Author Topic: Joe Straus will not seek re-election  (Read 3689 times)

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Joe Straus will not seek re-election
« on: October 25, 2017, 03:43:52 pm »
Just released by Speaker Straus:

I first ran for the Texas House in 2005 to be a voice for our community and for the principles that I had spent years advancing behind the scenes. It did not occur to me that I would ever become Speaker of the House. (And I've learned that it didn't occur to anyone else, either!)
However, after an unusual and unexpected chain of events, my 149 colleagues chose me to be our presiding officer less than four years later. I've since won re-election four times with the support of an overwhelming majority of House Members from each political party. In every legislative session, I've tried to bring real solutions to real challenges. For example, we've made significant gains in K-12 and higher education, water, transportation, and mental health care. But just as important as what we've done is the way in which we've done it. Even as politics has become more tribal and divisive, I've led by bringing people together and working across party lines. We've fallen short at times. But on our best days, we have shown that there is still a place for civility and statesmanship in American politics.
I believe that in a representative democracy, those who serve in public office should do so for a time, not for a lifetime. And so I want you to know that my family and I have decided that I will not run for re-election next year. My time as a State Representative and as Speaker will end at the conclusion of my current term.
Just as my ascension to the Speaker's office was unconventional and my approach to governing is unusual in these divisive times, I know this is also an unexpected decision. It's been decades since someone has left the Speaker's office on his own terms. But we have accomplished what I had hoped the House would accomplish when I first entered this office, and I am increasingly eager to contribute to our state in new and different ways.
Instead of acting on behalf of the entire House, I will now have a greater opportunity to express my own views and priorities. I will also continue to work for a Republican Party that tries to bring Texans together instead of us pulling us apart. Our party should be dynamic and forward-thinking, and it should appeal to our diverse population with an optimistic vision that embraces the future. I plan to be a voice for Texans who want a more constructive and unifying approach to our challenges, from the White House on down.
I want to thank Julie and our daughters, Sara and Robyn, for their love and support. I also want to thank my parents, Joci and Joe, who have set a wonderful example for me and taught me a true appreciation for public service. I want to thank my House colleagues for giving me the privilege of leading, and I want to thank the members of my staff who have worked so tirelessly to help the House succeed. Most of all, I want to thank the people of District 121 in Bexar County for giving me the chance to work on your behalf. Your strong support has provided a foundation upon which I could stand and provide leadership for our entire state.
One of my heroes, President George H.W. Bush, said, "Any definition of a successful life must include serving others." I am grateful for the opportunity to lead the Texas House, and I look forward to talking to you more in the future about my continued service to the state of Texas.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
Re: Joe Straus will not seek re-election
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 03:46:20 pm »
Hot damn! Now that's some good news!
Let it burn.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 03:53:22 pm »
Hot damn! Now that's some good news!

@Ghost Bear

Let me sweeten the pie a little for you!

« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 03:53:49 pm by Bigun »

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 03:55:31 pm »
Fantastic!

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 04:05:34 pm »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 04:16:51 pm »
W I N N I N G ! ! !

Could be.   Could just be.

Now we need to replace Kacal and Carter.  I'm sure there are others, but I know those two.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 04:18:14 pm »
W I N N I N G ! ! !

We're having a good week.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 04:18:59 pm »
Could be.   Could just be.

Now we need to replace Kacal and Carter.  I'm sure there are others, but I know those two.

And Earnest Bailes! The list is long!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
The Republic is lost.

Offline thackney

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2017, 04:49:15 pm »
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2017, 04:50:39 pm »
We're having a good week.

@Cyber Liberty

I'm sitting here dancing in my chair!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 04:51:09 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline aligncare

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2017, 04:59:09 pm »

Could this be another example of the Trump Effect? I’m not familiar enough with Texas politics to credit this to Trump’s influence on the fortunes of local politicians.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2017, 05:00:39 pm »
...and another one gone....and another one gone.....another one bites the dust!

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2017, 05:00:57 pm »
Could this be another example of the Trump Effect? I’m not familiar enough with Texas politics to credit this to Trump’s influence on the fortunes of local politicians.

Nope!

This is the result of 10 long years of hard work by grassroots conservatives in Texas!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2017, 05:03:50 pm »
Nope!

This is the result of 10 long years of hard work by grassroots conservatives in Texas!

You've been fighting against him as long as I can remember (which isn't all that long).  This is quite a change of fortune...wasn't Straus talking about challenging Abbot?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2017, 05:13:49 pm »
You've been fighting against him as long as I can remember (which isn't all that long).  This is quite a change of fortune...wasn't Straus talking about challenging Abbot?

@Cyber Liberty

Still might!  I hope he does!  He will find out just how unpopular he really is!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 05:31:12 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2017, 05:29:57 pm »
For those who don't know the story the following is the Cliff note version of the cliff notes.

Jan. 2009 Joe Straus (RINO) conspired with the Democrats and 11 other (Rinos) in the Texas House to oust speaker Tom Craddick and get himself elected speaker.

June 2010 I and a few others started passing out 4" Circular stickers with the words  "Oust Straus" on them at the Republican state convention.

(I passed out thousands of those in 2012 - 2016 as well.)

Since then the Republican majority in the Texas house has grown greatly, ALL 11 of the original RINO Conspirators have been un-elected, and today the Speaker himself has decided to call it quits! Along with his chief Lt. Byron Cook.

GREAT day for Texas! 

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Just_Victor

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2017, 05:32:18 pm »
Good riddance you leftist puke!
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2017, 05:47:56 pm »
For those who don't know the story the following is the Cliff note version of the cliff notes.

Jan. 2009 Joe Straus (RINO) conspired with the Democrats and 11 other (Rinos) in the Texas House to oust speaker Tom Craddick and get himself elected speaker.

June 2010 I and a few others started passing out 4" Circular stickers with the words  "Oust Straus" on them at the Republican state convention.

(I passed out thousands of those in 2012 - 2016 as well.)

Since then the Republican majority in the Texas house has grown greatly, ALL 11 of the original RINO Conspirators have been un-elected, and today the Speaker himself has decided to call it quits! Along with his chief Lt. Byron Cook.

GREAT day for Texas!

And, Straus has done a number of dirty deeds during his tenure.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2017, 05:59:02 pm »
Great news!

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2017, 12:51:17 am »
Is Bannon now working at the state level?

This singlehandedly will give us a much better legislature.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2017, 12:53:56 am »

It's a political earthquake of epic proportion in Texas politics and don't you doubt for a minute that the  Straus forces don't have a plan in place!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2017, 01:50:58 am »

Bannon?  What does Bannon have to do with this?

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2017, 01:54:09 am »
Bannon?  What does Bannon have to do with this?

Nothing.  I think @IsailedawayfromFR was makin a funny.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2017, 02:48:35 am »
Nothing.  I think @IsailedawayfromFR was makin a funny.
Yep.  The weeds need cutting in more than one place.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington