Anyway when the police shot him, there was quite a push back against the cop, who first used a taser, then retrated backwards as the perp moved forward at him, struck him etc.

This morning the Police Chief and City Attorney released evidence, that ties the perp to a murder a few days before his death.

Like a very big call to sanity to replace SJW do-gooder insanity of the type which makes excuses, but puts others' lives in danger.

The 27 year of beat an 80 year old church volunteer to death. The old guy was doing outreach to homeless.

I'm not sure how this relates to the topic you posted for this thread.   Is there something about this situation that you are afraid to relate to others?   

Drugs are bad.  Drugs make people do stupid things.   Drugs cause disasters in people's lives,  and yes, in the lives of innocent people too. 

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

I'm not sure how this relates to the topic you posted for this thread.   Is there something about this situation that you are afraid to relate to others?   

Drugs are bad.  Drugs make people do stupid things.   Drugs cause disasters in people's lives,  and yes, in the lives of innocent people too.

I think it has a lot to do with the topic of the thread.  People can't say what's on their minds, and it leads to a general misunderstanding about events that occur in our neighborhoods.  It's not just an academic discussion.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline truth_seeker

It has to do with political correctness, whereby plenty of folks criticized the cop for doing his job, as trained.

It is local, it was highly publicized, we have a very active facebook community. Now the police have been vindicated.

It is like Kate Streinle in San Francisco, taking away the illegal immigrant, ad back in drug problems, and EARLY RELEASE FROM PRISON.

Then add bleeding-heart political correct SJWs.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
It has to do with political correctness, whereby plenty of folks criticized the cop for doing his job, as trained.

It is local, it was highly publicized, we have a very active facebook community. Now the police have been vindicated.

It is like Kate Streinle in San Francisco, taking away the illegal immigrant, ad back in drug problems, and EARLY RELEASE FROM PRISON.

Then add bleeding-heart political correct SJWs.

Mix in the speed of the 24-hour news cycle, and I'm surprised you didn't have a riot, a death march for the officer, and a visit from the usual suspects demanding his immediate arrest and execution.

Very much on-topic.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

PC has silenced conversations as well.  It used to be jokes could be made at other's expense and vice versa.

Now you will wind up in jail if you joke.

Not joking is destructive in itself.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline truth_seeker

Mix in the speed of the 24-hour news cycle, and I'm surprised you didn't have a riot, a death march for the officer, and a visit from the usual suspects demanding his immediate arrest and execution.

Very much on-topic.
Well we had overnight vigils by the mother at the site of her son's death. And she did a "gofundme" for mney. She is a single mom of four, some who turned out well.

He grew up sort of troubled, got his sh*t together and served in the Navy, then lost it. Got busted for drugs, got discharged, came home and turned homeless, refused help from family or others.

3/14/2017 HBPD Arrests Tabares for felony battery
3/29/2017 Tabares sentaced to 2 years for that case
9/14/2017 Tabares released after serving less than 6 months of a 2 year sentence
9/19/2017 Tabares brutally beats HB resident to death
9/22/2017 Tabares physically attacks and attempts to disarm HBPD police officer/ cop shoots and kills him

Democrats in Sacramento support early release.