Author Topic: Democratic Rep. Blames Harvey Weinstein’s Victims For Being Too Slutty  (Read 11828 times)

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Democratic Rep. Blames Harvey Weinstein’s Victims For Being Too Slutty
« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2017, 11:05:11 pm »
See Reply #7

That is again a statement from youself.   :thud:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #51 on: October 19, 2017, 11:06:40 pm »
Do you understand the physical power a man has over a young girl?   

Define "young".

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2017, 11:08:55 pm »
:poohappen:

Not around me it doesn't.  I'm old, fat and weird looking.   I'm like that cat I had to change my Avatar from.  I don't even have pictures of myself on Bookface.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline musiclady

« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2017, 11:09:07 pm »
Define "young".

Not that it matters, but in her teens....

How much does Harvey weigh?  Over two hundred, I'd say.

How much do most young actresses weigh?  Less than 120, I'd say.

Are you really not aware of the physical peril than men put women in?  Are you really not aware of the risk involved in fighting back, or reporting in a power situation?

C'mon, dfwgator.  You're not that dense.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #54 on: October 19, 2017, 11:13:27 pm »
Define "young".

Eva Green's mom said she was 37 when Weinstein went after her so Eva must have been very young- 16 or 17. I think Molly Ringwald said she was 16.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #55 on: October 19, 2017, 11:16:34 pm »
Not that it matters, but in her teens....

How much does Harvey weigh?  Over two hundred, I'd say.

How much do most young actresses weigh?  Less than 120, I'd say.

Are you really not aware of the physical peril than men put women in?  Are you really not aware of the risk involved in fighting back, or reporting in a power situation?

C'mon, dfwgator.  You're not that dense.

Don't these women have agents?  Why wouldn't they insist that their agent sit in with them, so they weren't alone with Weinstein?  I don't want to excuse Weinstein, that never was my intent.  But it just seems to me there were some things that could have been done to diffuse what you call the "power situation."

Offline musiclady

« Reply #56 on: October 19, 2017, 11:36:05 pm »
Don't these women have agents?  Why wouldn't they insist that their agent sit in with them, so they weren't alone with Weinstein?  I don't want to excuse Weinstein, that never was my intent.  But it just seems to me there were some things that could have been done to diffuse what you call the "power situation."

Since neither of us is on the inside track, nor can personally comprehend the perversion of Hollywood, let's just assume that there was no one else in the room with Harvey and these teenaged girls.

The blame  lies squarely on the shoulders of the pedophile pervert, NOT the girls.

He had ALL the power.

It's really not that difficult to understand, so I'll let you figure the rest out for yourself.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #57 on: October 19, 2017, 11:37:51 pm »
Sorry, in my world there is no reason or excuse for sexually abusing anyone.  It concerns me greatly that some people here think that because someone exhibited poor judgement that made them fair game for a sexual predator.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #58 on: October 19, 2017, 11:42:56 pm »
Sorry, in my world there is no reason or excuse for sexually abusing anyone.  It concerns me greatly that some people here think that because someone exhibited poor judgement that made them fair game for a sexual predator.

It concerns me as well.

And might likely be an indicator as to why the problem persists in this kind of abuse.

Why it is not universally and soundly condemned concerns me greatly.

(I had the same response on this forum when a couple of "the guys" here excused Trump and his sexual predation).
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 11:43:33 pm by musiclady »

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #59 on: October 19, 2017, 11:43:11 pm »

I absolutely agree!  Now has our agreement precluded it from happening?  I think not!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #60 on: October 19, 2017, 11:44:51 pm »
She's a member of two protected classes so it will all be ok for her.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #61 on: October 19, 2017, 11:45:12 pm »
I absolutely agree!  Now has our agreement precluded it from happening?  I think not!

You can blame Weinstein 100% until the cows come home, fine.....But how are we going to solve this problem going forward?   Hashtags ain't gonna cut it.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #62 on: October 19, 2017, 11:46:25 pm »
She's a member of two protected classes so it will all be ok for her.

A valid point.

There will be no negative consequences for her victim-blaming/pervert-excusing words.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #63 on: October 19, 2017, 11:48:01 pm »
You can blame Weinstein 100% until the cows come home, fine.....But how are we going to solve this problem going forward?   Hashtags ain't gonna cut it.

Sexual predators with shiny objects they can use to lure victims don't give one hoot in hell what we might think of their actions.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #64 on: October 19, 2017, 11:50:18 pm »

Maybe a good start would be not making statements that make it appear the victim did something to deserve the treatment they received.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #65 on: October 19, 2017, 11:51:45 pm »
Sexual predators with shiny objects they can use to lure victims don't give one hoot in hell what we might think of their actions.

No.  But this is one area when information and education will make a difference.

If women, who have been shamed into not reporting abuse and rape, begin to speak up in larger numbers, with  MORE support from people........ especially conservative men......... then changes can begin to take place.

But as long as a number of people continue to blame them for what a stronger, more powerful man did to them,  it's going to continue at the same pace.

We are not helpless here, Bigun.  A number of Christian Conservative men have begun to speak out, and this is GOOD.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #66 on: October 19, 2017, 11:52:25 pm »

Well one thing I hope comes from this is that more will  just say "No" to Hollywood, it's an evil place, and if they never produced one more piece of garbage, that would be fine with me.   We've got all the movies and TV Shows we'll ever need, already.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #67 on: October 19, 2017, 11:52:27 pm »
Maybe a good start would be not making statements that make it appear the victim did something to deserve the treatment they received.

:amen:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #68 on: October 20, 2017, 12:13:41 am »
I may be a little off here, but I think it would be great if people would stop looking for offense to take at every little word people say.  But I've been told I'm more than a little "off."
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline berdie

« Reply #69 on: October 20, 2017, 01:07:42 am »

You are correct. Hashtags won't fix it. And truth be known, it isn't just Weinstein or in Hollywood. It happens all the time in all phases of life.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #70 on: October 20, 2017, 01:53:06 am »
I may be a little off here, but I think it would be great if people would stop looking for offense to take at every little word people say.  But I've been told I'm more than a little "off."

There's a significant difference between taking offense at "every little word" and responding to words that are legitimately offensive.

That's what has happened here, and IMO, it has led to some healthy discussion that needs to take place.

@Cyber Liberty

Offline musiclady

« Reply #71 on: October 20, 2017, 01:27:02 pm »
You are correct. Hashtags won't fix it. And truth be known, it isn't just Weinstein or in Hollywood. It happens all the time in all phases of life.

A word about hashtags (in this situation)...... No, they won't "fix it," but as I have been on FB the past week or so, I have seen many women I know put #metoo by their names, and reveal that they have been sexually assaulted.

Now not one of these women has ever been to Hollywood other than perhaps to visit, and they are all ordinary women.... not starlets....... who have been assaulted by sexual predators, but many of whom haven't spoken up before.

It is HARD to tell others that you've been assaulted.  It is HARD to make it public.   But it is critical to healing to do so.

The hashtag, in this case, is good for the women who have been victims...... some as young as 3 when it happened...... THREE!   It is an important step in their own personal recovery, and is not some dumb liberal response to a tragedy that doesn't help.  In this case, it DOES help.  It helps the victims of monstrous men heal.

The insensitivity to the victims of assault by some conservative men is troubling.

Take this seriously please.

Please.

@RoosGirl   @dfwgator  @SZonian  @berdie  @Bigun  @AbaraXas @Cyber Liberty
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 01:27:22 pm by musiclady »

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #72 on: October 20, 2017, 01:35:47 pm »
Even Monica Lewinsky tweeted #MeToo......Really?!?!?!?!

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #73 on: October 20, 2017, 01:38:22 pm »
A word about hashtags (in this situation)...... No, they won't "fix it," but as I have been on FB the past week or so, I have seen many women I know put #metoo by their names, and reveal that they have been sexually assaulted.

Now not one of these women has ever been to Hollywood other than perhaps to visit, and they are all ordinary women.... not starlets....... who have been assaulted by sexual predators, but many of whom haven't spoken up before.

It is HARD to tell others that you've been assaulted.  It is HARD to make it public.   But it is critical to healing to do so.

The hashtag, in this case, is good for the women who have been victims...... some as young as 3 when it happened...... THREE!   It is an important step in their own personal recovery, and is not some dumb liberal response to a tragedy that doesn't help.  In this case, it DOES help.  It helps the victims of monstrous men heal.

The insensitivity to the victims of assault by some conservative men is troubling.

Please.

But I do take it seriously.  Nobody asked me if I did, somehow it's assumed I don't because I haven't mouthed some magic words.  I've worked in a large corporate environment for over 30 years, and one doesn't survive if one doesn't take harassment very seriously.

What I will not do is assume guilt until innocence is proven.  Assuming innocence is not in the anti-harassment culture, hasn't been since the 80's, and I consider that a problem.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #74 on: October 20, 2017, 01:50:39 pm »

Please.

I DO take it seriously!  Probably more so than most!  But hashtags won't fix it!   Only fixing our culture will do that and we are a LONG way from that happening! 

Every day that William Jefferson Clinton is still walking around a free man gives testament to that sad fact!

- J. R. R. Tolkien