Author Topic: Ted Cruz Hits Chuck Grassley Where It Hurts Over King Corn Hard-Balling  (Read 1612 times)

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Re: Ted Cruz Hits Chuck Grassley Where It Hurts Over King Corn Hard-Balling
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2017, 01:12:03 am »
Well, I'm not so sure that Ted is happy with Trump; but Ted is doing his job and that's exactly what Trump expects.  Ted hasn't strayed from his convictions and it is serving him well right now.  I still don't think Trump actually likes him, but Trump knows that he is one of the few people he can actually trust.

I don't know if he likes Ted, but I suspect he admires him.

I heard a quote just after the primaries where DT said he didn't know if Cruz liked him, but Cruz was one heck of a fighter.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Fantom

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2017, 01:20:09 am »
I don't know if he likes Ted, but I suspect he admires him.

I heard a quote just after the primaries where DT said he didn't know if Cruz liked him, but Cruz was one heck of a fighter.

Would seem they are traveling the same road... to Rome.

Works for me, for now.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2017, 01:30:36 am »
I'm with Cruz. Ethanol has done little here to prop up corn prices, and IMO distorts the market with the mandate.

There are other and better ways to deal with ag products than the existing ethanol model.

Mom grew up on an IA farm.  When it came time none of the kids or us grandkids was interested in taking it over.  I got curious about just how many people in IA are actually associated with ag.  According to the BLS, total employment 1,632,300, non-farm employment 1,586,600.  That leaves about 46,000 people on the farm.  Of course, there are ancillary industries like fertilizer and machinery which are going to add a lot more jobs, but it sure seems to me like most IA voters are not involved with growing corn.  Many probably still vote thinking that corn is critical to IA, but is it?  If (note the "if") most farms are run by corporations  not based in IA, what good, aside maybe some taxes, does ag really do for the state (and hence, why would IA voters support ethanol)?

BTW, I did some research a while back on how ethanol impacted corn/beef prices.  In the few years after serious mandates were enacted, corn prices fell 60%.  I'd have to say I agree with you, that's not a very good job propping up prices.

My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2017, 01:58:42 am »
Mom grew up on an IA farm.  When it came time none of the kids or us grandkids was interested in taking it over.  I got curious about just how many people in IA are actually associated with ag.  According to the BLS, total employment 1,632,300, non-farm employment 1,586,600.  That leaves about 46,000 people on the farm.  Of course, there are ancillary industries like fertilizer and machinery which are going to add a lot more jobs, but it sure seems to me like most IA voters are not involved with growing corn.  Many probably still vote thinking that corn is critical to IA, but is it?  If (note the "if") most farms are run by corporations  not based in IA, what good, aside maybe some taxes, does ag really do for the state (and hence, why would IA voters support ethanol)?

BTW, I did some research a while back on how ethanol impacted corn/beef prices.  In the few years after serious mandates were enacted, corn prices fell 60%.  I'd have to say I agree with you, that's not a very good job propping up prices.

Interesting take from someone who's actually studied it.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2017, 02:21:05 am »
Ted Cruz is the ONLY politician this 69 year old man has ever seen to do EXACTLY in office what he promised to do while campaigning!

Massive green cards and expanding the H1B1 visa program?

And all of those things the Senate has accomplished in the last 5 years.

:pondering:
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 02:26:50 am by TomSea »

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2017, 02:34:04 am »

*Yawn*
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2017, 02:58:16 am »

Oh, Tom, Tom.  You were on a good streak for a while.  I have actually been reading your comments and agreeing with many of them.  Then, wham, off the rails you go.   

Offline TomSea

« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2017, 03:41:05 am »
Never mind that this is Red State, never Trumper cheerleaders.

Busted Team Cruz apologizes for lying hit piece saying Rubio mocked staffer for reading Bible
February 22, 2016 | Michael Dorstewitz | Print Article

The Cruz campaign was left with egg on its face Sunday.

It was incorrectly reported that Sen. Marco Rubio mocked a Ted Cruz campaign staffer for reading the Bible. Compounding the error, Rick Tyler, the Communications Director for the Texas Republican’s run for the White House, posted the misinformation on his Facebook page.

The falsehood stemmed from a YouTube video of the Florida Republican entering a hotel lobby and encountering the young staffer reading a Bible alongside Cruz’s father.

Continued at: http://www.bizpacreview.com/2016/02/22/busted-team-cruz-apologizes-for-lying-hit-piece-saying-rubio-mocked-staffer-for-reading-bible-308823

It was a campaign, there is a lot of give and take, Senator Cruz has plausible deniability but I certainly do not envy one of the dirtiest campaigns in memory.

The Bible is the inspired word of God, so this was pretty bad.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2017, 06:24:23 am »

It's the derivative industries where most of the ag-related employment is. It also provides a huge amount of taxes - property, income, sales, and there is a great deal of accumulated wealth from the ag industry. Most small towns would dry up without it, and even a few bigger ones.

One of the big sources of the problem is that Iowa is first in the nation in the Presidential nomination schedule. When I was back in politics I was a huge advocate of getting rid of that, because IMO it has a very negative effect on our state. Get rid of that political leverage and the ethanol mandate would be gone, and would force the ag industry to shed some of it's fossilized attitudes and align to the reality of the market.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2017, 07:25:53 am »
Plus, it's really bad for certain cars.

It absolutely kills small motors like weedeaters and leaf blowers. Yep, I made that mistake a couple of times.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2017, 08:35:41 am »
It would be and the Court would be the better for it, but I still don't want him on the court.

I want him in the White House.
I think it would be interesting for him to get a tour of duty at 1600 PA Ave, but on the SCOTUS he could have more and longer influence. It would be interesting if he could do both, making him the first man in US History to hold office in all three branches.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 08:07:04 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline TomSea

« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2017, 09:48:36 am »
Pretty easy to be perfect when there is nothing done to criticize. Rand Paul, looking at you.  *****rollingeyes*****

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2017, 08:24:27 pm »
It absolutely kills small motors like weedeaters and leaf blowers. Yep, I made that mistake a couple of times.
It's hell on outboard motors, too.

The real problem with the mandate is that it mandates the mixture of a set amount of ethanol with motor fuels sold in a year. It makes no allowance for the amount of fuel sold, which means the mandate might require the amount of ethanol blended into a gallon of "gas" to be greater than 10%. After 10% many auto warranties are voided. Considering that ethanol blended gasoline already causes issues with fuel systems in older vehicles, and that corrosion, seals and O-rings eaten out, carburetors clogged, in thousands of generators, small engines in lawn and tilling equipment, outboard motors, motorcycles, ATVs, and other devices which are used every day in blue collar America for fun and profit, which have sometimes been terminally damaged, the forced blending of alcohol into motor fuels has done no small amount of economic damage. To continue pushing this ill-advised policy is a disappointment, but Trump promised the GOP brass in Iowa that is what he would do. (That promise, in contrast to Cruz's to eliminate the mandate and let the marketplace decide was key in my early decision to back Cruz.)

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2017, 08:51:46 pm »
It's the derivative industries where most of the ag-related employment is. It also provides a huge amount of taxes - property, income, sales, and there is a great deal of accumulated wealth from the ag industry. Most small towns would dry up without it, and even a few bigger ones.

One of the big sources of the problem is that Iowa is first in the nation in the Presidential nomination schedule. When I was back in politics I was a huge advocate of getting rid of that, because IMO it has a very negative effect on our state. Get rid of that political leverage and the ethanol mandate would be gone, and would force the ag industry to shed some of it's fossilized attitudes and align to the reality of the market.

Totally agree.  Our primary system needs reform in a big way.

Not totally sure how it should be done.  Thinking maybe all states should vote at the same time but ... somebody smarter than me needs to figure it out.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2017, 08:54:47 pm »
I think it would be interesting for him to get a tour of duty at 1600 PA Ave, but on the SCOTUS he could have more and longer influence. It would be interesting if he could do both, making him the first man in US History to hold office in all three branches.

It's an influential position and Ted's influence would be great.  But it's totally behind the scenes except for us wonks.

Example:  I know Hawaii is not on the cutting edge of societal evolution but my doctor here did not know who Ruth Bader Ginsburg is.  I mentioned her in connection with her estimable dedication to exercise and staying healthy and he said, "I don't know who that is."

I want Ted on the front lines.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2017, 09:05:53 pm »
Totally agree.  Our primary system needs reform in a big way.

Not totally sure how it should be done.  Thinking maybe all states should vote at the same time but ... somebody smarter than me needs to figure it out.

Best proposal I've seen would be to have IA, NH, and a western state like NV on the same day or three successive days in the same week.

And it's not only the ethanol issue. People here are so spoiled that they won't hardly pay attention to anything other than Presidential candidates and practically ignore everything else.
The Republic is lost.

Offline corbe

« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2017, 09:38:00 pm »
   Job #1 CLOSE all Republican Primaries to crossover voters. This is a travesty.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2017, 09:42:39 pm »

:amen:  Never gonna happen!  The elites would lose their ability to manipulate.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2017, 10:11:40 pm »

No open primaries.  The very concept is ridiculous.

« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2017, 10:27:05 pm »

Need voter ID first.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2017, 10:30:31 pm »
Need voter ID first.

Let's do them both at the same time.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2017, 10:50:18 pm »
If you think primaries are bad, try a caucus. They are party run affairs so there is no consistent set of rules other than being registered with the party of the caucus you are attending.

Problem is, such as here in Iowa, you can register as a Republican when you walk in the door and change it the next day.

And there are no official ballots. Most times it's written on slips of paper then handed in, then the party volunteers count them. After that they fill out the paperwork forms of the party indicating the vote.

There are so many steps where fraud could be introduced. I caught my own chairman committing fraud in '12 for Romney by 'losing' the forms for certain Santorum friendly precincts. It ended up being national news about the missing precincts in our county.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2017, 10:52:18 pm »
If you think primaries are bad, try a caucus. They are party run affairs so there is no consistent set of rules other than being registered with the party of the caucus you are attending.

Problem is, such as here in Iowa, you can register as a Republican when you walk in the door and change it the next day.

And there are no official ballots. Most times it's written on slips of paper then handed in, then the party volunteers count them. After that they fill out the paperwork forms of the party indicating the vote.

There are so many steps where fraud could be introduced. I caught my own chairman committing fraud in '12 for Romney by 'losing' the forms for certain Santorum friendly precincts. It ended up being national news about the missing precincts in our county.
We had a caucus. But not this last time, not for POTUS, not in this state. No caucus, no primary, no voice. That's when I quit the GOP.

C S Lewis

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2017, 11:03:23 pm »
We had a caucus. But not this last time, not for POTUS, not in this state. No caucus, no primary, no voice. That's when I quit the GOP.

Yeah WTH was that? Some screwy good old boy insider convention crap, the delegates didn't even know what candidate the person they voted for supported.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2017, 11:09:49 pm »
Yeah WTH was that? Some screwy good old boy insider convention crap, the delegates didn't even know what candidate the person they voted for supported.
That was the last straw for me. They can have their little party, but I'm not going to be part of it.

C S Lewis