Author Topic: Joe Straus will not seek re-election  (Read 3694 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: Joe Straus will not seek re-election
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2017, 03:01:34 am »
Yep.  The weeds need cutting in more than one place.

Sorry.  Things have been grim lately and my sense of humor has gotten thin.  I've got to work on that.  Don't want to be humorless.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2017, 12:05:37 pm »
Sorry.  Things have been grim lately and my sense of humor has gotten thin.  I've got to work on that.  Don't want to be humorless.
No, especially if you are running for that election seat you hinted at.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline endicom

« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2017, 12:38:05 pm »
Second Texas Judge Leaves The Republican Party In The Age Of Donald Trump: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/texas-judge-leaves-gop_us_580e4c64e4b02444efa48743

Parish: In her announcement, Parish goes after the Donald Trump for making “a mockery of our country and our citizenry.” From her video announcement:

Jennings: “As the father of two daughters, and the son of a woman born before the ratification of the 19th Amendment, I am equally excited that we are about to elect our first woman president,”

This judge lost reelection after switching to Dem: https://www.dallasnews.com/news/politics/2016/10/17/texas-judge-larry-meyers-switched-parties-become-democrat-putting-job-jeopardy

Looks like Texas is experiencing the political shakeout witnessed elsewhere.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2017, 01:05:18 pm »
Looks like Texas is experiencing the political shakeout witnessed elsewhere.

And that is a VERY good thing!   :beer:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online corbe

« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2017, 03:54:49 pm »
What will Joe Straus do with his $10 million in unspent campaign funds?

State ethics laws grant elected officials wide latitude on how they use their political contributions while in office — meaning there's a lot outgoing House Speaker Joe Straus could do with his $10 million campaign war chest.

by Jim Malewitz and Alana Rocha Oct. 26, 2017 10 hours ago

A maelstrom of questions swirled in the Texas Capitol Wednesday when House Speaker Joe Straus announced he would not seek re-election to his House seat. 

Among them: What will he do with his enormous war chest?

Straus, a powerful moderate Republican who has served as speaker for five terms, reported nearly $10 million in unspent campaign cash through June, according to a filing with the Texas Ethics Commission.

On Wednesday, he told The Texas Tribune he would spread the wealth to Republicans who are running in 2018.

<..snip..>

https://www.texastribune.org/2017/10/26/joe-straus-sitting-10-million-and-not-seeking-re-election-what-can-he-/
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2017, 03:56:18 pm »
What will Joe Straus do with his $10 million in unspent campaign funds?

State ethics laws grant elected officials wide latitude on how they use their political contributions while in office — meaning there's a lot outgoing House Speaker Joe Straus could do with his $10 million campaign war chest.

by Jim Malewitz and Alana Rocha Oct. 26, 2017 10 hours ago

A maelstrom of questions swirled in the Texas Capitol Wednesday when House Speaker Joe Straus announced he would not seek re-election to his House seat. 

Among them: What will he do with his enormous war chest?

Straus, a powerful moderate Republican who has served as speaker for five terms, reported nearly $10 million in unspent campaign cash through June, according to a filing with the Texas Ethics Commission.

On Wednesday, he told The Texas Tribune he would spread the wealth to Republicans who are running in 2018.

<..snip..>

https://www.texastribune.org/2017/10/26/joe-straus-sitting-10-million-and-not-seeking-re-election-what-can-he-/

That's disturbing.

Online corbe

« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2017, 06:10:45 pm »
  That $10M would go a long way for Abortion Barbie to challenge Ted. /s
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2017, 06:21:40 pm »
  That $10M would go a long way for Abortion Barbie to challenge Ted. /s

I was just hoping he'd keep it as blood money so he can retire to a Chateau in the Ozarks.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2017, 06:22:03 pm »
Straus, a powerful moderate Republican

Moderate my AZZ!!!  And certainly NOT a Republican!

I don't give a flying F what he does with his $10 MM war chest!  I'm going to do every thing I can to defeat the remainder to those like him in the House and Senate!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2017, 06:50:59 pm »
Texas House Speaker Joe Straus abruptly announced Wednesday that he will not be running for reelection and will be giving up his position as speaker at the end of his current term. This is major victory for grassroots activists who have mobilized local Republican parties across the state to call for Straus to be removed.

But now is not the time to celebrate. It’s time to escalate.
Taxpayers must be vigilant to ensure that Straus is not able to install a hand-picked successor who will continue to be controlled by Democratic lobbyist Gordon Johnson and liberal special interests. That means being more engaged than ever in the upcoming elections to ensure that those Republican sycophants who have propped up Straus will be removed from power as well.

Earlier this year Straus earned a spot on the Citizens’ Choice Ten Worst List wherein he was labeled “The Puppet” for serving as a public face for Johnson, the Democratic Caucus, and a group of liberal Republicans. Whether his retirement will mean the ouster of his puppet-masters remains to be seen.

During the regular and special session this year, Straus went to war with Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick and Gov. Greg Abbott, and the Republican Party of Texas, obstructing each of their conservative agendas on property tax reform, privacy, ethics, gun rights, and others issues. Straus appears to now be paying the price for aligning himself against voters and the leaders they have popularly elected.

Excerpt.  More:  https://empowertexans.com/features/straus-quits-legislature/
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 06:52:07 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2017, 04:41:58 pm »
Related articles:
http://www.tylerpaper.com/TP-News+State/308967/straus-earthquake-could-shake-up-texas-politics-for-years

House Speaker Joe Straus unleashed a political earthquake Wednesday when he announced he would not seek re-election next year. 

The policy aftershocks could be felt for years.

"This is really an earth-shattering event for politics,” said Rice University political scientist Mark Jones. “It's tough to overstate the relevance of this for Texas politics. The political center of the state collapsed today."

More than any other Texas Republican with real power, Straus was seen as a voice of moderation. On issue after issue, he and his team alone stood in the way of the kind of runaway populism that Donald Trump championed and major statewide Republicans endorsed.

https://spectator.org/good-riddance-joe-straus/
“This is a sad day for TX,” tweeted Wendy Davis, the Democratic ex-gubernatorial candidate and abortion enthusiast. Straus “is the definition of public servant – always people above party.”
More than anything else, the quote by Wendy Davis solidifies this to be a very good event.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 04:45:17 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2017, 04:50:55 pm »
Related articles: More than anything else, the quote by Wendy Davis solidifies this to be a very good event.

Yeah, I notice a lot of gushing from the usual Democrat suspects over Jeff Flake, too.  That means it's good.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2017, 04:56:36 pm »
Yeah, I notice a lot of gushing from the usual Democrat suspects over Jeff Flake, too.  That means it's good.

Absolutely!   :beer:

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2017, 04:59:08 pm »
On issue after issue, he and his team alone stood in the way of the kind of runaway populism that Donald Trump championed and major statewide Republicans endorsed.

This is the kind of garbage that  9999hair out0000 

The press is the ENEMY!

- J. R. R. Tolkien